Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Threshold of Disbelief

I mentioned over in this thread that Iron Man 3 underwhelmed me, due to broken physics.

For those who have not seen that movie, I'll briefly summarize my issue: the Bad Guys have some kind of super-serum/genetic enhancement that lets them superheat their bodies (or a specific part of it) to the point that they can slice though steel with their bare hands like a white-hot chainsaw through room temperature butter.

Yet they suffer no wardrobe damage; no one and nothing within mere feet (dozens of feet!) of them also suffer no heat-related injuries or damage. No fire-suppression system/sprinklers go off.

Now, when you think about most sci-fi offerings, this may seem a silly point to get hung up on. I mean, if you consider the Hulk, where does all that mass suddenly come from when Banner "Hulks Out?" Or the guy with a cybernetic arm that can lift a car one-handed, and disregards the fact that the rest of his organic body cannot support that kind of load?

Years ago, when I worked industrial scales, one of our customers was a steel recycling plant, with melt cradles just like a foundry. I know what molten metals, particularly steel, feels like (from a safe distance, natch). So when I see heat-related powers with no convection-related effects, I go, "Nope; nuh-uh, ain't buying it." And at that point, that movie is "broken" for me.

Ray guns/blasters/phasers? Ok. Hyper/warp/jump drives? No prob.

Really hot stuff, with no collateral heat-effects? Ain't buying it.

So: what's your Threshold of Disbelief?
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM

ForIron Man my threshold is already passed with rocket shoes.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Iron Man is basically wearing a nuclear reactor in his chest, so I let him get away with the rocket shoes and repellor rays. After all, I give Astro Boy the same break.

My Threshold? Mice that can talk. Fuck you, Mickey.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

There are many, although I can suspend disbelief for the sake of a good movie. Nearby explosions that don't hurt the hero because, you know, he ducked. Automatic weapons that never run out of ammo. Trained assassins who can't hit the hero because, hey, he moved, goddamnit! Silliness like when Iron Fist (or whatever his name is) punches a vault door off its hinges with only the power of his puny white arm behind it.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM

Mine is pretty low, but I have more fun ridiculing this stuff than it's annoying anyways.

Glad I'm not the only one who counts bullets. Like Snake's gun in Escape From New York that apparently is the world's only 80-shot+ revolver.

Standard stuff like "enhance image," "hacking" passwords one digit/letter at a time, massive collateral damage that nobody seems to care about or is ever held responsible for, people using terminology completely wrong (DEFCON 5 = peacetime, not the highest state of alert), large groups of enemies versus one person that patiently wait their turn to fight one-on-one, magic apocalypse-proof closets (or refrigerators ), basic scientific inaccuracies, I will scoff out loud at all of these and more.

You ever want to see a movie that gets pretty much everything wrong? Find a movie from 2017 called Geostorm; I watched it this summer on a flight back from Germany and I was laughing my ass off the entire time. Seriously, it's like nobody who had anything to do with that piece of shit ever even looked up the words "science" or "physics" in the dictionary.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Based on genre, I can suspend my belief to an infinite degree. Unless the scene is supposed to take place somewhere I am familiar with. Then we have problems. Talking raccoons, sentient trees, cassette tapes that haven't jammed in 30 years I can handle. Martin Riggs chasing a bad guy on foot in the Valley turning a corner and suddenly being on Sunset Blvd. will have me shaking my head for the rest of the movie. Trite, I know.

Last edited by silenus; 12-06-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 PM

I can put up with a lot of bullshit if the writing is good. But if I'm not engaged in the story due to post poor writing, then even the smallest of nits I will pick.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:12 PM

I don't believe anything I see in the movies, so the OP's question is kind of moot for me. Nevertheless....

Ant-Man was annoying because the hero retains his weight and strength when miniaturized...yet Michael Douglas has no problem carrying a miniaturized tank on a key chain.

Diamonds are Forever contains a continuity error during the car chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuh2L-_yf3M

At the 3:44 mark, the Mustang goes up on two wheels on the driver's side. Yet when it comes out of the alley at the 4 minute mark, it is up on the passenger side. The editor apparently thought the disorienting shot inside the car at 3:57 would explain how this happened without any external force acting on the vehicle.

