Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Netflix is raising their rates while their quality goes down

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/02/tech/...rnd/index.html

Quote:
The email to subscribers is a reminder that each of Netflix's plans in the United States will increase between $1 to $2. The price of the basic plan will rise from $8 to $9 per month, the standard plan that includes HD streaming on two devices will go from $11 to $13 per month, and the price of its premium plan will increase from $14 to $16.
I'm still going to subscribe to netflix, but their rates are going up while they remove quality movies and replace them with in house films. I'm not sure if that is a sustainable business model, charging people more and more for locally made content that isn't as good as the content they had several years ago.

However if any competitor for netflix really enters the market and provides a good list of streaming options, I think netflix will go down. Right now Hulu can't compete (at least on movies, Hulu TV selection is better though) but who knows what'll happen in the future.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-16-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I'm still going to subscribe to netflix
That right there is, literally, all that matters.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

They could cut their library and original content in half, only keeping the things no one watches, but as long as people say "I'm still going to subscribe", they'll keep making money.
If the price is up and the quality is down you're not happy about it, cancel.

Personally, I haven't noticed a decline in quality since the initial move from discs to streaming when we all found out their streaming catalog is nothing compared to the physical discs. Beyond that, I think it's been about the same, if not better since they started creating a lot of their own stuff.

As for Hulu. I think it can compete just fine. If you want TV shows, be it old ones or currently running ones, Hulu is better than Netflix.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 PM

I disagree. I think Netflix is superior in terms of content and certainly in format. I have to use Hulu sometimes when it has something Netflix doesn't, but I find their system incredibly frustrating in terms of ease of use. Given the choice, I would use Netflix.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
That right there is, literally, all that matters.
As I also mentioned, I think another streaming service could replace netflix pretty fast if one made a lot of good business deals.

I'm subscribed to netflix, hulu and amazon prime. Neither amazon prime or hulu offer the film options of netflix. But if netflix keeps raising rates and putting out self made content, then the market will be primed for another company to replace netflix.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I disagree. I think Netflix is superior in terms of content and certainly in format. I have to use Hulu sometimes when it has something Netflix doesn't, but I find their system incredibly frustrating in terms of ease of use. Given the choice, I would use Netflix.
Hulu, yeah kidna, but Netflix's website is utterly unusable. Everything autoplays, everything makes noise. You have to find workarounds to deal with that (add-ons, hovering just for a second etc), but then you see something that looks interesting but you can't find anything out about since clicking on it makes it start playing...and even when you start to get used to it, they change it all up.

Quote:
But if netflix keeps raising rates and putting out self made content, then the market will be primed for another company to replace netflix.
Wait, you think their original content is hurting them? They put out a lot of really good stuff. Plenty of which would be perfectly at home on HBO or AMC or a network station.
I could list examples, but here's the wiki page for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_by_Netflix
Old 04-16-2019, 07:17 PM

There's a reason Netflix is switching to self generated content.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 PM

I was kind of proud to say that I'd never binge-watched a show before, but now I can't say that any more. I've gotten hooked on a couple of Netflix-produced shows.

I'm so cheap, that I've cut cable long ago, dropped Hulu, and I'd love to have an excuse to cancel Netflix. But I'm happier than ever with the movies, TV shows and original shows.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
There's a reason Netflix is switching to self generated content.
Great. Thirteen bucks a month and now I have to make my own fuckin' movies. Or is it just a live webcam feed of me watching myself watching Netflix?

Still, pretty good value.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Great. Thirteen bucks a month and now I have to make my own fuckin' movies. Or is it just a live webcam feed of me watching myself watching Netflix?

Still, pretty good value.
Nope, it's movies made by Bill Self. Mostly basketball practice and wig fitting lessons.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I also mentioned, I think another streaming service could replace netflix pretty fast if one made a lot of good business deals.
I think the impossibility of making good business deals in this context is the reason a.) Netflix is in decline and b.) why nobody is likely to easily replace Netflix. IMHO it looks like streaming services are going to continue to fragment as every studio and TV network now sees it as a potential revenue source. Why sell the rights to air your films to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or anyone else when you can start your own service and charge $5 a month for it?

