Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 PM

Please Explain Trump's Latest Shutdown Threat

i am sorry if I am being dense, but how exactly can Trump threaten a Government shutdown if no funding is provided for the infamous Wall (along the southern US border)? I am under the impression the FY-19 budget passed. I work for the Federal Government, and I never heard a single word of threat of a shutdown come Sep 2018. Now, all of a sudden, Trump is screaming for funding when the deed is (presumably) done for FY-19? Can someone explain this? Did I miss something?

Moderator: If this does not belong under the "Elections" forum, please pardon me and move to "General Questions".

Last edited by Jinx; 12-11-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 PM

He's the tail wagging the dog. He's trying to change the talking points on the news shows. He doesn't like how the investigations are going. And apparently he's pissed to the gills.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 PM

Here is my understanding. The deadline to fund the government was actually Oct 1. In September, a short term extension was passed. Congress passed another extension when Bush died, so they have until Dec 21 to get the rest of the funding in place.

Several departments have had bills passed to cover their funding (including defense and, hey, the legislative branch). There are more that have not had bills come up to vote yet.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:10 AM

The Democrats were supposed to threaten to shut down the government to prevent the border wall spending. Trump stuck his foot in his mouth and offered to shut down the government for them.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 AM

Pelosi was calling it 'Trumps shut-down' after the meeting.
He's officially stepped in the doggy doo-doo, A-GAIN.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Pelosi was calling it 'Trumps shut-down' after the meeting.
He's officially stepped in the doggy doo-doo, A-GAIN.
In the meeting Beckdawrek, she called it The Trump Shutdown IN the meeting. It was a truly beautiful moment. He looked like he was going to choke to death and repeated it back at her looking incredulous that she had the balls to go there.

And yes about the doggy doo-doo. Stepped into it up to his knee.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 12-12-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Tell me again why Nancy Pelosi is too old and past her prime to be Speaker and leader of the Opposition to Trump?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
In the meeting Beckdawrek, she called it The Trump Shutdown IN the meeting. It was a truly beautiful moment. He looked like he was going to choke to death and repeated it back at her looking incredulous that she had the balls to go there.
As if Loser Donald would pass up the opportunity to have something named after himself. It's going to be the bigliest, yuugest, most tremendous (in terms of shutdowns) shutdown that's ever been, and he's going to be the one who did it, all by himself like a big boy, without help from anyone else.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Tell me again why Nancy Pelosi is too old and past her prime to be Speaker and leader of the Opposition to Trump?
What’s hilarious is that Trump made a comment about Pelosi being in a weak position (since she has had to work to round up votes for Speaker). I think Schumer stole the show yesterday with that “I own the shutdown” exchange, but Pelosi came out looking great.

Trump is the single worst negotiator I have ever seen.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
He's the tail wagging the dog. He's trying to change the talking points on the news shows. He doesn't like how the investigations are going. And apparently he's pissed to the gills.
I disagree. Donald doesn't drink. He's naturally this incoherent, insecure, paranoid and stupid.

And he got comprehensively outmaneuvered. If the government shuts down, it'll all be on him and only him.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I disagree. Donald doesn't drink. He's naturally this incoherent, insecure, paranoid and stupid.
I think Beck used "pissed" as I would, to mean really, really, angry.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Since Mexico is paying for the wall, I fail to see what all the comotion is about.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Since Mexico is paying for the wall, I fail to see what all the comotion is about.
Mexico wrote a check for $5 billion to the US Treasury, but they forgot to write "big, beautiful wall" on the memo line, so it went into the general fund. Now Trump needs congress to allocate the funds to pay for his big, beautiful wall, of which large portions have totally already been built.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

¡Triste!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I think Beck used "pissed" as I would, to mean really, really, angry.
I dunno - who gets angry "to the gills"?

Although he is quite an angry man.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM

The threat was carefully crafted to be broadcast by the invited lying media as an intimidating public display of Trump's masterful negotiating skill, which is tantamount to stomping one's feet and holding one's breath like a three year old.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I dunno - who gets angry "to the gills"?
The Swamp Creature.

Yeah, I wouldn't use "pissed to the gills", but I think it was an accidental admixture of US and Brit usage.

Right Beck?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post

The threat was carefully crafted to be broadcast by the invited lying media as an intimidating public display of Trump's masterful negotiating skill, which is tantamount to stomping one's feet and holding one's breath like a three year old.
Either that or it was meant to display how poorly and unfairly the Democrats treat the sitting President. I mean, Chuck raised his voice in the presence of the President - such disrespect! There were two Dems to one Trump - he was outnumbered and being bullied by them - he had to fight back - Go Get 'Em Trump!

I think before that meeting Trump said to Puppet Pence " Just sit there and don't say anything. I got this."
Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

... he sits back, eyes closed, dreaming of Mother...
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The Swamp Creature.