Still, nothing beats Starcrash: "Imperial battleship...halt the flow of time!" And the green ray proves that time was halted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77k9XeM7V8

I do this with my green ray all the time.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM

I give CBMs and Fantasy movies with "Sci-Fi elements" wide, WIDE leeway.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

As long as it gives me the sense of being drawn into a universe where such things are possible, I can forgive much.

The basic explanations in the Marvel Universe from the "Official History of the Marvel Universe" of which I own several volumes are
1. Cosmic energy
2. Another dimension

Where does the mass come from, or go to, when Banner becomes the thousand pound Hulk, or Ant-Man shrinks down? Another dimension. Cosmic energy is never defined, but it is what the Silver Surfer shoots out of his hands when he fires his energy bolts. Etc.

My problem with Iron Man is, what are "repulsor rays"? Is that anti-gravity? TOHotMU explains them as some kind of charged particles. The whole question of why Iron Man can knock a truck backward with a blast without suffering a reaction that pushes him in the opposite direction isn't addressed. My fan wank explanation is that they are monopolar gravitons - they only pull in one direction, and anti-gravitons push in the same way. Yes, I know it violates the laws of physics. So does time travel and faster-than-light. But that I can deal with. Go figure.

Now, how does Mr. Fantastic's circulatory system deliver blood to his extremities when he is stretched out 500 yards? Why hasn't Quicksilver worn his feet away to nubs by running so fast? Where does the heat go when Iceman freezes over?

If the movie is good enough, I just don't ask. If it isn't, sometimes I amuse myself by asking if his arms and legs are the only things Mr. Fantastic can extend.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-06-2018, 02:30 PM

It always depends, like my pappy used to say, on whose bull is being gored.

My threshold is helicopters. Take the scene in Die Another Day when Bond drops the 600N out the back and tries to start it and all the warning lights start flashing. Well, I know what every one of those lights is, and not only don't they flash, they aren't relevant to the current situation of starting the aircraft. I doubt their transmission chip detector is really indicating a failure, or that the inlet filter clogged light just picked that minute to light. Nor is the battery too hot.

Also, take the scene in Broken Arrow where the helicopter gets hit with an EMP, and all the lights start flashing and the craft spins wildly and then EXPLODES?. You know what would happen to the flying characteristics of most helis if the got hit with EMP? NOTHING! They have mechanical or hydraulic flight controls, which are not affected by EMP.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-06-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of lack of wardrobe malfunction in superhero movies, there's the climax of X-Men United. Phoenix is disintegrating everything around her, and Wolverine is the only one who can stop her: His regeneration is keeping up with the disintegration long enough for him to get within claw range. His clothes, of course, don't have a healing factor, and so we, the audience, get to see Hugh Jackman without a shirt... except that his jeans are apparently made out of an adamantium weave, because they're left unscathed. And this is made all the worse by the fact that Phoenix is basically a raw manifestation of Jean Gray's id, and she's clearly sexually attracted to Wolverine: She should be actively trying to rip his pants off, even if she weren't disintegrating, well, everything.

Another one, that often shows up in superhero movies, is "If they can do that, why don't they do that all the time?". For instance, in Wonder Woman, we see her powers (or at least, her confidence and awareness of her powers) developing over time. And that's fine... right up until the end, when she goes full-on goddess in the fight against Ares. And even that would be OK, if she were just in that one movie, but then years later she also shows up in Batman v. Superman and Justice League and as many Wonder Woman sequels as Warner Brothers can pump out in perpetuity. So why not just start every fight that way?

The flip side, which I really appreciate when I see it, is when someone comes up with something new that really ought to completely change the world... and it does, and the artists turn the work into an exploration of just what that ability means for society.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Physics things will irritate me for a few minutes while I adjust to the tone of the movie, then I'm usually ok. Although, Fast & Furious 8 shocked me into disbelief even toward the end. But it's like, whatever. Just a movie.

But what REALLY pisses me off is that goddamned Wilhelm Scream. Most egregious usage of which is in every single Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson) movie. Bopping along with my whole head deep in Middle Earth and then, "AAAAaagh!" summons Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, All the Transformers, a legion of Pixar characters.... Pulls me right out of the movie. I mean, if the director thinks the film is enough of a joke to survive that distracting multiversal howl, why should I take the film seriously? It's fucking insulting.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 PM

I get annoyed at a lot of the errors in physics but the one I remember as "I'm done watching this." was a TV miniseries where in the beginning scene everyone around the world, Los Angeles, New York, London and Moscow, see the Moon at night get hit by an asteroid at the same time.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shodan @#10 re: repulsor rays: Old Doc Huer invented non-reactive repulsor rays back in the 1930s (Okay, the 2430s) in the original Buck Rogers comic strip.

