Old 12-04-2018, 04:05 PM

This still exists?? Your moments right out of the past.

About a week ago a few of us visited friends in Canterbury, fifty or sixty miles South East of London. We went out to a village pub for lunch, driving out in two cars.

As we drove into the village, we were stopped by a closed level crossing. And as we sat and waited, Mrs Trep realised something remarkable. This level crossing was not barriered (you know, an up-and-down barrier), it was gated (a pair of real gates that swung closed like doors). Perplexed I got out to take a look - how on earth did the mechanism work to open and close the gate?

I strolled up to the lead car to chat about this oddity; and as I did, I heard a voice behind me say "I'm the mechanism" - and a woman in railway uniform emerged from a crossing keeper’s box (or whatever the correct term is) to explain that, four times an hour, every hour, she had to descend from her post and manually close the level crossing, swinging the gates shut, wait for the train to pass and then swing them open them again. And that’s exactly what she did.

Really?? I assumed these crossings all had been replaced with automated barriers in the (nineteen) sixties, but someone still has a job as a level crossing keeper (!). And this wasn’t a preserved railway – it was a main railway line.

So: your chance to report on weird anachronisms you have unexpectedly seen alive and well.

j
Old 12-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

This is a thing in Maine, USA too! I recently saw a story about it on the national news. It's not for a railroad, though, it's for a river lock. The Barters Island Bridge. It's slated to be replaced in "fall of 2018" but I don't know if they finished it yet.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:27 PM

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...bqAD3AQgTYIsAQ
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 PM

Mr.Wrekker brought home some weird brand of spam type canned meat with the key on it. I thought they did away with that years ago. I looked for a sell-by date thinking he bought it at some out-of-the-way Mom and Pop joint that had it on their shelves a few years. I ain't eatin' it.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Mr.Wrekker brought home some weird brand of spam type canned meat with the key on it. I thought they did away with that years ago. I looked for a sell-by date thinking he bought it at some out-of-the-way Mom and Pop joint that had it on their shelves a few years. I ain't eatin' it.
I would love the return of pull top tabs on sodas. The joy of putting it back in the can and forgetting about it until it ends up on your mouth on the last gulp! PRICELESS!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Opened up a spot welder today to troubleshoot and the damn thing was running on vacuum tubes. Like twenty of them. I've worked on some old machines but never anything that ran on tubes. I'm glad it was a power loss problem or I'd have been lost.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:45 PM

About 10 years ago when I was living in Japan, my employer gave me tickets to travel from my small town to a bigger city. The train platform was a small concrete pad, sans building, in the middle of a corn field. When the train came, it was one car with a diesel motor. I was the only passenger for about an hour until we reached the trunk line. All I could think was 'I am the world's luckiest introvert.' I would bet that line is still running but I can't remember the name.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Hand gates like this one?

Apparently that one didn't go (well, it's still there actually, they just permanently closed the road) until 1997! It's in a well-travelled inner suburb too.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable if I suggest that the number of inferences required to extrapolate the cause of Chinese population growth from your hairdresser's experience puts a burden on fundamental logic fair greater than it can reasonably bear. - RNATB
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
I would love the return of pull top tabs on sodas.

On the series Stan Against Evil, the deliberately cheap-prop-looking beer cans are pull-tops.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
About 10 years ago when I was living in Japan, my employer gave me tickets to travel from my small town to a bigger city. The train platform was a small concrete pad, sans building, in the middle of a corn field. When the train came, it was one car with a diesel motor. I was the only passenger for about an hour until we reached the trunk line. All I could think was 'I am the world's luckiest introvert.' I would bet that line is still running but I can't remember the name.

Here is a similar one.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I would love the return of pull top tabs on sodas. The joy of putting it back in the can and forgetting about it until it ends up on your mouth on the last gulp! PRICELESS!
Or drop it on the ground. Step on it barefoot and gash your foot open. Yikes!!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-04-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Or saving them for various craft projects? Just last weekend, I was at an estate sale, and a box of strings of them linked together was available for sale. One of the people looking at it, a 20-something, didn't know what they were.

