Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 AM

If I ran the grocery store!

What changes would you make to your local grocery store if you could?

This came to my mind last night when I stopped off to get my wife her preferred sparkling water. I stopped at an unfamiliar Jewel grocery, and figured it would be either with the soft drinks, or near the alcohol (with mixers like tonic/club soda). No - it was somewhere completely different, in a "sparkling water" aisle.

So I was going to simply ask, which products would you shelve differently - such as peanut butter and jelly being together and in the same aisle as bread. But I figured I would open it to any supermarket tweaks or rants you might have.

Here's another of mine - when they remodeled our local Jewel, they removed the self serv aisles. Don't know why - my only guess is that it had something to do with theft. But it is ALWAYS a pain in the ass to get thru the check-out lines in this particular store. I can only imagine self serve lines would help somewhat. (I tend to think it should NEVER be a hassle to give a store your money and get out of there with your purchases.)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Never rearrange the store. My local Giant Eagle keeps things the same long enough for me to know where everything is, then they shuffle the deck.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Much more American food. And Japanese food. And Mexican food. Less Taiwanese food, we could always go somewhere else.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 AM

This question raises an internal conflict with me. Our most used store has twice in recent years radically re-arranged the location of things. This causes a ton of problems for us and takes a long time to adjust to.

So the first rule of re-arranging a store is to not re-arrange the store!

But if one is starting ab novo, then I have some ideas.

First, all the products of a given type are in one location. It is maddening to find grains and flours kept in 4 or more different spots due to being "normal", organic, bulk, "sort of like, but not really, breakfast foods", etc.

Canned goods should go on one aisle. Not some on one aisle, some on another, etc. I have no idea why our store has the chili in a different place from the soups.

Another oddity at our store: napkins are nowhere near the other paper goods. Somehow tissue near the paper towels makes sense but napkins near the paper towels is some sort of crazy, far-out idea.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 AM

If I ran my local grocery store I would stock Tapatio hot sauce. They used to carry it, and now they don't anymore. Although I don't mind vinegar based hot sauces, my favorites do not use vinegar. (El Yucateco, Tapatio) Why can't I have my hot sauce, Store Person?

Last edited by bobot; 03-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Never rearrange the store. My local Giant Eagle keeps things the same long enough for me to know where everything is, then they shuffle the deck.
There's a simple reason for this: When a customer learns where things are, they go right to them. Most people buy the same things every time, and don't go into aisles where things they don't buy are located.

Every time the store "shuffles the deck" people go into other aisles and do more impulse buying.

The store I work at has a policy: Get people into the aisle. If a customer asks you where something is, don't say "We don't have it." Say "If we have it, it would be in aisle 4." The customer goes into aisle 4, doesn't see the item, but sees other items they buy impulsively.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 AM

Store-made kimchi everywhere. Food counter serving cheap meals. Rotisserie chicken around the clock. Better selection of imported German beers.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The store I work at has a policy: Get people into the aisle. If a customer asks you where something is, don't say "We don't have it." Say "If we have it, it would be in aisle 4." The customer goes into aisle 4, doesn't see the item, but sees other items they buy impulsively.
I hate your store's policy and if you tried it on me, I'd do my utmost to never come back.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Okay. I know from experience if you tell a customer "We don't carry that item," some will go around asking other workers the same question. Asking two or three people for the same item does not make it magically appear.

I hate those people.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 03-15-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 AM

Simple - more cashiers.

I don't believe I have ever, EVER seen every cashier station up and running at any grocery store, no matter how long the lines.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

That one I agree with. More self-service check outs would be nice too.

I'm a first cashier at the store, meaning that if there's only one station open, it's mine. The three situations I have to get another line open are: three or more people on the line, a person with a full cart, and if anyone says "Can you open another register?"
Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I hate your store's policy and if you tried it on me, I'd do my utmost to never come back.
Pretty much every grocery store has a policy like that.

Quote:
Okay. I know from experience if you tell a customer "We don't carry that item," some will go around asking other workers the same question. Asking two or three people for the same item does not make it magically appear.

I hate those people.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Here's another of mine - when they remodeled our local Jewel, they removed the self serv aisles. Don't know why - my only guess is that it had something to do with theft. But it is ALWAYS a pain in the ass to get thru the check-out lines in this particular store. I can only imagine self serve lines would help somewhat. (I tend to think it should NEVER be a hassle to give a store your money and get out of there with your purchases.)
It might be because the new technology is for you to download an app on your smartphone so you can scan and bag your stuff as you shop, then at checkout the register gets the information from your smartphone, you pay, and you go.

