Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM

Well, I'm being financially extorted

Somehow, someone has gotten ahold of my email address and after months of niceties is now trolling me for money.

This started back in June, but she's picked up her story now. She now lives in California, her mom in the UK is suddenly sick.

She needs $800 to save her mom. I've been responding and hinting I may help.

I've been dragging this along. Ha ha!

Last edited by Leaffan; 11-10-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 PM

OK. This is getting funny!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 PM

You should make up a disaster of your own and tell her how poor you are. You may even need a bit of cash to get by. Sob story.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:33 PM

You have to share the emails with us!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 PM

This is what happens when you reply to spam email is a very entertaining 2015 TED Talk by James Vetch.

I look forward to Leaffan's SDMB Posts about his experience!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 11-10-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: 2015 not 2016
Old 11-10-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
You should make up a disaster of your own and tell her how poor you are. You may even need a bit of cash to get by. Sob story.
I love the way you think!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
This is what happens when you reply to spam email is a very entertaining 2015 TED Talk by James Vetch.

I look forward to Leaffan's SDMB Posts about his experience!
Loved that Bo. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Oh, you tease. It isn't really extortion, is it? More like pleading.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:08 PM

I told her I didn't know how to use PayPal because our banks are different in Canada.

She suggested Money Gram.

I told her I'd look into it and get back tomorrow.

I'm going to drag this on forever.

Last edited by Leaffan; 11-10-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

I think you should really (not really) send her a bunch of money and then express confusion and amazement at how it hasn't come through.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Checkbox, Delete
Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
I think you should really (not really) send her a bunch of money and then express confusion and amazement at how it hasn't come through.
Maybe held by the Bank of Canada for tax reasons, or held up by the Trump administration due to the new trade agreement or tarrifs!

Ya. That's it. I'm going to ask for an account and blame it on Trump!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Thank god for the NHS.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:47 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

You could send her the money in iTunes gift cards, but you've been told that they won't work in the U.S., because the Canadian ones are all metric.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Is the scammer aware of how healthcare works in the UK? I'm not aware of anyone being refused life-saving treatment that costs $800.

I realise I'm treating this with a seriousness it doesn't deserve and that facts won't change things but it might be a little nugget worth holding in reserve for later in your fun and games.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 AM

I'd be tempted to claim you sent the money (without actually sending any) and then just not reply to any message for a couple of days. When you get back, send a message that you were detained for questioning regarding suspected money laundering and tax evasion. All your financial records and communications are being investigated for potential wrongdoing on your part. Tell your friend that if the investigators contact her then she should cooperate fully.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I'd be tempted to claim you sent the money (without actually sending any) and then just not reply to any message for a couple of days. When you get back, send a message that you were detained for questioning regarding suspected money laundering and tax evasion. All your financial records and communications are being investigated for potential wrongdoing on your part. Tell your friend that if the investigators contact her then she should cooperate fully.
I totally vote for this strategy.

mmm
Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Tell her you want to send her $300, but that she needs to send you a $50 'processing fee' first.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Tell her you want to send her $300, but that she needs to send you a $50 'processing fee' first.
For the Win!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Scan some cash and email the picture as an attachment.

That's how you send money electronically, right?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Your response:

"I was so saddened by the news of your mother's illness. I do hope she will get better. Of course I want to help. I gathered up what money I could find and found $800. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough, but by the grace of God, I had just enough.

"So I took the money to MoneyGram and they told me they would send it to you. But after I got home, I got a call from MoneyGram. They said they had frozen my transfer and it cannot be released until after I pay a fee of CAN$52.83. Of course I was angered and demanded an explanation. They said that MoneyGram is a United States company and because of the trade dispute with the United States, the Ministry of Finance has imposed a special export tariff on money transfers.

"I am just a simple person and do not understand these international matters and tariffs. But I was told that if I don't pay by Friday, the money I was trying to send for the benefit of your poor mother will be seized by the Ministry of Finance.

"I am despondent. I gave my last dollar hoping I could help save your mother. Perhaps you can help me? If you would wire CAN$53.28 to me, I could pay the tariff and the $800 would be on its way to your mother immediately."

When they write back saying they can't do this, respond with:

"As I said, I am a simple person just trying to help your poor mother. I do not understand all these tariffs and regulations and international matters. I am so scared and confused.

"Fortunately, my brother is coming back from a business trip on Thursday. He is a registered lawyer and a smart man. I will talk to him as soon as he gets back. I am certain he will know what to do.

"Please send my deepest condolences to your mother and wish her well for me."

This last part is to induce panic that "your brother" will tell you that you are being scammed and that the scammer needs to act before Wednesday.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM

I like this^^^.
Add some typos and emojis.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Leaffan, if you are truly a prince of a guy <crown smiley>, you’d tell her the $800 has been routed thru Nigeria.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Then contact her through a different email address claiming to be an investigator.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Is the scammer aware of how healthcare works in the UK? I'm not aware of anyone being refused life-saving treatment that costs $800.

I realise I'm treating this with a seriousness it doesn't deserve and that facts won't change things but it might be a little nugget worth holding in reserve for later in your fun and games.
Scammers include typos & false information so they can weed out critical thinkers. They want emotional, greedy respondents.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:34 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Dammit, we need a “Like “ button.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Your response:

"I was so saddened by the news of your mother's illness. I do hope she will get better. Of course I want to help. I gathered up what money I could find and found $800. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough, but by the grace of God, I had just enough.

"So I took the money to MoneyGram and they told me they would send it to you. But after I got home, I got a call from MoneyGram. They said they had frozen my transfer and it cannot be released until after I pay a fee of CAN$52.83. Of course I was angered and demanded an explanation. They said that MoneyGram is a United States company and because of the trade dispute with the United States, the Ministry of Finance has imposed a special export tariff on money transfers.

