Old 04-23-2019, 05:40 PM

DrDeth vs Hurricane Ditka: who's the bigger troll?

Discuss.

There are many similarities. Both are fanatically committed to their partisan POV, yet unable to defend their beliefs other than by repeatedly parroting canned talking points. Neither have any shred of intellectual integrity. and habitually engage in breathtaking flights of hypocrisy. Both routinely lie, change the subject and invoke strawman arguments when it's pointed out that they are wrong. Both constantly derail threads by coming in and saying the same stupid shit they say in every thread. Both, at the end of the day, are dumb as fucking rocks.

On the whole, I think I actually prefer Ditka. At least he can write grammatically correct sentences and often provides actual cites for his claims; his cites rarely prove what he thinks they do, but at least he takes that little bit of effort to pretend to be trying to have a real discussion. Also, he can discourse on a slightly broader range of topics than DrDeth, who AFAICT never has anything to contribute to any discussion other than "Progressives are eeeeevil!"

OTOH, DrDeth serves the useful purpose of preventing Democrats from getting smug and thinking that all the idiots are on the other side. That's, I suppose, something.

If you've read one DrDeth post, you've pretty much read all of them, but this thread gives a representative example of his act, including, at post 133, the all time classic line "So taking money from Big Oil can mean you are into Green Energy." Ditka...eh, he's already got a whole thread here.

But why choose just one? There's no shortage of room on the ignore list!
Old 04-23-2019, 05:44 PM

DrDeth is just stupid. HD is the troll.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 PM

I cant think of anything that would offset Ditka's OKC bombing "wasn't completely unreasonable" comment.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
If you've read one DrDeth post, you've pretty much read all of them, but this thread gives a representative example of his act, including, at post 133, the all time classic line "So taking money from Big Oil can mean you are into Green Energy."
I don't think anything Doc posts will top his claim that every single instance of a character smoking on the big screen or small screen was paid for by Big Tobacco.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
But why choose just one? There's no shortage of room on the ignore list!
Be careful what you wish for.
"Quando dio vuole castigarci, ci manda quello che desideriamo" (mandatory West Wing quote)

Ignore them at your peril, indeed "ignore them" is a key contributor to why a profoundly mis-qualified candidate waltzed through your supposedly rigorous primary process all the way to the White House.

Regard their divergent views as functioning as a political coalmine canary.
Yes, they regularly shit in their cages and need to feed them and their welfare attended to, and you mightn't like their song much either but if they cark it, you are in really deep trouble.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That's...quite a thread. Still, he did manage to write an OP on a subject unrelated to the evilness of Bernie Sanders, so I guess he's not quite as much a one-trick pony as I'd thought.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM

No matter who you compare, anyone that refuses to participate in the Pit is King Supreme Douchebag.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM

This is a fun bookend to the Big Oil quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
It is interesting that many posters seem to trust Big Tobacco, the people known for lying over and over and over.
So, tobacco companies bad, oil companies paragons of honesty. Got it.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Well, as usual I'll go against the grain. I don't think either is a troll. There have been posters I suspect are trolls, or who act like them from my perspective, but neither of these guys would be on my own list, FWIW (probably not a lot ). I think they just are coming at things from so different a position and world view that many on this board really can't even grasp it, so it seems trollish to them.

I think there are things they could be Pitted over that the OP could do, but trolling ain't one of them, at least IMHO.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 PM

ditka reminds me of december ...but ditkas posts dont have that "fading memory of an old man" quality that december's did
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM

To me a troll is just someone who winds people up for no apparent reason. I don't think either are trolls. Their online personas might be watered down versions of who they are in real life, but it wouldn't surprise me if what they say online is the same as what they say in person.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
No matter who you compare, anyone that refuses to participate in the Pit is King Supreme Douchebag.
Nonsense. Screaming insults at people can be fun, but has nothing to do with the core values of SDMB.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Nonsense yourself, Motherfucker. Respectfully.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Which is a bigger troll? ISTM a grounding in transfinite mathematics might be required to make that determination.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:59 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