Which does save time at the register. When it works. You are aware of the time you spend scanning and bagging as you go unless you're really paying attention (I recently tried this at the store where I work).

And yes, we're going to have theft problems with it. That's the first thing EVERYONE brings up with this. I'm sure the actual thieves have thought of it, too. Doesn't matter, the Powers That Be have decreed it is the Next Big Thing so it will be done. Fewer employees, more automation... hey why is no one buying our stuff? It's because the humans don't have jobs anymore and therefore have no money with which to buy stuff...
Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Simple - more cashiers.

I don't believe I have ever, EVER seen every cashier station up and running at any grocery store, no matter how long the lines.
At my store we have done that - the two weeks before Christmas, maybe the day before-Thanksgiving-Black Friday, and sometimes when the TV had predicted a weather apocalypse, at which point everyone has to run out and buy all the bread and milk in the store, even if they do not normally consume bread or milk.

It's pretty rare, though.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

There are three Stater Brothers stores in my town. Each of them has a different layout. Stop that! Just keep the sodas in the aisle next to the condiments and we'll get along fine.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Simple - more cashiers.

Yes, this is the best suggestion. I am not British and hate queuing.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM

One of the grocery stores I frequent has frozen items at the beginning of the store. That makes no sense to me. If I pick up ice cream moving in a logical way through the store, it would be melted by the time I finished shopping. So I have to bypass the front section of the store and try to remember to go back and get the frozen items before I check out.

I was making a large batch of tacos for a get-together. I wanted the large container of taco seasoning, not the small envelopes. I searched high and low in the Hispanic section where all of the other taco ingredients were. I finally had to ask. The large container of taco seasoning was in the aisle that had other bulk size items - like giant cans of tomato sauce for restaurants.

I roamed up and down the aisle that had breakfast cereal and pancake mixes 5 times looking for Bisquick. Where else could it be? It was in the baking aisle.

Canned crushed tomatoes should be with the tomato sauces and pastes. Nope, they're in the aisle with the canned vegetables
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM

I'd add a "cash only and we mean it" register. I know this board leans hard to the card-swiper side, but it just seem like every time I get behind a card user, it goes like this:

1. Wait for every item from a $150 order is rung up and bagged.
2. Cashier says the total price.
3. Customer goes digging in purse or wallet for card.
4. Customer swipes card. Card doesn't work.
5. Customer inserts card into chip reader. Card declined.
7. Customer searches for another card.
8. Rerun steps 3-7 twice more....
Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
It might be because the new technology is for you to download an app on your smartphone so you can scan and bag your stuff as you shop, then at checkout the register gets the information from your smartphone, you pay, and you go.
Possible, but I've never noticed a hint of that - either through posted signs or checkout behavior.

Jewel is one of the major brands of supermarket in our area. Our closest Jewel is an easy walk of a couple blocks from our home. Which is REALLY convenient. Only drawback is that it is pretty much hands down the crappiest Jewel - or other supermarket - we've been to. Surly, incompetent, insufficient cashiers/baggers, expired foodstuff on shelves, stocker/vendors clogging the aisles ... We often consider shopping elsewhere - but it's so damned convenient!

Quote:
If I ran my local grocery store I would stock Tapatio hot sauce. They used to carry it, and now they don't anymore.
Sounds like an example of what I have long accepted as a truism - beware becoming overly attached to any specific brand or product, because if you do, it is a good bet your store will stop carrying it!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Ah, yes, the "credit card shuffle." And the cashier is standing there, doing nothing, while three people wait on line. And when you tell the customer their card was rejected they say "Are you sure? That can't be. Try again."

I actually had this conversation with a customer the other day:

Me: I'm sorry. We don't take American Express.
Customer: Are you sure?

I've worked here for over five years. I think I know what credit cards we take. And if I forget, there's a sign on my register.

I sometimes do the "last cash" line at closing, meaning I only take cash payments. And I mean it. "CASH ONLY. NO CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS."
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Possible, but I've never noticed a hint of that - either through posted signs or checkout behavior.
Like I said - it's new.