The Evil Mongols had already developed ordinary repulsor rays, which they installed in the hulls of their giant airships to keep them aloft. But Doc Huer with the first to come up with a repeller that didn’t carry a backlash, against the laws of Newtonian physics.

If Doc Huer could do it, I accept it. Early Buck Rogers is the BEST. Also, I want a “jumping belt.”
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 PM

One of my pet peeves is someone glancing into a ordinary light microscope and visuallly identifying chemicals--for a recent example, in the pilot episode of the Charmed reboot, Sciency Witch looks at a demon tissue sample under a microscope and declares that the cell membrane contains hydrogen peroxide.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 PM

In "X-Men: Days of Future Past", I don't mind Quicksilver running around super-fast, but that doesn't mean that he can move some other guy's arm super-fast without snapping it off!

Yes, I know, it's the Speed Force, er...I mean, some kind of mutant power field...
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Ant-Man was annoying because the hero retains his weight and strength when miniaturized...yet Michael Douglas has no problem carrying a miniaturized tank on a key chain.
I will never be able to unknow this now.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Another one, that often shows up in superhero movies, is "If they can do that, why don't they do that all the time?". For instance, in Wonder Woman, we see her powers (or at least, her confidence and awareness of her powers) developing over time. And that's fine... right up until the end, when she goes full-on goddess in the fight against Ares. And even that would be OK, if she were just in that one movie, but then years later she also shows up in Batman v. Superman and Justice League and as many Wonder Woman sequels as Warner Brothers can pump out in perpetuity. So why not just start every fight that way?
This might be my biggest annoyance with fantasy/sci-fi genres overall.

I give it more a pass in comic books. You have different writers with different imaginings usually attempt to stay in a continuity that has lasted for decades. But movies and TV you have a handful of movies/episodes and far less writers shackled with far less overhead. Keep what the characters can do consistent, damn it! We could go on and on and on about the inconsistency of weight in Ant-Man (not to mention the speed and stamina of those ants). Either lampshade size and weight control or be consistent.

I love superhero fare, but the big "lifting things" often gets me, such as when Supergirl lifted a submarine out of the water. Now, I'm not a structural engineer for submarines, so maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt there is any spot on a submarine where two hands could support its entire weight. Tied into this is catching falling objects.

Another one that bothers me is impenetrable car doors and other types of light or moderate cover in gun battles, such as couches. If I can put a hole in the wall with my fist, it won't stop a bullet.

I'm ok with time-savers (e.g.: always finding the parking spot) or things meant to keep assholes from being assholes (e.g. 555 numbers).
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
You ever want to see a movie that gets pretty much everything wrong? Find a movie from 2017 called Geostorm; I watched it this summer on a flight back from Germany and I was laughing my ass off the entire time. Seriously, it's like nobody who had anything to do with that piece of shit ever even looked up the words "science" or "physics" in the dictionary.
Is it worse than 2012 ? (Link goes to a Dara O'Briain bit about the science in the movie)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Is it worse than 2012 ? (Link goes to a Dara O'Briain bit about the science in the movie)
I don't think I ever saw 2012, but I did see The Day After Tomorrow, and Geostorm makes that look like a freakin' documentary by comparison.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of lack of wardrobe malfunction in superhero movies, there's the climax of X-Men United.
That description sounds like X-Men: The Last Stand.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I just note the issue and then go on to enjoy the movie. If it's a good story, nitpicking the details is just showing off to others how smart your think you are.

For instance, the geography in the Sherlock Holmes movies is nonsensical. But the movie is still a good one.

The Day After Tomorrow was wildly wrong about its geography, and only works if Manhattan is on a turntable, but it's a fun movie.

The Core has lousy science, but the story is strong.

It does bother me if they base a plot on a historical anachronism (though not always: Inglorious Basterds was a terrific movie); that's cheating to make the story work.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM

I loved Ant-Man as a kid, and part of the canon was that he had control over size and density. So he could float on an air current (often explaining this to the reader) until he got within reach of the bad guy's jaw, then "controls to full density" and WHAMMO!

