Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Were the any ways in which "the olden days" were better than today?

It's often said that some Trump voters want a return to the 1950s, and then it's pointed out that the 1950s weren't actually a good time - there was segregation, more racism, more sexism, less environmental protection, etc.

But were there any ways in which the 1950s (or any previous historical period) were actually in fact better than today? I've read that people were a lot more honest back then, something about how "a stack of newspapers could be left in an open vending box for 5 cents each and at the end of the day the vendor wouldn't be short a nickel" (as best as I can recall the quote verbatim.)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Well, in the U.S., tax rates on the rich were much higher and (possibly as a result) there was a much less extreme lopsidedness in wealth distribution in the country. I have this suspicion that Mr. Trump isn't going to do much about this one.

I also suspect that the lack of 24 hour internet/cable news meant that people FELT safer because they we're constantly being exposed to news about the latest improbable disaster or crime.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I was born in '54, so I don't remember a lot about that time. Were "Duck and Cover" drills still a thing? I can speak to the early 60s when I started school, and I'm sure this was valid in the 50s - kids walked to school without their parents fearing kidnappers. I suppose you could argue that things were cheaper, but compared to wages of the day, were they really? I don't know.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

The issue is that for middle class white people, there was a lot to like: full employment with jobs that paid enough to support a family with a single breadwinner, television for entertainment, less worry about pedophilia, etc.

If you weren't white and middle class and above, then things were less good.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The issue is that for middle class white people, there was a lot to like: full employment with jobs that paid enough to support a family with a single breadwinner, television for entertainment, less worry about pedophilia, etc.

And American.

A lot of the reason that the 1950s was so gang-buster for Americans, economy-wise, was that the vast majority of the rest of the world was either incredibly impoverished or had its industry mostly destroyed by WWII.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:41 PM

It wasnt as crowded back then. We had cities but getting out of them was just a short drive. Many peoples homes backed up to open fields.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM

The economy was less financialized?

Stock trading and speculation ( aka: "Wall Street" ) was once a sector of the economy. To hear the talking heads today ( or least couple of decades ), Wall St = "the economy".
Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

At least in the US, crime rates were lower. People didn't live as well, but they were happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk
Well, in the U.S., tax rates on the rich were much higher...
Not really - that is, the effective tax rate on the rich was not that much higher than they are today. And of course there were a lot less rich then.

People had lower expectations, which is not always a good thing but also not always a bad one.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
At least in the US, crime rates were lower. People didn't live as well, but they were happier.
Not really - that is, the effective tax rate on the rich was not that much higher than they are today. And of course there were a lot less rich then.

People had lower expectations, which is not always a good thing but also not always a bad one.

Regards,
Shodan
Your cite does not show that crime rates were lower -- they were between 4.1 and 4.9 per 100,000 in the '50s and they were in that same range in the 2010s. Your effective tax rate for rich people stops before the recent tax law change came in, of course, and is still 6 points higher than 2014. You don't think 6 percentage point higher taxes is that much? Weird. Anyway, tax rates for the very wealthy are lower now than they were in 2014, but I doubt we have the data yet.

Back in the fifties, there were fewer effects of climate change, likely with fewer extreme weather events (although I'm having trouble finding that exact cite).

As other people mention, people sent their kids to school on their own without worrying about it, not because there was any less risk, but rather local events didn't get as much national coverage, so very unlikely crimes remained mostly out of the public conscience.

Back in the fifties, people didn't have to provide tech support for their parent's devices, because those devices didn't exist yet.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM

It was much easier to get a job. You'd look at the classified ads in the paper, fax over your resume, get a phone call, go over for an interview, rinse and repeat until someone hired you. It would take a couple of weeks to a month to get an offer if your references were good.

Now, forget it.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Less worry about pedophilia, but so much pedophilia!

