Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

WTF is with people who don't turn on their headlights at night?

Is it confirmation bias of some sort or has this gotten exponentially worse over the years? I come to an intersection, it's 6:45 PM in midwinter and the sky is overcast and rain is falling; I've got my headlights on and windshield wipers running, signal right turn, about to pull out when I sense that some portion of the grey mass that I thought was asphalt is actually in motion. Idiot in a dark SUV driving around in the dark with no freaking headlights.

Some percent of the offenders are driving vehicles that automatically turn on driving lights with or without the full headlights switched on. Doesn't do jack shit for enabling their taillights. Taillights exist for a reason. It's good to know that that lane is occupied before I get that close to you. Besides, this doesn't explain them all. I'm seeing plenty of pitch black stealth vehicles interspersed with the highway traffic these days. And since they're hard to see, I assume there are a lot more of them that I don't see, if you see what I mean.

Don't they notice that their driver console lights aren't on? That they can't see the speedometer and stuff like that?

And while I'm at it, does no one know what the fuck a headlight dimmer is? Don't come up behind me with your ten zillion candlepower searchlights blasting my mirrors! Don't come down the suburban street blinding me and driving down the middle of the road like that either. I was taught that you use bright lights when the road in front of you is unoccupied and dim them when there are other vehicles up there in front of you. And the damn things are a lot brighter than they were back when I was learning to drive.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Some people forget to turn on their headlights. (I even did it once, and I'm practically perfect) I agree it's a problem, but I haven't noticed it getting worse. A gentle flash of your high-beams will often correct the situation.

I do join your hate for the drivers that down dim their high-beams when there is traffic around. Again, though, probably just inattention.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:25 PM

It's a problem but it happens. Just natural human fallibility. Hell, I usually turn on my lights even in the day just to keep it a habit (just like turn signalling even when nobody is around). But even I realized I forgot halfway to the store a week ago. Extremely rare, but I was stressed and distracted when I got in the car and must have spaced.

Newer cars have an auto setting that turns on lights automatically in any even marginally low-light situation, which is great. But unfortunately most people aren't going to have shiny new cars with safety features like that.

Last edited by Jragon; 03-10-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Around here, driving with no headlights is sometimes called "stealth mode" or "the wannabe ninja" and is an EXCELLENT means of enabling a lengthy roadside conversation with a couple of Dallas' finest.

Driving with your high beams on, meanwhile, draws my personal wrath & ire upon you. I will curse you and all you hold dear, including a request for the fleas of a thousand camels to re-home themselves in your crotch.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I don't understand why headlights are not automatically tied to the vehicle being in operation. Headlights during the day are still a good idea.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I don't understand why headlights are not automatically tied to the vehicle being in operation. Headlights during the day are still a good idea.

Battery shelf life ? I 'unno, I don't car.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:49 PM

People are forgetful.

That said, if you are noticing an increase, there may be a reason, in that so many cars have automatic headlights anymore.

I don't really pay attention to my lights, as they come on and go off by themselves. But, from time to time, for some reason, they get turned off (e.g. when I get an oil change at the dealership). I don't realize that they have not turned on by themselves until it starts getting pretty dark, and they still haven't kicked in. It's just not something that I think about anymore.

Also, my dash lights don't really change when I turn the lights on or off, so that's not a clue. I should notice the lack of a little green icon on the bottom left of my dash, but, once again, something I'm not really looking for.

As far as high beams, I don't know what is up with that. It does seem to be becoming more prevalent. Forgetting your lights is forgivable, leaving your highs on with approaching traffic is being a dick.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Typed up a post before reading the whole thread, and I see that k9bfriender said exactly what I had typed out, so I'll just say "Me too".

