Old 04-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Kamala owns a gun "for personal safety"

According to this report:

Quote:
The senator from California told reporters after a campaign event in Iowa that she is a gun owner. She says, ďI own a gun for probably the reason that a lot of people do: for personal safety.Ē
Various Dopers have, in the past, argued that guns don't actually enhance one's personal safety and are actually a detriment to it. What do you make of Kamala owning a gun "for personal safety"? Do you think she's unaware of the statistics? Is she stupid? Do you think she's lying about actually owning a gun? Something else?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:02 PM

I doubt that this thread will work the way you may be envisioning. Not many who post here have expressed sentiments of the type you suggest.

Many progressives support responsible gun ownership.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM

well if I was a politician id own a gun or have someone armed around me on general purpose but given the far/religious rights action movie fantasies and willingness to use violence to get their message across do ya blame her ?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM

I think it's a free country and she can have a gun if it's legal where she lives. I don't see this as controversial or surprising.

I don't think she's "stupid" or "lying." Very few on he left want to ban the personal possession of handguns for protection, even if they don't think it's a good idea. The debate seems to be over background checks, keeping guns from people with a history of violence and mental illness, concealed carry rights, "assault rifles," and gun show loopholes.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 PM

No reaction, other than this solidifies my not seeing why some on this forum have this idea her relationship with guns is extreme and would be detrimental to her candidacy.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 PM

Well, let's go down the same old same old...
She has it as a penis substitute.
She has it because she fantasizes about killing people.
She's a law abiding citizen but all criminals were until they committed a crime.
She's poor at calculating risk.
She's racist.
She's fascist.
She's one bad day away from being a murderer.
If she defends herself with it, she is summarily imposing a death penalty for a crime that doesn't deserve it.
Et fucking cetera.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Right-wing violence is on the rise. All liberals should be armed.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Does she have a handgun?
An M16? AK 47?
An Uzi? A Mac 10?
A grenade launcher?

Are all these weapons reasonable for a citizen to have? Can reasonable people think that maybe there is a line to be drawn?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Right-wing violence is on the rise. All liberals should be armed.
Isn't that a Catch-22 for you guys: Vox - Living in a house with a gun increases your odds of death

Quote:
Guns can kill you in three ways: homicide, suicide, and by accident. Owning a gun or having one readily accessible makes all three more likely. One meta-analysis ”found strong evidence for increased odds of suicide among persons with access to firearms compared with those without access and moderate evidence for an attenuated increased odds of homicide victimization when persons with and without access to firearms were compared.” The latter finding is stronger for women, a reminder that guns are also a risk factor for domestic violence. ...

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 04-12-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post

Various Dopers have, in the past, argued that guns don't actually enhance one's personal safety and are actually a detriment to it. What do you make of Kamala owning a gun "for personal safety"? Do you think she's unaware of the statistics? Is she stupid? Do you think she's lying about actually owning a gun? Something else?
People choose the illusion of safety over real safety almost every time. Yes, it is dumb. Shockingly Democrats can be dumb too.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Democratic politicians who own a gun: quite a few openly talk about it.

Republican politicians who have had an abortion: for sure thereís some, but itís a secret buried deeper than the Ark of the Covenant in that government warehouse.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Did I miss the memo? Are Democrats perceived to be anti-gun?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:

This kinda puts the kibosh on the whole "dems are gun grabbers" narrative you've deluded yourself into believing, doesn't it?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
It's been decades now but the fruitcakes still believe that the Democrats are coming for their guns. Keep buying ammo, all you stable geniuses.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Apparently
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Democratic politicians who own a gun: quite a few openly talk about it.

Republican politicians who have had an abortion: for sure thereís some, but itís a secret buried deeper than the Ark of the Covenant in that government warehouse.
It's Ms. Harris' right to do so, and my right not to, and both of our rights to do this and feel this way. I suspect that if anyone out there is a responsible gun owner, properly trained and licensed if necessary, it's her.