Really I can think of only one metric that was better: less people.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:40 PM

The balance between income and cost of living allowed for a single breadwinner to support a family. And, a person without post-secondary education could earn a decent living (again, able to support a family). That was partly the availability of well paying manufacturing jobs, and partly that mid-level office jobs didn't require a degree. I would say that these were objectively positives. Now, saying that these jobs weren't available to women or people of color doesn't negate that they existed.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Right. So the top 1% are richer now, so they should be paying much higher tax rate than the top 1% in the 50s (that's how progressive tax rates work), but they aren't.

Last edited by scr4; 04-23-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Well, it was allegedly pretty nice back when we were all subsisting as hunter-gatherers and just ate what was already growing or roaming there. No android phones or 18 year old scotch or Beethoven string quartets, and the medical care was pretty asysmal, but the work week was akin to a half-day's effort spread out over a week. Less violence, and what violence there was was less ubitously at the hands of our own species. Life out in nature, pristine and beautiful (albeit also sometimes deadly and definitely untamed).
Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Polio.

Polio was good...
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Right. So the top 1% are richer now, so they should be paying much higher tax rate than the top 1% in the 50s (that's how progressive tax rates work), but they aren't.
Ooh, that's an excellent point that I should have picked up on. Tax-whiny sites like taxfoundation.org also complain that the very richest also pay a larger share of the taxes now -- of course they do, they have a much larger share of the income than they did in the good old days. Their share of the tax burden has increased slower than their share of the income.

One way that the olden days were better is that people shared the same reality. Everyone watched the same news and got mostly the same information. Those news outlets tried to be careful and issued corrections. Now, people get their news from many sources, many of which are little more than someone ranting, or, worse, actively distributing misinformation. So, people are in their own reality bubbles where climate change is a hoax, the earth is flat, people never visited the moon, Seth Rich was murdered because he leaked e-mails, and so on.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
It's often said that some Trump voters want a return to the 1950s, and then it's pointed out that the 1950s weren't actually a good time - there was segregation, more racism, more sexism, less environmental protection, etc.

But were there any ways in which the 1950s (or any previous historical period) were actually in fact better than today? I've read that people were a lot more honest back then, something about how "a stack of newspapers could be left in an open vending box for 5 cents each and at the end of the day the vendor wouldn't be short a nickel" (as best as I can recall the quote verbatim.)
No. None. Not even for the rich, elite white folks was it better in any sort of quantifiable way. The country was poorer in every way in the 50's than it is today. It was sicker as well. People died younger and from things that can be cured today. An average person today has access to goods and services from across the globe that even the richest person in the 50's didn't. Just like in the 50's the average person had access to goods and services that even the very elite a 100 or so years before had access.

Consider your newspaper example. 5 cents was the equivalent of $.50 today, but that's just inflation. The average annual salary in the early 50's was a touch over $3k per year, or about $1.75 per hour...and, of course, you had to work a hell of a lot harder for that buck 75 then than you do today, and there were fewer goods and services available. Today, it costs something like $2 for a news paper, but the average hourly rate is close to $30/hour...and, you can get your news from around the world pretty much for free. Your entertainment options, including the news, are essentially, things folks in the 50's couldn't even dream about. The real world purchasing power of your dollar today wrt what you can actually buy is off the charts compared to what people in the 50's, even rich people, could get, pretty much across the board.

It was also riskier, as a lot of the safety stuff we take for granted wasn't there for most workers, regardless of skin color. Life in general was more dangerous, with the death rates for just about everything being higher...tobacco deaths alone were higher in total (with a smaller population) by several hundred thousand, as were deaths due to auto accidents.

People who look back on the 50's or, really, any time in the past and think, man, it was better then, are looking back with heavily tinted rose colored glasses. Things weren't better in the past...generally, they sucked, even for the elite. They generally didn't suck as bad as going back even further in the past, which is why folks in the 50's thought they were so much better off...they were recalling how shitty things were when THEIR parents or grandparents were growing up and thinking, man...it's a hell of a lot better now (but...maybe it was better in the 20's, or in the 1800's, or...or...or... ).