I'll add that I live in an area with good lighting and lots of traffic, so my sight isn't affected by my lights being out. I do know it makes it tougher for others to see me, especially pedestrians. But I go in for service twice a year (hopefully) so it's not something that happens often.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:03 PM

Sometimes you just forget, especially if you begin your drive in a lighted environment. I once started out a drive at night from a well-lit garage and didn't turn the headlights on. If someone hadn't notified me, just before I was exiting the garage, that the lights weren't on, I wouldn't have known.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I have automatic headlights so I never turn mine on. They come on and go off on their own. Itís possible at times I may shut that off for whatever reason. If that happens I usually forget to turn them back on.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
... about to pull out when I sense that some portion of the grey mass that I thought was asphalt is actually in motion. Idiot in a dark SUV driving around in the dark with no freaking headlights.
I've seen this dangerous bullshit a few times. Some of these drivers may just be forgetful, others might be impaired. You'll be pleased to know that one time when I saw this, another car appeared in the dark behind the asshole, although the second car did have its headlights on, and moments later also turned on red and blue strobes on its roof. So the asshole had some 'splaining to do, and if he was arrested for being impaired, so much the better.
Quote:
And while I'm at it, does no one know what the fuck a headlight dimmer is? Don't come up behind me with your ten zillion candlepower searchlights blasting my mirrors!
Now that virtually all new cars have super glaring blue-white LED headlights with the power of a thousand suns, even low beams are dangerously glaring. Those damn things should be illegal!
Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 PM

It's because there streets are lit too well. Often I can barely tell if my headlights are on or not. I really think we'd be safer if the streets were a little darker at night, except near pedestrian crossings.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
It's because there streets are lit too well. Often I can barely tell if my headlights are on or not. I really think we'd be safer if the streets were a little darker at night, except near pedestrian crossings.
I used to work at a restaurant in the middle of a big shopping plaza, across the street from another big shopping plaza.

When I would leave at night, it would be so bright that I couldn't see my headlights on the road.

One of my co-workers actually did get pulled over for driving without headlights while leaving, I was never so lucky.

But yeah, just because you can see doesn't mean that you can be seen. Headlights in those situations are more for the others on the road (including pedestrians) than for you.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
But yeah, just because you can see doesn't mean that you can be seen. Headlights in those situations are more for the others on the road (including pedestrians) than for you.
And the aforementioned blue-white glaring LED headlights are presumably so you can be seen from Mars.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:50 PM

I've done this probably as much as a dozen times in my driving life (which, in my defence is multi-decade). I'm sorry. I guess I'm just being a dim bulb.

It's always just the first five minutes or so, and then I have the need to actually look at the dashboard to check my speed or whatever, but I'm sure I've passed any number of people before that point thinking "WHAT A TOTAL MAROON!!! HOW HARD IS IT TO JUST REMEMBER TO TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON??!!??" Too hard, apparently.

I forget to turn them off at the end way more often
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
I forget to turn them off at the end way more often
That's the main reason I like automatic lights.

Not because they turn on automatically, but because they turn off automatically.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
I guess I'm just being a dim bulb.
Heh.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Not because they turn on automatically, but because they turn off automatically.
I leave my lights on all the time, they turn off with the car.

I suspect daytime running lights can confuse drivers into thinking they have their lights on.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 PM

I think that those blaming the auto-on headlights have the right of it. Just last week after driving the car out of an attended airport parking lot onto a well-lit highway, it took me a bit to realize the car park guy had turned mine off.

Quote:
Don't they notice that their driver console lights aren't on? That they can't see the speedometer and stuff like that?
Those cars that have the auto-on headlights? Also more likely these days to have electronic instrument clusters.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
I think that those blaming the auto-on headlights have the right of it. Just last week after driving the car out of an attended airport parking lot onto a well-lit highway, it took me a bit to realize the car park guy had turned mine off.
And then, since you only mess with your lights a couple times a year, it takes you another little bit to figure out how to turn them on.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
Those cars that have the auto-on headlights? Also more likely these days to have electronic instrument clusters.
Heck, never mind "these days" or auto-on, to give an example from personal use a 2009 Accord with no auto-on and physical-pointer analog gauges for speed/tach/fuel/temp has them always backlit, same with the stereo's screen. It is only if/when you try to reach for the AC setting that you notice it's not lit. (BTW although that car has no auto-on, it DID include an auto-off battery saver, so after a certain time after you cut the ignition the lights would turn off anyway)