Mallomars are only available in cool-weather months, because they melt in the heat.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Or saving them for various craft projects? Just last weekend, I was at an estate sale, and a box of strings of them linked together was available for sale. One of the people looking at it, a 20-something, didn't know what they were.
In the 80s we saved the ring part and used them to jam parking meters. The statute of limitations has hopefully passed.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 AM

I recently visited a hardware store run by an elderly lady and her cat.

There was cat hair on the merchandise. LOL

Don't see many pets at stores anymore. I remember it used to be pretty common to see a cat or dog hanging out. Sometimes it was a stray that found a warm home.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-05-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Coming home from a wedding a few years ago, I accidentally got Google Maps set to "walking" directions and we happened upon the last inland ferry in North Carolina. The explanation the ferryman gave us took longer than the trip across the river. Apparently, folks around there just really don't want a bridge.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Coming home from a wedding a few years ago, I accidentally got Google Maps set to "walking" directions and we happened upon the last inland ferry in North Carolina. The explanation the ferryman gave us took longer than the trip across the river. Apparently, folks around there just really don't want a bridge.
While Washington has good reason to have a lot of ferries in the Puget Sound area it's surprising that there are still some river ferries in Oregon. (Plus one ferry between OR and WA.) There are 3 ferries on the Willamette which isn't all that wide in those areas. Just put in a bridge. It's $5 to cross at Canby! And the free I-5 bridge is 3 miles away.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I remember those days. We heard stories about people putting the tab in the can and swallowing it, but never knew of anyone actually doing it. It was always the kids in <insert name of area "known" to be populated by stupid people>.

I'm suddenly reminded of a joke about if so-and-so moved to Oklahoma it would raise the average IQ in two states at once.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Mundanity and pointlessness enhanced!

OP again.

I was feeling guilty about not being able to remember the name of the village, so I tried to figure it out and check the result on google maps. It's Chartham, just outside of Canterbury, and look at this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.25...7i13312!8i6656

The google maps image actually catches a level crossing keeper in the act!!

(Though not the one we met ).

I mean, what are the chances of that?

j
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Forcing you to cruise on back home.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I recently visited a hardware store run by an elderly lady and her cat.

There was cat hair on the merchandise. LOL

Don't see many pets at stores anymore. I remember it used to be pretty common to see a cat or dog hanging out. Sometimes it was a stray that found a warm home.
For some reason cats and used bookstores seem to go together so I used to see this a lot. It's been over five years since I've been to a used bookstore so I'm not sure if this is still true.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Michigan still has three operating one room schoolhouses in 2018. One of them is in Bangor, MI which is sort of near where I live. They have about 30 students ranging in ages Kindergarten through eighth grade, all of whom are taught by 2 teachers. I'm amazed at what they do with those kids there with the few resources they have.

Narf!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Kids these days have no idea what the previous line even means.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I remember those days. We heard stories about people putting the tab in the can and swallowing it, but never knew of anyone actually doing it. It was always the kids in <insert name of area "known" to be populated by stupid people>.
I remember there was an episode of Emergency! in which one of the cases was, indeed, a guy who'd swallowed a pull-tab, and had gotten it lodged in his throat.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I remember there was an episode of Emergency! in which one of the cases was, indeed, a guy who'd swallowed a pull-tab, and had gotten it lodged in his throat.
Memory confirmed, or at the very least we are suffering from the same mis-recollection.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Happened to me once but fortunately there was booze in the blender.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
Happened to me once but fortunately there was booze in the blender.
Had some extra sandals too.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
The google maps image actually catches a level crossing keeper in the act!!

(Though not the one we met ).

