Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2019, 02:34 AM
kleptomaniac is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1

What recreational drugs in your opinion should someone avoid taking at all costs?


Assuming we go by the premise that there are some drugs which might be okay despite government propaganda and societal stigma to use.

Almost everyone here has I assume used alcohol, lesser smoked weed, and MDMA, mushrooms (psilocybin), salvia, LSD etc...are somewhere in between. Things like opiate pinkillers (hydrocodone, oxycodone) have probably been used as well.

It seems that for people bold enough to venture into recreational drugs the "worst of the worst" online and in real life all seem to be heroin (or any kind of opiate), meth, and crack cocaine. Would you agree?
  #2  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 AM
PastTense is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,405
Fentanyl.
Quote:
It’s deadly because it’s so much stronger than heroin, as shown by the photograph above, which was taken at the New Hampshire State Police Forensic Laboratory. On the left is a lethal dose of heroin, equivalent to about 30 milligrams; on the right is a 3-milligram dose of fentanyl, enough to kill an average-sized adult male.

Fentanyl, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is up to 100 times more potent than morphine and many times that of heroin.

Drugs users generally don’t know when their heroin is laced with fentanyl, so when they inject their usual quantity of heroin, they can inadvertently take a deadly dose of the substance. In addition, while dealers try to include fentanyl to improve potency, their measuring equipment usually isn’t fine-tuned enough to ensure they stay below the levels that could cause users to overdose. Plus, the fentanyl sold on the street is almost always made in a clandestine lab; it is less pure than the pharmaceutical version and thus its effect on the body can be more unpredictable.
https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/29/...r-than-heroin/

Last edited by PastTense; 03-16-2019 at 08:45 AM.
  #3  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Any opioid. It's a potential pathway to madness and death. Doses and strength of substance escalates 90+% of the time, and then life's hell. One can get hooked through the bag real fast.

And I'm speaking not only as an MD who treats a TON of opioid addicts and has since circa 1981, but as a former opioid addict, clean since 1990.
  #4  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 39,920
The brown acid.
  #5  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Ignotus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,285
Google krokodil at your own risk...
  #6  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:08 AM
glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,326
Nicotine
  #7  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,522
Spice. Much more dangerous than regular marijuana.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #8  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Spice. Much more dangerous than regular marijuana.
He who controls the spice controls the universe.



But seriously, STAY AWAY from recreational opioid use.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 03-16-2019 at 09:22 AM.
  #9  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:33 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,278
Well, even well shy of "This might kill you" is something I learned as a kid, and passed on to my kids:

Don't get addicted to anything.

So "recreational" is fine, as long as you can put it down and Do The Shit Ya Gotta Do.
I have an addictive personality. Even the lighter stuff can mess up my life. The second that I can't stop doing weed or Red Bull or p0rn or Pokemon or cheap whisky or posting in the Pit, it scares me.

I had friends in college saying "YOU have got to try cocaine. You would LOVE it!" I said "That's the problem, innit? If you could guarantee me I'd KINDA like it a LITTLE, I might try it..."

So for me, the answer is almost everything. Certainly anything harder than one joint and another single-malt scotch.
  #10  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:55 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Fentanyl.
I was disappointed by Fentanyl. I was given some for an angiogram/angioplasty and I swear I didn't feel a thing. I asked the anesthesiologist if he gave me saline so he could take my dose home, but he swore he gave it to me.
  #11  
Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,622
Cocaine is dangerous, if you have enough money to buy cocaine regularly. An occasional special occasion binge is okay...at least it was for me when I was in my ‘20s. One of my best New Year’s Eves was an at-home evening with two couples, a half-case of Dom Perignon, and an eight-ball of “snow.”

I’ve heard absolutely awful things about morning glory seeds. Like, the trip never really goes away.
__________________
Uke
  #12  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 AM
dflower is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: carolina usa
Posts: 228
Matters little what you choose to swallow or snort. It is not worth the risk. You are not buying good s**t.
Do not assume that the ______ you bought is ______. Street drugs are not manufactured under clean conditions, inspected or purity tested. you have no reason to trust that you are getting what you expect.
  #13  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,207
There are stats about the dangers and costs of different types of drugs to the person taking them, and to larger society. For both legal and illegal drugs.

