Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM

How did you react to Phantom Menace?

Next year, Phantom Menace turns 20 years old, so I thought I'd make this thread.

How excited were you when you heard that the Phantom Menace was coming out? Did you camp out in front of the theater? What did you think when you finished watching it in the theater?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Camped out, still have my ticket and pass.

Convinced myself I liked it the first time I saw it. When it comes at you new and the hype overwhelms you, you can convince yourself it is good. We cheered and enjoyed the pod race. Loved the duel at the end with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul.

Saw faults in it within a couple weeks and realized it was crap not too long after.

Here are my thoughts just over a year ago when I saw it again for the first time in 14 years.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

I thought it was perfectly fine for what it was (a kid's movie) and didn't hate it the way a lot of people did.

In comparison to A New Hope, Revenge of the Sith, or The Last Jedi it's mediocre, though.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Was very excited to see it, but not enough to camp out. After seeing it I left the theater feeling very disappointed.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Liked it, still like it. Think it holds up just as well as the original trilogy if treated in the same way.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Camped out, still have my ticket and pass.

Convinced myself I liked it the first time I saw it. When it comes at you new and the hype overwhelms you, you can convince yourself it is good. We cheered and enjoyed the pod race. Loved the duel at the end with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul.

Saw faults in it within a couple weeks and realized it was crap not too long after.

Here are my thoughts just over a year ago when I saw it again for the first time in 14 years.
From that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
The prequels benefit tremendously from having read Darths and Droids. It turns out that Jar-Jar really is loveable... if you think of her as an eight-year-old.
Wait.

Jar-Jar was a chick?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Excited at the prospect, amused by the teaser poster.

Hated every fucking second of the movie.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
Next year, Phantom Menace turns 20 years old, so I thought I'd make this thread.

How excited were you when you heard that the Phantom Menace was coming out? Did you camp out in front of the theater? What did you think when you finished watching it in the theater?
Not too excited, but glad there was another SW movie coming out. No camping, probably didn't see it first weekend.

My wife and I thought it was flat and lifeless. Yeah, we convinced ourselves when leaving that it was a decent movie, maybe we had seen EPIC SCIFI too many times, but that didn't last for long... it was just a boring plod.

Last edited by JohnT; 12-12-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Didn't camp out, but I did go fairly early. Found it mediocre at best.

Biggest flaw: it had a lousy villain. Darth Maul was a mask with nothing behind it. Less personality than a mannequin in a department store window and maybe the least interesting bad guy in the history of film.

Second big flaw: any fight with Obi-wan had no suspense. "Who's going to die? The one that wasn't in the original!"

OTOH, I didn't object to Jar-Jar and liked the use of his language with non English pronouns.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM

I saw it opening day, 1st daytime performance (10:00am, I think it was). I walked out extremely disappointed with the movie and overtly hating the racist caricature. I never gave George Lucas another dime of my money for anything.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:43 PM

I had an overall positive opinion coming out. It helped tremendously that it peaked at the end. Duel of the Fates is still the best piece of music in any Star Wars film, yes better than the Imperial March and the Star Wars theme.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Saw it fairly early in it's run, but didn't camp out/reserve tickets early.

Was sort of 'meh' coming out of the movie (IIRC--it has been a few years).

Thinking about it now, it was a movie with some great, indeed spectacular, scenes (the underwater scene, the droid/Gungan battle, the podrace) but completely without a really coherent storyline I could get behind, a problem all the prequels suffered from (IMHO again).
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 PM

didn't need to camp out just stood in line at the movies near because the theatre that it premiered in wasn't finished being built (my showing was the grand opening)

i loved it and realized that if it had come out first new hope would would be getting the crap for almost being the same movie....
and also agreed with who ever said Allen or Kasdan should of directed it oh and Anakin needed a diff actor

Last edited by nightshadea; 12-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I devoured every detail as it was being made. Couldn't get enough, so excited and energised by its imminent arrival.

After watching, I was desperate to try to make the best of it.

I failed. It's a genuinely horrible movie in a genuinely disappointing trilogy. I haven't watched any of the prequels in the past 10 years.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 PM

Couldn't resist reading the dribbles of spoilers and rumors that came out in the months leading up to it, and therefore had no enthusiasm whatsoever for it.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:03 PM

I was so disappointed with PM that I skipped SW2 & SW3. Then it happened again: I was so annoyed by SW7 that I couldn't care less about SW8 & SW9.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:32 PM

Greatly enjoyed Liam Neeson. And the last lightsaber fight and its music can still make the case for the best ever.

