Old 04-19-2019, 09:53 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Yogurt is not delicious

Many commercials for yogurt proclaim that their particular brand is delicious. It is not. With a bit of fruit and sweetener, yogurt is edible, but it is not delicious. People who choose to eat it do so for reasons of nutrition, not tastiness.

A while back there was a commercial running for some off-brand yogurt. In the commercial, a (thin) woman stood in front of a yogurt display in a grocery store, frantically guzzling down a container of yogurt that she had ripped open. See, it was so delicious that shed lost control right there in the store.

The yogurts two big selling points were (1) that a container had only 90 calories, as opposed to other yogurts 100, and (2) that it was so delicious you would lose control.

Im pretty sure that many, if not most, people who consume yogurt are terrified at the thought of losing control when it comes to food especially people who would choose a particular yogurt in order to save 10 calories. And if a yogurt causes you to lose control and make a fool of yourself in the grocery store, whats to stop you from eating two containers . . . or ten?

Amazingly, that commercial did not drive the yogurt producer into bankruptcy. The yogurt is still available, and no, women are not guzzling it down inside the store.

I believe that a big reason people are so crazy and angry is that we live in a culture of lies. We are constantly besieged by companies who think we will believe whatever they say, even when it is obviously untrue. For ogs sake, we are afraid to answer our phones if we dont recognize the callers number. Yogurt should be clean, healthy, ethical. It should not be among the products whose producers choose to constantly suck us into a sea of untruth and manipulation.

Fuck you yogurt.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM

While I'm sure there are people for whom yogurt IS delicious (De gustibus...), I am not one of them. Having tried plain, vanilla, and various fruit-infused yogurts, I know that I hate them all.

I do like some brands of Frozen Yogurt, which convinces me that they did something nefarious to the yogurt, and it probably ended up being Not Good for Me.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:59 AM

Yogurt is one of the most foul smelling stuffs there is, too. Fuck you yogurt-eating-coworker-in-an-enclosed-space jerko!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Yogurt can be good. Especially for people who enjoy acidic/tart flavors.

The problem is, Americans have been trained to only appreciate something that's high in sugar or salt. And yogurt has been turned into a medium for delivering sugars and artificial flavorings.

I used to enjoy frozen yogurt that actually tasted like plain yogurt, with a good bit of acidity. I can't find that anymore in stores.

Last edited by scr4; 04-19-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I prefer kefir to yoghurt. And without added sugar. It makes a great breakfast.

And keep that stinky bacon away from me.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Whatevs. I love buttermilk, and I love yogurt. It's not as good if it's loaded down with sugar and gelatin and other stabilizers, but it's okay even then. When it's fresh and either plain or with just a little bit of sweetener, it's great stuff.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Many commercials for yogurt proclaim that their particular brand is delicious. It is not. With a bit of fruit and sweetener, yogurt is edible, but it is not delicious. People who choose to eat it do so for reasons of nutrition, not tastiness.
Au contraire mon frre!
I actually eat certain yogurts indeed for their tastiness. And I am fully aware that the nutritional value of these type is actually horrible. I therefore eat them more as a dessert and don't even imagine in the slightest that they are anything close to being good for me.
The Noosa brand yogurts are like eating a liquid form of cheesecake. Lots of fats and sugar. Delicious stuff.
The actual "good for you" types of yogurt are nothing anyone would eat and they really don't sell much. A plain unsweetened low fat yogurt is indeed nothing anyone would pretend is delicious.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM

I'm reading this just as I finished my delicious breakfast of yogurt and papaya.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM

I enjoy Greek Yoghurt with honey.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post

The problem is, Americans have been trained to only appreciate something that's high in sugar or salt. And yogurt has been turned into a medium for delivering sugars and artificial flavorings.

I used to enjoy frozen yogurt that actually tasted like plain yogurt, with a good bit of acidity. I can't find that anymore in stores.
Colombo frozen Yogurt used to be of this sort. I see that it's still being sold. Unless they've changed their recipe, this might satisfy you.

I have to disagree about Americans only eating salty or sweet things. I appreciate a variety of flavors. But yogurt ain't one of them.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM

I agree with the OP as far as Greek yogurt goes. Feh.

However if we're going to prevent advertisers from claiming their food products are tasty, the entire economy will collapse and millions will starve.

Yogurt makers are far from the worst offenders. What about wine sellers who declare their stuff has overtones of apple, plum, quinoa, marjoram, nutmeg, sawdust and spaniel ear clippings?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Apparently the OP is triggered by certain types of advertising. I would recommend therapy.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I agree with this assertion. I like plain, full-fat Greek yogurt because it's thick, tart and not sweet. Most yogurts taste like something you would have for dessert. I don't want that for breakfast or even lunch. Sometimes I like to throw a handful of blueberries and some walnuts in. That provides some additional flavor without being too sweet.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM

The only way to make yogurt palatable is to load it up with sugar.