As for the loss of use of the headlight dimmer, I can only blame a decay of proper driver ed (just as for the insistence on using the flashers alone rather than turning on the actual driving lights in stormy conditions). Plus probably a not insignificant amount of "but I NEED to SEE as far as possible ALWAYS!!!" Dude, it's night. It's dark. Accept that you can't see for miles and miles and slow down to a speed that lets you brake within visual range and if you are in traffic dim the lights. Though with that and the overpowering headlights there is also a factor of misaiming: if people installing these air-raid-searchlight-grade HID lights aim them STRAIGHT AHEAD trying to spot things all the way to the horizon, it only makes things worse.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 03-10-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

My car has automatic headlights, but sometimes they don't turn on when I think it's dark enough that they should be on, so I switch them on myself. (Other times my headlights will turn on in full daylight. So I have no idea what's going on there.)

What I'd like to know is, why can't they wire the headlights into the wiper switch so that your lights come on when you turn your wipers on? My state has a law now that lights must be on when wipers are on, but I still see a lot of idiots out there in low-visibility rainy weather with no lights on.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup
Now that virtually all new cars have super glaring blue-white LED headlights with the power of a thousand suns, even low beams are dangerously glaring.
Yes, what some drivers apparently think are my high-beams are the low beams that came with this model.

Though around here the flashing of headlights at night from an oncoming vehicle is equally likely to warn me of deer in the road or a speed trap.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 03-10-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Luminary

In the Philippines they think they will get better gas mileage. I do my best to avoid driving at night there. They do a lot of incredibly stupid shit. Occasionally you'll see a red light on the FRONT of a motorcycle. You can't convince them that riding the clutch is bad.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 PM

Since my current job has me driving, in part after dark, I've been thinking about this issue quite a bit.

Nearly every day, I see someone driving with their lights off on the stretch of freeway I traverse. In this particular instance, it seems to be, as mentioned, due to a) the highway being fairly well lit, and b) in some cases, drivers are confused because their daytime running lights are on rather than the head/tail lights.

Whenever I'm overtaken by one of these people, I flash my headlights off and on a few times to try to get their attention, but I have yet to see anyone recognize the signal and turn on their lights.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 PM

I see this in the morning (I start at 0600).
There is ALWAYS at least 1 vehicle on I-80/ US101 after the Bay Bridge with their tail lights off but headlights on. I figure they think they are fine because they can see and do no know their other lights aren't on. There is no way to flash any combination of lights to an urban California driver and get then to realize anything; they will get angry and imitate whatever you do.
Flash headlights at slowpokes in the no. 1 lane? If they are doing this in the firstplace, they will not know why you flash your lights.
Flash headlights at an oncoming vehicle to warn them of an accident, po-po or their lights are off? They will switch theirs on high.
Turn signals when turning onto a side street? Not until they actually start the turn. If then.
Some radio stations will remind listeners to turn on their lights when wipers are used. It may be having an effect.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

When I take my car in for service, they turn off my automatic headlights. Now that I know this an expect it, it’s not a problem. But the first time, I had no idea my lights weren’t on. The area outside the service center is well lit, and all of my gauges are illuminated whether the lights are on or not. It wasn’t until I pulled into my parking spot at work (only a couple of miles) that I realized I wasn’t lighting up the car in front of me.

In a well-lighted area, I can see someone being oblivious to this for longer distances.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:39 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Since my current job has me driving, in part after dark, I've been thinking about this issue quite a bit.

Nearly every day, I see someone driving with their lights off on the stretch of freeway I traverse. In this particular instance, it seems to be, as mentioned, due to a) the highway being fairly well lit, and b) in some cases, drivers are confused because their daytime running lights are on rather than the head/tail lights.

