Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,008
Stephen Curry is a moon landing denier

Fucking moron. Believe what you want, but this is a guy who is supposed to be a role model for kids and ought to keep his crackpot conspiracy bullshit to himself. Fuck you, Curry.
  #2  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,000
Never heard of him, so I guess I don't believe in him.
  #3  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,353
He's definitely a moron, but why is a guy that throws a ball through a hoop supposed to be a role model for my kids?
  #4  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
He's definitely a moron, but why is a guy that throws a ball through a hoop supposed to be a role model for my kids?
It's not the "throwing a ball through a hoop" part. It's the "celebrity that is well rounded, grounded, and not a jerk" part. Like it or not, kids look up to sports figures. Fact of life. Having one that doesn't beat his wife, or murder people, is a good thing. Being a moon hoaxer distracts from that.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-11-2018 at 11:45 AM.
  #5  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
It's not the "throwing a ball through a hoop" part. It's the "celebrity that is well rounded, grounded, and not a jerk" part. Like it or not, kids look up to sports figures. Fact of life. Having one that doesn't beat his wife, or murder people, is a good thing. Being a moon hoaxer distracts from that.
I'm sure kids look up to sports figures. Doesn't explain why they should. In any event, looks like he's just another moron.
  #6  
Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Steve MB Steve MB is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I'm sure kids look up to sports figures. Doesn't explain why they should. In any event, looks like he's just another moron.
At least if he was a football player, it could be excused as the sad results of too many blows to the noggin.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #7  
Old 12-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,333
According to the article its not just him, but also two other players on the same podcast, which suggests this belief might be fairly endemic in the NBA.

Its taking longer than we thought.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 12-11-2018 at 12:12 PM.
  #8  
Old 12-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 30,777
At least Kyrie Irving stepped back some from his flat-earth-conspiracy remarks.

"I do research on both sides," Irving said at the time. "I'm not against anyone that thinks the Earth is round. I'm not against anyone that thinks it's flat. I just love hearing the debate."

I love the tell-both-sides argument.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.
  #9  
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,353
Is it really "research on both sides" if one side is the scientific community and the other side is random pages on the Internet?
  #10  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,256
He isn’t a role model because of his theories. He is a role model because he is a study in human determination and perseverance. Kind of like how you are a role model because of neither. Achieve more.
  #11  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Lamoral Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,251
I think that moon landing conspiracy theories are going to continue to spread and gain traction until America puts more astronauts on the moon. I've encountered a number of moon landing denialists and I am convinced that one of the things that drives them is the fact that we "supposedly" put men on the moon 40 years ago yet we haven't been able to ever do it again. It's not a very logically sound argument, but it's rooted in emotion, not logic. If we had a handful of astronauts landing on the moon every year, in the present day, I think you'd see the moon denialist bullshit drop WAY down.
  #12  
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Tamerlane Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 13,453
I really like Curry the basketball player - he got me excited about the NBA again after years of not caring. I like Curry as the generally good-natured, fan-friendly face of the GSW franchise. I like Curry the socially aware Trump non-fan. And I like Curry the gender-inclusive doting father of two daughters, with his girl's basketball camp.

But jeez - what a moron* .



* Okay, ignorant as hell - probably not actually stupid.
  #13  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 AM
DesertDog DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 4,871
Well, as the Wizard told the Scarecrow, "I can't give you any brains, but I can give you a diploma."

NBA contract optional.
  #14  
Old 12-12-2018, 09:07 AM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Is it really "research on both sides" if one side is the scientific community and the other side is random pages on the Internet?
yes. we apparently decided that bullshit has to be given equal time/weight to facts.
  #15  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 30,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I really like Curry the basketball player - he got me excited about the NBA again after years of not caring. I like Curry as the generally good-natured, fan-friendly face of the GSW franchise. I like Curry the socially aware Trump non-fan. And I like Curry the gender-inclusive doting father of two daughters, with his girl's basketball camp.

But jeez - what a moron* .



