Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 AM

What movie has changed the most as you've aged and why?

I think this is a really interesting subject and shows something incredibly unique about the nature of movies that I don't think music or even TV shows can really grasp. They can stand so out of time or so in time that, as you age, you're watching a completely different movie.

Ebert has had this happen a couple times I've seen. The second review of The Graduate is much more sober and anti-Benjamin than the first. I see it now, too. Benjamin is a fucking bore and Elaine has no substance at all. Mrs. Robinson is the only cool character out of the lot.

Ebert's love for La Dolce Vita as his secret favorite movie mainly stems from the fact that the movie has evolved as he's evolved as a person.

Note: This isn't a question of "this movie was overlooked at release" or "I now find funny in a kitsch way." It's more about maturity.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Star Wars. What?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Star Wars. What?
Actually, when I saw Star Wars 22 years after its original release, I was fully prepared to see Luke (who had been just a little older than me in 1977) as a young fellow (while he had been a peer in 1977) - but what really startled me was that Han Solo, who I thought of a hardened mature type was in 1999 a baby-faced fellow just slightly more mature than Luke.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:55 AM

I thought Kentucky Fried Movie was the most innovative and funniest movie ever made in all eternity when my aunt snuck me in when I was 10 (why is my computer telling me "snuck" isn't a word?) but found it pretty sophomoric when I encountered it on cable many years later.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Both Caddyshack and Animal House don't seem that funny to me anymore.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 AM

To answer my own question, I really wonder how history will treat American Beauty. In a way, I feel sad that the film will now be so inextricably linked with Kevin Spacey's now-tainted legacy. But, in a way, it feels so poignant that it worked out that way.

I think The Social Network will be an interesting touchstone of an era/time/place. Even now, we're reading into the movie to try to understand what makes Zuckerberg tick. While I don't think it'll even be Facebook itself, the creation of modern social media springs from that movie.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Mine is trivial...Reality Bites.

First it was she made the right choice, then the wrong choice...then...weird how Ben Stiller (sarcasm) got the best parting shots.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post
To answer my own question, I really wonder how history will treat American Beauty. In a way, I feel sad that the film will now be so inextricably linked with Kevin Spacey's now-tainted legacy. But, in a way, it feels so poignant that it worked out that way.

I think The Social Network will be an interesting touchstone of an era/time/place. Even now, we're reading into the movie to try to understand what makes Zuckerberg tick. While I don't think it'll even be Facebook itself, the creation of modern social media springs from that movie.
As far as i can tell history was very quickly unkind. It went from 'this is kinda deep' to 'this is incredibly pretentious' very quickly. But I will always defend the score.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I watched a lot of Caddyshack the other day. Its just as much a great showcase for Murray, Knight, and Chase.

But I never realized its so much Michael O'Keefe's movie.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 AM

When I first saw it, I thought Woody Allen's What's up, Tiger Lily? was incredibly funny. But the years haven't been kind to it. I still think there's a lot that's hilarious in it, but an awful lot falls flat. And when I learned that the film isn't so much a Japanese James Bond imitation as a parody itself, that took a lot of the edge off. It's not hard to make fun of a movie being ludicrous if it's supposed to be ludicrous to begin with.

(The two female leads -- Akiko Wakabayashi (Suki Yaki) and Mie Hama (Teri Yaki) both went on to big roles in the next actual James Bond movie, You Only Live Twice)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:26 AM

It seems comedies fair poorly after a while.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Specially teen comedies if you grew up in the 80s. Revenge of the Nerds? haha, holy shit no.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Specially teen comedies if you grew up in the 80s. Revenge of the Nerds? haha, holy shit no.
Agreed, for the most part.

The other day, BBC America showed two 1980s "nerd" movies back-to-back: Real Genius and Weird Science. Real Genius is still one of my favorite movies from that era, and I think that, for the most part, it holds up pretty well. Weird Science, on the other hand, now comes across to me as hugely exploitative and mean-spirited.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Agreed, for the most part.

