View Poll Results: McDonald's fries are the worst, right?
Yes, McDonald's fries are the absolute worst fries of any kind 12 6.03%
Inexplicably, I'm going to say that McDonald's fries are the best fast-food fries 66 33.17%
They're not the best, they're not the worst fast-food fries 115 57.79%
Something else 6 3.02%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Poll: McDonald's fries and Big Macs are substandard, even for fast food

Look, I'm no food snob. I eat high-quality food. I eat junk food. I have my favorite sushi bar, which I can't get out of less than $80 for dinner for two. I also jumped with joy when a Taco Bell Cantina opened near me.

I occasionally eat at McDonald's. Often it's because I'm in a hurry and there aren't any other drive-throughs around. Sometimes it's because I have a specific craving for junk food.

When I do go, I might be there for an Egg McMuffin, or a Sausage and Egg McMuffin, or a Chicken Biscuit, or a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, or a McDouble, or a few McNuggets, or, most often, just a Cheeseburger or two. They're cheap. They're tasty. The satisfy a particular craving.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and fast food often comes up, and it's very common for me to hear folks talking about how great McDonald's fries are and how a Big Mac is their personal vice.

But, come on, can we be real? McDonald's fries are pretty much the worst fries you can get anywhere. They're not even potatoes. They're tiny, flavorless, textureless, extruded strings made from some kind of potato-like meal.

They're moderately edible when you get them hot (they smell nice), but as soon as they cool, which is within about 10 minutes or so, they have the flavor and texture of wet corrugated cardboard.

Annnnyyyone's fries are better than McDonald's. Anything made from an actual potato that is sliced and cooked is better than McDonald's fries.

And the Big Mac ... hands down, McDonald's worst-tasting sandwich. It's got a flavorless, pointless, extra slide of bread, and flavorless "special sauce." Far inferior to a Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Am I right, or what?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Yeah, they're under cooked and Hunts ketchup is an abomination.

I don't get the appeal.

Wendy's all the way.

But you're wrong about the Big Mac being Micky Ds worst sandwich, that goes to the fish sandwich.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 AM

The fries? Explicably, the best.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 AM

I eat very little fast food. If I'm going to eat a burger I want freshly ground filet cooked rare buy sous vide. But, if I have to eat fast food, I won't turn down a big mac and fries.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:58 AM

I don't even eat McDonald's fries and burgers, and I still hate them. When someone brings them on the bus, it stinks up the whole bus.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM

Burger King makes a sandwich called the Big King XL that's like a Big Mac on steroids. I'm not a big Burger King fan, but it's a pretty damn tasty sandwich.

And McDonald's fries are good but not great. Of the fries from the big three chains, I'd put them below Wendy's fries but ahead of Burger King's.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

The fries? They're OK.

The Big Mac is perfect when you want a Big Mac. (Also, the Filet-O-Fish is perfect.)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Yeah, Burger King fries are the worst.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I eat very little fast food. If I'm going to eat a burger I want freshly ground filet cooked rare buy sous vide. But, if I have to eat fast food, I won't turn down a big mac and fries.
Obviously, I've eaten them occasionally. Otherwise, how could I have an opinion about them. But any other fast food is better. Even any other item on McDonald's own menu.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

McD's fries ARE the best. But only under very specific conditions (as with all fries).

The fries have to be fresh right out of the fryer. And the guy working the fryer needs to be very generous with the fry salt. Salting them yourself with the salt provided at the table is nowhere near the same.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM

I like their fries just fine, but Big Macs are ok at best. I mean, back in the day when they'd run 99 cent Big Mac specials, they were decent enough, but not much beyond that.

And what's wrong with Hunt's ketchup anyway? It's not Whataburger ketchup, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Your wrong. McD's has a unique taste which is intentional, you want that taste you go there, deviation from this plan will end up in very sad children. The Big ac has too much breading which absorbs taste, get a double 1/4 pounder (hold ketchup and if in that area mustard) add mac sauce (or order it on the side as that is free) and you will taste what God eats s fast food (though that was with their old beef patties not the new 'fresh' ones. The fries used to be better but ain't bad.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
McD's fries ARE the best. But only under very specific conditions (as with all fries).
McDonald's fries are the best fast food fries. McDonald's fries in 10 minutes are the worst fast food fries.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
And what's wrong with Hunt's ketchup anyway?
Well, Heinz has refused to incorporate my idea into their advertising, but:

SPOILER:
Hunts is for c*nts
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 AM

The fries are good but you have to eat them pretty much IMMEDIATELY. Even 5 minutes of sitting can turn them from crispy potato goodness into limp, mushy nothing. If you've only had McDonalds fries after they've been sitting, then no wonder you don't like them. You have to eat them as soon as they're served.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
But only under very specific conditions (as with all fries).
Oh, hardly. There are lots of fries out there that are still worth eating half an hour later. Mickey D's fries, as the OP correctly says, are not among them.