My store just started using it last Wednesday. That's what I mean by new. I have no idea if Jewel is planning to adopt that technology or not.
Charter Member

Enforce the damn 10 item line and bring back HP Curry sauce.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
I'd add a "cash only and we mean it" register. I know this board leans hard to the card-swiper side, but it just seem like every time I get behind a card user, it goes like this:

1. Wait for every item from a $150 order is rung up and bagged.
2. Cashier says the total price.
3. Customer goes digging in purse or wallet for card.
The same applies to cash customers. It's rare to see someone have their wallet out before they are told the price for the entire order.

And then they decide they need to find the exact change from their change purse.

OTOH, most supermarkets have you insert your card before they finish.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM

From 4:45 to 5:45 Monday thru Friday you get a mad rush of people on their way home from work buying an armful of items for dinner.
So that would probably be a good time to have all 4 of your express lines staffed instead of just one with the line stretching down a food aisle.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Okay. I know from experience if you tell a customer "We don't carry that item," some will go around asking other workers the same question.
That does suck and I try very hard not to be that customer. But when I am looking for something, it is because I want that thing. If the store doesn't have it, I want to know so that I can stop wasting time and try another store.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The same applies to cash customers. It's rare to see someone have their wallet out before they are told the price for the entire order.

And then they decide they need to find the exact change from their change purse.

The "exact change" people drive me bonkers. It's $15.47, you give me a twenty and I have to wait for you to count out 47 cents?

Too many people don't have their wallet out when you tell them the amount. They have to find it, then find their stack of 29 credit cards, then do the shuffle to find the card they want to use.

I would definitely ban the use of any hand held device at the register. If the cashiers cannot use them, why the customers? You're trying to keep the line moving and they are ignoring you in favor of gabbing on the phone. Or you're saying "Next on line," and they are too busy texting to hear you.

I cannot say anything about that work, but I've really gotten some people angry when I'm on a store line and I say "They think we should wait while they conclude their gabbing. Their device is more important than real life."

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 03-15-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
There are three Stater Brothers stores in my town. Each of them has a different layout. Stop that! Just keep the sodas in the aisle next to the condiments and we'll get along fine.
Yeah - I have wondered what marketing genius decided that the folk who sho at the Jewel on the north side of my town, prefer a completely different arrangement than 2-3 miles further south along the same road.

Here's my suggestion - put drugs and alcohol on one end or the other. Heck, put one on each end. But don't put them smack dab in the middle of the grocery aisles.

Quote:
I've worked here for over five years. I think I know what credit cards we take. And if I forget, there's a sign on my register.
Not exactly the same, but our store allows you to charge groceries and get cashback over the purchase price. The maximum amount amount changed a couple of times recently. On repeated trips it did not appear that a single cashier had any idea what the max allowed was, or that the amount had changed. They would often give us information that directly contradicted the sign at the checkout line - which was also wrong. Store management was clueless as well. We made several calls to corporate to figure out what was happening, and after a couple of months it seemed to settle out.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM

No checks allowed would be the mantra in my grocery store. Join the freaking 21st century. Also when I say 10 items or less I do not mean 11 or 12 or 20.
-IQ
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty much every grocery store has a policy like that.
Not Publix. If you ask a store employee for something, they'll walk you right to it.
I actually have a great love for Publix and can't think of much to complain about, except: They have an online ordering feature for their deli, and about half the time, I arrive to pick up my meat and find it's not ready because nobody ever got the slip off the printer. And that's probably because the printer isn't in the deli area, but over in the ready-made food section. If that were my department, I'd have somebody checking that printer like their job depended on it.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I would like grocery stores to come up with phone apps that help you with your grocery list.

When you make an entry to the list, the app tells you what isle it's on.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

It's worth noting that grocery stores intentionally put items typically bought together at opposite ends of the grocery store as it tends to drive up impulse buys.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I would get rid of the ethnic aisle: this is the 2010s, we're pretty worldly in our eats nowadays. A lot of the time it's hard to remember when something is in its logical place next to the other sauces or sodas or is in the ethnic aisle. Although I guess if it is something that doesn't have an exact equivalent elsewhere in the store then I guess it can stay, but the only thing I can think of right now is tortillas, and if all the other "ethnic" foods are moved, it can then move in next to the breads.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I would like grocery stores to come up with phone apps that help you with your grocery list.