This was true for The Atom on the DC side, too (Ray Palmer had belt controls adjusting white dwarf star matter... why do I remember this?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I love superhero fare, but the big "lifting things" often gets me, such as when Supergirl lifted a submarine out of the water. Now, I'm not a structural engineer for submarines, so maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt there is any spot on a submarine where two hands could support its entire weight...
One of my favorite superhero bits was in the otherwise-forgettable Superman Returns. A passenger jet has lost power so Supes shows up and grabs it by the wing... which snaps off. He looks annoyed at himself and dives after the now-plummeting plane.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
I had no problem with 95% of the "bad science" in Ant-Man & Wasp but the fact that the miniaturized cars could keep up with the full sized cars really annoyed me for some reason. I think because I used to read the Sears catalog and daydream about running the RC cars along the expressway at 60mph before I learned what "Scale speed" meant. If I was able to figure this out by age 12, these guys should know it too!

Each time I saw Bucky do anything with his metal arm, I thought "That should have torn his arm right out of its soft fleshy socket". But then all the stuff like "Iron Man would be smashed inside his suit on deceleration" or the ridiculous Hulk physics never bothered me at all.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

The errors in police shows reach from here to the moon. A major one is the cop stops the car with the bad guy in it and does not search the car and tell him to get out of it. No, the cop allows the guy to stay in the unsearched car so, at the right moment, the guy can pull out a guy and shot the cop dead.

Cops are not that stupid.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 AM

My wife always like to point out when someone is seriously injured and/or incapacitated and it apparently occurs to no one to call for help or perform CPR, and the victim is literally just left for dead.

Also, people who are not shot in the head dying instantly. This happened constantly in Narcos, for example. IRL, in a lot of cases it's surprisingly difficult to kill a person. Most people, even when mortally wounded, will hang on for a few minutes at least.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Jophiel:

I had no problem with 95% of the "bad science" in Ant-Man & Wasp but the fact that the miniaturized cars could keep up with the full sized cars really annoyed me for some reason. I think because I used to read the Sears catalog and daydream about running the RC cars along the expressway at 60mph before I learned what "Scale speed" meant. If I was able to figure this out by age 12, these guys should know it too!
The tiny cars keeping up with full-sized ones is one of the few things in the Ant-Man movies that didn't bother me. My irritation is reserved for the Sears catalog foisting off the absurd concept of "scale speed".

Though actually, Ant-Man wasn't nearly as jarring as some, because they knew going in that the physics was absurd, and decided to just run with it anyway. I think it actually helped that the special effects weren't quite as "good": It made the whole thing feel a little cartoony, and it made a lot better cartoon sense than it did real-world sense.

Iron Man not getting squished in his suit never bothered me, because I fanwanked an explanation so quickly for it: Acceleration doesn't actually squish people; the problem is differential acceleration. If you hit concrete after a long fall, the parts of you in contact with the concrete have much greater acceleration (for a few moments, at least) than the parts of you not in contact. But if you can somehow exert a force on all particles of an object at once, you can make an arbitrarily large acceleration survivable. So I just assume that Stark repulsor rays have some penetration depth comparable to the size of a human body, and that the suit is lined with repulsor fields.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The tiny cars keeping up with full-sized ones is one of the few things in the Ant-Man movies that didn't bother me. My irritation is reserved for the Sears catalog foisting off the absurd concept of "scale speed".
With our powers combined, we could happily watch Ant-Man. Or really hate Ant-Man.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post

I love superhero fare, but the big "lifting things" often gets me, such as when Supergirl lifted a submarine out of the water. Now, I'm not a structural engineer for submarines, so maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt there is any spot on a submarine where two hands could support its entire weight. Tied into this is catching falling objects.
Or in Superman Returns how Superman catches the plummeting airplane by the nose-cone: decelerating a 600 mph vehicle made out of aluminum sheetmetal?

Perhaps the implied superpower is projecting a structural integrity field around an object subject to massive acceleration/deceleration forces, or force being applied by human-sized hands instead of a more appropriately wider surface area.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
Or in Superman Returns how Superman catches the plummeting airplane by the nose-cone: decelerating a 600 mph vehicle made out of aluminum sheetmetal?