Even more buried are the Republican politicians who had been responsible for an abortion.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
This kinda puts the kibosh on the whole "dems are gun grabbers" narrative you've deluded yourself into believing, doesn't it?
No.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:36 PM

She was a law enforcement officer for years. There's nothing unusual about a former LEO owning a gun.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Really? I donít see any gun grabbers in that article. Just stuff like this.

Quote:
In Michigan, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer won on a platform of universal background checks, banning bump stocks and prohibiting gun possession for those guilty of violent crimes
Old 04-12-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
She was a law enforcement officer for years. There's nothing unusual about a former LEO owning a gun.
You think she carried at work as an LEO?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You think she carried at work as an LEO?
No.

I think she has more than the typical number of dangerous people who might wish to do her harm as a result of her law enforcement career.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A little. More than the GOp. Generally the dems are in favor of mild gun control. Background checks, assault weapon bans, etc.

But Harris is about as anti-gun as holds major office. She said that gun laws that were unconstitutional were perfectly OK. She was in favor of a total handgun ban. She put into practice a sneak gun law that bans all new handgun models.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No.

I think she has more than the typical number of dangerous people who might wish to do her harm as a result of her law enforcement career.
And thinks she just might be that "good guy with a gun"?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
And thinks she just might be that "good guy with a gun"?
Maybe. She says that she owns a gun for personal safety. Is that the same as thinking she might be a "good guy with a gun"? Why would you ask me what she thinks? How would I know?

Last edited by Lance Turbo; 04-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
She was the AG. Never a cop. Now, yea, that is a "Peace officer", sure.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
No, she wasn't.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:20 PM

She unambiguously was a law enforcement officer. California has a law that defines the term.

However, that's not really the point. She put people in jail. A lot of people... and some of those people are dangerous. Some of those dangerous people aren't in jail anymore. She has different personal safety issues than the average Joe. That's the point.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
She said that gun laws that were unconstitutional were perfectly OK. She was in favor of a total handgun ban.
You know, I'm really tired of your bullshit where you claim to have the final word about what's Constitutional and what's not.

It's especially ridiculous, given the number of things whose status vis-a-vis the Constitution have changed so far in this young century. Constitutionality is something particularly fluid these days. Claims like the ones you make about Constitutionality are like claiming to be able to nail Jello to a wall.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
She unambiguously was a law enforcement officer. California has a law that defines the term.

However, that's not really the point. She put people in jail. A lot of people... and some of those people are dangerous. Some of those dangerous people aren't in jail anymore. She has different personal safety issues than the average Joe. That's the point.
Plus right wing violence is on the rise, and an outspoken black woman from California is going to be a major target.

I can't blame her for owning a gun.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 PM

FWIW I do believe the stats and do not believe gun ownership enhances personal safety. And I think that others are free to disagree and to own handguns.

She or another candidate is allowed to make decisions regarding her personal life that I would not make.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 PM

And just because on average, according to studies like posted in this thread, having a gun doesn't increase personal safety. That doesn't mean that having a gun NEVER increases personal safety.

I'm sure that in some cases depending on the training and competence of the gun owner, and the possible threats to that gun owner, that sometimes it does make sense to have a gun.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:

...if she lived in New Zealand, then what she is doing would be a crime. It is illegal to own a gun here if the purpose of that gun is for self defense.

But she lives in the United-fucking-States-of-America.

And owning a gun for the purpose of self-defense is enshrined in your constitution.

Did you not know this? Are you not familiar with the Second Amendment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...s_Constitution

That an American citizen owns a gun for the purpose of self-defense is the most unsurprising thing I've heard on the internet in my entire life.

So this "various dopers" argument you make in your OP just doesn't cut it. Its a strawman. Various dopers have various complex and nuanced views on gun control. But your OP is not particularly complex and it most certainly isn't nuanced. Not many people in America argue for "no guns EVAH!" and that certainly isn't what most dopers here would argue, but that is what your OP implies.

