Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Things you didn't catch until the second or third viewing of a movie.

I watched No Country for Old Men for the 3rd time so my girlfriend could see it recently. I have never read the original Cormac McCarthy novel. This time though, I suddenly realized all the clues that the organization that has funded the drug sale around which the plot revolves is probably the CIA. The man who hires retired Colonel Carson Wells works in a building with an floor not visible from the street, he has no apparent criminal background, he can even hire a person like Wells anyway, etc.

Apparently this connection is part of the original story, but in the movie is subtle enough I just never noticed it before. Another great detail in a great movie.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 PM

Back to the Future II was one of my favorite movies growing up, but it wasn't until I bought the DVD as an adult and listened to the audio commentary that I realized Michael J Fox played Marty's daughter in 2015 as well as Marty's son. Afterwards I wonder how I ever missed that.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:40 PM

Years ago when my daughter was in Kindergarten, she would insist on watching the movie Toy Story everyday after I picked her up from school. This lasted for months from September until the weather finally warmed up around April when we could comfortably go down to the park to play. I must have watched it over 100 times. The strange thing was that every once in a while I would catch a small part of a scene that I had never noticed before. And this happened several times.

It makes me wonder if this would happen with other movies that most people view only once.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:17 AM

I had watched Sta Wars many times before I noticed the pair of silver dice hanging in the flight deck of the Millennium Falcon
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

BBC America had Psycho on one night during Halloween week. I've seen it plenty of times but my wife had never seen it all the way through, so I DVRed it so we could watch it later. One thing I had never noticed before, and probably wouldn't have even caught this time if I hadn't had CC on: at the end when Lila finds Mrs Bates in the cellar then Norman bursts in with the knife, he says "I am Norma Bates!" I've never heard that before, it kinda gets lost among the screaming and the screechy violins.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:46 AM

There's a few from the Omaha beach scene of Saving Private Ryan. For example, When Captain Miller is dragging the one soldier to safety, you get a brief glimpse of a Sherman tank equipped with the deep wading gear ventilation trunks in the background. Also, that scene were Wade and the other medics are trying to save the one soldier only to have that same soldier shot in the head after they stopped the bleeding wasn't just any soldier. Somehow I missed the part when told by somebody else to move on Wade says "He's battalion surgeon Sir!". I also didn't realize until I read Hal Baumgarten's book that this scene is loosely based on the actual fact that the 116th Regiments battalion surgeon insisted he be part of the first wave. He thought he would have a better chance of saving more lives if he landed early but sadly was killed not long after making it ashore.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 PM
SDSAB

I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey many times, and love it, but it was maybe on my fifth viewing that I noticed that Dr. Floyd's pep talk in the Clavius Base conference room is not a single shot, but is divided into several short takes from slightly different angles. I later read that the actor was struggling with his lines and Kubrick was frustrated not to be able to get the whole monologue in a single shot. I also noticed a Whirlpool logo on the food dispenser that the stewardess operates aboard the Moon shuttle, and IBM logos on both Bowman's spacesuit arm controls, and on the flatscreen computer pads on which he and Poole watch the BBC program about their mission. Bowman also burns his fingers a little on his meal as he removes it from the oven - all the fancy equipment aboard the Discovery, and they don't have hot mitts!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

In the animated movie Flushed Away Hugh Jackman does the voice of a rich spoiled mouse. In one scene he's trying on different outfits for a fancy dinner. One of the outfits was the original black and yellow striped Wolverine costume from the comic.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Another outfit is that of Wallace of Wallace and Gromit (same Animation Studio).
Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

When I saw the Disney version of Pinocchio the sub-plot where the boys transform into donkeys did not make much impact. I just seemed like what D&D gamers call a "random monster encounter".

When I saw the 1996 version, with Martin Landau and Jonathan Taylor Thomas, it still seemed kind of weird and pointless.

When I saw the 2002 version, with Roberto Benigni, there was a scene where one of the villains sighs, and says, "Look at these boys. They wouldn't go to school. They wouldn't learn a trade. Now they're only fit for donkey-work." I suddenly realized that it was not simply random bad guys doing random evil deeds. It was an allegory of ignorance and education. I now think that it is the coolest scene in the story.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM

On the 10th or 12th viewing of "This is Spinal Tap," I realized that when they talked about a music festival, it was on the Isle of Lucy, which is a pun of name of the TV show.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 PM

I just finished watching Silence Of The Lambs again. I was struck by all of the swastikas in Jamie Gumbs house. Yet no mention of him being a racist. I wonder if there is any significance?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 PM

This might not entirely count for this thread. But here we go.