Perhaps the implied superpower is projecting a structural integrity field around an object subject to massive acceleration/deceleration forces, or force being applied by human-sized hands instead of a more appropriately wider surface area.
Somebody (John Byrne?) explained Superman's powers as being telekinetic. Without that Approved Fanwank, MOST of his feats make zero sense.

When I was a kid, he literally was
"Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!"
So as soon as he started making U-turns while flying, all the young fans said "Wait, whaaaa...?"
Old 12-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I just note the issue and then go on to enjoy the movie. If it's a good story, nitpicking the details is just showing off to others how smart your think you are.

For instance, the geography in the Sherlock Holmes movies is nonsensical. But the movie is still a good one.

The Day After Tomorrow was wildly wrong about its geography, and only works if Manhattan is on a turntable, but it's a fun movie.

The Core has lousy science, but the story is strong.

It does bother me if they base a plot on a historical anachronism (though not always: Inglorious Basterds was a terrific movie); that's cheating to make the story work.

Well...in my particular case, it's less how smart I am, than having fist-hand experience with really hot stuff (even if at a safe remove). I was about 100 feet away from a melt cradle that was lying on its side and cooling, but it was still International-Don't-Shoot-Me-Incandescent-Orange inside. The heat coming off of it was not dissimilar to the blast of heat coming out of your pre-heated oven when you open the oven door.

FWIW, I like The Core. They had Handwavium/Phlebotinum, so the writers at least understood the issue, and addressed it (however bad the actual science was), and that was good enough for me. Honest-to-God Geologists can chime in and rip the movie to shreds, but I'm not a Geologist.

You sound like a more story/character oriented person; surely you've seen movies that you overall like, but a character hits a "false note," breaks character for some reason in order to advance the plot. Or some clunky writing (often enough, there's a deleted scene that explains it perfectly, but it hit the cutting room floor for some reason) that to you, is just cringeworthy jarring.

So, same concept, different standard; it's not a science/technology thing pulling you out of a movie; it a characterization/action, or just bad writing/directing/editing.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Violations of Relativity, health, and other things (gravity on spaceships, sound in space, etc) don't really bother me.

What I notice is violations of basic Newtonian mechanics. For example, and I've brought it up here before, the Spider Man movie with the Doc Ock train fight scene.

Does it bother me that the protagonist developed super powers because he was bitten by a radioactive spider? Not at all.

Am I irritated that his arms should be ripped off while he is stopping the train? Not in the slightest.

Am I raging because, in the real world, there would be dozens of secondary casualties among the passengers? WTF do I care?

Am I reduced to a quivering protoplasm because the Doc Ock origin story is as unscientific as Spideys? Didn't even think about it until I was typing this, so no.

John... the guy twists in midair... did that bother you? No, not really. Probably have seen that move too many times to care any more, tbh.

Did the fact that Doc Ock threw SM forward, only to have SM tackle Doc Ock from behind as he lands, in complete violation of how things work on this world... did that bother me? YOU BET YOUR FUCKING LIFE THAT BOTHERED ME! WHAT THE HELL, GUYS?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!? YOU CAN'T THROW SOMETHING AHEAD OF YOU ONLY TO HAVE IT HIT YOU IN THE BACK! BUNCH OF GODDAMNED STUPID-ASSED FUCKTARDS, THE LOT OF YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00fTwhmYX0&t=1m44s

A-hem. Sorry about that.

Last edited by JohnT; 12-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The errors in police shows reach from here to the moon.
I couldn't get past the scene in The Dark Knight where the cops finally, after a massive mobilization and chase, finally catch The Joker -- Public Enemy No. One -- and... don't wash his face to get some photos? They just let him keep his grease paint on? I mean, the stuff comes off -- it's coming off when he's talking to Batman. The various excuses I've heard ("Maybe they were afraid to touch him", "They didn't want to get sued", etc) don't really make sense.

I get that it was Rule of Cool and not wanting to de-Joker-ify the iconic character but I see that scene and feel like "Ok, so no one is really trying here".
Old 12-07-2018, 12:45 PM

It all depends on my previous assumptions. For a superhero movie, almost anything goes, because I assume they're going to use superhero physics. I'd still like their physics to say consistent within a scene, but a lot goes.

But the lack of respect for the simple facts of heat flow in The Day after Tomorrow is just not acceptable. It's freeze ray physics, which I only allow in superhero movies or silly comedies.

