Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Do you refuse to say gimmick names for chain restaurant food?

Whenever a chain decides to have a "fun" name for a staple menu item do you say that name or just use a generic term for it?

For example do you order at Denny's the "Moons Over My Hammy sandwich" or just the ham and eggs sandwich?

Or do you order at Wendy's the "S'Awesome Burger" or just call it "Awesome burger" for short or even just it's combo number on the menu?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM

at a place like Dennys yes because a lot of the times the server doesn't know what the dish actually is

at the fast food places not really...

Last edited by nightshadea; 03-17-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

A place like Denny's has so many versions of ham and eggs, pancakes, etc. that you really do need to specify which menu item you're talking about.

At a fast food place I usually just order by the item #.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM

If there's a menu I point. Assuming the wait-person can read all's usually good. I rarely eat anything at Mcdonalds. At Sonic I say their name for the item.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Kind of, I refuse to learn whatever Starbucks calls small, medium and large. It’s rare for me to go in one, so it’s not an issue.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

The only place this has bothered me is Cracker Barrel. I want 2 eggs, sausage, grits, toast. I don't give a flying frig if that is Grandma's breakfast, Pappy's platter, the Farmer's skillet, whatever - I just want 2 eggs, sausage, grits and toast.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-17-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
A place like Denny's has so many versions of ham and eggs, pancakes, etc. that you really do need to specify which menu item you're talking about.
Even if you think that the place's menu items have annoyingly cutesy, gimmicky, or twee names, all you're doing when refusing to use the names is taking out your annoyance on your server, who had nothing to do with the names, and making your server's life just a little more difficult (and increasing the odds that they won't get your order right). This is particularly true if you get a server who's newer and not entirely familiar with the ins and outs of the menu.

If you can't bring yourself to use the cutesy name, just point at the darned thing on the menu.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-17-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 PM

I would totally eat Denny's "Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity," but I don't think an adult should have to utter that phrase out loud.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Even if you think that the place's menu items have annoyingly cutesy, gimmicky, or twee names, all you're doing when refusing to use the names is taking out your annoyance on your server, who had nothing to do with the names, and making your server's life just a little more difficult (and increasing the odds that they won't get your order right). This is particularly true if you get a server who's newer and not entirely familiar with the ins and outs of the menu.

If you can't bring yourself to use the cutesy name, just point at the darned thing on the menu.
Too late to edit: my apologies to kunilou; my quoting of them made it sound like I was saying that kunilou didn't want to say the cutesy names, which is not the case. I'd intended to be building on the point in the previous post, and I did so in a confusing manner.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
QFT
Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I would totally eat Denny's "Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity," but I don't think an adult should have to utter that phrase out loud.
I should hope you wouldn't utter that phrase at Denny's, seeing as that's IHOP's signature meal.

Last edited by Smapti; 03-17-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:09 PM

i thik dennys even made fun ot it.... in a commrical series

Theres a bunch of grizzled old farmers in a diner talking about crops wilting lost cows dying ect then a waitress pops up and they say a bunck of exergrated kids menu stuff ... and then "dennys a serious diner "..ect
Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 AM

I won't do it until they tell me they won't sell me the hamburger and then I will call the stupid thing a mini burger.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:53 AM

I love saying "rooty tooty fresh and fruity" and would have no problem ordering it by name. The handful of times I've been to Starbucks I think I either pointed to the size cup or said "whatever the smallest is". I haven't been there enough to know the names, and, even though I think it's kind of stupid, I would call them by whatever the staff knows them by.

What I won't do is call the chicken nuggets at McDonald's "McNuggets". and I wouldn't say "McMuffin" either, but I don't eat them so it's never come up. I don't know why these bug me when the others don't but they just strike me as embarrassing.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

It's not just chain restaurants that do this. Local sandwich joints do the same thing, perhaps with each sandwich named after a person or organization in the area. And yes, I dislike it and prefer not to use the silly names.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Heck, I used to read the entire ridiculous menu description when I ordered at the Denny’s type places. As in

“I’d like the 3 extra fluffy scrambled farm fresh eggs with your specially seasoned applewood bacon and topped with your delicious golden buttery cheese blend, please”.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 AM

I find gimmick names / silly names for food / drink items -- in places which one goes to, to consume same on the spot -- foolish and embarrassing to have anything to do with. I'll devise various work-arounds to avoid having to say the idiot thing aloud (I think I'd rather die, than enunciate out loud "rooty tooty fresh and fruity")

There's a particular thing in this field, about which I maybe go to extremes. My country (UK) produces -- often in restricted localities -- a vast range of beers and ales: the marketing folks knock themselves out inventing quirky names for the endless numbers of these, which periodically wax and wane -- a more-than-tiny minority of such names, are for me embarrassingly silly to the nth degree. (Many of such, involve bogus "rustic-speak".) Those beers whose names I find, in that way, just too goofy and awful: I refuse to try, or have anything to do with -- let alone saying the name -- I don't care if the beverage concerned is, in itself, the best beer in creation.