And Dit pulls ahead in the race with this bit:

Quote:
some silly-ass degree in whatever "studies"

He, of course, doesn't get that accredited degrees have requirements for the aspiring student to earn the things. Also, just because one has a degree that specifies a particular field of study does not mean the degree-holder will be limited to jobs in just that sector of the job market. The fact that the degree-holder now holds a degree will make them more attractive for employment outside of the focus of the degree, with a few obvious exceptions (as a linguistics major, there's no way I'll be working on a nuclear power plant, for example).
Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 AM

Hurricane dickhead is a trolling cunt, Dr Deth just has mental issues.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM

DrDeth vs Hurricane Ditka

Cage Match Pay Per View.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Cage Match Pay Per View.
Loser has to leave the board?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

They're equally special, but for now I prefer ignoring HurricaneDitka's posts the old-fashioned way.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I haven't dealt with Ditka too many times and the handful of times I've found myself in a thread with DrDeth I quickly learned that if you don't quote him, don't reply to any questions he directs at you and generally just ignore him, he'll focus his energy on another poster. Of course, like any other similar posters, as long as someone continues to interact with him, he's not going anywhere.

The problem is often times you don't even realize you're playing right into his trap or if you've never dealt with him you don't even realize what's going on until you're a dozen back and forth posts into it and you're sitting there going 'wtf is this guy going on about'.
But if you learn to recognize the signs and you have the discipline to stop responding they'll leave you alone.

Dio really gets all the credit for teaching me this important lesson.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:37 AM

In other words, if you carefully step around the shit in the room then you won't get shit on your shoes.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

More like a room in which everywhere you try to step, the same turd is there asking another stupid question.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 AM

HD is by far worse because he clearly has an agenda that he is achieving through trolling. When there is a discussion that is critical of the GOP, HD comes in to shut that conversation down. He will post relentlessly not making much sense until everyone is talking about his posts rather than the criticism of the GOP. Because there is clearly a board policy not to moderate him*, he gets to do this again and again. If you told me that he was being paid by the GOP to troll the internet and shutdown criticism, it wouldn't surprise me. DrDeth is just stupid.

*As to why there is a board policy not to moderate him, my working theory is that they are sensitive to the whining by the conservative snowflakes on this board that we're mean to them and in the interest of appearing fair, they let HD troll uncontrollably.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 AM

I think it's because the moderators wisely don't consider "Posting something I disagree with" as trolling.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I think it's because the moderators wisely don't consider "Posting something I disagree with" as trolling.
What about making a joke about the New Zealand mosque shooting a couple days after they happened in an unrelated ATMB thread? Sure sounds like trolling that would get a lot of people a warning, but not your pal.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Cage Match Pay Per View.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
Loser has to leave the board?
If the Dr loses, she has to smoke a pack of camels.
If the Blowhard loses, he has to campaign for Bernie.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
What about making a joke about the New Zealand mosque shooting a couple days after they happened in an unrelated ATMB thread? Sure sounds like trolling that would get a lot of people a warning, but not your pal.
Depends. Do you have a link? Black humor isn't always humorous to everyone, but certain people do it as a coping mechanism. I've seen it a lot in my lifetime. To someone who doesn't get or doesn't want to get black humor it would seem to be trolling, even if it's not.

Or, he could be trolling and I missed it. I won't rule that out. I just won't jump to the conclusion of trolling without seeing the link in the context of the thread.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
And Dit pulls ahead in the race with this bit:

He, of course, doesn't get that accredited degrees have requirements for the aspiring student to earn the things. Also, just because one has a degree that specifies a particular field of study does not mean the degree-holder will be limited to jobs in just that sector of the job market. The fact that the degree-holder now holds a degree will make them more attractive for employment outside of the focus of the degree, with a few obvious exceptions (as a linguistics major, there's no way I'll be working on a nuclear power plant, for example).
Why not? I majored in Theatre Arts and Music, and I wound up operating a nuclear reactor.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the Dr loses, she has to smoke a pack of camels.
If the Blowhard loses, he has to campaign for Bernie.
If they tie, we all have to blow a pack of camels.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that joke was about the inane attempts at censorship by the New Zealand government, and not about the shooting itself.