Last edited by naita; 12-07-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

A distinct lack of car alarms in Manhattan.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:55 PM

I don't go to movies because my threshold for BS is so low that if it requires an actor to use wires or CGI to do stunts, I'm out. People can't jump 40 feet straight up or survive getting hit by a car while riding a motorcycle (at high speed) and get up and run away. Been there, done that.

Needless to say, Super-hero movies are RIGHT OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
I get annoyed at a lot of the errors in physics but the one I remember as "I'm done watching this." was a TV miniseries where in the beginning scene everyone around the world, Los Angeles, New York, London and Moscow, see the Moon at night get hit by an asteroid at the same time.
I'm not a real big "science guy", but even I can recognize how egregious an error this is.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I try to accept the premise of the work, no matter how outlandish. On rare occasions that proves too challenging.

The two things that lead to issues for me is a breakdown of within world consistency or (much worse) characters with overly convenient motivations or psychologies that are a caricature of reality. For example, "All adversaries of the protagonist happen to be motivated by malice or wholly evil motivations." How convenient! So I guess we can just overlook the collateral damage!

Yes, the second one poses challenges for enjoying Hollywood fare. Special effects are nice though. Somebody walks through a plate glass window without serious injury? No problem!

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 12-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

In the recent Fantastic Four starring Ant Man they explained that the Pym particles can actually effect several different cosmic constants. For example Ant Man can affect his own size and still have the same mass. On the other hand he can carry around a ton of apparatus by reducing its weight and mass. In the comic Scott is able to magnify the power of Giant Man while remaining at normal size and hand Dr. Doom his butt.
Don't ask me how Ghost's powers would work in this equation though.

Last edited by furryman; 12-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
In the first episode of Futurama they show the entire world celebrating the start of the new year at once. Africa, India, Tokyo, Rome, London, and New York City are all shown counting down to New Year's Day simultaneously even though it would staggered because of the time zones.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Odo on DS9.

In one scene, a rock falls on his head in a mine. He then get's knocked unconscious, even though he doesn't have a brain!

Also, when he shrinks down to something the size of a rat. Where did the rest of his mass go? (Much like The Hulk gripe.)
Old 12-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
Years ago, when I worked industrial scales, one of our customers was a steel recycling plant, with melt cradles just like a foundry. I know what molten metals, particularly steel, feels like (from a safe distance, natch). So when I see heat-related powers with no convection-related effects, I go, "Nope; nuh-uh, ain't buying it." And at that point, that movie is "broken" for me.

Ray guns/blasters/phasers? Ok. Hyper/warp/jump drives? No prob.

Really hot stuff, with no collateral heat-effects? Ain't buying it.
So: what's your Threshold of Disbelief?
I bet you really enjoyed the 2nd Hobbit movie...
Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
One of my pet peeves is someone glancing into a ordinary light microscope and visuallly identifying chemicals--for a recent example, in the pilot episode of the Charmed reboot, Sciency Witch looks at a demon tissue sample under a microscope and declares that the cell membrane contains hydrogen peroxide.
This is similar to my threshold: the scientist or techie who is a world class expert in EVERY SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINE. Popular in both super hero and police procedural genres.
"Yeah, the lab technician just wrote an app for your phone that ties into 17 satellite transmitters, but she had to rewire the GPS circuits of all the city's traffic signals to make you this laser weapon based on some carbon filament she found in the wreckage of an alien submarine. And for good measure she whipped up an antidote to scurvy while analyzing the DNA of the Megalodon based on the seismic activity of the volcano. And she plays the cello and speaks 14 languages."
Old 12-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

The thing I just can't suspend my disbelief for anymore is the good old "bonk em on the head and they're instantly unconscious and wake up fine an hour later".

I know that this is such an ingrained convention that nobody really thinks about it, but it's so wrong on so many levels.

Just once I'd like to see a movie where the superhero infiltrating the secret base bonks a mook on the head and knocks him unconscious. And then we see EMTs arrive, and find the unconscious mook, and take him to the hospital and prep him for emergency surgery. After 3 days in a coma the mook finally regains consciousness. He goes to trial handcuffed to a wheelchair, and after sentencing undergoes months of physical therapy at the prison hospital. Five years later we see the same mook released to a halfway house where he gets a job compatible with his severe Parkinson's disease, which is partially controlled by medication, but whenever he sees the superhero on TV his symptoms get worse.