Mickey D's fries are the hothouse flower of French fries.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
The fries are good but you have to eat them pretty much IMMEDIATELY. Even 5 minutes of sitting can turn them from crispy potato goodness into limp, mushy nothing. If you've only had McDonalds fries after they've been sitting, then no wonder you don't like them. You have to eat them as soon as they're served.
If you read my OP carefully, my friend, you'll see I have not "only had McDonald's fries after they've been sitting."
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I would eat them if I were starving, but not on the first foodless day. Maybe not the second.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM

There have been several attempts to document how long McDonalds fries remain edible/good. Here is one such attempt.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
There have been several attempts to document how long McDonalds fries remain edible/good. Here is one such attempt.
Well, it looks like my opinion is supported by science:

Quote:
McDonald’s french fries become notably less appealing at around the 10-minute mark, and are a big old nope by minute 18.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
If you read my OP carefully, my friend, you'll see I have not "only had McDonald's fries after they've been sitting."
Ahh, but "hot" isn't necessarily "hasn't been sitting". How immediately have you eaten them? I find that the taste drops off incredibly quickly.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Fast food shoestrings are their own category and McDonald's makes the best fries in that category. Maybe where you are they do it differently but round here they are better than the greasy flavorless soggy lot you get everywhere else.

There's no poll for the Big Mac but it is an atrocity. Two miniscule burger patties hidden inside a useless pile of condiments and soggy bread.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The OP is totally wrong. McD's fries aren't the best, but they are superior. The Big Mac is exactly what it is, and fills a needed niche in the fast food pantheon. Comparing it to even the Quarter Pounder is an apples/oranges thing.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ahh, but "hot" isn't necessarily "hasn't been sitting". How immediately have you eaten them? I find that the taste drops off incredibly quickly.
Sounds like if you order a Big Mac and fries, you'd better eat the fries first. That's a weird necessity for something that is basically a side dish.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM

That AV club article matches my experience. I think the taste drop off might even start at minute 3.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

McDonalds' fries may be worthless, but I happen to like the Big Mac, as long as they don't skimp on the special sauce.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have eaten them in every conceivable condition -- including, right out of the fryer, finding them in the car a day later, and from the refrigerator a week later. I have more than enough experience with McDonald's and fast food generally to form a solid basis for my opinions. Trust me.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 AM

I like the McDonald's french fries; they are definitely worlds better than Burger King's. Since those are the only two fast food burger places in my town I almost always go to McDonald's first.

That being said Wendy's fries are better both and Five Guys fries are probably the best of all(at least of the places I've been too).

Also I think McDonald's Quarter Pounders taste worse ever since they switched over to "fresh" beef.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
McDonalds' fries may be worthless, but I happen to like the Big Mac, as long as they don't skimp on the special sauce.
They've steadily added more special sauce to the Big Mac over the years as every other ingredient became more expensive. Used to be a lot more lettuce but even that costs more now-a-days.

But I do eat them. If I just need a quick dinner for some reason like being on the road then I may pick up a Big Mac sometimes. I go to McDonald's because they have the most consistency in what you get of all the fast food places. Well, consistently not making me want to puke as some other places do.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Their fries are the best, nothing inexplicable about it, even without the beef tallow. I mostly go to Mc'D's for breakfast but I've been known to have an all french fry lunch on occasion.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have eaten them in every conceivable condition -- including, right out of the fryer, finding them in the car a day later, and from the refrigerator a week later. I have more than enough experience with McDonald's and fast food generally to form a solid basis for my opinions. Trust me.
Then your opinion (at least for the first few minutes) is objectively wrong.

Maybe try Wendy's?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 PM

Big Macs are an abomination. Thousand Island dressing on a burger? No thanks. The fries are fine, and can even be just what the doctor ordered- as long as they're hot. As they cool and get floppy and crappy it's kind of astounding how quickly they turn to garbage.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Would you eat them in a box? Would you eat them with a fox?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Big Macs are an abomination. Thousand Island dressing on a burger? No thanks.
You're making the mistake of thinking of the Big Mac as a burger. It's not: it's its own thing. You either like that thing or you don't.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Their fries are the best, nothing inexplicable about it, even without the beef tallow. I mostly go to Mc'D's for breakfast but I've been known to have an all french fry lunch on occasion.