Many (if not most) democrats argue for sensible gun control and if Harris knows how to use her gun, follows best practice gun safety guidelines and she is complying with all applicable state and federal laws: then how is that in conflict with the position that "various dopers" hold?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...if she lived in New Zealand, then what she is doing would be a crime. It is illegal to own a gun here if the purpose of that gun is for self defense.

But she lives in the United-fucking-States-of-America.

And owning a gun for the purpose of self-defense is enshrined in your constitution.

Did you not know this? ...
Of course I know this. I'm not arguing, and have never suggested, that what she is doing is / should be illegal. It's perfectly legal. That's not the point.

Quote:
... how is that in conflict with the position that "various dopers" hold?
DigitalC (and others) had absolutely no difficulty at all grasping the conflict. You might want to start with his post #10.

Once the site's search function is working again, I'll dig up some examples of the type of argument I was referring to.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 04-13-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:20 AM

no this is a "what about them" argument because a lot of anti gun posters have supported her and I think shes made a few gun control statements herself

But when the alleged leader of the free world advocates or ignores violence against those who oppose him and his its necessary ……

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-13-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Of course I know this. I'm not arguing, and have never suggested, that what she is doing is / should be illegal. It's perfectly legal. That's not the point.
...its not about "the legality." Its about your incredulity.

Quote:
DigitalC (and others) had absolutely no difficulty at all grasping the conflict. You might want to start with his post #10.
I happen to think yoga is "dumb." But if I found out that Mitt Romney practiced yoga I wouldn't leap to the position that this was something controversial that needed to be discussed.

Quote:
Once the site's search function is working again, I'll dig up some examples of the type of argument I was referring to.
Perhaps you should have done that before starting the thread.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
...Perhaps you should have done that before starting the thread.
As I've already pointed out, you seem to be the only one having trouble grasping the conflict. That indicates to me that my OP was plenty clear.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:04 AM

As is what you seemingly want to accomplish with this thread, HD. I've defended you in the past, but this is just pathetic. A woman who spent a good portion of her life putting bad guys in prison recognizes that not all of them are still incarcerated, and a few may hold a grudge against her for their imprisonment. I don't see anything particularly wrong with her decision, nor do I find it hypocritical, dumb, dishonest, are any other adjective you're trying to portray her as.

There are at least 3 guns in my house currently, and all legal. And yet I support common sense gun reform. Do you find me a hypocrite?
Old 04-13-2019, 02:08 AM

Somewhat off-topic, but being a Senator and presidential candidate, is Kamala still at a point where her self-defense lies in her hands and not in bodyguards of some sort?
Old 04-13-2019, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...nt.
"Peace Officer" Not "Law Enforcement Officer. " Yes, as State AG.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
You know, I'm really tired of your bullshit where you claim to have the final word about what's Constitutional and what's not.
I dont have any claims at all, first or last. But the Supreme Court does and they ruled that law Unconstitutional. And so thereby it was , like it or no.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
As is what you seemingly want to accomplish with this thread, HD. I've defended you in the past, but this is just pathetic. A woman who spent a good portion of her life putting bad guys in prison recognizes that not all of them are still incarcerated, and a few may hold a grudge against her for their imprisonment. I don't see anything particularly wrong with her decision, nor do I find it hypocritical, dumb, dishonest, are any other adjective you're trying to portray her as.

There are at least 3 guns in my house currently, and all legal. And yet I support common sense gun reform. Do you find me a hypocrite?

Would you consider banning all handguns "common sense gun reform"?

Look, sure she has a right to carry a gun.

But let's say one of the most rabid GOP right to lifers had a abortion. Or a evangelist that preaches hatred to gays- is found sucking cock thru a glory hole. Having a abortion is legal (mostly, ymmv) and of course the politico has the right to have a abortion. But wouldn't you call her a hypocrite? Being gay is legal, protected even, and of course the minister has a right to be gay- but wouldn't you call him a hypocrite?

So Harris believes and has supported laws that would ban all private ownership of handguns. Doesn't that make her a hypocrite?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:10 AM

The only claims I can find (in a quick search) that Harris wants to ban private gun ownership are from disreputable sites on the subject that have been known to lie about gun control issues, like the NRA's site, Breitbart, and other right wing pro-gun organizations.