When you make an entry to the list, the app tells you what isle it's on.
You in the UK, then?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM

More cashiers and other ways to check out would be my preference. My policy would be that since a person is going to check out anyway, there is no need on the customer's part to wait on line, the store just failed to manage this customer's time correctly - we know he/she is going to check out, we just have to meet them when they are ready, and not have them wait till we are ready.

The other one I would like is a isle of speciality rotating items, things that are unique and good buys but one knows they will only be there a short time.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's worth noting that grocery stores intentionally put items typically bought together at opposite ends of the grocery store as it tends to drive up impulse buys.
I have 30+ years in the grocery business and have never known this to be so. Just the opposite. If you want to sell a companion for product X, you put it close product X or else people walk out without the companion product.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Sure, you can insert your card before the cashier finishes ringing you up...

... but what you're not told is that the idjits who programmed the machines at our stores (and many others) assumed that once that payment card goes in you're DONE. It wants to end the transaction RIGHT THERE. That interrupts the ringing-up process while the machine dithers in confusion (although it's brief enough you, the customer, might not notice), can make it difficult or impossible for me to correct any scan errors for items or coupons, and may even end your transaction even as I am trying to ring up the next item (that happens about once or twice a month - VERY annoying). Oh, and last Christmas there was the software glitch where the software the store used to run it's digital coupons/incentives would interact with gift card activation to lock up the entire system, that was fun...

Yes, most of the time you can stick your card in and you'll be fine. Once in awhile, though, all hell will break loose. If you want to be sure you minimize the chances of things going awry you'll wait until the cashier gets all your items rung up, all your coupons in, and has fixed any problems before sticking the payment card in.

Now you know. Your choice.

My record was one guy who wound up with five receipts for a mere twelve items. This was a few years ago, some of the software problems are fixed now, but basically every time he stuck his bank card in the machine BOOM! end of transaction and a receipt spewing out of the slot. And, of course, this had to be my fault. I told him to wait to insert the card. By the third time around his daughter, who was with him, was telling him to wait. But no......! The machine was telling him "insert card" so he'd insert the card, why listen to human beings, especially why listen to the human being running the damn machine 40 hours a week? What could I possibly know? And the transaction would end. Rinse and repeat.

I guess MY wishes would be

1) Only people who have actually grocery shopped for a family permitted to program these machines

2) Anyone programming a register will be required to work 40 hours on the machine during rush times like Saturday afternoon, preferably the Saturday before Christmas, so they can grasp how customers ACTUALLY use (and abuse) the machines.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You in the UK, then?

And my tweak to spell check would be to check for context.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Not Publix. If you ask a store employee for something, they'll walk you right to it.
That's not what Annie and I were talking about. We weren't talking about directing to items we have, it's items we DON'T have and DON'T carry. The store policy is not to admit the store doesn't carry something, it's to direct people to some other aisle in hopes that when they can't find what they want (because the store doesn't carry it) they'll buy something else instead.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:33 AM

If I ran my local supermarket I would:

1) Stop advertising specials as 3 (or 5) of an item for a special low price each, when buyers can get just 1 of the item for that same price, and

2) I'd stop sneaking an organic produce item into the general produce display in order to trick customers into buying the higher-priced organic stuff.

3) I'd be fired as manager for losing out on store income.

4)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
I have 30+ years in the grocery business and have never known this to be so. Just the opposite. If you want to sell a companion for product X, you put it close product X or else people walk out without the companion product.
Well, this is coming from a piece I saw on 20/20 (one of those news show) with a marketing director for a big chain grocery store.

Just thinking off the top of my head at my local grocery store:

Cereal, milk
Bread, deli meats
Velveeta, Rotel...

All at opposite ends.

Last edited by Grrr!; 03-15-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's a simple reason for this: When a customer learns where things are, they go right to them. Most people buy the same things every time, and don't go into aisles where things they don't buy are located.

Every time the store "shuffles the deck" people go into other aisles and do more impulse buying.

Again not my experience. If a customer asks me where Product X is located, we are trained to stop whatever we are doing and take the customer to Product X.

Every year 10% of the products are new in a grocery store. That means 10% of the products also leave as the store itself is not getting any bigger. Meanwhile, tastes change. Everyone hates the major product shifts, but it needs to be done every five years or so to adjust to these changes in products and consumer tastes. That stores move products so that customers have to search to find them and thereby see things they may have not seen before is a myth.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Wow, your grocery stores must suck. None of these problems exist at my local Raley's. Always working self check, the express aisle is always the second aisle open, if there's a line, they open another register and the lines move quickly.