Is this graph readable? https://dynamic.decorrespondent.nl/m...0254961807.png

From worst to less bad:
Alcohol
Heroine
Crack
Meth
Tobacco
Amphetamines
Cannabis
GHB
Benzodiazepines
Ketamine
Methadone
Metphedrone
Bhutaan
Qat
Anabolic steroids
XTC
LSD
Mushrooms.

Herbal psychedelics like ayahuasca, and huasca, and iboga root, aren't even on the list. They are rarely taken recreationally, but always in a ritual setting with a careful sitter, who -if it is done right- prepares the triptakers and prevents and helps if problems arise.
And none of these herbal psychedelics are considered addictive by professionals studying drug addiction. On the contrary, they are used to combat addiction. And the therapeutic potential of such drugs is more and more researched.
Such herbal psychedelics are even produced in an responsible way. Having taken them a couple times I can understand why. Such plants and the experience they yield command respect from everyone who experiences them.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #14  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:35 AM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 6,957
This probably isn't in the spirit of the thread, but why do any? I guess I'm kind of puritanical about things like this, but I don't see the point of any of it. I enjoy life and I don't want to be anesthetized through any parts of it. My husband drinks sometimes from mostly boredom, and that isn't really any fun for either of us.

I'd probably make an exception for medical cannabis, but if I thought I needed to use it, I would look for whatever benefits I could get without getting high.

There are those substances that are supposed to enhance reality and open up your senses to new experiences and so on. Maybe. But I'm skeptical about those claims, and the possible consequences like psychological damage are too dire for me to consider doing them.
  #15  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:35 AM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,264
Heroin.
Cocaine.

Opioids. I took some for a medical procedures and they were just nasty. The constipation was nearly as bad as the pain, and I doubt withdrawal would be much worse.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #16  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 AM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
This probably isn't in the spirit of the thread, but why do any?
It's going to be difficult to answer your question without violating board rules about promoting illegal activity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I guess I'm kind of puritanical about things like this, but I don't see the point of any of it. I enjoy life and I don't want to be anesthetized through any parts of it. My husband drinks sometimes from mostly boredom, and that isn't really any fun for either of us.
You mention being anesthetized: It's true that the worst substances tend to be depressants like opioids and alcohol. Those should largely be avoided and only carefully used.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
why do any?
[...]

I'd probably make an exception for medical cannabis, but if I thought I needed to use it, I would look for whatever benefits I could get without getting high.

There are those substances that are supposed to enhance reality and open up your senses to new experiences and so on. Maybe. But I'm skeptical about those claims, and the possible consequences like psychological damage are too dire for me to consider doing them.
So, you 1) want to know what the benefits are 2) are skeptical of other people's claims 3) don't want to try it yourself.
I'm not clever enough to see a solution to that conundrum.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 03-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.
  #17  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I was disappointed by Fentanyl. I was given some for an angiogram/angioplasty and I swear I didn't feel a thing. I asked the anesthesiologist if he gave me saline so he could take my dose home, but he swore he gave it to me.
Fentanyl is subtle. I've had it a number of times for my cardiac caths. As a recovering addict I was both apprehensive and anticipatory about that. Each time there was no rush like the old days with IV demerol, morphine, dilaudid. But suddenly I would recognize the fact that it brought me to that calm, contemplative and mildly euphoric state I always desired in my life, but without the initial nirvana the other drugs gave me.

And fentanyl is super short acting, so in 10 minutes it was all gone. Which was for the best.

BTW, dilaudid is waaaay too euphoria-inducing. Heroin addicts will often choose dilaudid over heroin, as many feel it works better than heroin. I had it most recently about 10 years ago for broken ribs that hurt so much I could no longer breathe adequately, due to pain and spasm. I'd tried for 3 days to get by with tylenol, NSAIDs (even injectable toradol), rest, binding, etc. But I had to give in. Dilaudid made all the pain and the worries become completely irrelevant, as I got a great big hug from the Goddess herself, telling me I was good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, people liked me!