Last edited by Lemur866; 12-07-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM

The live-action G.I. Joe movie was bad on many, many levels and in many, many ways, but I gamely hung on through the whole thing, until the end. The bad guys have a secret undersea base on the sea floor under the Arctic ice cap. For some reason, there are pillars of ice reaching down from the ice cap to the sea floor around the base. During the final battle, explosions destroy the ice pillars, and the ice cap sinks and comes crashing down on the base.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
The thing I just can't suspend my disbelief for anymore is the good old "bonk em on the head and they're instantly unconscious and wake up fine an hour later".
The best subversion of this trope occurs in Morons From Outer Space. The aliens are escaping from an army base. One of them sneaks up behind a sentry and conks him on the head. The sentry falls . . .
SPOILER:
. . . to his knees, and screams, "Ow! What did you do that for?"
Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 PM

I can accept supernatural and aliens ignoring the laws of physics. Like I told a buddy of mine with Pacific Rim: You can complain about the realism and practicality of mechas and monsters all you want, but then you wouldn't have a movie featuring mechas fighting monsters. Godzilla doesn't care about no cube-square law!

But I can get turned off by rather mundane things in sci-fi/fantasy movies:

1) Battleship: criminal screw-up suddenly becomes a Naval Officer

2) Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter: They melt all the silver in Washington DC and walk it to Gettysburg both overnight.

3) Independence Day (discussed recently here): They roll their eyes at an alien abductee after it's proven aliens exist.

4) Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995): Giant destructive monsters battle in Tokyo over a freeway, yet the FX matte they used shows traffic rolling along normally.

5) Friday Night Lights: They barely lose to an opponent almost supernaturally powerful enough to decapitate the players. Yet, the ending card shows Permian won next year replacing all the star players who graduated. That's the REAL underdog story the movie should've focused on!

Last edited by HubZilla; 12-07-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: stupid italics
Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=HubZilla;21365933]
4) Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995): Giant destructive monsters battle in Tokyo over a freeway, yet the FX matte they used shows traffic rolling along normally.
Yeah, seriously. Not only would the freeway be a parking lot, but (remembering Japan in 1995) everyone would have pulled their Nikon insta-pix cameras out of their glove compartment (pre-loaded with a fresh roll of Fuji film, of course) and have been trading positions and cameras so they'd have a photograph proving they were present during the event. Nobody at all would have been the slightest bit afraid. In fact, several would probably be trying to get Gozilla's and Destoroyah's attention to ask them to pose for their photograph!

Quote:
Well...see...every good guy* who fights for a living (i.e. superhero) lives by the mantra of minimizing both effort and damage. It's like the old Samurai ideal of doing everything as efficiently-as-possible, from drawing-and-cutting with the sword (Iaido) to preparing and serving tea (chado). The principle stems from the idea that the samurai expects to go out on a battlefield and might have dozens of opponents, so keeping one's strength and secret techniques in reserve is prudent; when the opponents get tougher the effort can be increased accordingly but, if you blow all your energy and attention too early you'll be exhausted by the time you reach the Big Boss.

--G!
I put the knee-high boots on when I started this response.
Looks like I should have donned the hip-waders!

*The bad guys don't care about being wasteful. Wastefulness is another reason they're the bad guys.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 PM

My husband watches many, many, (manymanyMANY) movies that involve war and fighting. Now, I love a good action movie but, as I often complain to hubby, those movies don't even make stupid sense.

Good guys duck bullets.
Good guys jump out of the way of explosions, sometimes tossing the bad guy into the way of the explosion.
Good guy is having sex with a woman. He apparently has the longest penis on record because she is on top sitting on his chest. This one was very recent. I think it may have been a cable TV show about British wet ops (the name escapes me).

One from a show that I watch and disappointed me with the unbelievably. In Game of Thrones, Jaime falls into The Trench of Regret in the river Mander while wearing armor. There is a dramatic shot of him falling, falling, falling alone into the dark abyss. The next episode's opening scene is Bronn pulling Jaime up to the surface, armor, golden hand, sword and all. Bronn does this almost one-handed and then swims him to the shore. Nope, nope and nope.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

That one actually didn't bother me that much. Jaime was only wearing a breastplate, really. It is within the realm of "action guy" strength for Bronn to be able to do that. I'm more taken out of the story by the frakking wyverns, who are just too damn big.