Yeah, I wouldn't use "pissed to the gills", but I think it was an accidental admixture of US and Brit usage.

Right Beck?
That sounds like fun:

Boottrunk

French chips

Make fun piss out of you.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
The Democrats were supposed to threaten to shut down the government to prevent the border wall spending. Trump stuck his foot in his mouth and offered to shut down the government for them.
I want the booze and antacid concessions for GOP offices.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM

Steve Schmidt on Pence's performance at the meeting:

Quote:
If you sit like that on a commercial airliner, what will happen is all the flight attendants will have a meeting upfront to decide which one will check his pulse.
Maybe Pence was just trying to keep from checking out Nancy's legs.

Good heavens, for Donald to say he'd be happy to shut the government down over this is manna from heaven for the Democrats. Way to give away any leverage you might have, O Master Negotiator you. And where the heck are these sections of new wall that you keep boasting of? Are they made of super fine material, like your new suit?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Maybe Pence thought he could turn invisible, like Drax.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I think before that meeting Trump said to Puppet Pence " Just sit there and don't say anything. I got this."
I've heard Pence's performance compared to Elf on a Shelf. The rigidity, the vapid expression, just the eyes following ...
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM

I am sure that Individual-1's base(tm) is only too happy to hear him say he's going to shut down the government. He isn't worried. The rest of the Republicans are, but not him.

On the other hand, Pelosi just won the fight for the speaker's chair.

The only person in the room who lost reputation was Pence. His batteries definitely need replacing.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
The only person in the room who lost reputation was Pence. His batteries definitely need replacing.
Or topping off his embalming fluid.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

What was Pence supposed to do exactly? “Shhh, Mr. President, you’re embarrassing yourself!”

Trump was handling things exactly the way he wanted them to be handled: like a train wreck.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:01 AM

I think Pence got the short end of the stick here. He was probably told not to say anything, so why be there at all? Or he was told never to contradict Donald, so when Donald contradicts himself Pence has nothing he can say. In any event, Pence got humiliated for no particular reason.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 AM

I don't think Trump really knows when he's being played. He tried to be smart and get confrontational with Nancy and Chuck, so that it plays out well in front of his base, that he is fighting for the wall. Chuck goaded him into admitting that he's threatening to shut down his own government, and once he took the bait they just probably chuckled to themselves and let it play out. Pence looked super uncomfortable throughout the whole conversation, and was probably wishing he was anywhere else in the world, but on that chair.

[deleted link]

Last edited by Bone; 12-12-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link
Old 12-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I think Pence got the short end of the stick here. He was probably told not to say anything, so why be there at all? Or he was told never to contradict Donald, so when Donald contradicts himself Pence has nothing he can say. In any event, Pence got humiliated for no particular reason.
To the people who count in their eyes, all that mattered was that Pence was in the room, on camera, staring down the libs while Trump put them in their place.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
I want the booze and antacid concessions for GOP offices.
Hell with that, I'll deliver the revolver and bullet (singular) to the Senate Majority leader's office myself.

---
Given that Orange Julius Caesar just stepped into the biggest bucket of Brown Applesauce of the year, how far are Republicans going to go to help him clean it off?

Last edited by CaptMurdock; 12-12-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 AM

He was there just in case Trump felt like placing a water bottle on the floor.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 PM

In answer to the OP, it is only a partial government shutdown that is being threatened. Much of the government including Defense, HHS, Education and Labor have previously been funded well into 2019. The remaining portions ,including DHS, had sticking points in negotiations and so were only funded until Dec 21st.

Presumably you work for part of the government that falls in the first category.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 12-12-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
In answer to the OP, it is only a partial government shutdown that is being threatened. Much of the government including Defense, HHS, Education and Labor have previously been funded well into 2019. The remaining portions ,including DHS, had sticking points in negotiations and so were only funded until Dec 21st.

Presumably you work for part of the government that falls in the first category.
Agree, and Trump thinks he has a bargaining chip with the shutdown threat, unless he gets $5B for building the border wall (the one Mexico was supposed to pay for).
Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyanders View Post
I don't think Trump really knows when he's being played. He tried to be smart and get confrontational with Nancy and Chuck, so that it plays out well in front of his base, that he is fighting for the wall. Chuck goaded him into admitting that he's threatening to shut down his own government, and once he took the bait they just probably chuckled to themselves and let it play out. Pence looked super uncomfortable throughout the whole conversation, and was probably wishing he was anywhere else in the world, but on that chair.

[deleted link]
Welcome to the Straight Dope. I removed a link you included to a commercial site. Such links are not prohibited per se, but yours looked like spam so I removed it.

