Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 PM
nightshadea nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 4,062
babysitting ad ..is it unreasonable?

heres the story
  #2  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,826
TL;DR
  #3  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:16 PM
TSBG TSBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,434
I'm torn. I can see both sides.
  #4  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 PM
nightshadea nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 4,062
heres the real link that didn't paste https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...QzW?li=BBnbcA0

is she nuts or reasonable?
  #5  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,241
Hmmmm?
  #6  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:24 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
heres the real link that didn't paste https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...QzW?li=BBnbcA0

is she nuts or reasonable?
I hope that's fake.
  #7  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 PM
nightshadea nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I hope that's fake.
well some of it didn't seem too bad but other parts are nuts......
  #8  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,513
Don't believe everything you read on the internet...
  #9  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 PM
Aspidistra Aspidistra is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,046
Or in the Daily Fail
__________________
It is easier to fall than to climb ... letting go for the fall brings a wonderful feeling of ease and power
- Katherine Kerr Daggerspell
  #10  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,826
lol:

Quote:
14.) Ideally, [you] will be a Trump fan. In exchange I will be offering $10 under the table cash. It's like making $15/hr normal but with out paying tax.
So much to unload in that one little statement.

Last edited by Grrr!; 12-09-2018 at 11:35 PM.
  #11  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 AM
TSBG TSBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,434
It smells like a joke, but who knows these days. Someone willing to advertise that they are breaking the law by paying off the books, but insisting on a BG check, no tats, and paying for snacks out of pocket?

FWIW I have had multiple nannies and ALL of them bought my daughter snacks out of pocket, and when I knew about it I always reimbursed them over the amount spent as a thank you. (Not including times when we asked the nanny to order in/take her out, when we reimbursed the cost of meal + tip for both my daughter and nanny.)

That plus the other insane requirements...either a joke or a person who maybe ought to have her children distributed to better parents.
  #12  
Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 AM
PatrickLondon PatrickLondon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London
Posts: 2,996
Sounds to me like some disgruntled babysitter getting their own back on someone.
  #13  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,832
One could only hope that the mother was as discriminating in her choice of Leader of the Free World.
  #14  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 AM
GreenWyvern's Avatar
GreenWyvern GreenWyvern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 1,161
I don't believe this is serious. It looks more like a spoof ad, a satirical post by a babysitter fed up with unreasonable requirements, and making fun of them.
  #15  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:42 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 40,847
I wonder what her rules are for her kids.
  #16  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,174
Must be a Trump fan definitely makes the authenticity suspect. As well as the blatant tax cheat reference.
  #17  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Must be a Trump fan definitely makes the authenticity suspect. As well as the blatant tax cheat reference.
Also, expecting to pay someone with a bachelor's degree $10.
  #18  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 12,359
Regardless of the other conditions, the $10 per hour is going to not get her many candidates. The going rate for babysitting is about 50% or more higher than she's asking.
  #19  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM
monstro monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 19,892
What kind of parent would expect a babysitter to pay for snacks without being reimbursed?
  #20  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Regardless of the other conditions, the $10 per hour is going to not get her many candidates. The going rate for babysitting is about 50% or more higher than she's asking.
And note that's for 3 kids.

I expect that this is a gag, although there are certainly people this foolish in the world.
  #21  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM
CookingWithGas's Avatar
CookingWithGas CookingWithGas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tysons Corner, VA, USA
Posts: 12,768
It is so unrealistic that it could be a gag, but not so outrageous as to actually be funny.

(BTW if you are getting paid $15/hr. you are not paying 1/3 of your pay in taxes.)
__________________
Making the world a better place one fret at a time.
| | |會 |會 |會 |會 | |:| | |會 |會
  #22  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Asuka Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 977
The Trump thing and Pitbull thing seem tailor made to have people flood it with snarky comments, the only thing they're missing is mandating that they only leave a 10% tip at all dining establishments.
  #23  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
I don't believe this is serious. It looks more like a spoof ad, a satirical post by a babysitter fed up with unreasonable requirements, and making fun of them.
This is what I'm thinking.
  #24  
Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Hampshire Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,825
The new development we built in has a facebook page and we had a good laugh when one resident posted a similar (but not as drastic) type ad. She has 3 kids all under school age and wanted someone to watch them full time for $15/hr.
Apparently she wanted to get her moneys worth because the candidate would also do household cleaning and chores while they were watching the kids.
She even had the requirement "willing to accept criticism" in the post.
I wanted to reply "good luck with that" but figured she'd get the hint when no one would respond.
  #25  
Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Lacunae Matata Lacunae Matata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 3,738
Idk, people are bonkers. This morning, I screen shotted a post from someone advertising availability to pet- or babysit locally. It included "I have never been around toddlers, and I don't know the jist [sic] of changing diapers."

But even she is a bargain at $5/hour/child.
  #26  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:00 PM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I I Love Me, Vol. I is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBG View Post
It smells like a joke, but who knows these days. Someone willing to advertise that they are breaking the law by paying off the books, but insisting on a BG check, no tats, and paying for snacks out of pocket?

FWIW I have had multiple nannies and ALL of them bought my daughter snacks out of pocket, and when I knew about it I always reimbursed them over the amount spent as a thank you. (Not including times when we asked the nanny to order in/take her out, when we reimbursed the cost of meal + tip for both my daughter and nanny.)
A charitable interpretation would be that the advertiser is looking for the sort of person who would pay for snacks out of pocket without thinking twice about it. IOW, they may be trying (but failing) to say they want someone with a kind heart, not that they want someone to pay for all of the kids snacks.
  #27  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM
amarinth amarinth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Emerald City, WA, USA
Posts: 9,760
I love the contradiction between getting a babysitter that hasn't had any runins with the law yet - but must be willing to ignore laws in order to be paid for the position.