Whenever I'm overtaken by one of these people, I flash my headlights off and on a few times to try to get their attention, but I have yet to see anyone recognize the signal and turn on their lights.
Around here, there are long stretches of totally dark roads between towns. Idiots still don't turn on their headlights.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 AM

I had a friend who was clearing property, cutting down trees for an hour or so after work each night. He purchased and mounted huge, bright lights (he said they were airplane lights) to his Jeep's rear bumper. He would leave the vehicle running and light his work area enough to operate his chainsaw.

One night while driving home after a few hours of chainsawing, someone came up close behind him with their bright lights on. He was grumpy and not thinking clearly, so he flipped the toggle and turned on his bright rear facing lights on then off.

I once had someone right on my bumper with their brights on. I was in a horrible/nasty/angry/noshitgiven mood, so I tapped my brakes. Amazingly, the car didn't hit me, but it did turn on its flashing cop-lights. I guess I scared the shit out of him, and he yelled quite a bit, but I told him I'd seen a deer about to start across the road and reflexively went for my brakes. He yelled some more, but let me go.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM

So the cop was tailgating, but got mad at you for hitting your brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post

I wish they were a lot darker so there wouldn't be so much light pollution in the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
In the Philippines they think they will get better gas mileage. I do my best to avoid driving at night there. They do a lot of incredibly stupid shit.

Yikes, reminds me of my time in Jamaica. There are a lot of twisty, windy roads there that are pretty narrow. Cars can really only pass each other when going around turns if they go slowly and carefully. Which they do not. So they have a sort of folk remedy: when getting ready to career into a turn, they honk the horn a couple times. I had gotten used to this system by the time I was in one guy's taxi and noticed that he wasn't honking as the other drivers did, although he was driving just as wildly. I nervously asked him why he didn't honk, and he assured me there was no problem, because he could just listen for the honking of others.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
So the cop was tailgating, but got mad at you for hitting your brakes.
I later found out from others that he does that to try to provoke a reason to pull people over. It was 3 am and I guess he assumed I was DUI just based on time.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
My wife's car (2012 VW Passat) has daytime running lights all the time, and some kind of headlight sensor that turns the main headlights on and off as needed.

I suppose maybe under certain cloudy conditions, it's not *quite* dim enough outside to make the auto-lights come on when maybe others may think they should be on.

OTOH, in my pickup, it's all manual, so there have been a very few times when I've started it up at night in a very well lit parking lot, and then started driving on a very well lit road, only to realize a little later when I see cars with their lights on, that I forgot to turn my own lights on. Usually it's because it's well lit enough that I could see the road and gauges without needing the lights on, and I'm preoccupied with something else. Once either of those conditions cease to be, or I notice that my lights are off and everyone else's are on, I turn mine on.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Automatic headlights mean more people don't think about their lights at all. More street lighting means they don't realize their lights aren't on. I see many cars without headlights on in the evening, not so many in the early morning. Surprisingly, I sometimes see cars with their parking lights on, but not headlights. This is annoying, but not quite as dangerous as no headlights.

I drive with my headlights on all the time. It's just safer. When I see other drivers without their headlights on, I flicker my lights on and off. Flashing highbeams just pisses drivers off. Switching lights on/off multiple times gets a better response.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Newer cars have an auto setting that turns on lights automatically in any even marginally low-light situation, which is great. But unfortunately most people aren't going to have shiny new cars with safety features like that.

Even that can be a problem. I just bought a new truck, and spent the first evening driving around with just my daytime running lights on because in the years between my last truck and the new one, Ford saw fit to reverse the order of all the switches. What I thought was the Auto-on spot was actually the off position.

I did notice my interior lights were off, but attributed that to the also-new-type dimming switch that I also hadn't figured out yet.