The other day, BBC America showed two 1980s "nerd" movies back-to-back: Real Genius and Weird Science. Real Genius is still one of my favorite movies from that era, and I think that, for the most part, it holds up pretty well. Weird Science, on the other hand, now comes across to me as hugely exploitative and mean-spirited.
Yeah, Real Genius is still genuinely enjoyable for me.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM

I don't feel as strongly about these but I think they fit.

Ferris Bueller. I loved it when it was new, but now I go back and forth in my head whether Ferris is a hero or an asshole.

Say Anything. I'm not sure exactly what I thought when it was new, but now Lloyd Dobler just grates on me. He's got that whole young person full of themselves "grown ups ruined the world so I'm not going to be like that" attitude. Plus his famous speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
Doesn't that really eliminate just about everything? Except maybe art. And kickboxing. Maybe. I'd love to see a "where are they now" movie about him these years later. Think he's selling insurance? Or did he get what he wanted?

I wish I could remember which ones, but I know there are movies where I root for the "adults", the teachers, whatever, that I didn't when they were new. Maybe they'll come to me, or someone else will post them.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 04-22-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I remember an interview with Spielberg, maybe on the 30th anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, saying now that he was a father, he can't imagine sending dad Richard Dreyfuss off with the aliens and leaving his children.

StG
Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Blazing Saddles gets better every time I see it, as long as it is unedited. The 'PC' version is unwatchable.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM

The Big Chill. I still love the movie as a whole, but my perspective on certain characters has def changed over the years from my late teens into middle age.

The confrontation between William Hurt and Kevin Kline: "Since when did you get so friendly with cops?" to "Is jail 'something else you wanna try'? 'See what that's like?'" In my younger days my reaction was "Kevin Kline is such a sell-out!" Nowadays it's more like "William Hurt is such a loser!"
Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post
Benjamin is a fucking bore and Elaine has no substance at all.
It's hard to blame Elaine as she's just young, but Benjamin is a lot like Holden Caulfield in that he has a lot of negatives that you just don't grow out of. I have a hard time seeing the maturity arc that would eventually make this person likeable.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Ferris Bueller. I loved it when it was new, but now I go back and forth in my head whether Ferris is a hero or an asshole.
I think I like it better now that I watch it as a movie about Cameron, not Ferris. Cameron goes thorough a journey in the movie, Ferris is essentially the same person at the end as in the beginning.

And speaking of John Hughes movies, I see Christmas Vacation in a different light not that I'm older and have a family of my own. I used to laugh at Clark, now I just feel bad for him.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM

The Breakfast Club obviously affects me differently than it did when I first saw it as a teenager. I don’t see how it couldn’t. The teacher, while not exactly a good guy, does appear more sympathetic in context to me now as an adult.

Comedies like Animal House and Blazing Saddles however, are just as funny to me now. I find it easy to suspend judgement based on today’s criteria of what is offensive. Not that Blazing Saddles is offensive at all - at least to me as a white person. It’s clearly lampooning the racists and portraying them as the fools they were and are. The fact that it uses the n-word iis not bothersome to me, as it would be in other contexts. However, the right people to be the true arbiters of that would be African-Americans.

I agree that Ferris Bueller comes off as much more of an asshole now.

Double Indemnity is one of my favorites, and I think it suffers not a bit from being made 75 years ago. There are scenes where the characters use old recording devices, which I somehow don’t find distracting in the way I do in movies where I see old computers. Not sure if that’s because I am familiar with tech of that vintage, or because DI is such a great movie that one doesn’t care.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Up In Smoke. At 12 years old and being the second R-rated movie I'd ever seen (at the house of a friend who had that new-fangled cable hooked up to the family TV), it was hilarious.
Watching the 40th anniversary edition last year, not so much. For me, drug humor in general hasn't aged well, going from cool and edgy and rebellious to point-and-laugh-at-the-dumbass-burnout.

