Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 AM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 320

Roger Waters-Julian Assange Arrest Proves UK is a SATELLITE STATE OF US EMPIRE!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6smG6po8YVw
  #2  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 AM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,012
Well, heck. I thought everyone knew that.
__________________
"In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves." -- Carl Sagan

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
  #3  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,348
What's Pink Floyd got to do with any of this?
  #4  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,191
I hear they don't like walls.
  #5  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 25,759
Assange is heading for the dark side of Guantanamo.
  #6  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,059
Git-mo gets-him.
  #7  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,777
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
  #8  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 29,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
When The Tigers Broke Free from the movie version of The Wall seems pretty political to me, wherein the common man was cannon fodder for the safe generals.
  #9  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
David Gilmour has pretty much always been an outspoken leftist.
__________________
This can only end in tears.
  #10  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,265
eh, n/m

Last edited by JohnT; 04-18-2019 at 10:42 AM.
  #11  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 AM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,996
'Twas just a momentary lapse of reason.
  #12  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,095
In all seriousness, has there actually been an extradition request?
__________________
This can only end in tears.
  #13  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,123
Satellite? No. More of a comedy sidekick.
  #14  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:29 AM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
Handful of years? I gather you haven't given Amused To Death a listen.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #15  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,777
The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking is as recent as I get. Was that Floyd or Waters solo?
  #16  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness's Avatar
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hollywood Riveria, CA
Posts: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
Not to mention plastering Trump's face on the side of the giant inflatable pig that hovers over the crowd while he played "Pigs" at the Desert Trip festival a few years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
When The Tigers Broke Free from the movie version of The Wall seems pretty political to me, wherein the common man was cannon fodder
How about "The Fletcher Memorial Home" (round up the world's leaders (listed by name) in a home and apply a final solution) or "Not Now John" (distract the proles from their economic woes with bread and circuses or a cool war) off of The Final Cut. Heck, the entire album is a big middle finger to Margaret Thatcher and the Falklands War, so Waters has been political for decades. Gilmour even complained that Final Cut was too politcal.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 04-18-2019 at 11:43 AM.
  #17  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In all seriousness, has there actually been an extradition request?
Yes. It was announced the same day he was kicked out/arrested. A hearing is already scheduled, afaik.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-18-2019 at 11:47 AM.
  #18  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 AM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking is as recent as I get. Was that Floyd or Waters solo?
It's a solo album, released in 1991 or 92.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #19  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Richard Pearse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: On the outside looking in
Posts: 10,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
It's a solo album, released in 1991 or 92.
As I understand it: Waters went to the others with two possible projects, The Wall and what later became The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. They all agreed that The Wall was better and decided to do that as a Pink Floyd album. The Final Cut evolved out of left overs from The Wall, and TPaCoH was later done as a Waters solo album.
  #20  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:41 PM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
Roger was writing anti-war stuff since the late 60s.. I think you and others might notice him being more vocal because of YouTube, and because he can publish something and have it read by millions. I also think he's being called on by the media because a lot of things he's said come to be true, and because he's right on the issues no one else wants to tackle, and I think he has credibility, and so people want to inquire further.
  #21  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
...can someone actually tell us is the link in the OP worth clicking, or should we instead be reporting the OP for spamming? Because I don't have a fucking clue what this is all about, but apparently I might be the only one.
  #22  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Roger was writing anti-war stuff since the late 60s.. I think you and others might notice him being more vocal because of YouTube, and because he can publish something and have it read by millions. I also think he's being called on by the media because a lot of things he's said come to be true, and because he's right on the issues no one else wants to tackle, and I think he has credibility, and so people want to inquire further.
I mean political in that he's now calling out Israel by name, as it cocerns the Gaza situation. That's just one example. Pink Floyd didn't do that, but in Pigs they did mention Mary Whitehouse by name, which is why I mentioned that song. I'm done now with the debate over Roger Waters' political what-have-you.