I got better.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:53 AM

In older cars, the dashboard illumination only comes on when the headlights are on. My whole life I've seen people driving with their headlights off at night who could not have helped but notice they can't see their speedometer, fuel indicator, and other instruments -- if they'd looked. So one can reasonably conclude that they're not just failing to notice because streetlights are bright -- they're actively failing to observe safe driving practices.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

On that note, a friend if mine once only noticed that both of her headlights had burned out when she approached her house and the street light density decreased.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Part of it is DRLs. The spec was they were 90% as bright as headlights. Since most people can't tell the difference between 90% DRL & 100% headlights on, they don't realize that they only have the DRLs on & that they have no driving/taillights.

I left work late one night (2:30-3am); I know my headlights were on because they shown on the wall of the parking garage as I circled up. It had rained so the city streets were wet/glistening. Somehow, in activating my turn signal I must have rolled the lights to parking lights as both are on the same stalk. Between all of the city/building lights & the reflections on the street, I didn't realize it. I got pulled over; the lights being a suspicion of DUI, given the time of morning. Of course this was the day that I gave a cow-orker a ride home. Didn't live it down until he moved across country & left the company.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Why bother making any difference between DRLs and regular headlights if it's only a ten percent reduction?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Driving has been improving where I live, but two decades ago it was normal not to turn on lights until it was quite dark. Once I turned mine on at dusk and a cop car coming toward me started swerving back and forth to get my attention. I had to turn my lights off to calm him down!

Worst are wagons drawn by slow tractors after dusk that have no rear reflector at all. I've a story about that, but it belongs in the "Closest you've come to death" thread.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
In older cars, the dashboard illumination only comes on when the headlights are on. My whole life I've seen people driving with their headlights off at night who could not have helped but notice they can't see their speedometer, fuel indicator, and other instruments -- if they'd looked. So one can reasonably conclude that they're not just failing to notice because streetlights are bright -- they're actively failing to observe safe driving practices.
Sometimes, it simply doesn't occur to you, or it's bright enough that you don't notice.

I've long since defaulted to always leaving my light on in the car. All the cars I've owned from the 2000s automatically shut of the lights after about twenty seconds or so after you turn the car off, so there's no worry of leaving the lights running. And daytime running lights are common enough, so I see no reason not to have my lights on at all times. I also don't like the "auto" setting because there are times where I feel it's dark enough or road conditions are such that I would normally drive around with my lights on, but the "auto" setting determines it's not dark enough for it to trip the lights. So I just don't trust it and leave them on always.

But back before, sometimes I would start a journey before dusk or in a well-lit place that I simply didn't notice my lights were off. And even looking at the dashboard, in a brightly lit city like Chicago, I sometimes simply wouldn't notice. This would happen to me about three or four times a year. Usually, people are good at flashing their high beams at you to let you know, but it's happened that at times I didn't even notice until I was on a road with a dark patch on it.

As for dimmers, in my case, it's not that people are using their high beams. There's just simply a lot of vehicles on the road right now that have powerful normal beams and whose headlights are positioned higher on their vehicle (and perhaps angled) such that they are irritating as shit and seem to be high beams when they are not. I've noticed this with a lot of SUV and truck-type vehicles.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Why bother making any difference between DRLs and regular headlights if it's only a ten percent reduction?
I think that is far from universal. On many cars they are a completely different set of lamps, or a strip of LEDs. On my car, the DRLs are the high beams running at reduced brightness (more like 30%, not 90%) and the regular headlights are a different set of bulbs.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I just turn my headlights on every time I start the engine (and turn them off every time I park and turn it off).
Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM

I have noticed that older cars only lit up the gauges when the headlights are on. Most modern cars have them illuminated all the time. Someone adjusting to a newer car may see the gauges lit up at night and assume the headlights are already on, especially if they are in a well lit area.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:26 PM

I have little reason to complain: my 20-year-old headlights are hovering between too dim to illuminate what's 30 yards in front of me and bright enough to make me visible to surrounding traffic. Cleaning the covers accomplishes little. If I want to keep the car I'll have to have one or both replaced.

