Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Woman makes stupid choice, gets mad at results

Remember the airline agent recently who laughed at a girl's name?

A pregnant woman's family made fun of the name she had picked out for her child. Much huffiness and drama ensued.

Quote:
A pregnant woman called off her baby shower after her family ridiculed the name she had bestowed on her unborn son: Squire Sebastian Senator.

In a Facebook post, which later went viral after being shared on Reddit, the woman — who has not been named — explained her decision to cancel her baby shower, blaming her “fake a** family.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ed/ar-BBQJAfW?

Not too surprisingly, she managed to miss the whole point. Kudos to her family for trying to head off this nonsense at the pass.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 PM

I was in the same dormitory at college with a gentleman whose first name was "Governor." At least that's what he went by. I don't know if it was short for anything.

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way. On the other hand, he never became an actual governor.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I was in the same dormitory at college with a gentleman whose first name was "Governor." At least that's what he went by. I don't know if it was short for anything.

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way. On the other hand, he never became an actual governor.
Had a dorm-mate with the first name of "Prince." No, not the late recording artist. And this was back in 1972, so obviously not inspired by His Purpleness, either.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:14 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

When I was working at NAS Jax, we hired an engineer whose first name is Major. And one of the welders was named "General Lee" - for reals - not a fake name. In a different office was a secretary who named her daughters Star and Sparkle, and another woman, last name Winters, who named her daughter Stormie.

Each to his own, I guess...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM

I grew up with a very unusual surname. Married to a simple last name, that also is the name of an object. I'll take the unusual one. My married name is often made fun of, and mis-spelled into a dirty word.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-10-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

That's it? Squire Sebastian Senator? All things considered, I don't find that that far out there as baby names are concerned. I mean, I was conservative in naming my kids, but, maybe I'm just nuts, but I would even have noticed that name if I came across it.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I grew up with a very unusual surname. Married to a simple last name, that also is the name of an object. I'll take the unusual one. My married name is often made fun of, and mis-spelled into a dirty word.
Mulva?

Dennis
Old 12-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I've always said that if you want to give your kid a crazy, creative name, that's what the middle name is for, and pair it with something conventional for the first name. That way, they can decide for themselves whether to embrace or ignore it.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:43 PM

All right, I'm just gonna say that when I lived in Oklahoma, I knew so many people with names like "Squire." Just off the top of my head one of my mother's friends was Duchess and one was Queenie. We had Kings, we had Dukes, we had Earls (no Dukes of Earl though--well, probably, I just didn't know one). We had Barons. We had Caesars. We had Generals. We had Majors. Let me just say, when I read Catch 22 I did not think Major Major Major was all that strange. My mother's last boyfriend before she married my father (in 1932) was named Prince. (Huh, I could've been a Princess!)

Squire Sebastian Senator seems like overkill, and she definitely sounded like she missed the entire point, but it's not the worst baby name I've ever heard.

Oh, I just remembered a friend of mine who lived between the Castles and the Pallases. One of them, I forget which, gave all their kids these super elevated names to go with the last name, like "Lady Pallas," for instance (an example; I don't actually remember, it might have been "Lady Castle." Those kids were way younger than we were).

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 12-10-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:52 PM

I have dibs on "Prime". The name of a kid who frequented a store I ran. He seemed pretty run of the mill, but thought it was awesome the other kids thought so much of him. When I asked why he was called Prime, I was told it was his real name!

There was also a Filipino girl named Irish (which of course I know isn't uncommon), and I said I'd name my daughter "Japanese" and my son "Okinawan!"

Last edited by lingyi; 12-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM

I was expecting a much worse name than that. Compared to Abcd, Squire Senator is very pedestrian.

I don't think the family should have made fun of the name. Once a name is announced, the polite thing to do is smile, nod, and then talk shit about it behind the parents' backs.

But I don't think she should be blowing them out of the water on social media.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
Mulva?

Dennis
Nooooo! Anywhoo that wouldn't be a dirty word. And it's not 'Muck' either.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-10-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I was expecting a much worse name than that. Compared to Abcd, Squire Senator is very pedestrian.