It was immediately apparent why Cheech had the more successful solo career, as he was by far the better actor of the two. Chong's range wasn't much beyond saying "Oh wow man" and falling over a lot - really, 3 extended pratfall sequences in one movie was 2 too many.
Plus the INS gags were a little uncomfortable in this age. (Cheech's family calls la migre on themselves so they can be deported in order to get a free bus ride to a cousin's wedding in Tijuana - although the sight gag of agents rounding up people in suits carrying presents was still amusing)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Star Wars. What?
Literally, this is the answer. It's not even possible to purchase the original versions of the original trilogy, and whenever original film reels surface, Lucasfilm purportedly shows up like the Men in Black and confiscates them.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
When I first saw it, I thought Woody Allen's What's up, Tiger Lily? was incredibly funny. But the years haven't been kind to it. I still think there's a lot that's hilarious in it, but an awful lot falls flat....
I had exactly the same reaction. I saw it in high school and practically fell off my chair laughing; I saw it again a few months ago and didn't find it nearly as funny (although it had its moments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I remember an interview with Spielberg, maybe on the 30th anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, saying now that he was a father, he can't imagine sending dad Richard Dreyfuss off with the aliens and leaving his children.

StG
From much the same impulse, he edited E.T. for re-release by replacing the government agents' guns with walkie-talkies.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM

re: American Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
As far as i can tell history was very quickly unkind. It went from 'this is kinda deep' to 'this is incredibly pretentious' very quickly. But I will always defend the score.
Thomas Newman is my favorite working composer

(I still like that movie fwiw)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I remember reading that Matthew Broderick refused to do a sequel because he recognized that the character was unlikeable.

And other John Hughes films don't age well. Sixteen Candles, for instance, with the racist portrayal of Long Duk Dong, and that Jake let Farmer Ted take Jake's very drunk girlfriend home, and it's implied, take advantage of her. (Plus Jake's parents' house is absolutely trashed, with what looks like thousands in damage.)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I remember reading that Matthew Broderick refused to do a sequel because he recognized that the character was unlikeable.

And other John Hughes films don't age well. Sixteen Candles, for instance, with the racist portrayal of Long Duk Dong, and that Jake let Farmer Ted take Jake's very drunk girlfriend home, and it's implied, take advantage of her. (Plus Jake's parents' house is absolutely trashed, with what looks like thousands in damage.)
Reminder that he's drunk and underage. She's in big trouble too.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
He did, though. It was called Election.

At least, that's how I interpret that movie.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 04-22-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:

Reminder that he's drunk and underage. She's in big trouble too.
Wait, who is drunk and underage? Farmer Ted? Jake? Because I thought Farmer Ted was sober, which is why he was given the car to drive her home.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I tried watching Porky's again and all I wanted to do is punch the "teenagers" in the face. I say "teenagers" because it's obvious in hindsight that most of the actors are much older than their teens. The movie has not aged well, IMHO.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Agreed, and I'll add The Blues Brothers.

I thought these movies were hysterical when I was a kid. When I watched them again as an adult, I found myself scratching my head trying to figure out why I'd thought they were so funny.

Another movie I loved when I was a kid, and watched over and over, was Weird Science. I have not watched it as an adult, and I don't intend to. Because I'm sure I'll find it dull and offensive, and I'd rather not ruin the memory.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I tried watching Porky's again and all I wanted to do is punch the "teenagers" in the face. I say "teenagers" because it's obvious in hindsight that most of the actors are much older than their teens. The movie has not aged well, IMHO.
While I realize it’s a really strange contest, Revenge of the Nerds was a far better film than Porky’s.

Neither has aged especially well, though Nerds had its funny moments, while I think Porky’s was merely juvenile / raunchy without being very funny at all. The Ogre character still makes me laugh, and John Goodman was amusing in one of his earliest roles (“S@*t, we forgot to practice...”).