One thing I do hate is the combination of aftermarket halogen/LED lamps with the height conferred by modern SUVs and other vehicles. Even dimmed, I'm getting hit with way-too-bright light at eye level, which is discourteous and dangerous.

Last edited by The King of Soup; 03-12-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I had a friend who was clearing property, cutting down trees for an hour or so after work each night. He purchased and mounted huge, bright lights (he said they were airplane lights) to his Jeep's rear bumper. He would leave the vehicle running and light his work area enough to operate his chainsaw.

One night while driving home after a few hours of chainsawing, someone came up close behind him with their bright lights on. He was grumpy and not thinking clearly, so he flipped the toggle and turned on his bright rear facing lights on then off.

I once had someone right on my bumper with their brights on. I was in a horrible/nasty/angry/noshitgiven mood, so I tapped my brakes. Amazingly, the car didn't hit me, but it did turn on its flashing cop-lights. I guess I scared the shit out of him, and he yelled quite a bit, but I told him I'd seen a deer about to start across the road and reflexively went for my brakes. He yelled some more, but let me go.
One thing I miss about a manual. You could push in the clutch, and then just move the stick to right before it goes into reverse (it will never actually go in, but your start scraping your synchronizers), and your reverse lights come on.

People usually back off my bumper when they think I just threw the car into reverse on the interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Part of it is DRLs. The spec was they were 90% as bright as headlights. Since most people can't tell the difference between 90% DRL & 100% headlights on, they don't realize that they only have the DRLs on & that they have no driving/taillights.
I rented a car like that once. Seemed as thought he headlights were on, so I thought I was good. Wasn't until I was at an intersection and the driver next to me got my attention to tell me I had no rear lights.

My current car has an overhead "picture" of my car, along with what lights are active. Much easier to tell if the rear lights are not on.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I leave for work at %:45 AM, daily.

I see it constantly.

I can't fathom it.

And hate it.

- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Nowadays my headlights turn on with the car, and that's a good thing, because between streetlights and my night vision the only difference between "headlights on" and "headlights off" is whether the super-reflective things like streetsigns light up. Everything else, my eyes adapt to and I don't see the difference.

And yes, once when I was a kid I got pulled over for driving a short way lights-off. It was a major well-lit road, and I honestly didn't notice - I could see just fine.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
One thing I do hate is the combination of aftermarket halogen/LED lamps with the height conferred by modern SUVs and other vehicles. Even dimmed, I'm getting hit with way-too-bright light at eye level, which is discourteous and dangerous.
Yep. The height at which they're placed in some SUVs and pickups, combined with the blue-white LED glare, is massively annoying. I was being bothered by the glare from one such pickup behind me once, and had to flip the mirror to the low-reflection position, and in all seriousness it was mid-afternoon broad daylight! At night those horrors would have been deadly blinding! I find myself flipping that mirror a lot these days.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
... and had to flip the mirror to the low-reflection position, and in all seriousness it was mid-afternoon broad daylight!

My new truck has one of those electro-optic auto-dimming rear-view mirrors (With extra hyphens!) and I have to say, even though it's only been two weeks, I'm Loving It! I haven't been blinded by anything so far. Cars, Trucks, the Sun on the horizon? No Problem!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
My new truck has one of those electro-optic auto-dimming rear-view mirrors (With extra hyphens!) and I have to say, even though it's only been two weeks, I'm Loving It! I haven't been blinded by anything so far. Cars, Trucks, the Sun on the horizon? No Problem!
I don't got none of that there newfangled stuff. And pardon me, but "my new truck"? I bet it has blue-white LED headlights mounted directly at eye level for a driver sitting in a normal car in front of you, with a brightness designed to be visible from Neptune. Sounds like you're part of the problem, pal!

Last edited by wolfpup; 03-12-2019 at 08:12 PM.