Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 PM

Mass shooting in at least one mosque, Christchurch NZ

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/austr...-after-serious

Pretty much what the title says. White supremacist used what looked like an AR-15 with what looks like an Eotech sight and at least one 60 round magazine, to shoot up a bunch of people in a mosque in Christchurch. Local hospitals are claiming 30 or more patients, unconfirmed reports of a shooting at a second mosque. Shitbag supposedly livestreamed the shooting at 8chan. Naturally there's a manifesto. Im not linking to them. Every piece of right-wing stereotypical hate you can think of, this guy seemed to buy into. His rifle was covered with white marker referencing Charles Martel, 14 Words, you name in.

Still on the run, AFAIK. Lots of selfies during his rampage.

Hopefully the authorities catch up to him, kill him, and that his demise is painful. Especially before he can hurt anyone else. I also hope we can figure out if he had help, and bring to justice those that helped him with knowledge he was likely to do this

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 03-14-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Also, FWIW, a Bangladeshi cricket team, maybe even 'the' Bangladeshi National Cricket Team, was about to head to that mosque for prayers, and thankfully heard the commotion before getting involved in the murders.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 PM

CNN is reporting live about it right now.

There was a school shooting in Brazil yesterday, with 8 fatalities.

This is just wrong, no matter where it happens or why.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 PM

At the beginning of the video he says "subscribe to PewDiePie"
Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 PM

Mass shooting in Christchurch, NZ Mosque

Fairly early on, so reporting is as yet incomplete.

Two gunmen opened fire in a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.

The gunmen opened fire during Friday prayers, in a packed room.
One of the gunmen live-streamed the attack, and it appears that the attack was a deliberate terrorist attack. One gunmen has published a 37 page manifesto, to that effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stedman
His manifesto is rife with anti-Muslim sentiments. He is a white supremacist and mentions white birthrates.]His manifesto is rife with anti-Muslim sentiments. He is a white supremacist and mentions white birthrates.
From here.
Thus far, it's only certain that many are injured, and there are expected to be some deaths.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 PM

Huh. Gray Ghost has posted about this. It's okay to close or merge this thread, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 PM

PM due to address the nation any minute now. This is kind of surreal to be honest. Hopefully the AOS gets the shooter soon.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Here's the NZ Herald coverage.
As it happens, my sister in law is visiting Christchurch right now. We've heard from her; she's fine, and safe.

Addendum: Just saw a Facebook post by her:
Quote:
Just heard a police statement read on air, which included a request that people do not visit mosques across NZ until further notice. ����
This statement above all breaks my heart.

Last edited by galen ubal; 03-14-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 PM

I am so sorry. It's hard to imagine such a horrible thing happening in Christchurch, a lovely, peaceful city as I remember it.

The world is in crazy mode for now. I am sick to think of the hand my own country has had in fanning these irrational flames of hatred.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 PM

wow... has this ever happened in NZ before? ive always thought ti was a rather peaceful place ......is the SOB even native?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
wow... has this ever happened in NZ before?
There have been incidents before, but never based on ideologies. It's rare in most western countries, outside of America, and are usually random isolated incidents. But the world has changed in the last fifteen years.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
wow... has this ever happened in NZ before? ive always thought ti was a rather peaceful place ......is the SOB even native?
At least one of the gunmen is described as Australian.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Huh. Gray Ghost has posted about this. It's okay to close or merge this thread, as far as I'm concerned.
Merged two threads.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
At the beginning of the video he says "subscribe to PewDiePie"
I think this is becoming the "bababooey" of the current generation. As much as PewDiePie sucks, I'm going to guess that he's not promoting anything like mosque terrorism or defacing WWII memorials.

(I'm not accusing Garak of suggesting that PewDiePie is complicit. Just putting my opinion of the situation out there)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Merged two threads.
Thanks.

Another Facebook post by sis-in-law:
Quote:
Statement from Police Commissioner, in Wellington.
4 in custody, 3 male, 1 female.
No confirmation on intent behind the attack.
People In custody were apprehended by local police.
No presumption that this is over.
A number of IEDs on multiple vehicles, defused now by defence force.
No assumption this is limited to Chch, though this how it appears at present.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 PM

15 minute report from a CBS News station in New Zealand. More than 1 mosque. I think I heard 27 dead at one of the mosques.

ETA: AP story here.