I believe we're moving towards a more a la carte business model in streaming services. And contrary to some predictions from those clamoring for greater choice( "down with cable packages!" ), I strongly suspect it is going to end up biting the average consumer in the ass.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 04-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I believe we're moving towards a more a la carte business model in streaming services. And contrary to some predictions from those clamoring for greater choice( "down with cable packages!" ), I strongly suspect it is going to end up biting the average consumer in the ass.
I'm hoping it bites the streaming services in the ass.

I'd watch Star Trek Discovery, but I won't pay another monthly fee just for that one show.
I'd watch Teen Titans and Doom Patrol, but again it would be yet another monthly fee.
Soon, Disney+ will have Marvel content I would have otherwise watched. They are promising movie tie-ins. I'll stop watching the movies before I pay another exclusive content subscription.

My family shares passwords, so we all get lots of content. But no one is adding a new network for one or two shows and a single studio library.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Hulu, yeah kidna, but Netflix's website is utterly unusable. Everything autoplays, everything makes noise. You have to find workarounds to deal with that (add-ons, hovering just for a second etc), but then you see something that looks interesting but you can't find anything out about since clicking on it makes it start playing...and even when you start to get used to it, they change it all up.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I use Netflix all the time. All you need to do is mute the sound once and you won't get noise. If you click on something you get a preview pane but I don't find that difficult to ignore while I check out the info on it.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 AM

As far as I can tell, Netflix just keeps getting better and better, especially if you love genre stuff. I'm very happy with the, quite frankly, fucking pocket change even the new price increase would amount to.

If we were having an increase here, which we're not
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. I use Netflix all the time. All you need to do is mute the sound once and you won't get noise. If you click on something you get a preview pane but I don't find that difficult to ignore while I check out the info on it.
You're in the minority. I, like many others, don't want it to play at all. Just present me with a list of still images and if I click on one, take me to a page about that show/movie, don't start playing it. There's countless articles on the internet about their current website design (and how awful it is), their reddit page tends to be full of people complaining about their website, there's a facebook page out there somewhere that IIRC is called 'stop netflix auto preview', there's a change . org petition to get them to knock it off, a twitter page called Stop AutoPreview and netflix's facebook page was, at one point, more people complaining about their website than the typical banter between netflix and it's users that they'd likely prefer.
Given that it would be, or so I assume, absolutely trivial to turn off auto preview or at least at a button for the user to do it on their own AND everytime you adjust your ADP/UBlock settings to stop auto preview those settings don't work after a few months AND people really really hate it but they continue to do it, they must be making a lot of money from those previews. I assume they're getting paid everytime one runs just like a website gets paid for every view/click of an ad.

Also, if you click on the picture, which most people would assume is what you do to read more about it doesn't take you to the page to read more about it, it fires up the player and starts streaming that title. You have to hover over the picture, which starts the auto-preview that no one wants, then you click the down arrow, which doesn't make sense. That takes you to the it's page, which also has an auto preview that no one wants. If you then click the X on the auto preview window, it takes you back to the home page, which doesn't make sense. You can click mute (or have your computer muted) but you still have to see it auto playing which at worst, burns up data and at best is a huge distraction. Personally, I have a very difficult time reading a website when something (usually an ad) is playing a video, blinking or even those sites that have some type of dongle on the left side that moves down with you.

If it doesn't bother you, that's fine, but all this bothers a lot of other people.

I almost never use their website and instead just pull up the app on my TV and hope to find something interesting before I'm sick of scrolling around on a TV.
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if their website design drove away more subscribers than their content.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I agree that their website sucks; luckily, as mentioned, there are Chrome extensions to shut it up. Those extensions don't work on AppleTV, though.