I don't think the family should have made fun of the name. Once a name is announced, the polite thing to do is smile, nod, and then talk shit about it behind the parents' backs.

But I don't think she should be blowing them out of the water on social media.
She went Librarian-poo because she told the family that they were under no circumstances to give him any sort of nickname, and always refer to him by all three first names as a unit.

Bitch be crazy, and the family was right to call her on her bullshit.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
, and always refer to him by all three first names as a unit.
OK, that's a bit odd. I just assumed everyone would default to "Sebastian" or even "Squire." All three is a bit much, but I have difficulty believing the story as told.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
OK, that's a bit odd. I just assumed everyone would default to "Sebastian" or even "Squire." All three is a bit much, but I have difficulty believing the story as told.
Me too. I think this is yet another Russian attempt to sow discord among the American people.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

That one's not so odd.
Gouverneur Morris was one of the Founding Fathers. His son, Gouverneur Morris II, was a railroad tycoon. Gouverneur Morris IV was a novelist.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM

And of course, Grace Slick almost had everyone beat by saying the chosen name for her daughter was 'god', with a small 'g' to stay humble.

And I'm always amazed that people name their children Jesus or Mohammed. Squire and Prince are nothing compared to that. I also worked with a girl named Queena, though it's because it's a quirk of the romanization of her name in Korean.

Last edited by lingyi; 12-10-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

When I was 19, I worked with a guy by the name of King Middleton.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
The name was "Abcde", not "Abcd" - evidently ANY name can be misspelled!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Only by someone who doesn't know the alphabet!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Abcd is the diminutive form of Abcde. Didn't you get the memo?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM

The absolute strangest ( or maybe not) name I heard was a kid called 'Boy', yes he was a boy. I thought, "really? You are so anti-something you couldn't give your kid a real name?" Turns out it was a nick-name for 'Boyette', apparently a family name.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Becky Bickhead from Biggers Arkansas … is that you?!?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:20 AM

My wife had a student named Lord William Butters Singleton III. He is now a police officer here, and I wonder what he is called, Officer Butters? Lord Officer the Third? Now mind you, he is neither a Lord nor the Third.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
The absolute strangest ( or maybe not) name I heard was a kid called 'Boy', yes he was a boy. I thought, "really? You are so anti-something you couldn't give your kid a real name?" Turns out it was a nick-name for 'Boyette', apparently a family name.
Not this Boy, then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_van_Poppel

j
Old 12-11-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I've always said that if you want to give your kid a crazy, creative name, that's what the middle name is for, and pair it with something conventional for the first name. That way, they can decide for themselves whether to embrace or ignore it.
Doesn't always turn out the way you think. I'll change the names for obvious reasons, but we chose a trad, family one (let's say Mary) and an unusual one (let's say Siobhan - it was unusual enough that it drew responses like Really?? Oh, ah......).

By the time school rolls around, Mary sounds like a name from the last century but one; and there are 3 other Siobhans in the same class.

It's a funny thing, the zeitgeist.

j
Old 12-11-2018, 05:02 AM

Bill Lear, the founder of the Lear Jet Corporation, named his daughter Shanda Lear.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:06 AM

My sister was a government worker and tells of one application she processed:

Name: 1142 South First Street
(Ok, she's thinking; just get the form lines mixed.)
Address: Same as Name.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 AM

I heard of some people called Shine who named their daughter Raina.

There are people who collect lists of these things, and books devoted to them:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...of_Real_People
Old 12-11-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Bildo?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Kudos to her family for trying to head off this nonsense at the pass.
Really? Risking possible long term estrangement over the choice of a name for her child? Do they think their ridicule will make her change her mind?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

One of my high school classmates’ fathers was named “Squire.” He must be 70-80 years old now. He seemed pretty normal.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The man we bought our house from was named Swepson. I'm assuming it was a family name, since he was a Jr, but it's right up there with unique names. His wife's name was Mary, so her common balanced his rarity, I guess...
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Hunt?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
And I'm always amazed that people name their children Jesus or Mohammed. Squire and Prince are nothing compared to that. I also worked with a girl named Queena, though it's because it's a quirk of the romanization of her name in Korean.
"Mohammad" is, by most accounts, the most common given name in the world. And while "Jesus" isn't a very common name in English-speaking cultures (although it's very common among Spanish speakers), its cognate "Joshua" is not unusual at all.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Besides, how can he tell if his Mom's getting annoyed?