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 03-16-2019 at 11:53 AM.
  #18  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 PM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
BTW, dilaudid is waaaay too euphoria-inducing. Heroin addicts will often choose dilaudid over heroin, as many feel it works better than heroin. I had it most recently about 10 years ago for broken ribs that hurt so much I could no longer breathe adequately, due to pain and spasm. I'd tried for 3 days to get by with tylenol, NSAIDs (even injectable toradol), rest, binding, etc. But I had to give in. Dilaudid made all the pain and the worries become completely irrelevant, as I got a great big hug from the Goddess herself, telling me I was good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, people liked me!
I tried Dilaudid and I just found it blunting and it made me sleepy. I went to bed in the early afternoon, woke up 8 hours later feeling underwhelmed and having difficulty seeing what people like in strong opioids.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
it brought me to that calm, contemplative and mildly euphoric state I always desired in my life
I've gotten that too although not from depressants or typical stimulants. Maybe part of what makes some people more susceptible to addiction is which substance or activity does that for them. If it's opioids, you're a lot more at risk than if it's exercise, meditation or psychedelics.

What factors could influence which substances bring someone to that state?
  #19  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:21 PM
HoneyBadgerDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance Ca
Posts: 7,996
I have two close friends who used meth only on occasion that had strokes with permanent damage. I know countless others who used recreational y for a while before it escalated and destroyed their lives. Marijuana and alcohol seem to be the only ones that don't escalate in an otherwise normal person. Things like mushrooms and MDA I am not so sure about, I do know a lot of people who seem to get by using recreationaly but then again it seems to be a pathway to other things.
  #20  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
What factors could influence which substances bring someone to that state?
Neurochemistry and genetics.

Some folks are deficient in native endorphins. Getting a hit of opioids really changes their outlook on life. Buprenorphine helps here.

Some folks don't convert folic acid into N methyl folate very well due to enzyme problems. This causes a decreased dopamine release to stimulus, and hence not much gratification in their lives. Opioids stimulate the dopamine release so this too changes their outlook on life. Taking N methyl folate supplements can help a LOT.

Some folks have opioid receptors that are abnormal and don't recognize their own endorphins, but they recognize external opioids just fine. This too changes their outlook on life when they get exposed to opioids. Buprenorphine helps these folks a lot.

There are other situations too, but those 3 affect a lot of folks

My 23andme analysis showed that I am one who is deficient in being able to convert folic acid to N methyl folate, and hence more susceptible to opioids. I now take N methyl folate supplements. I find myself far less restless, irritable and discontent on them than I was, even during my years of clean time. they don't elevate my mood, they just keep me rather more realistic. I still get dark moments, but they're far briefer, and easier to get out of.

I'm an advocate of medication assisted treatment. Counselling and peer support is still vital, but fixing the defect in the brain makes such other interventions far more likely to succeed.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 03-16-2019 at 12:46 PM.
  #21  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:07 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,045
I follow the twenty dollar rule I came up with long ago. If you can buy enough of a drug for twenty bucks to reliably kill yourself with, it's a drug you should stay away from. Alcohol, by that rule, is a bad drug. Street prices go up though so I should probably update that to a forty buck rule but nevertheless it's a pretty decent rule of thumb.

Club drugs are dodgy, many of them make you too dopy and impair memory to the point where you can't protect yourself from the people around you, not to mention there's really no way to be sure you're getting what they say you're getting. Best avoided overall.

Salvia divinorum is short acting but from what I've seen if it goes bad for you it's really, really bad and people have killed themselves reacting to what they think is going on so if you must, never without a sober babysitter who can physically restrain you for up to a half hour or so.

I tend to prefer to stick to drugs I can (or do) grow myself. Those are fairly hard to go wrong with, even if you grow poppies because you're limited by the small amounts of latex you can harvest without having a really big and noticeable field to grow them in. Opium is also a lot easier on your body than the refined versions, with a lesser effect and easier withdrawal if you get too enthusiastic about it. On the other hand, if you have chronic back pain and no health insurance, that's a pretty good solution to pain management. Not ideal, but it does work.