I've watched The Thing hundreds of times on pan and scan VHS. Not until I saw it on laser disc at the correct aspect ratio did I notice that Clark palmed a scalpel before attacking mcready.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 AM

Just noticed this, in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan turns off the power to the speech the big bad is making using his middle finger. You don't really notice it either due to the angle but he's clearly flipping him the bird when he holds for the final switch, which is fitting because his goons had just beat the crap out of him a few moments ago.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM

I ended up watching The Usual Suspects probably four or five times, and somewhere around the 3rd viewing, I noticed that there's a scene where Kobayashi is filling everyone in with the plan and as he is doing so, he keeps looking over to one of the members, as though checking whether that person is okay with what he is saying and that he's saying it all correctly.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM
SDSAB

It wasn't until I think the fourth time or so I saw Galaxy Quest that I noticed Fred Kwan (Tony Shaloub) yawns as he steps out onto the surface of the alien world. He's the first human being to ever set foot on another planet, and he's just a little bored!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

A friend pointed out the little baggies that Fred Kwan is carrying constantly and suggested that he's stoned the whole time. His character's behavior makes a lot more sense that way.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
A friend pointed out the little baggies that Fred Kwan is carrying constantly and suggested that he's stoned the whole time. His character's behavior makes a lot more sense that way.
He was a snack food junky. Remember he moved away from the group to go to a vending machine when the rest were initially teleported.

He wasn't stoned, just not all that bright and lost in his own world.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
He was a snack food junky. Remember he moved away from the group to go to a vending machine when the rest were initially teleported.

I don't think so. He's a stoner with constant munchies..
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

There were a bunch in Airplane. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is a poster for Rocky X featuring Sylvester Stallone as an old man.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 PM

Likewise, in the Naked Gun, there's a joke that runs through a scene that Drebin's refrigerator is full of some nasty spoiled food, culminating in something actually pulsating on top of the refrigerator.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

I thought we were certainly meant to think Fred was stoned. Guy even asks him if he's high when he comes up with the idea of teleporting the rock monster.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:54 PM

It took at least two viewings of Miller's Crossing for me to figure out that three of the characters are in a gay love triangle -- in part because there's no stigma attached to their homosexuality by any of the characters who discuss this, even though the film's set among macho (mostly Catholic) gangsters of the 1920s. (The closest to homophobic judgement I remember any character getting is when Tom Reagan/Gabriel Byrne puts a bit of a sneer into the word "friends" in a discussion with Bernie Bernbaum/John Turturro. But he's got plenty of reasons to sneer at Bernie.)
EDIT: The characters also display plenty of ethnic bigotry, so it's not like they're a bunch of tolerant live-and-let-live types.

Last edited by snoe; 11-13-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Just noticed this, in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan turns off the power to the speech the big bad is making using his middle finger. You don't really notice it either due to the angle but he's clearly flipping him the bird when he holds for the final switch, which is fitting because his goons had just beat the crap out of him a few moments ago.
"Mr. Kidd" in Diamonds are Forever[ similarly pushes the button sending the coffin containing Bond into the crematorium furnace (after making flamboyant swirls with his fingers -- meant to indicate that he's gay, I guess -- also using his middle finger.

OTOH, I don't think the use of the middle finger is always meant to be insulting. In the Hal Roach Babes in Toyland, Stan Laurel's character tries to re-attach Oliver Hardy's moustache with his middle finger, and I don't think that was intentional (especially in a kid's movie)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Every time I watch Pulp Fiction (and I've seen it at least ten times), I notice something in the background that acts as a continuity marker. In the opening shots at the diner, f'rinstance, you can see Vincent in his blue T-shirt, trudging to the toilet, over Yolanda's shoulder.

It also took me a while to recognize the significance of Butch's line to Fabienne, "I don't remember my dreams." It's because of his dream with Captain Koons telling him two men never abandon one another that he decides to say in the pawn shop and rescue Marsellus.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 PM

The Coen brother movies seem to keep on giving in this regard - there is always something new to notice or learn - you need to watch more than a few time to appreciate.

In The Big Lebowski, one of my favs, I did not at first notice that The Dude (Jeffrey Lebowski) appears in every scene in the movie. Even the one scene where they are showing only the gang ordering at the waffle shop (with Amiee Mann's chopped-off toe) - he is in Walter's white van in the background. I read this somewhere and had to watch again to confirm.

In No Country for Old Men, at the end, when Anton is driving away from his latest murder down a neighborhood street, and is broadsided by another car at an intersection and severely injured, I did not notice at first he actually has the green light: Thinking about what he said to Carson Wells earlier, before he shoots him: "If the rule you followed, led you here, what good was the rule?".

Last edited by snowthx; 11-13-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is my #1 desert island film that I've watched dozens of times over 45+ years on TV, the theater and various forms of video on everything from a 13" B/W set to a 55" HDTV, and I see or hear something new at each viewing. When I first got my Laserdisc edition, I watched the film twice (nearly 7 hours), the second time with film critic Donald Ritchie's outstanding commentary bringing up points about how Kurosawa carefully composed the background of each scene with everything heavily calculated.