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM

In the past there was still hope for a better future. Now there isn't.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Movies were better.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

was born in 1954, my grandmother in 1904. She once told be that she did not believe in the good old days. She liked voting, airconditioning, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines and dryers, all that stuff. Oh, and good medical care in hospitals, with open heart surgery and so on. She also said she did not believe people were nicer when she was a kid, telling me some stories about criminal trials and what she knew about the stories behind them.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
In the past there was still hope for a better future. Now there isn't.
Wow - great answer.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
She also said she did not believe people were nicer when she was a kid, telling me some stories about criminal trials and what she knew about the stories behind them.
I'd love to hear about this.. Stats don't have much life as stories, and I'm very curious being born in the early 80s.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
It appears like many, perhaps enough people to elect a president, sees that as a feature and not a bug. People really do support "segregation, more racism, more sexism, less environmental protection, etc." and see it as a positive. The environmental aspect is easy to see in statements like "drill baby drill". Sexism, many believe that women are to be subservient to men and that 'grab them by the pussy' is what should be. I don't even what to have to think about the return of KKK orgs.

For them it was better back then when they were the elite white male class, and that is what Trump is playing to and has their vote.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I don't know what was different about cigarettes back then, but they were clearly healthier. Nowadays, there's warnings on the packs about death and cancer and birth defects, but back then, doctors used to advertise for smoking. What a world that must have been.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Movies were better.
In what way? Also, your access to them was far, far more limited. And there were a lot fewer of them. My guess here is you are cherry picking the few really, really exceptional movies and then saying they were all better, not realizing there were plenty of stinkers and that there were just a lot fewer options.

It's funny, but even the richest person back then couldn't bring up a list, world wide, of all the movies out for the past 50 years and choose to watch any of them any time they chose. They could, maybe, have someone set up a projector and watch a movie, maybe, in their own room set up for that...and the experience would suck.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:37 PM

I wonder if maybe the rise in mental stress these days is partly related to how complex society has become. With many things, you can be overwhelmed by the variety of choices, or have to consider numerous factors for this or that, whereas in the old days things were more simple, clear-cut and direct. Perhaps a lot less fair in the old days, but at least, fairly simple and easy to understand. Back then, the expectation was go to school, get married, have kids, work a stable career (maybe always with the same employer), retire and die. Men were men, women were women. Fads were relatively few and far in between. Many people never traveled outside of America. Now some people become Internet sensations or millionaires in their teens, you can get doxxed on the Internet by complete strangers, there are 57 (or however many) genders instead of two, many people job-hop every few months or years instead of sticking with the same employer or career, many people don't get married until their 40s or perhaps even ever, what's popular today can be out of style or even looked down upon tomorrow, you get exposed to far more different ideas, many Americans travel to many nations abroad even at a young age, etc. It just is befuddling or perhaps overwhelming to some.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
It was much easier to get a job. You'd look at the classified ads in the paper, fax over your resume, get a phone call, go over for an interview, rinse and repeat until someone hired you. It would take a couple of weeks to a month to get an offer if your references were good.

Now, forget it.
I don't remember fax machines in the 50s, but maybe that's because of all the drugs in the 60s.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

Now, forget it.
1. You'd fax over your resume in the 50s, would you?

2. It simply was not easier to get a job. The unemployment rate was VERY low in the early 1950s but by the latter part of the decade it was actually higher than it is now, and of course the work force at the time disproportionately was made up of men; it was vastly harder to get a job if you were a woman, and the jobs you could get were much more limited.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 PM

There's no question that in most places and overall, the situation was better for wildlife and the environment in general back when the earth had less than half the nearly 8 billion humans that it supports today.

Yes, back then there were a bunch of specific environmental problems that have now been fixed, but the sheer magnitude of the pressure on most of the non-human world was considerably less. Most humans nowadays interact physically with a comparatively very impoverished natural world, even though it's much easier for us to see the natural world (including various extremely rare and magnificent bits of it) in virtual form.