Last edited by SmartAleq; 03-16-2019 at 01:07 PM.
  #22  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,266
PCP is the stupidest drug of them all. Stay off PCP no matter what you do. It shuts off all thinking functions while leaving its victim conscious and alert.
  #23  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 PM
dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 638
Are we including inhalants like toluene(used in paint thinner and glue) and acetone(in nail polish remover)? Because I have a relative who suffered brain damage from using them and my impression was that they were a very dangerous way to get high.
  #24  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:32 PM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Are we including inhalants like toluene(used in paint thinner and glue) and acetone(in nail polish remover)? Because I have a relative who suffered brain damage from using them and my impression was that they were a very dangerous way to get high.
I've heard about people getting brain damage from drugs. I can see how it would happen with depressants that deprive the brain of oxygen or stimulants that result in cardiac arrest but what about solvents? What psychological effect do they have (I'm not willing to try it myself)?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I tend to prefer to stick to drugs I can (or do) grow myself. Those are fairly hard to go wrong with, even if you grow poppies because you're limited by the small amounts of latex you can harvest without having a really big and noticeable field to grow them in. Opium is also a lot easier on your body than the refined versions, with a lesser effect and easier withdrawal if you get too enthusiastic about it. On the other hand, if you have chronic back pain and no health insurance, that's a pretty good solution to pain management. Not ideal, but it does work.
Maybe it's a bit like fruits vs refined sugar; You can eat a lot of fruit without getting fat but refined sugar like donuts and soda will fatten you up quickly.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Neurochemistry and genetics.

Some folks are deficient in native endorphins. Getting a hit of opioids really changes their outlook on life. Buprenorphine helps here.

Some folks don't convert folic acid into N methyl folate very well due to enzyme problems. This causes a decreased dopamine release to stimulus, and hence not much gratification in their lives. Opioids stimulate the dopamine release so this too changes their outlook on life. Taking N methyl folate supplements can help a LOT.

Some folks have opioid receptors that are abnormal and don't recognize their own endorphins, but they recognize external opioids just fine. This too changes their outlook on life when they get exposed to opioids. Buprenorphine helps these folks a lot.
Thank you for the information. I get runner's high and lifter's high pretty easily so that might be why Dilaudid did little for me.

What might be the factors that lead people to prefer acute stimulants like amphetamines or crack? How about psychedelics?

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 03-16-2019 at 01:32 PM.
  #25  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 39,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I've heard about people getting brain damage from drugs. I can see how it would happen with depressants that deprive the brain of oxygen or stimulants that result in cardiac arrest but what about solvents? What psychological effect do they have (I'm not willing to try it myself)?
Same thing, depriving the brain of oxygen. When I was a teenager in the 70s there were kids huffing PAM, the cooking spray. It had propane as the propellant I think. I don't know why, we could get alcohol and weed quite easily. Kids were raiding their parents medicine cabinets for other drugs. Why you want to get down to the point of inhaling propane, or gasoline, or glue, or paint thinner, or who knows what, I have no idea. I'm sure someone who does this already has some serious problems.

Last edited by TriPolar; 03-16-2019 at 01:42 PM.
  #26  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
PCP is the stupidest drug of them all. Stay off PCP no matter what you do. It shuts off all thinking functions while leaving its victim conscious and alert.
Didn't some guy dig out his own eyeball and eat it while on PCP a few years ago?
  #27  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:52 PM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Same thing, depriving the brain of oxygen. When I was a teenager in the 70s there were kids huffing PAM, the cooking spray. It had propane as the propellant I think. I don't know why, we could get alcohol and weed quite easily. Kids were raiding their parents medicine cabinets for other drugs. Why you want to get down to the point of inhaling propane, or gasoline, or glue, or paint thinner, or who knows what, I have no idea. I'm sure someone who does this already has some serious problems.
I'm not sure about the chemistry of it: The propellant binds to the oxygen, depriving the brain of it and giving a woozy sensation? I guess that's what people into erotic asphyxiation get out of it.