Since then, I love watching what's going on in the background of variety shows when the celebrities think the cameras aren't catching their actions and reactions!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:09 AM

Two things from The Wizard of Oz (shown last night in Phoenix on the big screen):

Maybe it's because every time I watched it during my youth was on a B&W TV, but I never noticed until last night that when the Tin Woodsman cries, he has rust trails under his eyes. I know they always said "Don't cry, you'll rust", but I figured that was just an exaggerated warning, not a shown fact.

Second, despite not having a brain, it is the Scarecrow that comes up with the plan to rescue Dorothy.

And conversely, on the big screen it is very obviously a bird in the woods and not a suicidal Munchkin.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Second, despite not having a brain, it is the Scarecrow that comes up with the plan to rescue Dorothy.[/URL]
During their adventure to get the broom the Lion displays bravery, the Tinman displays emotions, the Scarecrow displays intelligence. Like Dorothy, they "always had the power".

(If anything, the diploma makes the Scarecrow stupider. He botches the Pythagorean Theorem.)

Last edited by ftg; 11-14-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:51 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Back to the Future II was one of my favorite movies growing up, but it wasn't until I bought the DVD as an adult and listened to the audio commentary that I realized Michael J Fox played Marty's daughter in 2015 as well as Marty's son. Afterwards I wonder how I ever missed that.
Hunh. I wouldn't know from looking at this still.

Good catch.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 PM
SDSAB

The box which Eddie Morra receives from the threatening Russian loanshark in Limitless containing
SPOILER:
the cut-off hands of his late bodyguards
is marked "Hand Delivery."
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
This might not entirely count for this thread. But here we go.

I've watched The Thing hundreds of times on pan and scan VHS. Not until I saw it on laser disc at the correct aspect ratio did I notice that Clark palmed a scalpel before attacking mcready.
Got another good one from The Thing...

***SPOILERS below if anyone hasn't seen the 36 yo movie yet***

The last scene of the movie when MacReady and Childs are the only two survivors... they're talking and sharing the bottle of whiskey while the camp burns.

We only see MacReady's breath in the cold air. We don't Childs' breath because he's not human.

Link to Youtube clip: https://youtu.be/GA4Ozqt7338
Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post

The last scene of the movie when MacReady and Childs are the only two survivors... they're talking and sharing the bottle of whiskey while the camp burns.

We only see MacReady's breath in the cold air. We don't Childs' breath because he's not human.

Excellent!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:36 PM

I re-watched Michael Clayton recently for a 3rd time and first recognized the centrality
of his son Henry's favorite (fictional) book, Realm & Conquest. Realm & Conquest can then be
connected up with Arthur's "post-breakdown" anti-corporate manifesto, A Summons to Conquest.
Even the horses on the hill at dawn were resolved (for me).
Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 PM

I was on my third or fourth viewing of the Kenneth Branagh version of Henry V before I noticed the long scene in which the King carries the dead Boy across the field of Agincourt (while the chorus sings "Non Nobis" on the soundtrack) was filmed in a single take. That must have taken a LOT of rehearsing.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post

From IMDB:
John Carpenter confirmed that Mac and Childs were both human at the end by endorsing The Thing (2002) as canon in relation to his film. In the game, Mac and Childs are revealed to be human.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:11 AM

Is it weird that I've seen all but one of the films mentioned in this thread?!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:50 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
From IMDB:
John Carpenter confirmed that Mac and Childs were both human at the end by endorsing The Thing (2002) as canon in relation to his film. In the game, Mac and Childs are revealed to be human.
Prior to Carpenter's declaration, I see the ending as ambiguous, visible exhalations or not.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Hunh. I wouldn't know from looking at this still.

Good catch.
Yeah, Michael J. Fox looked surprisingly good in drag.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
From IMDB:
Apparently there's an ongoing debate over the ending. I didn't realize.

I had read below, and thought that was the big reveal, but maybe it's not.

"[Carpenter] said he never understood where all the confusion came from. The last frame of The Thing is Kurt Russel (sic) and Keith David staring each other down, harshly backlit. It's completely, glaringly obvious that Kurt Russel is breathing and Keith David is not." {Emphasis his}

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Has-...ing-35887.html
Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The problem with saying that Keith David must be a Thing because he's not breathing is that there is no reason to think a Thing would not breathe. A Thing isn't a robot, it's a fully functioning creature with cells that need oxygen. It has all the same internal organs as a human when taking human form - we saw that on screen. Hell, Things in human form might even, at least at times, believe themselves to be human. It would make sense for it to breathe.

The film works much better if you have no idea if he's a Thing or not.