* Okay, ignorant as hell - probably not actually stupid.
Thereís a GunShot Wound franchise?
  #16  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,852
Curry's denialism is particularly sad because he wasn't one of those one-and-done guys who was never really in college. He went to Davidson, one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country, for three years.
  #17  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13,054
Wow, it's even worse than thought.......from the OP-linked article - there were four NBA players in the talk show/interview (Curry included,) and all four opined that the Moon landings did not happen.
  #18  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 AM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 11,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Thereís a GunShot Wound franchise?
They changed their name to the "Wizards".
  #19  
Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
They changed their name to the "Wizards".
Yes! First their logo invoked violence. Even the two arms raised in the air for the "ll" in Bullets looked like someone being robbed at gunpoint.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-12-2018 at 12:40 PM.
  #20  
Old 12-12-2018, 06:43 PM
JeffB's Avatar
JeffB JeffB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,964
Steph said he was just joking, and he plans on taking up NASA on their offer.

Quote:
Obviously I was joking when I was talking on the podcast.
  #21  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM
The Stainless Steel Rat's Avatar
The Stainless Steel Rat The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 10,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Steph said he was just joking, and he plans on taking up NASA on their offer.
Backpedaling faster than he ever has on defense now, isn't he?

What would be sweet is if NASA could arrange for one of astronauts who actually landed on the moon to be there when Curry visits...
  #22  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Backpedaling faster than he ever has on defense now, isn't he?

What would be sweet is if NASA could arrange for one of astronauts who actually landed on the moon to be there when Curry visits...
How many real conspiracy theorists say it was a joke a day or so later?
I bet Steph would love meeting one of the few of them that are left. Maybe NASA could sign him up to do pr for them. That would be awesome.
  #23  
Old 12-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt Ike Witt is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,162
To be fair, I did call Stephan Curry and asked him for permission to land on the moon and he said no.
  #24  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Wow, it's even worse than thought.......from the OP-linked article - there were four NBA players in the talk show/interview (Curry included,) and all four opined that the Moon landings did not happen.

You can at least see why someone might think the Moon landing was fake.

Even worse, Kyrie Irving is a flat-earther, which is 100x more moronic because all you have to do is get in an airplane and see that’s not true.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #25  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Is it really "research on both sides" if one side is the scientific community and the other side is random pages on the Internet?
Sure. It has to be one or the other, right? That's fifty-fifty!
  #26  
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
You can at least see why someone might think the Moon landing was fake.

Actually, I cannot see how anyone might think the Moon landing was fake.

Quote:
Even worse, Kyrie Irving is a flat-earther, which is 100x more moronic because all you have to do is get in an airplane and see thatís not true.

They didn't have airplanes way back when it was first determined that the Earth is not flat. Flat Earth touts are equally as stupid as Moon landing deniers.
  #27  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:13 AM
Jeff Lichtman's Avatar
Jeff Lichtman Jeff Lichtman is offline
Head Cheese
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: El Cerrito, CA
Posts: 4,222
I have no reason to doubt Steph Curry when he says he was joking. He's shown no sign in the past of being either an idiot or a jerk. His explanation is that the moon landing comment was one silly thing in a podcast full of silly things, including stuff like speculation about what dinosaurs sounded like. He probably should have anticipated that people would take him seriously, especially considering that Kyrie Irving (another NBA star) actually seems to believe that the earth is flat. Misjudging how the public will react is not the same as holding an idiot belief.
__________________
'Tis a pity that I have no gravy to put upon Uncle Hymie.
  #28  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Dickerman Dickerman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
He probably should have anticipated that people would take him seriously,...
They're all morons.
  #29  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
He isnít a role model because of his theories. He is a role model because he is a study in human determination and perseverance. Kind of like how you are a role model because of neither. Achieve more.
Fuck off, troll.
  #30  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Ashtura Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Actually, I cannot see how anyone might think the Moon landing was fake.
I can. I mean, I believe we landed on the moon, but there are enough oddities that unless you look at the explanations for them, are pretty compelling.