And yeah, people who huff paint are probably the same who drink pruno/moonshine or, in Russia, inject Krokodil. That's such a miserable place, I don't know if my difficulty in imagining comes from inability or unwillingness.
  #28  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
What might be the factors that lead people to prefer acute stimulants like amphetamines or crack? How about psychedelics?
There my knowledge fails. I've rather focused on opioids over the years. I am NOT an addictionist, just very knowledgeable about a few areas of addiction. I'd have to study other areas more to have a chance of passing the addiction medicine boards. Which I don't plan to do, honestly. Though it could make a nice part-time semi-retirement career . . .
  #29  
Old 03-16-2019, 02:06 PM
pudytat72 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I was disappointed by Fentanyl. I was given some for an angiogram/angioplasty and I swear I didn't feel a thing. I asked the anesthesiologist if he gave me saline so he could take my dose home, but he swore he gave it to me.
When I was a Family Practice Resident in the Air Force, I had to take care of a Nurse Anesthetist that was doing exactly that (giving patient saline and taking the dose home). The reference sources at that time had no information on withdrawal symptoms. I had to ask him what symptoms we needed to watch for. Also had to ask him where his "good vein" was, and he helped me start his IV!
  #30  
Old 03-16-2019, 02:09 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 39,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I'm not sure about the chemistry of it: The propellant binds to the oxygen, depriving the brain of it and giving a woozy sensation? I guess that's what people into erotic asphyxiation get out of it.

And yeah, people who huff paint are probably the same who drink pruno/moonshine or, in Russia, inject Krokodil. That's such a miserable place, I don't know if my difficulty in imagining comes from inability or unwillingness.
Here's something on it

Quote:
When someone uses an inhalant, large amounts of toxic chemicals enter the lungs and pass from the bloodstream into the brain. There they damage and kill brain cells. The amount of fumes a young person inhales greatly exceeds what is considered safe, even in a workplace setting. It may take at least two weeks for the body to get rid of some of the chemicals in inhalants. Inhalants exit the body mainly through exhaling, which is why an inhalant abuser’s breath often smells like chemicals. Inhalants also pass out of the body through urine.
If nothing else it's reducing the overall oxygen in your blood stream on top of damaging brain cells. There are probably some other complex reactions.
  #31  
Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,638
Kentucky Fried Chicken
  #32  
Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Same thing, depriving the brain of oxygen. When I was a teenager in the 70s there were kids huffing PAM, the cooking spray. It had propane as the propellant I think. I don't know why, we could get alcohol and weed quite easily. Kids were raiding their parents medicine cabinets for other drugs. Why you want to get down to the point of inhaling propane, or gasoline, or glue, or paint thinner, or who knows what, I have no idea. I'm sure someone who does this already has some serious problems.
There was a kid in my area who died from huffing Freon, by freezing his lungs. Huffing gasoline is a very common problem in highly poverty-stricken areas where people cannot get any other recreational drugs, and it quickly causes permanent brain damage.

I also read (IIRC in Newsweek, but I can't find the story online) about an abandoned factory somewhere that turned into a big party spot, and when the kids found the 55-gallon drums of liquid mercury, it basically turned the town into a Superfund site because the kids were throwing it around and even taking it home with them. One kid dipped a cigarette into the mercury and smoked it, and almost died from mercury poisoning. (Darwin Award, anyone?)

No matter what some aspects of the mass media may say, there is nothing fun, cool, or fashionable about being addicted to opiates, or anything else.
  #33  
Old 03-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,207
Quadgop, can you please share a link to the brand of N methyl folate supplements you take? Anything else you could share about how to take them would also be greatly appreciated.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #34  
Old 03-16-2019, 03:10 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudytat72 View Post
When I was a Family Practice Resident in the Air Force, I had to take care of a Nurse Anesthetist that was doing exactly that (giving patient saline and taking the dose home). The reference sources at that time had no information on withdrawal symptoms. I had to ask him what symptoms we needed to watch for. Also had to ask him where his "good vein" was, and he helped me start his IV!
A nurse was arrested in my area because she was getting her fentanyl from discarded patches, by sucking it out with a syringe. Who knows how long she did this before she forgot to discard one of these patches, which was found by a colleague and an investigation launched.
  #35  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,146
All of them, Katey.
  #36  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 PM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,793
I won't tell anyone else what to do or not do. I will just say that the one and only time I had cocaine, I had such an incredible appetite for it that I never touched it again. I saw it would ruin me.