I try to be a good customer in return. I have my payment ready and I can blow through a self check like a boss.

If there's anything I'd want changed, it's to be able to pay for alcohol at the self check, but that's a state law and out of the store's purview.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, this is coming from a piece I saw on 20/20 (one of those news show) with a marketing director for a big chain grocery store.

Just thinking off the top of my head at my local grocery store:

Cereal, milk
Bread, deli meats
Velveeta, Rotel...

All at opposite ends.
Many refrigerated products are together because they are in the refrigerator. You cannot stock cereal next to milk. You cannot stock deli meats next to bread. No matter where you stock the poor Velveeta someone will think it should be somewhere else.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
I have my payment ready and I can blow through a self check like a boss.
I LOVE self-checkout. I haven't gone through a cashier line in years at a store with self-checkout. I even have memorized the numbers for bananas and other frequently purchased produce.

Yet for some reason I'm an oddity. At my Giant Eagle I regularly walk up to an open self-checkout while there are long lines at the cashiers.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Many refrigerated products are together because they are in the refrigerator. You cannot stock cereal next to milk. You cannot stock deli meats next to bread. No matter where you stock the poor Velveeta someone will think it should be somewhere else.
Sure, but there's nothing stooping you from stocking it to an adjacent aisle as opposed to the opposite end of the store.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Usually the produce is at the beginning of the store with all the fresh products, preprepared meals and bread. Dairy and frozen are at the other end (or at least at the end of the food section) to minimize the amount of time these items are out of refrigeration/freezer and sitting perishable in your cart. Most frozen and dairy are kept together because they are stocked from the same backstock cooler/freezer area and again every effort is being made that such stocking goes quickly and efficiently.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

The idea is that customers shop the loop. You enter and first find all the beautiful fresh produce, bread and prepared foods. These are the things meals are prepared around. As one weaves through the store, the the supplemental items are there with the meat generally along the back wall and then either the non-foods or the dairy frozen at the end. Sure it is less convenient if you are only shopping for milk and cereal. But if you are doing your family's weekly shopping it makes sense.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
But if you are doing your family's weekly shopping it makes sense.
Do the majority of people really do "weekly shopping"? I like to buy what I need shortly before I use it. Why buy "fresh" fish today that you cook five days later?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
If I ran my local supermarket I would:

1) Stop advertising specials as 3 (or 5) of an item for a special low price each, when buyers can get just 1 of the item for that same price, and

2) I'd stop sneaking an organic produce item into the general produce display in order to trick customers into buying the higher-priced organic stuff.

3) I'd be fired as manager for losing out on store income.

4)
1. Then you indeed would miss out. Advertise 10 for $10 and people buy 10. Run 2 for $3.00 and people will usually buy 2. This is fair marketing.

2. Organic produce sections should be clearly labeled and obvious to the customer.

3. You would not be fired as the store manager has no say in the advertised pricing and it is in everyone's best interest to maintain organic produce integrity.

4. Don't frown. While grocery store managers do make a very good salary, it means being there 50 to 60 hours a week every week, missing holidays with family, driving in during terrible weather events because you HAVE to be there. It's huge pressure to make a profit in a business with tiny profit margins and lots of ever-changing competition. If you are sick you still have to be there. Most every week you will have 10 hour shifts where you try to get out by 11pm because you have to be back at 6am the next morning for another 10 hour shift. You have 100+ employees and you have to help them and deal with their issues. They can call out sick, just not you. And if a bagger no-shows it may be YOU out pushing in carts in the rain and staying even later to file reports or handle a customer complaint.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do the majority of people really do "weekly shopping"? I like to buy what I need shortly before I use it. Why buy "fresh" fish today that you cook five days later?
We get a lot of both.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
...It might be because the new technology is for you to download an app on your smartphone so you can scan and bag your stuff as you shop, then at checkout the register gets the information from your smartphone, you pay, and you go...
The store I go to has that available. Except it's not on your smart phone, It's a scanner that you grab when you come in. Pretty much sucks. Only about half the stuff in produce will even scan. Last time I tried it, my trip took about twice as long.

They should have worked out the bugs before releasing it to the public. I'll probably never try it again.