It was ROTJ that I felt meh at. "That's it??" Yug Yug?? Another Death Star? Ewoks??
Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Saw it, enjoyed it, and I still watch it every now and then. It was an option on a flight I was on earlier this year, so I’ve seen it recently. Now, I often pick classic or lighter newer films to watch on international flights. I’m just not able to focus on Oscar bait type films during flights.

I’d never camp out for a film.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:59 PM

I enjoyed it. It's not the greatest movie ever made (by a long shot), but it does have a little heart and it's not like the overproduced, milquetoast generic flicks made today. Later on, even after everybody and their brother turned hostile to the movie, I was still able to sit down and be entertained.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Wait.

Jar-Jar was a chick?
No, you're misunderstanding a bit.

Darths and Droids
is a webcomic that's been running for years. The creators have used screenshots from all of the SW films to tell the story of an ongoing tabletop RPG campaign in which the players are actually playing out the events of the movies (in a universe in which Star Wars has never existed, and so, they're just playing a space opera RPG).

In the strips, Jar-Jar wasn't meant to be one of the player characters. As the players are playing through their first adventure (TPM), at one session, one of the players is forced to bring his little sister along. She wants to play, and, being 8, she plays her character as a bright, inquisitive 8-year-old, who has no idea about the rules of the game universe, would.

Here's the strip in which she (and Jar-Jar) first appear:
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0017.html

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-13-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:29 AM

Liked it well enough. Didn't like Jar-jar, was ambivalent on the podracing (except the 2-headed announcer, whom I loathed), really didn't like the kid, thought everyone else was good.

Loved the SFX, the costuming, creature designs and the worldbuilding. Since that's what I watch Star Wars for, not acting or storylines, I was quite content.

Last edited by MrDibble; 12-13-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

I've always been a sucker for origin stories. So I liked it.

Origin stories tend to be my favorites of the Marvel movies as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:32 AM

After the first twenty minutes or so, I'd started counting the movies Lucas had lifted scenes from: Spartacus, Cleopatra, Ben-Hur.... Other than that, there was nothing that held my interest. Oh, and this little kid is going to grow up to be the personification of evil? Yeah, right. Pull the other one.

As far as I'm concerned, the series jumped the shark in Empire when Obi-Wan said "There is ... THE OTHER." That set up the whole incest thing, which ruined the relationship between the three leads. I loathed Return because the story, especially the ending, was so stupid.

I went to see Menace in the hope the series would somehow be redeemed. It wasn't, and I haven't been interested in Star Wars since.

Last edited by terentii; 12-13-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:35 AM

I went to see a 1am showing opening night with friends who lived 100 miles away. And I had to be at work at 7am the next morning. I really wanted to see this movie.

In the climatic battle at the end, the dialogue track failed about 10 minutes before the movie ended. We had all the f/x sounds, but couldn't hear anyone speak.

I hated it so much I don't think I bothered rewatching it to find out what was said at the end until it came on TV. I've watched Red Letter Media's deconstruction of it more times than I've seen the actual movie as it's so much more entertaining than the damn movie.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM

I was super pumped. Skipped a day of school to stand in line for 10 hours with a group of friends to buy tickets the week before it was released. I was so excited to see it, there was no possible way I was going to come out thinking it was a stinker. Loved Darth Maul. Was willing to overlook Jar Jar. Was thoroughly confused by midi-chloreans, but also willing to look past that. Eight times I watched the movie while it was in theatres. By the time Attack of the Clones came out, I was able to see that indeed the Phantom Menace was in total a pretty terrible movie. Still like Darth Maul.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Saw it first as a low-quality screener that my brother picked up from some dude near his trucking depot that sold pirated stuff.

Despite the low quality, I was excited -- it was Star Wars, after all -- only to be disappointed by the abysmal acting, in particular that stupid little kid, followed by the cartoonishness of that damnable Jar-Jar.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 AM

I was excited, although not with the twitching and permanent boner that a lot of Star Wars fans of my acquaintance had for months leading up to it.

Once I saw it, I had a mix of satisfaction and disappointment. I wasn't going in expecting anything mind-blowing out of the first movie in the trilogy, so it was entertaining enough, but it was far more of a kid movie than the first trilogy had been with a lot of stuff that was either trying to tone the violence down and/or make it more kid friendly that they probably should have left out.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 AM

I stood up after it ended and exclaimed "Wow! That was garbage!" in no uncertain terms. This was the second time I received applause from a crowd at a movie.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 AM

I went to it in the theatre six times.