Last edited by Sangahyando; 03-18-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: grammar (maybe still wrong)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I only refuse to use a gimmick name if it has some other obvious name and the gimmick name is too long. For instance a hypothetical dish called "Captain Jack Sparrows Sparrowriffic Blackbird Pie" I would just call "Blackbird Pie".

The worst offender for me is 7-11's Bahama Mama sausage, because I have to specify its name to differentiate it from their other oblong meat selections, and unless you say each of the seven syllables slowly, the cashier will make you repeat it.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Kind of, I refuse to learn whatever Starbucks calls small, medium and large. Itís rare for me to go in one, so itís not an issue.
Yeah, I'll back this up. Small, medium and large, kid. Just make it happen.

I've even adopted 'No hablo Starbucks' from Questionable Content when they try to specify.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post

I've even adopted 'No hablo Starbucks' from Questionable Content when they try to specify.
It's weird how they got all the yuppies who would refuse to say Supersize Me, or whatever, to use their dumb names for small, medium, and large. I go in a Starbucks maybe once every couple of months, but I've never had anyone be the list bit of confused by my ordering a medium cup of coffee.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

That particular beef is one I have with Firehouse Subs: their sizes are not even listed on their menu. The first time I was snarkily corrected when I tried to specify what size I wanted, and I thought that maybe it might have been my fault for not reading the menu carefully enough, and so the second time I went, I perused the menu for minutes looking for the magic names of the sizes of the subs that would not draw a perky passive aggressive correction, but I failed and was corrected nonetheless.

There was not a third time.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kind of, I refuse to learn whatever Starbucks calls small, medium and large. It’s rare for me to go in one, so it’s not an issue.
I agree with "don't be an ass to the server", but I also agree with this. I also agree with calling the "small" a "small", even if the idiots labelled the "small" drink the "medium" drink. And, yes, I've seen this done.

It's a complicated world, is what I'm sayin'.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-18-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
What I won't do is call the chicken nuggets at McDonald's "McNuggets".
Me either, except when I go into BK or Wendys and order their "mcnuggets"
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 AM

I do it but I feel kind of silly.

I agree with whoever said about local delis having names for each individual sandwich. The names don't annoy me but if I'm in a hurry or a place I probably won't go to again (like if I'm travelling and stop to eat)I'm not going to study the menu to figure out which of their 100 sandwiches is a ham and swiss on rye with mustard. I'm just going to order ham and swiss on rye with mustard.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Eberts & Gerberts was the king of this crap, they changed it now, but you used to have to say words like 'narmer' or 'gerf' for something like a ham hoagie.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
What I won't do is call the chicken nuggets at McDonald's "McNuggets".
What I won't do is call them "chicken."
Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Kind of, I refuse to learn whatever Starbucks calls small, medium and large. Itís rare for me to go in one, so itís not an issue.
Was going to say this. I'll have your middle sized cup please.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Heck, I used to read the entire ridiculous menu description when I ordered at the Dennyís type places. As in

ďIíd like the 3 extra fluffy scrambled farm fresh eggs with your specially seasoned applewood bacon and topped with your delicious golden buttery cheese blend, pleaseĒ.
This is great stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
The only place this has bothered me is Cracker Barrel. I want 2 eggs, sausage, grits, toast. I don't give a flying frig if that is Grandma's breakfast, Pappy's platter, the Farmer's skillet, whatever - I just want 2 eggs, sausage, grits and toast.
This is even better.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM

I think if you can't bring yourself to say the name of the dish, you're not mature enough to eat it.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:20 PM

What's the big hangup? Do you think they are laughing at you for having to say the names that they thought up and put on the menu? Why is it "embarassing"?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

At Cracker Barrel, it's the irritation of having to read through the entire menu to figure out which one represents a very basic breakfast combination.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

The only place I absolutely refuse to use the cutesy names is Cold Stone Creamery ("Like It," "Love It," and "Gotta Have It"). That's just one step too far for me. I order a "small" (or a "kid size" because even their small is rather huge) and I've never had a server have a problem with it.

Most of the Cold Stones have disappeared around here anyway, which is probably for the best, so it's no longer a problem.

It never even occurred to me to have a problem using the item names at fast food restaurants (Quarter Pounder, Whopper, McNuggets, etc.)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM

I prefer the names.

Jimmy Johns eliminated the sandwich names and you order by number now. I hate it because it's so much easier to remember the name.

My two were the Hunters Club and Bootlegger.

Hunters is roast beef with provolone cheese. Bootlegger is roast beef & turkey.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
The only place I absolutely refuse to use the cutesy names is Cold Stone Creamery ("Like It," "Love It," and "Gotta Have It"). That's just one step too far for me. I order a "small" (or a "kid size" because even their small is rather huge) and I've never had a server have a problem with it.

Most of the Cold Stones have disappeared around here anyway, which is probably for the best, so it's no longer a problem.