(this post has been brought to you by childhood memories of hearing the call of whippoorwills in the night)

Last edited by Kimstu; 04-23-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I wonder if maybe the rise in mental stress these days is partly related to how complex society has become. With many things, you can be overwhelmed by the variety of choices, or have to consider numerous factors for this or that, whereas in the old days things were more simple, clear-cut and direct. Perhaps a lot less fair in the old days, but at least, fairly simple and easy to understand. Back then, the expectation was go to school, get married, have kids, work a stable career (maybe always with the same employer), retire and die. Men were men, women were women. Fads were relatively few and far in between. Many people never traveled outside of America. Now some people become Internet sensations or millionaires in their teens, you can get doxxed on the Internet by complete strangers, there are 57 (or however many) genders instead of two, many people job-hop every few months or years instead of sticking with the same employer or career, many people don't get married until their 40s or perhaps even ever, what's popular today can be out of style or even looked down upon tomorrow, you get exposed to far more different ideas, many Americans travel to many nations abroad even at a young age, etc. It just is befuddling or perhaps overwhelming to some.
In many ways, life is much easier now, possibly even simpler. If I wanted some obscure part for some device then, I had to search the back of trade magazines, classifieds, etc. Now, get on eBay and you're good. Forget to take money from the bank on Friday? I guess you're out of luck for the weekend - now, I pop over to the ATM, or just use a card. Every month, you're writing checks, rather than just autopaying. Need some information? Off to the library, or if you had money, your encyclopedia. Now, just open up Wikipedia. Photography is much, much simpler. Food gets delivered to your door if you want.

All seems simpler and more convenient to me.

Last edited by RitterSport; 04-23-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM

College and healthcare were incredibly cheaper. You could pay for college by working part-time during it.

You could get away with crime way easier (back before states actively shared information and also way WAY before the use of computerized central databases)

There was a brief respite from people advocating for pure Communism due to how obviously evil the Soviet Union was.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Polio.

Polio was good...
I miss seeing little old men and little old women with bandy legs. Bring back rickets, I say!
Old 04-23-2019, 05:41 PM

Fewer incels.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I've read that people were a lot more honest back then, something about how "a stack of newspapers could be left in an open vending box for 5 cents each and at the end of the day the vendor wouldn't be short a nickel" (as best as I can recall the quote verbatim.)
The newspapers surely weren't more honest back then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
It has become a sarcastic proverb that a thing must be true if you saw it in a newspaper. That is the opinion intelligent people have of that lying vehicle in a nutshell. But the trouble is that the stupid people who constitute the grand overwhelming majority of this and all other nations do believe and are moulded and convinced by what they get out of a newspaper, and there is where the harm lies.
(and I have my doubts about the people...)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM

Fewer food allergies, or at least seemingly fewer.

I think it's probably true that people in general were more optimistic -- the war was over, the US was investing in infrastructure, the military, and the space programs. Brown vs. Board of Education even probably gave African Americans reason to hope that things were going to be better. I don't think that there were whole sections of the media dedicated to making people angry and pessimistic (Last Week Tonight, Bill Maher, parts of Fox News, talk radio, probably MSNBC if anyone watched it). (On that topic, I don't understand why people spend so much time consuming media that is designed to piss them off)

Countering that, though, was a real fear of nuclear war, real fear that communists were everywhere and had infiltrated our government and other institutions, lots of terrible diseases still around. Contemporary works like The Crucible and Death of a Salesman seem to indicate that things weren't really that great -- one talked about the quiet desperation that a middle class white man lived with and the other was about the red scare. I honestly don't really watch or read much from that particular time period -- were other contemporaneous works generally more optimistic, less dystopian? Sci-fi from that time period did seem much more optimistic and much less dystopian, I guess.