Last edited by bobot; 04-18-2019 at 07:20 PM.
  #23  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:36 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...can someone actually tell us is the link in the OP worth clicking, or should we instead be reporting the OP for spamming? Because I don't have a fucking clue what this is all about, but apparently I might be the only one.
What the fuck do you think it is? It's Roger Waters giving an interview very sympathetic to Assange wherein he describes the UK as an American lackey.
  #24  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,996
Yeah, like we could get that from the OP.
  #25  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Yeah, like we could get that from the OP.
I agree that link only OPs are lame but yes, coupled with the thread title it's quite obvious. Maybe a colon instead of a hyphen would have been better, I guess.
  #26  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I agree that link only OPs are lame but yes, coupled with the thread title it's quite obvious. Maybe a colon instead of a hyphen would have been better, I guess.
...I don't know if the thread title is being hyperbolic or being accurate or if its the equivalent of "FIFA 2019 Final Streaming Now!" I don't know if when I click the link I'm going to go to a news story or soft-porn or a conspiracy link that will completely fuck up my youtube algorithm. It isn't too much to ask for a bit more information in the OP is it?
  #27  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
...well fuck.

That link is to Russian Today. Literally Russian propaganda.

Don't click the link.
  #28  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...well fuck.

That link is to Russian Today. Literally Russian propaganda.

Don't click the link.
It's fucking youtube and it's actually Waters giving an interview. Jesus, don't click the link if you don't want to but there's no subterfuge going on.
  #29  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I don't know if the thread title is being hyperbolic or being accurate or if its the equivalent of "FIFA 2019 Final Streaming Now!" I don't know if when I click the link I'm going to go to a news story or soft-porn or a conspiracy link that will completely fuck up my youtube algorithm. It isn't too much to ask for a bit more information in the OP is it?
Well, if you can still your quivering, Waters says almost the exact phrase in the title a little over a minute into the video.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-18-2019 at 09:09 PM.
  #30  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
It's fucking youtube and it's actually Waters giving an interview. Jesus, don't click the link if you don't want to but there's no subterfuge going on.
...its the fucking pit, I'll say what I like. The OP linked directly to Russian propaganda and there is nothing wrong with me pointing that out.

Quote:
Well, if you can still your quivering, Waters says the exact phrase in the title a little over a minute into the video.
And how does one discern that from the OP?
  #31  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:17 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
And how does one discern that from the OP?
First step, don't be an intentionally obtuse knob. Well, that's the only step.
  #32  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
First step, don't be an intentionally obtuse knob. Well, that's the only step.
...I honestly don't know what the fuck you are talking about now. The OP posted a link that could have been a link to anything. I asked what the link was about, you claim it was merely an interview, I click on it to find that its from the Kremlin propaganda network. I'm not particularly interested in helping Russian propaganda efforts, that includes not giving them free clicks from blind links. I don't think this was the intention of the OP. But I also don't think my question was unreasonable. I don't know why you are acting like it was.
  #33  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 PM
poweroftheglory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
American news media (Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc) is every bit as propagandist as Russia Today.
  #34  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweroftheglory View Post
American news media (Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc) is every bit as propagandist as Russia Today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
RT (formerly Russia Today) is a Russian international television network funded by the Russian government.

...

In 2013, a presidential decree issued by Vladimir Putin dissolved RIA Novosti and subsumed it into a new information agency called Rossiya Segodnya (directly translated as Russia Today)

...