I recently switch my T-Mobile service to a plan that gives me Netflix for free. The transition was flawless, and now I pay less for T-Mobile (veteran prices!), and get "unlimited" data rather than a known cap. Pretty sweet. The only downside is, T-Mobile coverage still tends to suck, but good enough is good enough by definition.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Disagree. Their original content is the best thing about Netflix. The "regular" movies are not top quality for the most part.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:53 AM

When Netflix started to make their own content, I thought, “Oh now they think they can make TV shows and movies. I’ll pass.”

Now if I see something was made by Netflix, I make sure to at least check out a synopsis because I’ve enjoyed most of their original stuff that I’ve watched. Far better on average than what is broadcast on TV networks.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Given that it would be, or so I assume, absolutely trivial to turn off auto preview or at least at a button for the user to do it on their own AND everytime you adjust your ADP/UBlock settings to stop auto preview those settings don't work after a few months AND people really really hate it but they continue to do it, they must be making a lot of money from those previews. I assume they're getting paid everytime one runs just like a website gets paid for every view/click of an ad.
I really really doubt that. At least on the app, these autoplay previews are a pretty recent change, they probably just wanted to make the site more exciting/dynamic. Just took a look and the autoplay on the app atm is the Netflix original about Beyonce. Doubt they're paying themselves to promo that.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 AM

I think a bigger threat is when Disney opens their streaming service and all the Star Wars, Marvel and other Disney stuff disappears from Netflix. They've already cancelled their Marvel shows and most of them were actually pretty good.

I'm actually kind of annoyed with the way the whole streaming industry is going. Instead of just one cable bill, now you have this fragmented ecosystem of various streaming media channels, all with their own programming and library of movies. Plus I STILL need cable if I want to watch Game of Thrones. And for the most part, none of this has become a digital version of the old Blockbuster video store. Where you could walk in one afternoon and rent some old film you hadn't seen in 10 years, or even the latest releases.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

$16 a month is less than the cost for one two-hour movie in my area.

I definitely watch more than two hours per month of Netflix.

Its a bargain.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I really really doubt that. At least on the app, these autoplay previews are a pretty recent change, they probably just wanted to make the site more exciting/dynamic. Just took a look and the autoplay on the app atm is the Netflix original about Beyonce. Doubt they're paying themselves to promo that.
Try browsing their website for a little while. It's awful. And, as I mentioned earlier a lot of people have complained, a lot of articles have been written, a lot of threads have been started and they've refused to even so much as given the option to turn it off. I want to say that actually stated they weren't going to stop it.
I haven't used it on a phone so I can't speak to that, but their website isn't more exciting or dynamic. It's a nightmare to navigate. If you do a quick google search for something along the lines of 'netflix autopreview' you'll see I'm not exactly alone here.

If it was simply to make the site more fun, they wouldn't have any reason not to give all the people that don't like it a way to shut it off.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I think a bigger threat is when Disney opens their streaming service and all the Star Wars, Marvel and other Disney stuff disappears from Netflix. They've already cancelled their Marvel shows and most of them were actually pretty good.

I'm actually kind of annoyed with the way the whole streaming industry is going. Instead of just one cable bill, now you have this fragmented ecosystem of various streaming media channels, all with their own programming and library of movies. Plus I STILL need cable if I want to watch Game of Thrones. And for the most part, none of this has become a digital version of the old Blockbuster video store. Where you could walk in one afternoon and rent some old film you hadn't seen in 10 years, or even the latest releases.
GOT is in HBO, right? You can get HBO and stream it directly from their site without needing to subscribe to it via a traditional cable provider. You can also get it through Amazon and Hulu, I believe. And they all charge around $15/mo or so.
Then, of course (with any of them) you can unsubscribe as soon as the season is over.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Try browsing their website for a little while. It's awful. And, as I mentioned earlier a lot of people have complained, a lot of articles have been written, a lot of threads have been started and they've refused to even so much as given the option to turn it off. I want to say that actually stated they weren't going to stop it.
I haven't used it on a phone so I can't speak to that, but their website isn't more exciting or dynamic. It's a nightmare to navigate. If you do a quick google search for something along the lines of 'netflix autopreview' you'll see I'm not exactly alone here.