Most of this is from the point of view of a straight white male. Minorities, women, LGBTQ people all had it much, much, much worse back then.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I don't remember fax machines in the 50s, but maybe that's because of all the drugs in the 60s.
So okay, when I read the thread title "olden days" I was thinking my olden days of the late seventies/early eighties. Excuuuuuuuuse meeeeeee...
Old 04-23-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Just because there was less worry about pedophilia didn't mean it wasn't going on.

In many parts of the U.S., there was also a lot of prejudice against Jews and Catholics, among other religions.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I remember one liberal commentator (it might have been in one of Al Franken's books)saying that a lot of the conservatives who wish for a return to the 1950s were all children in that era and everything seems a lot simpler when you were a kid.

I know as a child of 1980s it does seem at times that the 80s were better time than the present day. But actually thinking about objectively makes me realize today is a lot better in most ways. Improved health care. The Internet(access to unlimited shopping options, access to more news sources, access to soo much information it's easier to become overloaded.)

Last edited by dorvann; 04-23-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I'd love to hear about this.. Stats don't have much life as stories, and I'm very curious being born in the early 80s.
I've had people who were your age or younger tell me, a tail-end-of-the-baby-boomer, that they wish they had been alive during the 1980s, or could remember it. I reply, "No, you don't. AIDS, Reagan, Chernobyl, the Cold War, etc. Enjoy the music and laugh at the fashions, and be grateful you missed it."

I have been told the same thing about the 1960s. The main thing I remember about it was watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon, and I was as excited about that as I was about being allowed to eat breakfast in the living room.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Now, forget it.
It was also much easier to study and qualify for a better job, at least a better one than your parents probably had. Most any college degree would put you in the running for a middle class income while you were young. You didn't have to be in the top tier like kids today do.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM

More children lived with both their parents in "the olden days". I think that was something that was pretty unambiguously "better".
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
1. You'd fax over your resume in the 50s, would you?

2. It simply was not easier to get a job. The unemployment rate was VERY low in the early 1950s but by the latter part of the decade it was actually higher than it is now, and of course the work force at the time disproportionately was made up of men; it was vastly harder to get a job if you were a woman, and the jobs you could get were much more limited.
Wasn't the (un)employment rate calculated using men only? I do know that until the mid 1970s, only a husband's income was used by many financial institutions when it came to mortgages, etc.

"Back then", it was also not unusual for the woman to not work outside the home, but her husband had two FT jobs. In addition, she may have contributed to the family income by selling eggs or vegetables, doing custom sewing or photography, looking after other people's kids, etc.

I do agree that it was "easier" to get a job because all you had to do was walk in and fill out an application (until about 10 years ago) and not have to go through 10 layers of algorithms only to find out that they never got yours after all.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 04-23-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
More children lived with both their parents in "the olden days". I think that was something that was pretty unambiguously "better".
Not if they were living with miserably unhappy parents who did not want to stay together, but did because they had to, for any number of reasons. Go back a little farther, and you'll find just as many kids who had just one parent, or no parents at all, because the parents had died from diseases nobody gets now, or we can treat if they do, or in accidents that wouldn't happen now because of safety regulations.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 PM

THe one solid thing that I know was different : obesity! Everyone, young and old, on average, was ~30 lbs lighter or more. This affects me today because as a man who has a strong preference for skinny women, I face immense competition for the women I prefer. So much so that I've found it more expedient to just take dating trips in Eastern Europe because my odds in the USA are abysmal. The numbers are just too against me. (the number of rivals I would be facing for the kinds of women I prefer, the fact that I'm a little below average height which knocks me out of the running for most of them, and so on)

Quote:
On the other side of things: there were less good things you could even buy. You had a television. And 3-5 channels and later a VHS player.

No internet, no netflix, no personalized channels, no HD quality, tons of ads, a fuzzy picture, stereo sound at best, no voice assistants. If you wanted to read a specific book you better either already have it or hope your local library/bookstore has it in stock, or you'd have to wait.