I've always dismissed the CT out of hand primarily because hiding it this long would be impossible. The Russians could have and would have officially and loudly called us out on it.
  #31  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:59 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 16,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
They didn't have airplanes way back when it was first determined that the Earth is not flat. Flat Earth touts are equally as stupid as Moon landing deniers.
You realize Kyrie Irving is a basketball player currently alive, not some guy from before airplaines?
  #32  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:36 PM
carrps carrps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You realize Kyrie Irving is a basketball player currently alive, not some guy from before airplaines?
Is he a big Terry Pratchett fan???
  #33  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Sandwich Sandwich is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarf Lun'n
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
It's not the "throwing a ball through a hoop" part. It's the "celebrity that is well rounded, grounded, and not a jerk" part. Like it or not, kids look up to sports figures. Fact of life. Having one that doesn't beat his wife, or murder people, is a good thing. Being a moon hoaxer distracts from that.
Itís not just kids. Everyone looks up to basketball players.
  #34  
Old 12-15-2018, 06:26 AM
DesertDog DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 4,871
I'll say. I was watching a ST:TNG episode and they had brought onboard a Klingon Captain that was a head higher than Worf. Turned out to be James Worthy.
  #35  
Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 AM
don't ask don't ask is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 18,061
I believe Curry's information came from noted pilot Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
  #36  
Old 12-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Fugazi Fugazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
Itís not just kids. Everyone looks up to basketball players.
**groan**
  #37  
Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Batano Batano is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I can. I mean, I believe we landed on the moon, but there are enough oddities that unless you look at the explanations for them, are pretty compelling.
???
  #38  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:15 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 80,453
As an astrophysicist, he's a helluva basketball player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
I believe Curry's information came from noted pilot Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
What's our clearance, Clarence?
  #39  
Old 12-16-2018, 02:54 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I can. I mean, I believe we landed on the moon, but there are enough oddities that unless you look at the explanations for them, are pretty compelling.

Horseshit. There are no oddities at all.

Quote:
I've always dismissed the CT out of hand primarily because hiding it this long would be impossible. The Russians could have and would have officially and loudly called us out on it.

The primary reason to dismiss the CT is that it is unadulterated nonsense completely lacking any resemblance to science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You realize Kyrie Irving is a basketball player currently alive, not some guy from before airplaines?

Please tell me you're having me on.
  #40  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 13,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
At least Kyrie Irving stepped back some from his flat-earth-conspiracy remarks.

"I do research on both sides," Irving said at the time. "I'm not against anyone that thinks the Earth is round. I'm not against anyone that thinks it's flat. I just love hearing the debate."

I love the tell-both-sides argument.
That sounds like some old re-purposed "teach the controversy" bullshit.

All these clowns are either stupid, or flat out lying. Hard to tell which.
  #41  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:16 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 13,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You realize Kyrie Irving is a basketball player currently alive, not some guy from before airplaines?
So? He's still fucking stupid.
  #42  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:10 PM
jshore jshore is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
What's our clearance, Clarence?
Roger, roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Last edited by jshore; 12-16-2018 at 10:12 PM.
  #43  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 80,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
Roger, roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Huh?
  #44  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:13 AM
DesertDog DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 4,871
..

Last edited by DesertDog; 12-17-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: NM; I was whooshed.
  #45  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Horseshit. There are no oddities at all.




The primary reason to dismiss the CT is that it is unadulterated nonsense completely lacking any resemblance to science.




Please tell me you're having me on.
Yes thereís nothing odd at all about some guys launching from the Earth every human has walked on for millennia and touching foot on the fucking MOON!

Just another day at the office.
  #46  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:38 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,256
The idea that the edifice of science is so fragile that any deviation needs to be virulently condemned, and that the offender must be drug out into the public square, is not unlike the perpetuation of past religious orthodoxies. Let’s hope you guys can keep it together, at least for the kids.
  #47  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
It’s not just kids. Everyone looks up to basketball players.
Not point guards. I can look them in the eye, or even down on them.

The rest? Oh yeah.

It's really humbling when you watch a basketball game and say, "See that guy? The shortest guy out there? He's my height."

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-17-2018 at 10:42 AM.
  #48  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
The idea that the edifice of science is so fragile that any deviation needs to be virulently condemned, and that the offender must be drug out into the public square, is not unlike the perpetuation of past religious orthodoxies. Letís hope you guys can keep it together, at least for the kids.
It's taking longer than we thought.
  #49  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Not point guards. I can look them in the eye, or even down on them.

The rest? Oh yeah.

It's really humbling when you watch a basketball game and say, "See that guy? The shortest guy out there? He's my height."
No worries. Just go dig out some footage of Spud Webb or Muggsy Bogues doing their things.

Course, it's even more humbling when you watch the game and say, "See that guy? The one who just blocked Patrick Ewing? He's 9" shorter than me. "
  #50  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 20,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I think that moon landing conspiracy theories are going to continue to spread and gain traction until America puts more astronauts on the moon...If we had a handful of astronauts landing on the moon every year, in the present day, I think you'd see the moon denialist bullshit drop WAY down.
I don't. Nothing will change such idiotic thinking. I think the denialist bullshit will increase. Now they will have more to deny.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017