If it was simply to make the site more fun, they wouldn't have any reason not to give all the people that don't like it a way to shut it off.
Well, it may be driving traffic the way they want despite how many complainers there are. Maybe they'll change eventually. But autoplay vids are pretty common all over the place, even though everyone hates it. CNN has autoplay vids at the top of every damn article and we can be rather certain it isn't because someone is paying them money to do so.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I am seriously considering cancelling Netflix because I seem to have wanted everything I am interested in. I don't like zombies and other horror type shows. Everything they are making now seems to be very dark (and not just Netflix)

I am waiting for the final season of Orange is the New Black (which has been going downhill in quality) and if don't find anything else I want to watch on Netflix then switching to HBO Now and Showtime through Hulu. There are a few shows on CBS I would like to watch but I am not sure if subscribing would be worth it (as in do they have all the episodes of "the Good life", SWAT etc or only the current ones)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don’t want to steer this away from the OP, but I watch primarily OLD movies, foreign movies, silent movies.

I loved the old Netflix that would mail you things like Cabiria (1914), Island of Lost Souls (1933), Murnau’s Sunrise, Lon Chaney Sr flicks, and any Luis Bunuel movie.

When I go to Netflix on my teevee, they offer me crap made during the past 20 years. I am not interested in watching TV shows, either.

What’s the best way to stream the kind of archaic, pretentious, B&W shit I like? There’s got to be SOMETHING out there for people like me.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
You're in the minority. I, like many others, don't want it to play at all. Just present me with a list of still images and if I click on one, take me to a page about that show/movie, don't start playing it. There's countless articles on the internet about their current website design (and how awful it is), their reddit page tends to be full of people complaining about their website, there's a facebook page out there somewhere that IIRC is called 'stop netflix auto preview', there's a change . org petition to get them to knock it off, a twitter page called Stop AutoPreview and netflix's facebook page was, at one point, more people complaining about their website than the typical banter between netflix and it's users that they'd likely prefer.
None of that demonstrates I'm in the minority. What are the absolute number of complaints relative to users? Really, some people get annoyed about some pretty trivial things. I barely notice the autoplay videos since I have the audio turned off. Maybe you need to switch to decaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK
Well, it may be driving traffic the way they want despite how many complainers there are.
That would be my guess. Companies like Netflix do market analysis. They probably have found that the number of complaints don't warrant changing the practice.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
None of that demonstrates I'm in the minority. What are the absolute number of complaints relative to users? Really, some people get annoyed about some pretty trivial things. I barely notice the autoplay videos since I have the audio turned off. Maybe you need to switch to decaf.
Ya know, it could be that just being in the habit of routinely browsing with your audio turned off PUTS you in the minority.

No worries, I'm right with you in that habit. Just sayin'.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I loved the old Netflix that would mail you things like Cabiria (1914), Island of Lost Souls (1933), Murnau’s Sunrise, Lon Chaney Sr flicks, and any Luis Bunuel movie.
Cabiria (1914).

Murnau's Sunrise

Hunchback of Notre Dame with Lon Chaney Sr.

Un Chien Andalou by Luis Bunuel (1929)

Quote:
What’s the best way to stream the kind of archaic, pretentious, B&W shit I like? There’s got to be SOMETHING out there for people like me.
Most significant movies (and a lot of minor ones) that are now public domain can be found on Youtube and other sites for free. This goes for most movies up until the 1950s. Youtube has a whole channel of Timeless Classic Movies. There's also sites like Free Classic Movies. There's lots of others. To the best of my knowledge these movies are public domain and legal. (Youtube seems to do a pretty good job of removing anything posted where there is a copyright issue.)