Thanks, I'll pass.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
You would be wrong about that. Yogurt is delicious. It needs to be the full fat kind, not lowfat or nonfat. Fruit and sweetener ruins yogurt (bleah!). Get a bucket of Brown Cow Farms with the cream top. Dish yourself out a bowl. Stir some granola into it. Aaah!!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Huh, I detest yogurt, but it would never occur to me to think other people were lying when they say they find it delicious. (These "other people" include my nine-year-old nephew, who would have absolutely zero reason to say he likes a food if he doesn't.)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM

I eat a "OUI' vanilla yogurt nearly every morning. My sugar is always low in the mornings. It's what I call my first breakfast7
Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Astro Balkan yogurt is my favourite. Thick and tasty with 6% fat. I have yogurt and homemade granola for second breakfast at work every morning. I've been doing this for a couple of years and I still enjoy it. As I pack this and my lunch for work in the morning, I give a spoonful of yogurt to each of the dogs and have one for myself, it's so good.

I like the flavoured yogurt as well, and sometimes buy the snack size tubes to take as a treat for lunch, or just spoil myself and grab a whole tub. Black cherry fruit on the bottom greek yogurt is a total indulgence.

It's a nice bonus that yogurt has some health benefits, but I eat it because I like it, not because I think I should because it's good for me.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Wow. I love yogurt. It's the only cow milk product I eat. The only downside is that our African Grey loves yogurt also. He recognizes the container and demands his share. Some people find this disgusting, since I let him eat from my spoon and then I finish what he can't get.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 PM

Some people are more sensitive to certain flavors than others.*

To me, yogurt tastes overly sour.

* So don't go all "You've never had it made right.", "You're too picky an eater.", etc. Just accept that you aren't them and let it go.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 PM

I can see someone claiming that their yoghurt tastes like delicious, 100% yogurt with no sugar, salt, fruit, or other additives, without being deceptive. Then the customer would expect "delicious yogurt" flavor and not hints of delicious roquefort, delicious paprika, or delicious aubergine.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wow. I love yogurt. It's the only cow milk product I eat. The only downside is that our African Grey loves yogurt also. He recognizes the container and demands his share. Some people find this disgusting, since I let him eat from my spoon and then I finish what he can't get.
I would love to see a video of your African Grey chowing down on some yogurt. Does he verbally ask for his share?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
The actual "good for you" types of yogurt are nothing anyone would eat and they really don't sell much. A plain unsweetened low fat yogurt is indeed nothing anyone would pretend is delicious.
But plain unsweetened yogurt, lowfat or not, is really more of a condiment or an ingredient than a dish. Dolloped onto a bowl of lentil soup, or spread on bread with salt and cilantro, or (guilty pleasure) blended with onion soup mix as a dip for veggies, and so on, it is delicious.

However, I agree that the people who are trying to treat various yogurt derivatives as "healthy"-but-just-as-yummy versions of cream derivatives, such as ice cream, custard, fromage blanc etc., are deluding themselves. Yes, I like the tangy taste of yogurt, but it doesn't really work as a sweet-cream substitute unless you mask the hell out of it with sugar and fruit.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
The only way to make yogurt palatable is to load it up with sugar.

Thanks, I'll pass.
So wrong.

https://cafedelites.com/butter-chicken/
Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I would love to see a video of your African Grey chowing down on some yogurt. Does he verbally ask for his share?
He does not say "yogurt" (yet). He does say chicken wing, pistachio, grapes, cookies, and a few other food words. If I were to say "chicken wing" or "pistachio" right now he would get all worked up.

Here ya go. Sorry for the poor quality gif, it's all I could do right now.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM

That's usually why so many commercial versions have so much sugar in them.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
But plain unsweetened yogurt, lowfat or not, is really more of a condiment or an ingredient than a dish. Dolloped onto a bowl of lentil soup, or spread on bread with salt and cilantro, or (guilty pleasure) blended with onion soup mix as a dip for veggies, and so on, it is delicious.
I made a lamb stew last week and served it with yogurt. Very tasty, like a stroganoff.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
sorry for the poor quality gif, it's all i could do right now.
aww da little yogurt "mustache" on da beak

Last edited by Kimstu; 04-19-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Nearly the entirety of South Asia finds yogurt delicious.

I think a post above got it right that Americans generally aren’t used to sour or tart deliciousness.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:03 PM

In America, yogurt is the greatest supermarket "health food" con of the last 30 years. Look at what "yogurt" people actually buy, it's practically ice cream.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM

Speak for yourself. I LOVE yogurt. Yoplait Whips are my favorite. I also miss their regular, plain old ordinary banana, but they don't make it anymore.

And frozen yogurt...oh my god. Sometimes I want it more than I do ice cream.