In October 2017, Twitter banned both RT and Sputnik from advertising on their social networking service amid accusations of Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections, sparking an angry response from the Russian foreign ministry.
...get back to me when you can prove that Fox, CNN, or MSNBC were formed by decree of the President, where they have been classified as "information agencies", or have been banned from advertising on twitter because they were accused of interfering with the US elections.
  #35  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 PM
poweroftheglory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...get back to me when you can prove that Fox, CNN, or MSNBC were formed by decree of the President, where they have been classified as "information agencies", or have been banned from advertising on twitter because they were accused of interfering with the US elections.
So government controlled media = propaganda

Media controlled by a handful of unaccountable billionaires = not propaganda

What does "interfering with US elections" mean anyway? The statement is so vague that it is meaningless.
  #36  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:05 PM
poweroftheglory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
I now I'm coming across as an asshole. But my point is that all media is biased. Russia Today obviously has an anti-american slant. But that doesn't necessarily mean what is reported is inaccurate. You just have to learn to take what is reported with a huge grain of salt. Unfortunately, a lot of left of center journalists are effectively black listed from appearing on American news media (doesn't help that six media conglomerates effectively control the market) and in order to make a living these journalists appear on less than ideal platforms.
  #37  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweroftheglory View Post
So government controlled media = propaganda
...nope.

Your metric was "every bit as propagandist as Russia Today". I agree that all the outlets you mention peddle in propaganda, Fox news worse than most. I disagree that any of them are as bad as Russia Today and I've given some reasons why.

Quote:
Media controlled by a handful of unaccountable billionaires = not propaganda
Strawman.

Quote:
What does "interfering with US elections" mean anyway? The statement is so vague that it is meaningless.
The Mueller Report was released today. Its only a tad-over-400 pages long. It goes into depth what "interfering with US elections" means. If you want specifics then don't rely on me to give you all the answers. Let me know when you've finished reading.
  #38  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think "Pigs( three different ones)" was about as political as Pink Floyd ever got. But the last handful or so years Roger Waters has been stating lots of political views.
Forward, he cried, from the rear
And the front rank died
The generals sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
  #39  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 AM
Northern Piper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: The snow is back.
Posts: 28,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
What the fuck do you think it is? It's Roger Waters giving an interview very sympathetic to Assange wherein he describes the UK as an American lackey.


Who's Roger Waters? And why should I care if he's got a video on YouTube?
__________________
"I don't like to make plans for the day. If I do, that's when words like 'premeditated' start getting thrown around in the courtroom."
  #40  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 AM
Northern Piper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: The snow is back.
Posts: 28,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweroftheglory View Post
So government controlled media = propaganda



Media controlled by a handful of unaccountable billionaires = not propaganda

.

Well, if everything is propaganda, why should I bother clicking on anything?
__________________
"I don't like to make plans for the day. If I do, that's when words like 'premeditated' start getting thrown around in the courtroom."
  #41  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 AM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Who's Roger Waters? And why should I care if he's got a video on YouTube?
Roger Waters was in Pink Floyd, and you shouldn't.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #42  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 AM
Northern Piper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: The snow is back.
Posts: 28,830
Right, that's sorted, thanks.
__________________
"I don't like to make plans for the day. If I do, that's when words like 'premeditated' start getting thrown around in the courtroom."
  #43  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Who's Roger Waters?
Roger Waters is an Asshole.
  #44  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
The Mueller Report was released today. Its only a tad-over-400 pages long. It goes into depth what "interfering with US elections" means. If you want specifics then don't rely on me to give you all the answers. Let me know when you've finished reading.
Specifically the report explains that <redacted>
  #45  
Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Forward, he cried, from the rear
And the front rank died
The generals sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
Great song, in every way.. I love the lyrics,

Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried
"Listen son", said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside

So much said. I'll take it word-by-word. "Listen" is a command. "Son" shows a hierarchy, authority. Implying "man with the gun" suggests there really isn't a choice. "There's room for you inside" - the compromise that kills the souls of many. Like the quote, "Evil can only exist when good men do nothing"
  #46  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 29,642
I always hear it as

Haven't you heard, it's a battle of words
And most of them are lies

Which could work also.
  #47  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Roger Waters is an Asshole.
just take a moment to consider where you would be without an asshole
  #48  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I always hear it as

Haven't you heard, it's a battle of words
And most of them are lies

Which could work also.
Interesting, and truthful.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017