She wants to be the cause of their first felony. Maybe they can have something to paste in the baby book.
  #28  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 PM
kunilou's Avatar
kunilou kunilou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 24,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
A charitable interpretation would be that the advertiser is looking for the sort of person who would pay for snacks out of pocket without thinking twice about it. IOW, they may be trying (but failing) to say they want someone with a kind heart, not that they want someone to pay for all of the kids snacks.
What's the charitable interpretation for paying under the table?
  #29  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,000
Sadly, I'm not qualified for this job, either.
  #30  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Mr Shine's Avatar
Mr Shine Mr Shine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
The new development we built in has a facebook page and we had a good laugh when one resident posted a similar (but not as drastic) type ad. She has 3 kids all under school age and wanted someone to watch them full time for $15/hr.
Apparently she wanted to get her moneys worth because the candidate would also do household cleaning and chores while they were watching the kids.
She even had the requirement "willing to accept criticism" in the post.
I wanted to reply "good luck with that" but figured she'd get the hint when no one would respond.
The ad (not) in the OP is obviously fake, but the idea that $15 per hour to watch over some children and do a few domestic tasks is laughably unreasonable seems strange. It's more than I get paid, and that's constant effort from the moment I get in to when I leave. I know, you're about to tell me that watching kids is also "constant effort"
  #31  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacunae Matata View Post
Idk, people are bonkers. This morning, I screen shotted a post from someone advertising availability to pet- or babysit locally. It included "I have never been around toddlers, and I don't know the jist [sic] of changing diapers."

But even she is a bargain at $5/hour/child.
So? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who have older children who'd be happy to hire her.
  #32  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:21 AM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13,054
Wow, if I didn't know what the ad was for, from just reading the list of criteria I would have thought it would be a post hiring a hospital administrator.

The babysitter who meets that criteria ought to be paid $50 an hour; half of that being just for putting up with such a mother.
  #33  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 AM
Lacunae Matata Lacunae Matata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
So? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who have older children who'd be happy to hire her.
There are plenty of jobs I can do a little bit of. (For example, I can install PVC water lines all day long. But I'm not a plumber. Drains? Water heaters? Nope.) And I would certainly be glad to accept half the pay of a real plumber to do the bits I can do competently. I phrased it badly, but the observation was supposed to be that someone who recognizes and identifies the part of the job she can't do (yet) prices her services accordingly.

Expecting to pay someone $10/hour, with all of the expectations listed - including tax shenanigans - is bonkers. I would be glad to pay $10/hour for an occasional Friday night sitter who can't change diapers! (For someone with a degree, I'd expect to pay more. And buy the snacks.)
  #34  
Old 12-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Urbanredneck Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,910
Sounds like a Hillary fan making fun of the right and of course, the left jumps on it.
  #35  
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Sounds like a Hillary fan making fun of the right and of course, the left jumps on it.
A Hillary fan? What the hell does this topic have to do with the monsters hiding under your bed?
  #36  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 PM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is online now
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
A Hillary fan? What the hell does this topic have to do with the monsters hiding under your bed?
The babysitting ad specifies that they are looking for someone who is a Trump fan.

If the post is intentionally satirical or spoofing (as many think) and is therefore making fun of Trump fans, then it's not much of a leap to think that the post is actually from a Hillary fan, or at the very least, someone who is anti-Trump.
  #37  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
The babysitting ad specifies that they are looking for someone who is a Trump fan.

If the post is intentionally satirical or spoofing (as many think) and is therefore making fun of Trump fans, then it's not much of a leap to think that the post is actually from a Hillary fan, or at the very least, someone who is anti-Trump.
If it is satire, then being "a Hillary fan" is only one of the many possibilities when it comes to authorship.
  #38  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Trafalgar Laura's Avatar
Trafalgar Laura Trafalgar Laura is offline
Ice Bear, Honey Bear.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 257
While a lot of people have pointed out the "Must be a Trump fan" requirement as silly and a possible sign of trolling, a direct accusation to a certain group of people ("Hillary fans") seems different, and also seems to be inviting this to change from a discussion of the list to a discussion of which political groups are more likely to be conniving trolling liars.

That list, also, is trolling. From somebody. Maybe fans of beets. Freakin' beet lovers.
  #39  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Urbanredneck Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
If it is satire, then being "a Hillary fan" is only one of the many possibilities when it comes to authorship.
So you think it could be a Bernie Sanders supporter?
  #40  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
So you think it could be a Bernie Sanders supporter?
Or a Republican disgusted with what has happened to his party, or maybe it is a shallow, self-righteous Trump supporter.

edited to add: Or maybe a beet lover.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 12-11-2018 at 02:31 PM.
  #41  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 AM
MarvinKitFox MarvinKitFox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 174
That's perfectly reasonable, for a top-end childcare specialist. Which is what she is advertising for.
But the less-than-minimum-wage pay offered is past ludicrous into criminal.
As is, of course, the requirement that this Pristine Exemplar of Virtue must also be ok with deliberate tax-evasion!
  #42  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 AM
nightshadea nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
The ad (not) in the OP is obviously fake, but the idea that $15 per hour to watch over some children and do a few domestic tasks is laughably unreasonable seems strange. It's more than I get paid, and that's constant effort from the moment I get in to when I leave. I know, you're about to tell me that watching kids is also "constant effort"
never look at care.com...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017