I get why people say opiates are worse, as highs go it doesn't get much better than that, but I never felt like I wanted to eat every single Vicodin in the world. (Also never had a regular supply, which is probably for the best).
  #37  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
Quadgop, can you please share a link to the brand of N methyl folate supplements you take? Anything else you could share about how to take them would also be greatly appreciated.
I get enlyte-D from this website: https://www.directvaluedispense.com/

But you might want to make sure you're genetically heterozygous for rs1801131 and/or rs1801133 before investing. If you do 23andMe, they will have tested you for these genes, so you can just look up your results. I am heterozygous for both of them. If you're heterozygous for at least one of them, the N methyl folate may benefit.

Here's an excellent website that discusses this and other genetic phenomena in the brain: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/SNPedia

That site can give you more info on folks who are dopamine deficient like me due to those genes, plus other stuff.

One pill a day is the recommended dose.

1801131 and 1801133 are located in the MTHFR gene, and they are one MTHFR of a pain to have heterozygosity there, let me tell you!

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 03-16-2019 at 05:05 PM.
  #38  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I won't tell anyone else what to do or not do. I will just say that the one and only time I had cocaine, I had such an incredible appetite for it that I never touched it again. I saw it would ruin me.
Yeah, I have been around it a bit, and people all told me I would love it. I said, "That's what I'm afraid of."

I'll do cocaine under 2 conditions. The fate of the world depends on me staying awake and alert for 48+ hours and there are no other stimulants available, or I'm on my deathbed and figure why the hell not.
Quote:
I get why people say opiates are worse, as highs go it doesn't get much better than that, but I never felt like I wanted to eat every single Vicodin in the world. (Also never had a regular supply, which is probably for the best).
I've taken opiates for pain after I had my wisdom teeth out. I did really like the way that they kept me from feeling like someone had just ripped my wisdom teeth out, but other than that, I hated them. I hated the way they made me feel, the way they made me think. I felt like I was smothered under a heavy wet blanket.
  #39  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,929
Also note that I am not one to jump on the bandwagon for supplements. I chose to try N Methyl folate supplements only after hearing a respected researcher in addiction medicine, Dr. Howard Wetsman, give a talk on it at an addiction conference I was at. I spoke to him briefly after, and discussed it further via email, and determined my own genetic status before deciding to give it a go.

Here's his website, where he posts a lot of thoughtful commentary: https://medium.com/@addictiondocMD
  #40  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:15 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,981
The Internet. That will suck you in, fuck you up, devour all your precious time and leave your brain rotting right off the bone.
  #41  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:20 PM
rsat3acr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The Internet. That will suck you in, fuck you up, devour all your precious time and leave your brain rotting right off the bone.
Hey, I can quit any time I want.
  #42  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:46 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 4,841
my nephew was on a fentanyl patch because of the pain of having a trich in his throat and having cerebral palsy ....


the place was a well-meaning dive our local hospital sent him to but my aunt took a months worth of training so he could get home


I could tell when the patch wore off because a sweet and lovable teenager (mentally he was about 9 or 10) became something indescribable ......

finally the head of the UCLA med center breathing dept admitted him to specifically get him off of it when he went in for a tube clean out and pretty much made it her crusade to put the hospice that gave it to him out of business and told us we should have sued them straight to hell because no one under 18 should have it prescribed or should even think about using it .... he was soo much happier without it and that was about 7-8 years ago ........

Last edited by nightshadea; 03-16-2019 at 05:49 PM.
  #43  
Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 PM
FlikTheBlue is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I won't tell anyone else what to do or not do. I will just say that the one and only time I had cocaine, I had such an incredible appetite for it that I never touched it again. I saw it would ruin me.