My biggest guilty pleasure is a large order of fries (made to order) and a chocolate shake to dip them in.

Drinking the shake is just an afterthought.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:29 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I like my fries crunchy and not overly soft and potatoey. McD fits the bill.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:38 PM

the only fast food joint that has fries as consistently decent as McD's is Del Taco, and that's not nationwide as far as I know.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

McD’s fries are, for me, undeniably the best for skinless fries. I slightly prefer skin-on fries a la Five Guys, but McD’s are perfection. Let that way since I’ve first had them and knew no better, and still feel that way now that I’m older and wiser. Back as a freshman in college, before I was a foodie dork, I remember extolling the virtues of a McD’s fry, saying the true test of a fry is whether it needs a condiment, and their fries do not,

That said, Bug Mac is inferior to quarter pounder with cheese. Hell, I think it’s inferior to a McDouble. That middle bun is pointless.

ETA: and I’m also a Hunt’s guy when it comes to ketchup.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-13-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
the only fast food joint that has fries as consistently decent as McD's is Del Taco, and that's not nationwide as far as I know.
Del Taco had the best fries. But there aren't any up here.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Have. I had some for breakfast this morning, in fact.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I regret not trying Del Tacos burgers and fries when they were out here briefly in the Chicago area about a decade ago. I went there for the fish tacos, having no idea they were also good for burgers and fries. I mean, they’re called Del Taco, why would I expect good hamburgers and fries there?

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-13-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
But, come on, can we be real? McDonald's fries are pretty much the worst fries you can get anywhere. They're not even potatoes. They're tiny, flavorless, textureless, extruded strings made from some kind of potato-like meal.

They're moderately edible when you get them hot (they smell nice), but as soon as they cool, which is within about 10 minutes or so, they have the flavor and texture of wet corrugated cardboard.

Annnnyyyone's fries are better than McDonald's. Anything made from an actual potato that is sliced and cooked is better than McDonald's fries.
I disagree. I'm not saying McDonald's fries are great -- I'm just sying they're not what you say they are. I've had "fries" made from reconstituted potato meal. "Frispos" they were called, and they have a wholly different look and texture from McDonald's fries.

You might not like them, but McDonald's fries really are pieces of actual fried potato.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Have. I had some for breakfast this morning, in fact.
'Had', for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I regret not trying Del Tacos burgers and fries when they were out here briefly in the Chicago area about a decade ago. I went there for the fish tacos, having no idea they were also good for burgers and fries. I mean, they’re called Del Taco, why would I expect good hamburgers and fries there?
Their burgers were very tasty when I lived in L.A. They also had a Macho Beef Burrito. Last time I checked their menu online, I didn't see it. This is a pound of their seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese (?), and sour cream wrapped up in a large flour tortilla. Loved those.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

They're OK, but not the best. Wendy's is better, with Burger King the worst.* But Five Guys is way ahead.

*New slogan "At least they don't taste like detergent any more."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Uh....has no one had Arby's seasoned curly fires? Those are a trash fire in pants. There is much I like about Arby's but the fries are so awful I won't even go there any more.

AND, in spite of it's OMG!11! reputation, In-n-Out's fresh cut fries are dull cardboard, even when straight from the fryer.

McD fries aren't the best, but they are better than those two.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 PM

They're no curly fries to take the best spot and I've gotten too many fast food bags of potato glop for McD's to even rate in the bottom tier. Somewhere in the upper levels.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Uh....has no one had Arby's seasoned curly fires? Those are a trash fire in pants.
I'd say mean things to you but I suppose this really means more curly fries for me.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Uh....has no one had Arby's seasoned curly fires? Those are a trash fire in pants. There is much I like about Arby's but the fries are so awful I won't even go there any more.
I hate those fries, as well, but I can see why people like them.

Quote:
AND, in spite of it's OMG!11! reputation, In-n-Out's fresh cut fries are dull cardboard, even when straight from the fryer.
I hate those fries as well, but I can't see why people like them. (Then again, I love their burgers, and for plenty of people, those are meh, too. But seriously, what is to like about their fries? In theory, they should be fantastic. Freshly cut, freshly fried. Yet, insipid. Even well done or animal style, nope.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-13-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I hate In-N-Out's fries. They're limp and greasy. Give me Fatburger's Fat Fries any day.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Chick-Fil-A's waffle cut fries seem to always make lists of "best food items at fast food restaurants," but I just don't quite get that one, either. I mean, they're fine and all, but I can't quite see what makes them so orgasmic that I always seem to find them on those types of lists. Surely, the chicken sandwich itself should be on the list (but that's an argument for another thread--like In N Out, it seems to be polarizing), but the fries?