It never even occurred to me to have a problem using the item names at fast food restaurants (Quarter Pounder, Whopper, McNuggets, etc.)
Cold Stone Creamery is one of the worst franchises you can buy into, with almost 1/3rd of all STC owners defaulting on their small business loans.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
The worst offender for me is 7-11's Bahama Mama sausage,
Is that the bright red one that has "beef lips" as the first ingredient?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I'll say the names if they're just cutesy - if the name is going to result in a lot of jokes ( Like the Big Ass Pork Platter) then I just point to it on the menu.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
That particular beef is one I have with Firehouse Subs: their sizes are not even listed on their menu. The first time I was snarkily corrected when I tried to specify what size I wanted, and I thought that maybe it might have been my fault for not reading the menu carefully enough, and so the second time I went, I perused the menu for minutes looking for the magic names of the sizes of the subs that would not draw a perky passive aggressive correction, but I failed and was corrected nonetheless.

There was not a third time.
This confused me because I've always ordered a medium. I just checked their menu on-line and they very clearly have S, M, or L next to the prices.

Arby's sizes though are Classic, Double, and Half Pound. The usually ask me when I order a medium if I want the double. I don't want the biggest, and I don't want the smallest... I want the medium. Shouldn't be that hard.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Refuse? No, that seems like a weird mix of grumpy 75 year old and sullen 14 year old that I'd aspire not to be. I might point to the menu or use a number if the names is way too long and the server doesn't understand my abbreviated version, but I have no problem reading off whatever name they have for whatever menu item I'd like to eat.

I find the idea a bit baffling as I can't imagine the situation where anyone would fault someone for using the actual name on the menu, whereas I can perfectly imagine laughing at someone insisting "It's a cheeseburger with fries, dangit! I refuse to call it anything else!"
Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
What's the big hangup? Do you think they are laughing at you for having to say the names that they thought up and put on the menu? Why is it "embarassing"?
Because I am an adult with a minimum amount of self respect. Plus, I am not an employee of their corporation and paid to buy into their bullshit descriptions of their average dishes made to sound better than they are.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM

I will never order the “Ugly Naked Guy” at Moe’s.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post

So you prefer to act like a dick to the person who is only trying to help you get what you want?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's all you can do at the new McDonald's. They have converted the order desk to a touch screen. No need to even be able to read or speak as long as you can view the pictures. if you don't see it, you can't have it.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
That's all you can do at the new McDonald's. They have converted the order desk to a touch screen. No need to even be able to read or speak as long as you can view the pictures. if you don't see it, you can't have it.
Where is there a McDonalds without a counter to place an order?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
Was going to say this. I'll have your middle sized cup please.
Me at local (campus) Starbucks: "Drip coffee, dark roast, whatever you call medium."

Teen clerk: "We call it... medium." (said with mischievous smile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Yeah, we have one with kiosks, but there's still a counter for the traditionalists.

Last edited by digs; 03-18-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
It's a little know fact that whenever someone approaches a counter at a fast food restaurant, the kitchen clerk's all huddle up just outside the customer's field of vision, snickering to themselves in anticipation as they wait to see whether the customer will call the food by its advertised name, placing bets on the funniest one they'll say.

I'm told that "I'll have a Baconator" is considered the gold standard of hilarity.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I agree with "don't be an ass to the server", but I also agree with this. I also agree with calling the "small" a "small", even if the idiots labelled the "small" drink the "medium" drink. And, yes, I've seen this done.
So was it marked up as medium, large, extra large? That actually would make some sense, as there is a "small" size called a "short" that they don't really advertise. And the middle size of the usual three -- tall, grande, and venti -- means "large." (Apparently, the original two Starbucks sizes were "short" (8 oz) and "tall" (12 oz.) )

So I can get it, but that is a bit unusual. I usually just use the words "small," "medium," and "large," and those have always corresponded to "tall," "grande," and "venti" to the servers I've used it with.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Just fyi, it wasn't Starbucks that did this.

And naming the smallest item in a 3-item list as "medium" is stupid, regardless of how it can be explained away.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-18-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Yeah, literally all of them here in the Charleston area. At least the ones I've been to in the last six months all got converted over to kiosk. I find it doesn't work too well.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Whenever a chain decides to have a "fun" name for a staple menu item do you say that name or just use a generic term for it?
i wont even say "venti" at starbucks-- not that youre likely to find me there.

corporate and cute do not go well together. id consider ordering something with a stupid name if it were local. i do business with large corporations all the time, but im not going to start speaking their language if i can help it.

dominos is suggesting people show support by high-fiving the box the pizza comes in.

what a pointless, stupid idea. you wouldnt high-five the pizza delivery person, unless you were both fans of the same football team and they scored a touchdown while they were in the doorway-- why the heck would you do that to the box? people sit in meetings and come up with this nonsense. its fake and ridiculous.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I go with whatever is most likely to result in accurate communication between me and the minimum-wage kid taking my order. For names of dishes, that usually means the name as it's presented on the menu, because they might have many similar dishes, and the minimum-wage kid might not know all of the details. At Starbucks, that means specifying a size in ounces, because they know what that means, but I don't know what all the size words mean. And no, I've never had any problem with a Starbucks order-taker not knowing the ounce sizes, or giving me any sort of grief at all for ordering that way.