Do you have any actually valid cites?

Last edited by BigT; 04-13-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
As I've already pointed out, you seem to be the only one having trouble grasping the conflict.
...the very first reply to you said "I doubt that this thread will work the way you may be envisioning. Not many who post here have expressed sentiments of the type you suggest. Many progressives support responsible gun ownership."

So stop pretending its "only just me."

Quote:
That indicates to me that my OP was plenty clear.
I never said your OP "wasn't clear." I said your OP was not complex and not nuanced. I said it was based on a series of strawmen.

You've shown that someone thinks Harris is "dumb." Congratulations! Someone thinks Harris is dumb because she owns a gun for "personal safety." Well okay then? What does that say about Harris? What does that say about that particular poster? And is that particular poster representative of the "various posters" you claim exist in the OP? What is your thesis here? What is it you think you've managed to point out?
Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I dont have any claims at all, first or last. But the Supreme Court does and they ruled that law Unconstitutional. And so thereby it was , like it or no.
And before then, it wasn't, like it or no.

You say "She said that gun laws that were unconstitutional were perfectly OK." Was she doing that when they were unconstitutional, or when they weren't?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Is this really that hard to figure out? It can be the case that, for the average person, owning a gun increases your risk, but a black Democratic politician is not the average person -- she's at increased risk for assassination compared to, for example, me. Even in NYC, where handgun laws were (still are?) draconian, you could get one if you often carried large amounts of money or had other risk factors.

I don't think it's that useful to have a parachute with me at all times, but if I were a pilot, I might think otherwise. And, parachutes don't even increase my danger level!

So, for her, it may certainly be the case that carrying a gun increases her personal safety, even though for the average person it doesn't. Do you get that? Why did you ask those questions in your last paragraph if you do?

If I were a former cop that lived in the neighborhood where a lot of my arrests took place, a gun may certainly increase my personal safety, right?

Plus, she may be more careful with her weapon than the average person, and maybe has no depression or suicidal thoughts. Someone who is depressed or suicidal should certainly remove any weapons from her home. She probably lives in a nice neighborhood, with a lower chance of someone wanting to break in to steal her gun.

Honestly, I'm not sure your questions in the last paragraph were really in good faith. It seems so obvious that a particular person may increase their personal safety by carrying a gun than the average person that I can't believe you wouldn't get it.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 AM

Some Trumpist types argue that those advocating for a gas tax should pay a higher price for gasoline voluntarily. Is this something like that? We know that "pro-Life" people in one state are now calling for the deaths of women who eat morning-after pills. If I advocated gun control publicly, by this point I'd certainly worry about my own self-defense from gun nuts.

Is this the intended point? That gun control advocates should make themselves vulnerable so that when revolution comes gunnists will be able to gun them down without fear?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Must've been a sleepless night, with all that anticipation of waking up to find all the world's libs owned. When is the victory parade?
Old 04-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
"Peace Officer" Not "Law Enforcement Officer. " Yes, as State AG.
You seem to be deliberately missing the point.

She had a long career in the enforcing the laws business. It is not at all unusual for someone who spent a great deal of time enforcing laws to own a gun. Such a person will have made a negative impression on a number of dangerous people and their dangerous associates due to his or her role in enforcing laws against them.

That's the point.

Some things that are beside the point...

Was she a law enforcement officer? She was.
Are peace officers law enforcement officers? They are.

Arguing about those two points is not really germane to the thread in addition to being a losing battle for you. You'd be better served making up things that Kamala Harris supposedly said that she definitely didn't say.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
That's on average. The calculus would probably be different for someone with as many enemies as a former prosecutor, now US Senator and Presidential candidate (of either party) would be likely to have.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Quote:
Bait and switch much?
Your cited article says nothing about any Democratic Party (or individual) arguing to confiscate weapons. All the positions involve controlling for irresponsible distribution with not one effort for confiscation. So the article does nothing to support your belief in "gun grabbers."