Disliked Jar-Jar the first time around. HATED Jake Lloyd ("Now THIS is podracing!", which pales in comparison to "I'll try spinning, that's a neat trick!"). Enjoyed the battles, the bits of humour throughout, the duel at the end, and of course the score.

By the sixth go-round, all of the weaknesses were very apparent, which didn't stop me from buying multiple "special" versions of the home releases.

Compared to the next two movies, though, I would take this one every time.

ETA: The overall effect of the prequel trilogy, however, was that I lost my life-long love of Star Wars, and have not seen any of the movies newer than Revenge of the Sith.

Last edited by krondys; 12-13-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Saw it first day, didn't have to wait in line (I think we had more theaters back then than we do now, with a lot smaller population). Chuckled at the thought of all those fools who had been waiting in line for a week. They'd have made better use of their time driving to Phoenix.

It sucked from the beginning. Knew the pod race was there just for the follow on video game. What a waste of my money.

And I've seen every SW movie since. What can I say?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-13-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Compared to the next two movies, though, I would take this one every time.

ETA: The overall effect of the prequel trilogy, however, was that I lost my life-long love of Star Wars, and have not seen any of the movies newer than Revenge of the Sith.
1. Both prequel-sequels are terrible in their own ways. They have a few neat moments, but are trash and we would have been better if people who knew what they were doing made them.

2. Episode VII is a great movie in my opinion. I love it. VIII was a good movie with a script that needed work. I do not like Episode VIII much, to be honest, but it is not the trash that the prequels were. It's just a movie that I think made bad decisions.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM

My excitement for TPM was through the roof, I still believe TPM has one of the best trailers ever for a movie.

I went with friends, and I left with kind of a frozen smile/grimace on my face, probably due to shock, as I was still unpacking my bewilderment with what I just saw.

Needless to say, my opinion of it has soured since then. They never should have showed Darth Vader as a young child. NEVER.

My preferred viewing order now is to skip TPM altogether and start at Episode II. You need almost nothing from TPM to understand what's going on, and it fits the Ben's description to Luke about his father in ANH much better. No WAY was the original intent that he was a little kid when they first met - they were contemporaries.

TPM would be much different if I were in charge. Anakin would have been at least Luke's age, with Obi-Wan taking on more of the Qui-Gon role

Last edited by Ashtura; 12-13-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM

I had been so keen about its production that I put myself on a complete media blackout and wanted to go in completely unspoiled. I remember not eating lunch with my coworkers because they had Pepsi cans with characters on them. I really wanted it to be 100% fresh. I was going to wait until a visit with my family on the east coast and see it with my brother.

He then betrayed me and saw it without me and emailed me a warning that it wasn't very good. I trusted and trust his opinion, so I relaxed my spoiler embargo and read a review in my local paper that gave it a C. Finally, my wife and I went to see it, with lowered expectations.

The music started and the STAR WARS script receded into space and I got chills down my spine. The movie started and was interesting enough until they got down to Naboo and met Jar-Jar. It was pretty much downhill from there. I suppose I liked the Darth Maul lightsaber fight, but the time of the final space battle, I was just waiting for it to end.

Upon reflection, I liked the plot machinations of the prequels - the subterfuge and manipulation that Palpatine employs is quite clever. However, the execution is abysmal. I think of them and especially TPM as "A good idea done poorly".
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Like many others in this thread, I was 19 and a huge Star Wars fan, and I was insanely excited about George Lucas returning to the director's chair. I saw it opening weekend, and walked out dazed. I tried to focus on the positive but after a 2nd viewing realized that it was basically a mess. I think I may have even seen it a 3rd time in theaters just to make sure. For as terrible as the prequels were, I sure did shell out a lot of money to find out.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
I went to it in the theatre six times.

Disliked Jar-Jar the first time around. HATED Jake Lloyd ("Now THIS is podracing!", which pales in comparison to "I'll try spinning, that's a neat trick!").
[/I].
I'm not going to say it was a great movie -- I watched it sometime in the first week or so, and came out feeling pretty meh about it -- nor am I going to say that Jake Lloyd is/was a great actor, but you are placing blame incorrectly here. This is the SCRIPT, not the actor. You think a ten year old is adlibbing lines or something? Alec Freaking Guiness couldn't have made "I'll try spinning, that's a neat trick!" into a workable line.