EATA: New banner at the AP home site:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS
New Zealand police say 3 men and 1 woman in custody over shootings at 2 mosques in Christchurch
No link or story yet tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

If you want a rolling update of news directly in New Zealand: Stuff.co.nz
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

This early on in custody can mean a lot of things. Way to early to tell If itís the perpetrator/perpetrators or people who were acting suspicious that they need to question further. Hopefully we will know soon.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

My family spent a multi-week vacation in New Zealand (and Australia) when I was a boy. It was a long time ago, but I remember the whole country as being very lovely, including Christchurch in particular. I also remember it as a very peaceful country; I still remember we all marveled at a front-page story in the newspaper, that a police officer had been slightly wounded by someone with a knife, in a completely different part of the country.

Shocking that such a thing as this could happen there. So much hatred seems to be spewing up from the depths all over the world.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Also, FWIW, a Bangladeshi cricket team, maybe even 'the' Bangladeshi National Cricket Team, was about to head to that mosque for prayers, and thankfully heard the commotion before getting involved in the murders.
It was the national team, who were due to play a Test starting tomorrow, which has now been cancelled. Never thought I'd see a Test match cancelled due to a terrorist attack here in New Zealand.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:46 AM

From sister in law again:
Quote:
From a news report in Chch:
One of the perpetrators had been posting his intentions on Twitter since Wed, including pictures of the weapons and clothes he would use/wear.
He chose NZ to prove that youíre not safe anywhere. 💔💔
No one ordered the attack, he chose to do it.
He streamed the attack on FB. (Please donít go searching for it. Donít give him the satisfaction.)
He released a 37 page manifesto.
He was Australian. 😢💔💔💔
Old 03-15-2019, 12:53 AM

This sounds like plain old terrorism.

He was right; nobody is safe.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

And what's the bet that Brenton Tarrant and his gang of terrorists will never be described as such by ou local media outlets. A single Muslim with mental health issues going on a rampage would have been immediately condemned as a significant operative of Islamic State. This horrific event will be spun as something else by the commercial media.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
It was the national team, who were due to play a Test starting tomorrow, which has now been cancelled. Never thought I'd see a Test match cancelled due to a terrorist attack here in New Zealand.
Thereís your problem. Never think ďcanít happenĒ since it WILL.
Stay safe.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Latest update is 40 dead and 20 injured. Four were taken into custody but only 3 arrested.

So sad.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:49 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
And what's the bet that Brenton Tarrant and his gang of terrorists will never be described as such by ou local media outlets. A single Muslim with mental health issues going on a rampage would have been immediately condemned as a significant operative of Islamic State. This horrific event will be spun as something else by the commercial media.
Moderating:

I understand your frustration and anger but please reserve this thread for factual updates. There is already a Pit thread available.

Thank you
Old 03-15-2019, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Moderating:

I understand your frustration and anger but please reserve this thread for factual updates. There is already a Pit thread available.

Thank you
Ahh, apologies. I'm posting from overseas on a stupid tablet and didn't think to look in The Pit for stuff about this already.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "spun as something else", but I don't believe for an instant that it will be downplayed or that the media will try to find him excuses.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:25 AM

Prime Minister Ardern has called this a terrorist attack already.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Jacinda Ardern immediately called it it a "terrorist attack", and all the media I've seen seem to be following suit, including Australian media and politicians.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:31 AM

A good account from someone who was driving past as it happened and stopped to help.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213111
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

The BBC seems to be backing down a bit from saying there were multiple shooters. There was a map of where the two locations were but I didnít get a good feel for the scale. Are they close enough together that one person couldíve attacked both places?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:22 AM

never mind, will re-post if I find additional confirmation

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 03-15-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:23 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

All the reports I’ve seen have detailed what happened at the al Noor mosque. Reports are a lot less clear about the Linwood location.