The Nerds’ sexual behavior is indefensible, yet they were not entirely unsympathetic characters. But I agree with wanting to punch the people in Porky’s.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 04-22-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Wait, who is drunk and underage? Farmer Ted? Jake? Because I thought Farmer Ted was sober, which is why he was given the car to drive her home.
I thought so too, but in the morning he's just as fuzzy as she is. Headgear notwithstanding.

However, the implication when Jake & Ted are discussing taking her home is that, since she's completely wasted, shenanigans may occur in Ted's favor. Hilarious in 1984, but now it's ... icky.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:30 PM

How about Woody Allen's Manhattan?

Gorgeously shot in black and white, exceptional score. For fans at the time it was peak Woody Allen. For me as a college-aged viewer when it came out, the older man/teen girl relationship didn't stick out so much because I had known a few girls in high school in similar relationships.

But viewed today? Now that I am well into adulthood? Even setting aside the allegations against Woody - hoo boy.

Last edited by Icarus; 04-22-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I was so all about The Crow when it came out. I saw the movie a couple times in the theater, and played the soundtrack every day for a long time. When I went to Seattle many years later, I went and found Brandon Lee's grave.

I bought the BD version a few years ago when it came out. Holy cow, what a bad movie. I thought it would at least evoke the same feelings it did 20 years ago. Nope. It's very over-done and silly.

I still like all the other movies I liked as a kid. I guess The Crow just needed me to be a certain age in a certain place.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I recently rewatched The Thing From Another World (1951), which was one of my favorite scary sci-fi movies when I was a kid. Now that the fact that they burn up the alien ship because they are in too much of a hurry to wait for others to get there, and then not only kill the alien but burn up the body and all traces of it just makes me wince at the loss of knowledge. The scientist who protests against all this is portrayed as being naive rather than being right. (Of course, the premise of the Alien franchise is that some critters are too dangerous to live, but tissues from The Thing could have just been kept on ice.)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

The "dead n***er storage" scene from Pulp Fiction is unwatchable now. I remember thinking it was kinda odd back then, as it didn't really add anything, (not like it was period appropriate for the character), but now? Yikes. Plus, I feel like Sam Jackson's character would've at best called him out immediately upon hearing it, regardless of the nature of their relationship.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I thought so too, but in the morning he's just as fuzzy as she is. Headgear notwithstanding.
Yeah, I had always assumed that Ted was drunk, too (if not as blackout-drunk as Caroline had been). In the morning-after scene, he doesn't seem to remember where he is, or what he'd done with her.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 PM

In a college film class I first saw The 400 Blows. I was all about sympathy for the kid, he had it rough!

Years later, I had a teenager who was taking French, and I thought he might like this movie, so we rented it. Ah, suddenly I saw the kid for the brat he was, a complete troublemaker* who got off way easier than he might have. His poor parents!

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 04-22-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: *Need I add, somewhat like my son?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
The "dead n***er storage" scene from Pulp Fiction is unwatchable now. I remember thinking it was kinda odd back then, as it didn't really add anything, (not like it was period appropriate for the character), but now? Yikes. Plus, I feel like Sam Jackson's character would've at best called him out immediately upon hearing it, regardless of the nature of their relationship.
As a person of much higher than average melanin, I must say that this scene was funny 15 years ago and is still funny now. Please note that I cannot account for the subsequent White Man's Burden Complex or Very Black's Super Hypersensitivity Mode.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Tarantinos entire film career is one giant excuse to say the n word and suck on some toes.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
When he wakes up he cant even remember quite right if they had sex. And regardless was still underage
Old 04-22-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Literally, this is the answer. It's not even possible to purchase the original versions of the original trilogy, and whenever original film reels surface, Lucasfilm purportedly shows up like the Men in Black and confiscates them.
I predict that will change within 2 years. George no longer has any say in the matter, Disney's purchase of Fox gives them clear distribution rights to all the movies, and Disney loves money. I foresee a 9 film box set just in time for the 2020 holiday shopping season, complete with remastered versions of the original trilogy, because Disney knows it will sell and Disney loves money.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'd say, again, the real arbiters of this would be African Americans.