"Bobby... Bobby... Robert!... Robert William Conagher!!"

"Gotta go, guys."
Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
“Boy Mulcaster” is the name of a character in Brideshead Revisited. But it’s not clear if that’s his given name or a nickname.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 AM

If the story's true at all, it sounds like we've come in at stage 2 or 3 of the argument. 'Squire' by itself isn't too odd. From reading the link, it looks like family were automatically shortening it to that because the full thing is clearly really impractical. Unfortunately, crazy-lady wants everyone to use a 3 part first name every time, and was then getting angry at people calling the baby 'Squire'. It's someone getting angry at friends and family calling baby Rebecca 'Becky', dialled upto 11.

People probably weren't bothered so much by the words themselves- as a first and two middle names it'd be pretty low in the weird name stakes- but the mother's reaction to anyone shortening it to something usable. No one wants to spend time with someone being so angry and controlling.

Last edited by Filbert; 12-11-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

At least she didn't insist on her first choice which would have forced them to always use "Squire Sebastian Senator of Ulm".
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
If the story's true at all, it sounds like we've come in at stage 2 or 3 of the argument. 'Squire' by itself isn't too odd. From reading the link, it looks like family were automatically shortening it to that because the full thing is clearly really impractical. Unfortunately, crazy-lady wants everyone to use a 3 part first name every time, and was then getting angry at people calling the baby 'Squire'. It's someone getting angry at friends and family calling baby Rebecca 'Becky', dialled upto 11.

People probably weren't bothered so much by the words themselves- as a first and two middle names it'd be pretty low in the weird name stakes- but the mother's reaction to anyone shortening it to something usable. No one wants to spend time with someone being so angry and controlling.
Hey!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:

He went on to have a successful law career, so apparently it didn't hold him back in any obvious way.
Lawyer Milloy never went to law school as far as I know, but he was a pretty good pro football player.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM

I think, "Son of Psycho Mom", would be more apropos.

My half brother named his son Falling Rain and his daughter Tashina Rainbow. We call them Rainy and Tashina.
I used to work with Janice Hurlbutt. It was her married name. I think I would have kept my maiden name...
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
Mulva?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Bildo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hunt?
Well, mixdenny, I got it. It was only one of two episodes of Seinfeld I ever watched and was hilarious.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Do these kind of parents think about their kids and how they'll have to deal with a lifetime of smirks and explanations when they tell people their names?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I used to work for a company with a CEO whose name was Champion. He would start many of his speeches by introducing himself, then get a chuckle by saying, "My mother did that to me."

The I found out that Champion was his second middle name. So he did it to himself.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
My half brother named his son Falling Rain and his daughter Tashina Rainbow. We call them Rainy and Tashina.
I used to work with Janice Hurlbutt. It was her married name. I think I would have kept my maiden name...
One of my customer contact's last name is Bunshaft. UGH! Bunshaft and Hurlbutt are the kind of names you don't want to have while in junior high (middle school).
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
Well, mixdenny, I got it. It was only one of two episodes of Seinfeld I ever watched and was hilarious.
Hey, I got it. But she said that wasn't it, so I guessed something else
Old 12-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I used to work for a company with a CEO whose name was Champion. He would start many of his speeches by introducing himself, then get a chuckle by saying, "My mother did that to me."

The I found out that Champion was his second middle name. So he did it to himself.
I see hundreds of names each day. I once saw a "Victor Champion." And just yesterday I saw a first name of "Perfecto." I once had a repeat customer at a retail store named "Immaculate Conceptíon."

"Squire" is unusual, but nothing so terrible as an three part, eight syllable name that sounds like a real estate firm from a British stage farce.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:55 PM

Oops, misspelled it. "Immaculate Concepción"

I also forgot to add, I wouldn't have made fun of the name if I were going to the shower, but I would have gotten the mother a copy of the children's picture book, Tikki Tikki Tembo.