I get why people say opiates are worse, as highs go it doesn't get much better than that, but I never felt like I wanted to eat every single Vicodin in the world. (Also never had a regular supply, which is probably for the best).
The one time I tried cocaine I didn’t notice any effects on how I felt other than a racing heart. None the less, I have no desire to try it again and have no idea if maybe I tried a particularly weak batch. Marijuana and alcohol certainly had their intended effects, but I have no craving for either substance. This doesn’t mean that I don’t have an addictive personality, it’s just that the my addictions are in different areas including caffeine, food (carbs in particular) and video games.
  #44  
Old 03-16-2019, 07:57 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I will just say that the one and only time I had cocaine, I had such an incredible appetite for it that I never touched it again. I saw it would ruin me.
I've never done recreational cocaine, nor have I ever had the opportunity to do so, but when I was in college, I worked with a guy who told the story many times about how he tried it once, and didn't even like it all that much but knew, when it wore off and he had a huge urge to do it again, that this stuff was BAD NEWS and he needed to avoid it at all costs.

One of my college roommates, who in a past life had had some problems with it, was quite surprised when I told her that it's used medicinally (not as much now as it was then) and that in that setting, it's actually very safe.
  #45  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
… a guy who told the story many times about how he tried it once, and didn't even like it all that much but knew, when it wore off and he had a huge urge to do it again …
That is exactly my experience. I came from drugs that mess with you head. Coke does not seem to do that (in my perception). It is compelling to do it, but the effect is a bit too subtle, and all it really seems to do is make you want to do more – especially when it wears off in 20 minutes, you feel like shit, and you know that the only thing that will stop you feeling like shit is more coke.
  #46  
Old 03-17-2019, 04:38 AM
gvntofly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 34
When I was coming up my rule of thumb was if it required use of a needle for me to get the drug into my body then I wouldn't do it. Otherwise everything else was fair game.

I'm actually thankful that was late 70's and early 80's and not now. I'd probably be dead coming up in the current illicit drug scene.
  #47  
Old 03-17-2019, 04:51 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,207
Thank you Quadgop !!!
__________________
--------------------------------------
"There's a support group for that, it's called everybody and they meet at the bar."
  #48  
Old 03-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Nava is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 40,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
This probably isn't in the spirit of the thread, but why do any?
It took me a long time to understand it. There appears to be a combination of factors, some below:
* social aspects (your friends are doing it, so you do as well),
* in the case of alcohol, some of those drinks actually do taste good to many people; not everybody who drinks alcohol does so in order to get drunk, any more than people who eat chocolate do so in order to get fat.
* some people have difficulty finishing weird ideas. They get a weird idea but it's "in the tip of their tongue", they can't wrap it up. Some of these people will take drugs hoping for a creativity boost.
* some take uppers looking for a boost to their concentration or their energy levels, or painkillers because they happen to be in pain (you can even take a painkiller which doesn't do its job due to being the wrong kind, but which does hook you)
* and some have difficulty daring to do things they want to do, and take drugs as an artificial relaxant. Balls in a bottle, as it were.

That's as for why to start; why to continue, well, if it feels good or you think you achieved whatever other goal you had, and if the goodness:cost apparent ratio is within acceptable values, you continue.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 03-17-2019 at 06:39 AM.
  #49  
Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,204
I love cannabis and partake most evenings. Periodically I'll take a two week tolerance break which is also enjoyable. I like alcohol, and according to my doctor I'm in the "too much" category, yet I can go without and not suffer at all.

I like opiates and occasionally lose a day to them. I do not want more, though. Maybe once a year I'll take some, much like mushrooms, LSD, ketamine, and the like. As much as I like these drugs, they are almost "too much".

Cocaine I will not do again. Back in the day I really, really, really liked coke. Luckily I could not afford much back then, but a few times I'd splurge and buy an amount that I'd rationalize would last for awhile. I reasoned that I could do a bit every Friday and Saturday evening and I'd be set for months. Then I'd burn through it in a single weekend. I'm glad I gave it up, and I'm happier still that it's not as readily available nowadays.

We need a bloodshot eyes smilie.
  #50  
Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 AM
ruadh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Baile Átha Cliath
Posts: 7,710
Jimsonweed. Really. Just don't.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017