I used to get such movies on DVD from Netflix. Once I realized they were generally available for free I stopped wasting a pick on them. The main reason to get the DVD would be the commentary or extras, but increasingly rental versions of DVDs no longer contain these.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-17-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Ya know, it could be that just being in the habit of routinely browsing with your audio turned off PUTS you in the minority.
If so, it probably means that most people aren't bothered by the audio.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thank you, Colibri.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Thank you, Colibri.
Tip: search for "full movie" so you don't just get a lot of clips and trailers. Sometimes you have to go to later pages on Google to find the actual movie. And check that the running time is about that of the original movie.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Tip: search for "full movie" so you don't just get a lot of clips and trailers. Sometimes you have to go to later pages on Google to find the actual movie. And check that the running time is about that of the original movie.
Now....about porn....
Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Moviewise the streaming has never been about the movies .... its the tv shows that you can binge that support the streaming

Actually the whole things a happy accident ..see when they started the streaming a lot of places said "you can't stream the movies" but they negotiated standard tv rerun deals for cheap but put the whole series on at once and discovered people didn't mind watching all 4 seasons of the original roswell or their favorite canceled/finished series and since there wasn't enough episodes for syndication cw/wb ect gladly dumped all their flops for whatever they could get Netflix to pay for them

there was a Netflix service like that ike but apparently, it went out of biz .......

in a thread about the disney+ i mentioned that TCM should make a streaming thing and someone said they and someone else had a partnership service but it was considered expensive and flopped... personally id pay for it tho ..
Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I'm hoping it bites the streaming services in the ass.

I'd watch Star Trek Discovery, but I won't pay another monthly fee just for that one show.
I'd watch Teen Titans and Doom Patrol, but again it would be yet another monthly fee.
Soon, Disney+ will have Marvel content I would have otherwise watched. They are promising movie tie-ins. I'll stop watching the movies before I pay another exclusive content subscription.
It is going to drive people back to piracy. The availability of easy and inexpensive methods to get the media people want led to a decline in piracy rates. Exclusive content across a wide range of services will push people back to piracy. Most of the news articles which discuss the explosion of streaming services, and the consumer frustration with them, fail to acknowledge that one of the biggest competitors the streaming services face is pirating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
I am seriously considering cancelling Netflix because I seem to have wanted everything I am interested in. I don't like zombies and other horror type shows. Everything they are making now seems to be very dark (and not just Netflix)
One major advantage of the streaming services over cable is the ease which you can start and stop subscriptions. I think staying on one for a while, watching what you want, cancelling and switching to another, and coming back in six months or a year is a good strategy. I'm sure if it becomes common the streaming services will start doing contracts, discounts, and other things to try and stop the behavior.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Most significant movies (and a lot of minor ones) that are now public domain can be found on Youtube and other sites for free. This goes for most movies up until the 1950s. Youtube has a whole channel of Timeless Classic Movies. There's also sites like Free Classic Movies. There's lots of others. To the best of my knowledge these movies are public domain and legal. (Youtube seems to do a pretty good job of removing anything posted where there is a copyright issue.)
Those are the same link.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:10 PM

I'm waiting for someone to get the idea of: "hey I can put all of these on a box/chip all at once and then figure out a way they can pay me every month for it then I can figure out how to get them to lease access to me for the various sites........."

And someones going to make millions for guess what?

flippin reinventing the cable company and no one will realize it for about 15 or so years ......

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-17-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Those are the same link.
Sorry. Free Classic Movies.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Now....about porn....
Hey, pal, do you really want to admit you can't find free porn on the internet?