[/moderating]
Old 12-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
i am sorry if I am being dense, but how exactly can Trump threaten a Government shutdown if no funding is provided for the infamous Wall (along the southern US border)? I am under the impression the FY-19 budget passed. I work for the Federal Government, and I never heard a single word of threat of a shutdown come Sep 2018. Now, all of a sudden, Trump is screaming for funding when the deed is (presumably) done for FY-19? Can someone explain this? Did I miss something?
2 clicks can explain it all.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post

Thank you for actually answering the OP!

I myself work for the part of the government that isn't yet funded, and would shut down.

Last edited by scr4; 12-12-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:01 PM

Trump just threatened to step on his own dick if he does not get his way.

Brilliant 4D chess move, Mr. Trump!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Well, not defending Trump, but toadstools are hard to see and get stepped on all the time.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
I am sure that Individual-1's base(tm) is only too happy to hear him say he's going to shut down the government. He isn't worried. The rest of the Republicans are, but not him.

On the other hand, Pelosi just won the fight for the speaker's chair.

I missed it in whatever live news coverage it was on back in the US since I'm overseas, but here is the Wiki entry for "Individual-1". Anyway, when did that moniker first get attached to the neon goblin in the White House?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I missed it in whatever live news coverage it was on back in the US since I'm overseas, but here is the Wiki entry for "Individual-1". Anyway, when did that moniker first get attached to the neon goblin in the White House?
Recent indictments and sentencing memos from Mueller and SDNY (Southern District of New York) of Flynn and Cohen, mostly. They're all very careful not to NAME Trump but simultaneously make it very clear who "Individual 1" actually is (by referencing Individual 1's presidential campaign, Individual 1's electoral victory, etc).
Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I am sure that Individual-1's base(tm) is only too happy to hear him say he's going to shut down the government. He isn't worried.
Right. The only thing Trump has ever done is put on a show for his base, and because they're morons who will lap up any BS he pulls out of his ass, I really don't see how this event hurts him.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 AM

Coming from a jurisdiction where the mantra is always "The [Qeen's/King's] government must be carried on", it's hard to believe that shutting your government down isn't ipso facto a sacking offence. Ours may have got itself into a shambles trying to bridge the impossible, but at least the business goes on.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
Coming from a jurisdiction where the mantra is always "The [Qeen's/King's] government must be carried on", it's hard to believe that shutting your government down isn't ipso facto a sacking offence. Ours may have got itself into a shambles trying to bridge the impossible, but at least the business goes on.
As I recall, past shutdowns involved announcements that nonessential government employees don’t need to show up for work — which sounds (a) less like a big deal, and more (b) like a tautology; and which sparks inevitable wisecracks, especially from folks for whom ‘during the shutdown’ and ‘after the shutdown’ seem at first glance to be pretty much unchanged from ‘before the shutdown’: people who only know there’s a shutdown because they hear that there’s one, and who only know it’s over when they hear that, and who otherwise see no difference.

To coin a phrase, “business goes on”.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Recent indictments and sentencing memos from Mueller and SDNY (Southern District of New York) of Flynn and Cohen, mostly. They're all very careful not to NAME Trump but simultaneously make it very clear who "Individual 1" actually is (by referencing Individual 1's presidential campaign, Individual 1's electoral victory, etc).
Mueller’s people must have been having giggle fits when they wrote things like “Individual-1, who at that point had become the President of the United States ...”

Here’s the text in PDF form —

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co...sdny-cohen.pdf
Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
As I recall, past shutdowns involved announcements that nonessential government employees don’t need to show up for work — which sounds (a) less like a big deal, and more (b) like a tautology; and which sparks inevitable wisecracks, especially from folks for whom ‘during the shutdown’ and ‘after the shutdown’ seem at first glance to be pretty much unchanged from ‘before the shutdown’: people who only know there’s a shutdown because they hear that there’s one, and who only know it’s over when they hear that, and who otherwise see no difference.

To coin a phrase, “business goes on”.
I see the opposite, lots of people don't think it's a big deal and then they find themselves impacted in ways they never imagined. National Parks are closed and vacations are disrupted; checks from various agencies aren't cut, etc. People don't notice government when it's working well until it stops.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Heck, if there's a shutdown in February/March/April (and were I an American), I know I'd be annoyed since I like to file my taxes as early as possible.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I see the opposite, lots of people don't think it's a big deal and then they find themselves impacted in ways they never imagined. National Parks are closed and vacations are disrupted; checks from various agencies aren't cut, etc. People don't notice government when it's working well until it stops.
Except they (Congress?) try to make it painless by exempting essential employees from the shutdown. So air traffic controllers are still working, soldiers don't get recalled back home, etc.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Mexico said that they wouldn't pay for the wall.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Except they (Congress?) try to make it painless by exempting essential employees from the shutdown. So air traffic controllers are still working, soldiers don't get recalled back home, etc.
Yeah, but then they show up at the National Christmas Tree and find out that it's closed. It's why the Republicans will certainly punt again until after the holidays.