I mean, what are the chances of that?
Well, if it take the keeper 2 minutes to close both gates then 2 minutes more to open them again and it happens at the same interval during all daylight hours, then the odds are roughly 1 in 4 that any given minute the picture is taken would include the keeper in action. I'll let you adjust the variables accordingly.

Last edited by Doctor Jackson; 12-05-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Memory confirmed, or at the very least we are suffering from the same mis-recollection.
I found it. Season 5, Episode 3, "Election," first aired 9/27/75. As per the summary description on Wikipedia:

Quote:
The firefighters first save a man who got his arm stuck in a drainpipe, then his brother, who swallows a beverage-can pull tab and aspirates.
In scanning through the episode descriptions, I'm struck by the number of cases of:
- rescuing someone who got their hand / arm stuck in something
- helping someone who became high or poisoned by ingesting something they didn't realize was harmful
Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM

I can think of one at Marston Lane (yup near where the battle of Marston Moor took place)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVcTrvuiuU

Theres another just up the same line a couple of miles

http://abcrailwayguide.uk/hessay-pub...-crossing-york
Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM

The list of countries with current lighthouse keepers is interesting. Several are listed as to when the last manned lighthouse was converted to automatic. Italy apparently still has quite a few.

The US no longer has any but Canada does. It esp. wants to keep the one on Machias Seal Island manned to maintain it's sovereignty claim. It's both manned and automatic.

"Hey guys, time to helicopter out to a godforsaken island for your fun 4 weeks of doing nothing. Let us know if the Yanks invade."
Old 12-05-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
Well, if it take the keeper 2 minutes to close both gates then 2 minutes more to open them again and it happens at the same interval during all daylight hours, then the odds are roughly 1 in 4 that any given minute the picture is taken would include the keeper in action. I'll let you adjust the variables accordingly.
Ahem. In most of those hypothetical minutes you would not see a keeper caught in the act. You would see the back of the (stationary) car in front; or (if you were lucky) a keeper being run over by a google van with a camera on its roof.

Variables adjusted?

j
Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
LOL that's not just a similar one, it's the same one. I mean not my station, but that was my line. Seemed like it had 5-10 stations like that one. Hokkaido is crazy rural but it seems like no town is too small for a train stop.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Just this morning, somebody handed me a phone book which was delivered to her home. At one time (barely over a decade ago!) my family delivered more than 40,000,000 of the things a year, this is the first new one I've seen since... 2016, I think.

Last edited by JohnT; 12-05-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Also from Japan: fax machines everywhere.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragwyr View Post
Michigan still has three operating one room schoolhouses in 2018. One of them is in Bangor, MI which is sort of near where I live. They have about 30 students ranging in ages Kindergarten through eighth grade, all of whom are taught by 2 teachers. I'm amazed at what they do with those kids there with the few resources they have.
This wonderful movie said there were still about 200 one-room public schoolhouses in the U.S. as of 2010 or thereabouts. Most of them were in Native American or Alaskan communities, and others were in the extreme rural west. Warning: because one interviewee talks about "an older boy who was a bully" who sexually assaulted classmates at knifepoint, probably including him, it is not for young children.

http://www.countryschoolmovie.com/

Back then, they had things like "School of the Air", on radio and later TV, and now they can get almost anything online.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Just this morning, somebody handed me a phone book which was delivered to her home. At one time (barely over a decade ago!) my family delivered more than 40,000,000 of the things a year, this is the first new one I've seen since... 2016, I think.
I delivered them in 2012 (some households flat out said they didn't want them, so I didn't give them any; one woman, however, wanted a spare for her car) and I still get one. I use it just enough to justify doing so, even if it is in teeny-tiny type.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 PM

This isn't on the scale of some of the things listed above, but my current doctor's office has paper-only patient records and calendaring. I went in to check when my next appointment was and the receptionist had to pull out a big 3-ring binder and start leafing through it.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I delivered them in 2012 (some households flat out said they didn't want them, so I didn't give them any; one woman, however, wanted a spare for her car) and I still get one. I use it just enough to justify doing so, even if it is in teeny-tiny type.
Where did you deliver them? There is a non-zero chance you worked for me or my family's business. PM me if you don't want that info in the open, I won't be offended if you don't want me to know at all.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Last time I saw someone whip out a phone book it raised literally all the eyebrows in the room.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM

All this talk of phone books remind me of the day in 1979 that they were delivered to my house. Oddly, the guy rang the doorbell and handed it to me, perhaps to hear the inevitable line. (It was the same week as the movie release.)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2500 View Post
Last time I saw someone whip out a phone book it raised literally all the eyebrows in the room.
More recently, I offered an extra phone book to the owner of a craft store I regularly patronized, and where we had social nights. She replied, "But we have wi-fi" and I answered, "But what if it's down?" That this would happen had honestly not occurred to her; maybe she tossed the book in the recycling bin as soon as I left, but I did insist that she take it.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Where did you deliver them? There is a non-zero chance you worked for me or my family's business. PM me if you don't want that info in the open, I won't be offended if you don't want me to know at all.
I'll PM the location; I did sign up because I had just decided to retire and move back to my real hometown, and we had a week of temperate summer weather coming up, so I thought that I might as well do it.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Spent a week in Chinatown (NYC) back in the 70s, and the teenagers taught us to open those vintage pull tabs halfway, insert a straw, then carry the can with a finger through the tab pull.

So we spent a week strutting down Mulberry St. with our new Chinese peeps and our Cokes swinging from a finger, feeling SO cool...

Quote:
What do kids these days think when they hear Jimmy Buffet singing "I blew out my filp-flop, stepped on a pop top... cut my heel, had to cruise on back home."?

Last edited by digs; 12-05-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
More recently, I offered an extra phone book to the owner of a craft store I regularly patronized, and where we had social nights. She replied, "But we have wi-fi" and I answered, "But what if it's down?" That this would happen had honestly not occurred to her; maybe she tossed the book in the recycling bin as soon as I left, but I did insist that she take it.
The majority of my interneting is done from my phone, I'd be doubly screwed if it went down.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I have a phone book! I ordered it for collecting and pressing leaves and plant specimens. But I don't miss the days when I'd see trucks delivering untold reams of phone books knowing that most would get thrown away.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Just fyi, nearwildheaven did not deliver one of our books.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or as Jimmy puts it: "I blew out my flip flop,
Stepped on a pop top;
Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home..."
Old 12-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Also from Japan: fax machines everywhere.
"Fax it? You want me to FAX it?!? Well, i can't Fax from where I am."
"Where is that , sir?"

"2018 Lady, 2018."
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
While Washington has good reason to have a lot of ferries in the Puget Sound area it's surprising that there are still some river ferries in Oregon. (Plus one ferry between OR and WA.) There are 3 ferries on the Willamette which isn't all that wide in those areas. Just put in a bridge. It's $5 to cross at Canby! And the free I-5 bridge is 3 miles away.
"Ferry" doings generally -- an interesting situation which still obtains in England's most easterly counties of Norfolk and Suffolk (by general repute, not a part of the country significantly on the cutting edge of progress). About fifteen "beeline" miles east of the city of Norwich (Norfolk's "county town", generally reckoned the region's chief city) is the fair-sized town of Great Yarmouth, on the North Sea coast. The river Yare runs between the two, meeting the sea at Great Yarmouth; but winding around some way to the south, taking about twenty miles between the two communities. There's a road bridge across the Yare some three miles east of Norwich; several others within Great Yarmouth; but none in between -- and in between, only one modest and small-time, on minor roads, ferry for motor vehicles across the river -- located about two-thirds of the way from Norwich to Great Yarmouth.

This situation causes considerable inconvenience to local residents, and visitors; but "thus it is"-- and seemingly, remedying it is not an urgent thing on anyone's agenda. (Which I rather like -- of course, I don't have to live in those parts.)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I'm wasting away.