Last edited by Airk; 12-13-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

When the movie ended I was so underwhelmed. I had gone in with high hopes and was treated to a story that aside from having a characters named Skywalker and Obi-Wan, had nothing to do with the original trilogy.

I remember literally thinking, 'yeah, that was a movie', and not much else.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I loved the first movie. I disliked the second, which was just filler to get me to see the third movie. I thought the third movie was OK but unnecessary - the first movie didn't need a sequel.

I didn't camp out to see TPM, but my wife wanted to see it. So we saw it. My hope was that it was the start of something fresh. I decided I am no longer a Star Wars devotee. I have seen most of the subsequent ones, but I doubt if I could name them or describe them. TPM wasn't any better, or worse, than any of the other prequels/sequels/who cares what they are.

I get it - the studio want that most valuable of all movie properties - a franchise, where they can keep pumping them out and have a built-in audience. I am not part of that audience.

The first movie was a recreation of an innocent movie experience. The rest are just exploitation.

My $.02 worth, and cheap at half the price.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Waited until it was on TV to see it. Fell asleep.

A couple years ago, my wife and son decided to watch the entire Eps 1-6. I watched with them. I couldn't stay awake through any of eps 1-3.

And in the above paragraphs, I'm not speaking metaphorically. I literally fell asleep in all four instances.

So I have no strong feelings about the prequel trilogy. It didn't hold my interest enough for me to have strong feelings about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Oh, and this little kid is going to grow up to be the personification of evil? Yeah, right. Pull the other one.
My, my, this here Anakin guy,
may be Vader someday later, now he's just a small fry

Yeah, that was way too much of a stretch.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM

I didn't remember when I saw it but it wasn't opening day. I already knew pretty much everything about it going in so I was aware of the movie's shortcomings.

You could make a laundry list of things that didn't work in the movie and it's been well discussed for the last 20 years. Anakin Skywalker and Jar Jar Binks are easy targets but I really think many of the other movie's faults could be overlooked if Anakin was a little older and Jar Jar wasn't such an annoying, immature character.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

When Star Wars (no episodes, no New Hope, just Star Wars) came out I was extremely excited. I was the perfect age for it. I saw the commercials on our black and white tv and it still looked incredible. No multiplexs yet so I had to beg my parents to keep trying to take me to the one or two screen movie theaters in the area. It felt like forever before we were able to get to a showing that wasn’t sold out. I loved it so much.

In 1999 I was no longer a little kid. It was a very busy year. Marriage, pregnancy, buying a house, working my ass off... I didn’t have much time to get excited over a movie. I was happy it was being made. I went to see it relatively soon after it was released. I saw the next two in the theater. I don’t hate it. Don’t love it either. Like many others I’m disappointed because the many flaws are apparent and shouldn’t have made it to the screen.

Last edited by Loach; 12-13-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 PM

I was excited to see TPM but not so much to go the first week. Nonetheless, my expectations were not met and I only saw it in the theater once and only bits a pieces of it on TV ever since. I agree that Annakin should have been older in TPM. If he was already a teenager, it would have given him a history to have developed the faults and issues that led to the dark side. And would have been a nice link to Yodas, "Too old to start the training" comment in TESB. It would also have made Annakin and Obi Wan contemporaries and increased their brotherly relationship. And made it not weird for him to hit on Natalie Portman later.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

I felt like I had sat through an hour-plus Toy/Merchandise commercial, made with all the finesse of it's cheesy, 1980s TV counterpart (but, admittedly, with better special effects).
Old 12-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
I was excited to see TPM but not so much to go the first week. Nonetheless, my expectations were not met and I only saw it in the theater once and only bits a pieces of it on TV ever since. I agree that Annakin should have been older in TPM. If he was already a teenager, it would have given him a history to have developed the faults and issues that led to the dark side. And would have been a nice link to Yodas, "Too old to start the training" comment in TESB. It would also have made Annakin and Obi Wan contemporaries and increased their brotherly relationship. And made it not weird for him to hit on Natalie Portman later.
I didn't think it was weird to hit on Nat. I try and suspend my disbelief as far as alien ages and cultures go.

I think a huge failing was overall in making Anakin likable. This was a failing in TNG with Wesley too. Let them be likable adults or rougish Han Solo types FFS. Don't make them whiny kids!! We can see peoples flaws from a mature POV.