Last edited by RickJay; 11-15-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 PM

I've seen Blazing Saddles so many times I can understand every word of Gabby Johnson's speech. That's acting - saying something that sounds like utter gibberish, but is really a series of oddly accented words. YouTube link
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I thought we were certainly meant to think Fred was stoned. Guy even asks him if he's high when he comes up with the idea of teleporting the rock monster.
The point of that was Fred was very obviously stoned in every scene he was in before that, and at that point, it seemed like he was not, which is when Guy finally makes mention of it.

But the one thing you miss the first time you see the movie is pretty big: when Gwen and Jason are taking instruction from Brent, he says, just turn left and straight through the chompers, they round the corner and Gwen says, SCREW THIS!, but then you see it again and it is clear that Sigourney Weaver used a stronger word. I find it a beautiful allegory for how stultifyingly sanitary shows like what it parodying are made to be.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
There's a few from the Omaha beach scene of Saving Private Ryan. For example, When Captain Miller is dragging the one soldier to safety, you get a brief glimpse of a Sherman tank equipped with the deep wading gear ventilation trunks in the background. Also, that scene were Wade and the other medics are trying to save the one soldier only to have that same soldier shot in the head after they stopped the bleeding wasn't just any soldier. Somehow I missed the part when told by somebody else to move on Wade says "He's battalion surgeon Sir!". I also didn't realize until I read Hal Baumgarten's book that this scene is loosely based on the actual fact that the 116th Regiments battalion surgeon insisted he be part of the first wave. He thought he would have a better chance of saving more lives if he landed early but sadly was killed not long after making it ashore.
All of the memorable vignettes on Omaha Beach were based on anecdotes told by veterans who were there. Gives you pause to think it wasn't Hollywood hyper-violence.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM

The first time I watched Cabaret I was 13 IIRC. I knew there was a lot I was missing; I didn't care, I liked the music. But yeah, I may have understood about 5 minutes of it.

Last edited by Nava; 11-16-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
I've seen Blazing Saddles so many times I can understand every word of Gabby Johnson's speech.
Let me just whip this out: I have to add this to my list of movies I'd loved but no longer do. I tried just the other night to watch this with my wife who'd never seen it, and I couldn't get all the way to the end. I'm now afraid to watch any other of my beloved Mel Brooks' movies for fear of being disappointed.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
When I saw the Disney version of Pinocchio the sub-plot where the boys transform into donkeys did not make much impact. I just seemed like what D&D gamers call a "random monster encounter".

When I saw the 1996 version, with Martin Landau and Jonathan Taylor Thomas, it still seemed kind of weird and pointless.

When I saw the 2002 version, with Roberto Benigni, there was a scene where one of the villains sighs, and says, "Look at these boys. They wouldn't go to school. They wouldn't learn a trade. Now they're only fit for donkey-work." I suddenly realized that it was not simply random bad guys doing random evil deeds. It was an allegory of ignorance and education. I now think that it is the coolest scene in the story.
That's directly from Collodi. In Spanish we also refer to purposefully-stupid people as "donkeys" so for me the meaning of the scene was obvious, but I've explained it to foreign friends whose own language doesn't have a similar widely-used expression. Note that Benigni (who directed as well as playing Pinocchio) will have known the source material, not just the translations. I'd bet he added that little speech precisely as a sort of expository touch.

Last edited by Nava; 11-16-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Charter Jays Fan

"The Producers" still holds up.

For a widely beloved movie, "Fargo" has a central plot point - how Jerry took all the money from the car dealership, and why he needs to steal money from somewhere else - that is largely not understood. There'a logical explanation but it's not well explained. I'm not sure that qualified as a clever item easily missed, though.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
It took at least two viewings of Miller's Crossing for me to figure out that three of the characters are in a gay love triangle -- in part because there's no stigma attached to their homosexuality by any of the characters who discuss this, even though the film's set among macho (mostly Catholic) gangsters of the 1920s. (The closest to homophobic judgement I remember any character getting is when Tom Reagan/Gabriel Byrne puts a bit of a sneer into the word "friends" in a discussion with Bernie Bernbaum/John Turturro. But he's got plenty of reasons to sneer at Bernie.)
As I recall, Johnny Caspar didn't like it but he looked the other way because Eddie Dane was a useful enforcer.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The problem with saying that Keith David must be a Thing because he's not breathing is that there is no reason to think a Thing would not breathe. A Thing isn't a robot, it's a fully functioning creature with cells that need oxygen. It has all the same internal organs as a human when taking human form - we saw that on screen. Hell, Things in human form might even, at least at times, believe themselves to be human. It would make sense for it to breathe.

The film works much better if you have no idea if he's a Thing or not.
Yeah. One other 'thing' . McReady shares a bottle of whiskey with Childs. Whiskey kills cells. If Childs was a 'Thing' it should drive it nuts. After Mac sees Childs drink, he seems to become calmer and lay his head down.