For myself, I still find the scene funny and shocking. I don't know how Samuel Jackson feels about it now, but I do recall reading that he had no issues with the n-word in Django Unchained. Different historical context, of course.

For me, the scene in Pulp Fiction works because normally one would never dare risk offending Jackson's character (Jules). Yet, Tarrantino's character (Jimmy) apparently knows Jules well, has a genuine beef because of the risk being forced upon him and is taking the opportunity to yank Jules' chain. Jules has to push through that while also managing the behavior of Travolta's character. Is it OK for Jimmy to use that word? Probably not. But it's interesting and funny in context. Not for everyone, but it works for me, and again I'm not the proper arbiter of whether it's OK in the larger context.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 04-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness;21603444]I predict that will change within 2 years. George no longer has any say in the matter, Disney's purchase of Fox gives them clear distribution rights to all the movies, and Disney loves money. I foresee a 9 film box set just in time for the 2020 holiday shopping season, complete with remastered versions of the original trilogy, because Disney knows it will sell and Disney loves money.[/QUOTE

One thing I wonder is if Disney owns the rights to the Star Wars Holiday Special? Would they release that on DVD? They could include it as a bonus on your 9 film box set idea/

Last edited by dorvann; 04-22-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As far as i can tell history was very quickly unkind. It (American Beauty) went from 'this is kinda deep' to 'this is incredibly pretentious' very quickly. But I will always defend the score.
I always thought it was a pretentious product of its times, i.e., the prosperous 90s, when it was so easy to make money that people who didn't care to were considered geniuses. Like Babbitt was for the roaring 20s.

An interesting sequel to AB might show Lester Burnham as a faded movie star who went to prison for indulging in his predilection for sex with young people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Apparently, neither had the actors.

Re: Caddyshack vs. Animal House: the humor of Caddyshack was based on perennial class lines, which still holds up pretty well (although the performances by Rodney and Ted Knight may be mostly the reason for that).

In contrast, the battle lines in Animal House seemed more meaningful when we were 18. As the ads said, it was the Deltas against the rules.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I predict that will change within 2 years. George no longer has any say in the matter, Disney's purchase of Fox gives them clear distribution rights to all the movies, and Disney loves money. I foresee a 9 film box set just in time for the 2020 holiday shopping season, complete with remastered versions of the original trilogy, because Disney knows it will sell and Disney loves money.
Except that in 2016, the Turner division of Time-Warner bought the basic cable rights to the Star Wars films. Did Disney buy those rights back?

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 04-22-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Except that in 2016, the Turner division of Time-Warner bought the basic cable rights to the Star Wars films. Did Disney buy those rights back?
I suspect that ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness was referring to physical or digital distribution (i.e., the putative 9-movie boxed set), which basic cable rights wouldn't impact at all.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Not only that, they fare poorly too.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan
Another movie I loved when I was a kid, and watched over and over, was Weird Science. I have not watched it as an adult, and I don't intend to. Because I'm sure I'll find it dull and offensive, and I'd rather not ruin the memory.
I can picture Wez from The Road Warrior telling his "partner" about a less enlightened time before the 'pocylypse when he and some friends went to a party in a Chicago suburb and sub rich punks pulled a gun on him and called them "faggots".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugcqzJTcWE

Quote:
Doesn't that really eliminate just about everything? Except maybe art. And kickboxing. Maybe. I'd love to see a "where are they now" movie about him these years later. Think he's selling insurance? Or did he get what he wanted?
They did. It's called Gross Pointe Blank.

Last edited by msmith537; 04-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.