Its just bad direction. Even that sand line can work with the right direction. Make it a joke.

We should really like Anakin before his fall. And make his fall tragic, not like turning a light switch. Shit, make him half machine before he even falls. Make it due to him sacrificing so much for the Jedi before they basically betray him with their rigid dogma. Let Padme live long enough for Leias lines to make sense.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
When Star Wars (no episodes, no New Hope, just Star Wars).
I watched the Death Star attack last night. Love it. So 70's. It's dark (lit-wise), character actors who look like real human beings, not models. The getting pilots loaded and X-wings taxied scene takes forever by todays standards!!

There's no dialogue in the control room save for what we hear over the speakers. That's remarkable.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

We saw Star Wars the day after we got engaged, so when TPM came out, my wife got us tickets for our anniversary. (Not opening day or anything.)

So we were reasonably excited. And came out of the theater saying, that sucked.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Good, but not great. Fun, but hardly inspiring.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

*points to his screen name and avatar*

Yes, I was hugely excited for TPM, having been a massive Star Wars geek since 1977, when my cousin and I pleaded with my aunt to take us to a showing of "this really cool movie we heard about."

On my first viewing of TPM (on opening night, of course), I was still excited, though there were definitely aspects of it that I didn't enjoy very much (e.g., Jar-Jar, Anakin being a pre-teen, the potty humor, revisionist history on things like C-3PO's origin, the flat dialogue, etc.)

But, I rationalized it, at the time, as being Lucas having always wanted to make movies that would appeal to kids, and now actually having kids, he was more overt in making a kid-oriented film. And, I acknowledged that I was, undoubtedly, viewing the original films through rose-colored glasses.

I watched the film several more times, and while there are some excellent scenes (like the three-way lightsaber duel), the weaknesses of the film became more evident to me. I went into Attack of the Clones hoping, "maybe this one will be better!" Not so much. I then went into Revenge of the Sith with a vague hope that it'd wrap things up adequately, and even with that lowered expectation, the film still didn't really deliver.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-13-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I watched the Death Star attack last night. Love it. So 70's. It's dark (lit-wise), character actors who look like real human beings, not models. The getting pilots loaded and X-wings taxied scene takes forever by todays standards!!

There's no dialogue in the control room save for what we hear over the speakers. That's remarkable.
There's a piece on YouTube called "How Star Wars Was Saved in the Editing" where they talk precisely about things like that. You'll never look at Lucas as a director the same way again.*

*Though I do wish we could have seen at least a little of the part in the beginning where he introduced Biggs.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

32-year-old me could not possibly love it as much as 10-year-old me loved the original. But I did not hate it as much as a lot of people did. At the time, I jumped on the I-hate-Jar-Jar-Binks bandwagon along with everybody else. In retrospect, I don't hate him (though he is still annoying).

When Queen Amidala addressed the Senate, I thought, "Her faux-Brit accent is even worse than Princess Leia's."

Ewan MacGregor did an awesome Alec Guinness impression.

I winced at the midi-chlorians. Dude, when you mix science-fiction and fantasy genres, just wave your hands and move on. Don't stop to explain it. The explanation is too mechanical for the fantasy fans, and too mystical for the science fiction fans. You just annoy everybody.

The pod-race was a little too long, but it had entertaining moments. I enjoyed the lightsaber fights.

Between Jar-Jar's fighting on the planet, and Anakin's fighting in space, the big battle was a little deus ex machina for my taste. If I had been 10 years old, I probably would have loved it. (One key to the prequel trilogy: each movie is aimed at an audience the same age as Anakin in that particular movie. Pretend you are a kid when you watch Episode 1; pretend you are in high school when you watch Episode 2; pretend you are in college when you watch Episode 3.)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
I'm not going to say it was a great movie -- I watched it sometime in the first week or so, and came out feeling pretty meh about it -- nor am I going to say that Jake Lloyd is/was a great actor, but you are placing blame incorrectly here. This is the SCRIPT, not the actor. You think a ten year old is adlibbing lines or something? Alec Freaking Guiness couldn't have made "I'll try spinning, that's a neat trick!" into a workable line.
Absolutely, I am misattributing my loathing... it is young Anakin that drove me batty, not necessarily the poor actor (who I understand was quite destroyed by the negative reactions to his stint as Anakin).

In the end, the prequels taught me (well, ALL of us, I should hope) that George Lucas has no business being involved with Star Wars any longer.