Want to talk to someone? Better get to like your neighbors because that's all you got.

Also you were shortening your lives by a solid 10 years with that cloud of toxic cigarette smoke. And there were probably more active pedophiles then than there are now, you just didn't know how common they were.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
THe one solid thing that I know was different : obesity! Everyone, young and old, on average, was ~30 lbs lighter or more. This affects me today because as a man who has a strong preference for skinny women, I face immense competition for the women I prefer. So much so that I've found it more expedient to just take dating trips in Eastern Europe because my odds in the USA are abysmal. The numbers are just too against me. (the number of rivals I would be facing for the kinds of women I prefer, the fact that I'm a little below average height which knocks me out of the running for most of them, and so on)

On the other side of things: there were less good things you could even buy. You had a television. And 3-5 channels and later a VHS player.

No internet, no netflix, no personalized channels, no HD quality, tons of ads, a fuzzy picture, stereo sound at best, no voice assistants. If you wanted to read a specific book you better either already have it or hope your local library/bookstore has it in stock, or you'd have to wait.

Want to talk to someone? Better get to like your neighbors because that's all you got.

Also you were shortening your lives by a solid 10 years with that cloud of toxic cigarette smoke. And there were probably more active pedophiles then than there are now, you just didn't know how common they were.
VHS players would be much, MUCH later...like 20+ years (they were commercially available in the US, IIRC, in the late 70's). And those would have been really expensive, so not something any but the richest would have initially. As for channels, you have to consider something else...at that time, they didn't even have those channels on the air 24/7. This would, again, not happen until the 70's...as I kid, once we COULD get a TV, I recall stations going off the air at night still.

I don't think people today can really understand what it was like for everyone during that time.

As for employment, sure...during (at least part of) that time, there was essentially full employment (for white males) in the US. We were still one of the few games in town, after all. But most of that work was soul crushing manufacturing that was dirty and dangerous, so not sure how this is viewed as a plus. I agree that the obesity thing was a differentiator. The US had been under fairly stiff food restrictions, including meat, butter and sugar, and the labor was a lot less sedentary then, so folks were, indeed, thinner (though not as much as folks in other countries during this period). But they weren't healthier, despite that and despite their diet being better than today. But that's one I hadn't thought of.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well. when she was a teen a local farmer went on trial for the murder of a traveling salesman. The dude had messed with his only daughter, who was kind of slow, like Forrest Gump. He got acquitted by the jury of his peers, probably because they thought the molester had deserved it. But he lost the farm because of the cost of the lawyer. This would have been about one hundred years ago now.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 PM

After having watched that movie "Best of Enemies", which was set in the 1970s, I'm thinking the best thing about the "olden days" was that people could take off from work for ten days without worrying about losing their jobs!

I know the film was fictionalized in a lot of ways (before anyone scolds me for taking it too seriously). But still, the film reminded me we haven't always lived such crazy busy lives.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 PM

They had gros michel bananas, which are considered superior and are now almost impossible to get.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Friend of Cecil

In many states, there were anti-miscegenation laws. I think that puts away the notion of good-old days right there. I think it’s possible people were happier, it’s also possible they just bitched less, because of cultural norms and their lack of our near infinite outlets for said bitching.
If you could magically be transported, you might be happier, but you would be so for a shorter life. And only if the magical transportation erased all memories. If you were transported with memories, you might make some great bets and strike it rich, but you would be missing an ungodly amount of things that make present day life, well, better.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Any time before the old days ended, and I mean not to long ago, by internet standards, when people moved away, they moved awwaayy. Maybe never see them again, always a possibility, but generally you didn't hear from people for a long time. Telephones came along and everyone would gather around for a [I]long distance call[I]. Everyone got ten or twenty seconds to say, Hello. How are you. I am fine. Nowadays, the kids have all split to Idaho, but we face time every day. See the grandkids growing up in real time. Yeah I miss the old days.