Last edited by Loach; 03-15-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Not sure if the BBC Is more or less accurate than more locally based sources. Right now itís saying four are in custody, one man in his late 20s is being charged with murder. Of course that doesnít mean that one or more of the others canít be charged as well as this moves forward.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:35 AM

This Twitter video appears to show two long-gun-armed individuals (neither of which appear to be dressed like the "main" shooter): https://twitter.com/levimacd/status/1106383627577749504

seems like it's a real possibility that there were multiple shooters:

Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 AM

...just numb right now . Aroha, my love and thoughts to the Muslim community. Kia kaha, we stand with you.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:23 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
This Twitter video appears to show two long-gun-armed individuals (neither of which appear to be dressed like the "main" shooter): https://twitter.com/levimacd/status/1106383627577749504

seems like it's a real possibility that there were multiple shooters:
I don’t know if I’m going to believe an account with two tweets. No point of reference. No proof where or when this was taken. Even if it was in New Zealand that could’ve been out of uniform cops responding to the scene.

And that breaking news tweet was from many hours ago.

Last edited by Loach; 03-15-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I donít know if Iím going to believe an account with two tweets. No point of reference. No proof where or when this was taken. Even if it was in New Zealand that couldíve been out of uniform cops responding to the scene.

And that breaking news tweet was from many hours ago.
Agreed that it's still somewhat speculative (which is why I only called it a "possibility"). Pretty much every mass shooting in memory has had initial reports of multiple shooters and they almost always turn out to be incorrect. It would not shock me if this one followed that familiar pattern.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

The BBC are reporting 49 dead.

Quote:
Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described one alleged gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an "extremist, right-wing" terrorist.

A man in his late twenties was charged with murder and will appear in court on Saturday morning, police confirmed.

Two other men and one woman were detained nearby and firearms seized, Police Commissioner Mike Bush said.

He said police had determined that one of the people detained was not involved in the incident, and officers were working to understand if the other two were connected.
It's possible that the latter group were going to engage the shooter, but that's speculation.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 AM

WSJ quotes PM saying "it's clear this is terrorism" and also says there are more people involved than those who were arrested.

Shootings at New Zealand Mosques Leave 49 People Dead https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-zea...ch-11552618459
Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Latest CNN (some repeated): What we know about the attack: At least 49 people have been killed, and 20 seriously injured, after mass shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

What's known about the suspects: New Zealand police say they have arrested three men and one woman. One man has already been charged with murder. An account believed to belong to one of the attackers featured a link to an 87-page manifesto filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas.

How the country is responding: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has described the attack as an "unprecedented act of violence" and called it "one of New Zealand's darkest days." Meanwhile, police have mobilized every national police resource to respond to the attack.

(my bold)

Last edited by Locrian; 03-15-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 AM

We are hurting right now. This is not who we are. This is not who we want to be.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 AM

You're not, you've been visited by alt-right vermin.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

My brother and his family live in that area. I heard the first news reports, and it took me two hours to reach him. Those were two of the longest hours in my life. Fortunately, everybody is fine.

Total so-called human depravity. How low can it sink?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Hopefully the authorities catch up to him, kill him, and that his demise is painful. Especially before he can hurt anyone else. I also hope we can figure out if he had help, and bring to justice those that helped him with knowledge he was likely to do this
Nope.

These scum need to be taken alive and not permitted the refuge of death. They need to be put on trial, then locked away for the rest of their lives rather than be martyred for the cause. Subsequent terrorists need to know their fate will not be going out in a blaze of glory but rather to sit and rot in a cell, forgotten, until they die a natural death.

We are better than them, we should act better by not engaging in killing other human beings.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
We are hurting right now. This is not who we are. This is not who we want to be.
Correct.

That is not who you are, that is why you were targeted.

I'm sorry to wake up to this news, no one deserves this sort of thing.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
These scum need to be taken alive and not permitted the refuge of death. They need to be put on trial, then locked away for the rest of their lives rather than be martyred for the cause. Subsequent terrorists need to know their fate will not be going out in a blaze of glory but rather to sit and rot in a cell, forgotten, until they die a natural death.
Agreed.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM

According to the report on CBC this morning, one of the places the shooter got the idea from was the shootup of the Quebec City mosque just over a year ago. These things are contagious.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Two gunmen opened fire in a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.
While there are always reports of multiple shooters, there is hardly ever a second gunman. Off the top of my head I can think of the Boston bombing (which didn't involve any gunmen until much after the fact) and the 2015 Paris attacks.

In almost every case witnesses are seeing police officers at the scene and believe they're gunmen.

This appears to be yet another case of a 20-something misanthrope who doesn't understand math* falling down the rabbit hole of 4chan/8chan/Gab/hate sites.

*It's a common trope among racist shooters to believe that whites are on the verge of elimination in western countries due to immigration.