So if you don't like it, fine. More for me!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstall View Post
... I have yogurt and homemade granola for second breakfast at work every morning...
Do you do this in the vicinity of innocent bystanders?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
. . . Here ya go. Sorry for the poor quality gif, it's all I could do right now.
Daaaaw! He knows what's good. Thanks for that.

I love plain yogurt, because I like the nutty, tart taste. I also love buttermilk and drink it right out of the carton, since my husband hates it and I know I'll be the only one drinking it.

I like savory yogurt dishes like raita and tzatziki. Yum!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

In fact, just a few days ago I had a tub of Fage 5 percent plain and it was absolutely delicious. Had I not been monitoring my sugar intake, I might have gotten one with honey or blueberry, but it was still delicious on its own.

What I don't get is vanilla flavored yogurt. That doesn't work for me at all. Yet vanilla is far more readily available than plain. Yuk.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My eight year old won't touch cookies, pie, cake, soda, candy or most other processed sweets. His exceptions are lemonades (as in actual lemonades, not Country Time stuff) and yogurt. Everyday is a yogurt when he wakes up and one when he gets home from school.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:03 PM

I knew a recently middle eastern family in hs and they were amazed people ate yogurt straight out of the container and it was flavored ect...

Apparently, in that area, its mainly used in cooking sort of like we use sour cream like in the dishes mentioned above ....

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-19-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
But plain unsweetened yogurt, lowfat or not, is really more of a condiment or an ingredient than a dish.
It's also pretty good as an alternative for milk with cereal- in particular granola and other cereals of that style go well with yogurt instead of milk.

Personally I like it. But then again, I'm one of those people who will drink buttermilk, so I suppose it's just one of those things that you like or you don't.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:44 PM

I don't think advertising is forcing us to live in a culture of lies. Perhaps people do find yogurt delicious unsweetened.

What is far more pernicious is the trend in advertising to make more and more commercials that are utterly disgusting such as the commercial that the OP talks about.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Since this involves the enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a food item, let's move this to Cafe Society (from IMHO).

(And as far as I am concerned, yogurt is just spoiled milk)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As someone who has been known to peel and eat a lemon like it's an orange I think I fall into the "enjoy acidic/tart" category.

But I can't stand yogurt. It tastes like decaying milk to me. If you like it - or even find it edible - good for you but every couple of years I try it again and yep, still hate it.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:53 PM

It is VILE. I'd just as soon mix sour cream with fruit than eat yogurt. I always hear "oh you'll like this kind". No. I even tried some recently that I was TOLD tastes "just like chocolate pudding". No. It tasted like rancid watery chocolate pudding. And I have tried it as a replacement for sour cream in cooking. It's the same awful taste, mixed with savory food.

I love acid. I love tart. I love sour cream! I do not love yogurt.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:53 PM

I have eaten several yogurt brands that were quite tasty.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I enjoy Greek Yoghurt with honey.
Sometimes I add a tiny drop of flavoring: vanilla, almong, lemon-- whatever I have on hand.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:05 PM

to me yogurt is good and filling. It also satisfies a certain craving.

Yogurt good, case closed.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM

I like the tart flavor. I also like the sweetened fruit-flavored kind, but the plain, especially with bread broken into it is quite delicious. Chacun a son gout. I would never criticize you for not liking it, but leave me to my own.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
He does not say "yogurt" (yet). He does say chicken wing, pistachio, grapes, cookies, and a few other food words. If I were to say "chicken wing" or "pistachio" right now he would get all worked up.

Here ya go. Sorry for the poor quality gif, it's all I could do right now.
Nice.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm always amazed at how much parrots, which are most certainly NOT mammals, seem to love dairy products.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I'm always amazed at how much parrots, which are most certainly NOT mammals, seem to love dairy products.
Many birds do. Lots of calcium, to make strong eggshells.

I love yogurt but it's OK if you don't. However, it has to be REAL yogurt and not that gelatin-added stuff.

Is there anyone here who doesn't like cow's milk yogurt but likes those made with goat or plant-based milks? I'm not as fond of those.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:12 PM

Yoghurt raita is great with curry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raita
Lassi is pretty good, too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassi
Old 04-19-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
It is VILE. I'd just as soon mix sour cream with fruit than eat yogurt. I always hear "oh you'll like this kind". No. I even tried some recently that I was TOLD tastes "just like chocolate pudding". No. It tasted like rancid watery chocolate pudding. And I have tried it as a replacement for sour cream in cooking. It's the same awful taste, mixed with savory food.

I love acid. I love tart. I love sour cream! I do not love yogurt.
I have never liked ketchup, and can detect it in microscopic amounts in food. Interestingly, I love BBQ sauce, salsa, sriracha, etc. which contain many of the same ingredients as ketchup.

And I have never seen these yogurt flavors since this thread died. Someone else told me that they were probably marketed for people who like to make vegetable smoothies.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ghlight=yogurt