Last edited by Colibri; 04-17-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Get yourself a Roku. Last time I scrolled through the channel list, there were several free channels for that sort of thing that didn't require a cable subscription. B&W Theater is one example.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
https://www.criterionchannel.com, perhaps.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I'm waiting for someone to get the idea of: "hey I can put all of these on a box/chip all at once and then figure out a way they can pay me every month for it then I can figure out how to get them to lease access to me for the various sites........."

flippin reinventing the cable company and no one will realize it for about 15 or so years ......
I read your first paragraph and was about to reply “that’s how cable TV works” before I read the end. I don’t think it’s that unknown.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
Exclusive content across a wide range of services will push people back to piracy. Most of the news articles which discuss the explosion of streaming services, and the consumer frustration with them, fail to acknowledge that one of the biggest competitors the streaming services face is pirating.
Bittorrent traffic is already up, quite probably due to exclusive content across too many platforms.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, pal, do you really want to admit you can't find free porn on the internet?
Well, like my cinematic choices, my taste in porn is, shall we say, rarefied.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Think Zasu Pitts in a Regency gown, tea tree oil, a cricket bat, and a firehose.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM

It just doesn't make any sense to me why the autoplaying video would encourage people to watch. It's not like it's an actual ad that tells you about the show. It's just a clip of the show played out of context, so you don't know what the hell is going on, and thus have no reason to check it out.

I can only think it's not designed for that at all. I think it's just to look flashy. "Look at how advanced our site is! Isn't it worth your money?"
Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Right now Hulu can't compete (at least on movies, Hulu TV selection is better though) but who knows what'll happen in the future.
Hulu's smaller movie selection is actually pretty decent; they've got movies I've actually heard of. Remember the Onion article from 2014, "Netflix Instant Thinking About Adding Good Movie"? Well, all those crap movies are still there, but they're hidden behind a wall of Netflix Original Content.

Besides the autoplaying, another thing that frustrates me about browsing Netflix is its extreme personalization: it only shows you things they think you'd like. Browsing Netflix at the home of a friend or relative is quite an eye-opener; you'll see things that you had no idea were available on NF. I don't want to be the prisoner of my own viewing history.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Hulu's smaller movie selection is actually pretty decent; they've got movies I've actually heard of. Remember the Onion article from 2014, "Netflix Instant Thinking About Adding Good Movie"? Well, all those crap movies are still there, but they're hidden behind a wall of Netflix Original Content.

Besides the autoplaying, another thing that frustrates me about browsing Netflix is its extreme personalization: it only shows you things they think you'd like. Browsing Netflix at the home of a friend or relative is quite an eye-opener; you'll see things that you had no idea were available on NF. I don't want to be the prisoner of my own viewing history.
And keep in mind if you play something, even just for a minute or two (clicked by accident, changed your mind etc) it'll factor that show/movie into your suggestions. On the other end, another very, very easy fix would be for them to stop asking if I want to finish a movie when there's less than a few minutes left in it. If I stopped a movie when the credits started, I'm not likely to 'finish' it.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post

Things like Roku are basically that already. They don't charge a monthly fee but I'm sure they get a cut of whatever streaming is bought through them.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
It was a revelation to me to discover that you don't have to browse TV shows or movies by "Suggestions for You," but you can instead select browsing by lists A-Z (or Z-A) or by year released. I went through the entire catalog that way and added lots of things to My List that had never been suggested to me. I found a lot of good stuff, particularly documentaries.

Quote:
And keep in mind if you play something, even just for a minute or two (clicked by accident, changed your mind etc) it'll factor that show/movie into your suggestions. On the other end, another very, very easy fix would be for them to stop asking if I want to finish a movie when there's less than a few minutes left in it. If I stopped a movie when the credits started, I'm not likely to 'finish' it.
You can take those things off your list of suggestions by going to "My Profile" and selecting "Viewing Activity." It will show a list of everything you've watched and you can remove things from your viewing history by clicking the circle/slash symbol at the right of the line. It will no longer appear as a show you have watched and won't be used to make recommendations.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-17-2019 at 11:55 PM.