"I am just a simple person and do not understand these international matters and tariffs. But I was told that if I don't pay by Friday, the money I was trying to send for the benefit of your poor mother will be seized by the Ministry of Finance.

"I am despondent. I gave my last dollar hoping I could help save your mother. Perhaps you can help me? If you would wire CAN$53.28 to me, I could pay the tariff and the $800 would be on its way to your mother immediately."

When they write back saying they can't do this, respond with:

"As I said, I am a simple person just trying to help your poor mother. I do not understand all these tariffs and regulations and international matters. I am so scared and confused.

"Fortunately, my brother is coming back from a business trip on Thursday. He is a registered lawyer and a smart man. I will talk to him as soon as he gets back. I am certain he will know what to do.

"Please send my deepest condolences to your mother and wish her well for me."

This last part is to induce panic that "your brother" will tell you that you are being scammed and that the scammer needs to act before Wednesday.
Holy shit! That is good!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Holy shit! That is good!
Yes, very well played.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 PM

She's sent me four new emails today asking for help, and I've ignored them all.

I'll get back with an excuse later. It's strangely empowering.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Tell her you don't have any cash but you have your Grandma's engagement ring. Ask if she knows anyone who could give her a good price for it.

Then send her a piece of crap glass stone and alert the sheriff/police local to the address "she" gives you. If she gives you a USPS box you are golden, the postmasters LOVE nailing these folks. They have their own police force with a Federal mandate.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:08 PM

I've just told her I'm busy. She's sounding like she's getting desperate now, although obviously I'm probably not the only target she's dealing with.

I'm just going to keep this going.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Tell her you don't have any cash but you have your Grandma's engagement ring. Ask if she knows anyone who could give her a good price for it.

Then send her a piece of crap glass stone and alert the sheriff/police local to the address "she" gives you. If she gives you a USPS box you are golden, the postmasters LOVE nailing these folks. They have their own police force with a Federal mandate.
My sense is that, despite her claims to live in California, she (if she is a "she") lives in some third-world country.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Holy shit! That is good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
Yes, very well played.
Thanks, folks.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:51 PM

I actually responded to one once. The return address was purportedly someone I knew and he claimed to be desperate for money for his sick sister. He is a sufficient flake that, for all I knew, it could even have been true. I replied and said that if he could describe our last meeting, I would do it. I got no answer. Just for the record, our last meeting had been an absolutely improbable coincidence, but I will not describe it here. It was sufficiently memorable that he could not possibly have forgotten it.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 PM

I told her that I found a Western Union station at a Walmart near me (true actually) and she sent me her contact information for Williston, North Dakota. But she lives in California, apparently.

Last edited by Leaffan; 11-11-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 PM

OK. But aren't you in California?
-------------------------------------------------------
(Real information redacted)
City:Williston
State: North Dakota
Zip code:58801

Yes but my cousin took me to North Dakota because I was crying every night and can’t sleep well. So I’m with her for a while now.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 PM

She just asked me for my phone number to text me.

What could possibly go wrong with that?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 PM

Do it!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
She just asked me for my phone number to text me.

What could possibly go wrong with that?
Do not give your real number! Get a Google Voice number and use that.

https://voice.google.com
Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Or the phone number of the local Scientology compound. Or your ex - the really shitheaded one.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Anyone got Trump's phone numbe?. He could send her $5,000 and not miss it.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Thanks, folks.
Especially as how the requested amount of CAN$ changed from the first to the second request. A nice touch!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Possible follow up?

I have good news! I have spoken to my brother who has decided to help me and agreed that he would purchase a plane ticket to the UK (or California) to meet you and your mother and present you this gift in person. My brother says this is the only way to avoid any fees or government tariffs. God bless his heart.

At your earliest convenience, please advise me on when you are available to meet me as I need to purchase my airfare and make travel arrangements with haste. It must be true that God works in miraculous ways!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Or the phone number of the local Scientology compound.
I like this idea. I once filled out one of those Scientology "personality tests" in the name of a friend of mine. This was before I fully appreciated how awful the Scientologists were. I thought it was just kind of a funny prank. They bugged him a good long time. He was unamused.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Yes, that made me laugh. Of all the countries to pick for a "medical emergency", the one with free healthcare is the one she goes for. Or maybe this is the 'gullibility test' - if you're too dumb to know this, you're clearly an easier mark.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Yes, that made me laugh. Of all the countries to pick for a "medical emergency", the one with free healthcare is the one she goes for. Or maybe this is the 'gullibility test' - if you're too dumb to know this, you're clearly an easier mark.
??? Hold on, the UK is not the only country with free healthcare, in fact 32 out of the 33 "developed" nations have free universal health care. Care to guess who the hold out is?

I think you're gullibility test has backfired!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
??? Hold on, the UK is not the only country with free healthcare, in fact 32 out of the 33 "developed" nations have free universal health care. Care to guess who the hold out is?

I think you're gullibility test has backfired!
Yes, I know. But the point is that the scam would work better the other way around (although frankly $800 ain't covering anything more life-threatening than a splinter in the US).
Old 11-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Yes, I know. But the point is that the scam would work better the other way around (although frankly $800 ain't covering anything more life-threatening than a splinter in the US).
Agreed. I actually was joking with you but on re-read, sorry if it sounded like snark
Old 11-12-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
I have heard many females do this to guys who ask for nude pictures, they send a text that literally says "[downloading image]" and express amazement that their pictures are not going through
Old 11-12-2018, 07:29 PM

But what if it's legit and her ma really is sick? Or maybe Ma needs saving from Dirty Davie the local bookie who's gonna break her legs if she doesn't … pony up what she owes him? And here you are, vile Canadian, toying with these dear ladies. Shame on you. Shaaaame.