And a Mod did give him a Mod Note, so there's that.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 AM

If he wasn't one of the protected, it would have been a warning.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Why not? I majored in Theatre Arts and Music, and I wound up operating a nuclear reactor.
I don't know if I should be hopeful or worried...

Old 04-24-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
On the subject of camel penis:

Quote:
60 cm long and shaped like a sickle. A necessary design since a camel normally pees backwards and the penis needs to curve round and up to be inserted in the vulva, a clumsy business which needs a few shuffles, exploratory pokes and sometimes the helping hand of a Bedouin. The male now shifts his gaze into the distance, his nostrils quivering and saliva drooling, while the female bellows and groans and twists round to bite his neck. It can last up to 40 mins before the male finally releases his grip and tumbles sideways onto the ground, a spent camel.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Quote:
Quote:
60 cm long and shaped like a sickle. A necessary design since a camel normally pees backwards and the penis needs to curve round and up to be inserted in the vulva, a clumsy business which needs a few shuffles, exploratory pokes and sometimes the helping hand of a Bedouin. The male now shifts his gaze into the distance, his nostrils quivering and saliva drooling, while the female bellows and groans and twists round to bite his neck. It can last up to 40 mins before the male finally releases his grip and tumbles sideways onto the ground, a spent camel.
Hard pass.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-24-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
...a clumsy business which needs a few shuffles, exploratory pokes and sometimes the helping hand of a Bedouin...
It's prom night all over again.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Whew, is it getting warm in here?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM

Hump DAAAAY!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Apparently, the Dr and I don't really care about the same topics, so I haven't picked up any "trolling" vibes from him/her.

Ditka has admitted he argues against citations he refuses to read, which imho, is a key behavioral trait of a troll.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Cage Match Pay Per View.
Pay to NOT view, more like.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I'm fairly certain that joke was about the inane attempts at censorship by the New Zealand government, and not about the shooting itself.

And a Mod did give him a Mod Note, so there's that.
In the thread on New Zealand's banning of the Christchurch shooter's video, Hurricane Ditka was worried about the free-speech implications of a government banning speech. That's a valid question to raise.

To phrase his concern, as he did, as claiming not to realize that New Zealand was such a "tyrannical shithole"; well, that's when I decided he was a trolling shitweasel, and not worthy of engagement.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
In the thread on New Zealand's banning of the Christchurch shooter's video, Hurricane Ditka was worried about the free-speech implications of a government banning speech. That's a valid question to raise.

To phrase his concern, as he did, as claiming not to realize that New Zealand was such a "tyrannical shithole"; well, that's when I decided he was a trolling shitweasel, and not worthy of engagement.
I’m not even talking about that thread. In an ATMB thread about connectivity issues, HD made his joke (about 2 days after shooting). He did so because dead Muslims are actually funny to him, being a white nationalist and all, and to get a rise out of the libtards. A mod tut-tutted at him.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=872637

Last edited by madmonk28; 04-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Iím not even talking about that thread. In an ATMB thread about connectivity issues, HD made his joke (about 2 days after shooting). He did so because dead Muslims are actually funny to him, being a white nationalist and all, and to get a rise out of the libtards. A mod tut-tutted at him.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=872637
But he didn't say any of that...that's all subtext you are adding. The extent of what he said is:

Quote:
I've noticed the same thing. think it's New Zealand's fault.
Quote:
It was a joke, based on New Zealand's recent attempts at censorship.
That's it. The Mod note was this:

Quote:
Given the emotionally sensitive and tragic nature of what has been going on over there, this is inappropriate and offensive in ATMB. It's way out of line in a post about connection issues. Don't do this again in this forum.
That seems appropriate to the lame ass joke in a thread that is about something completely different...in fact, I'd say that the Mod COULD have dinged him for threadshitting, and that would have been fine. But all that stuff you are saying about dead Muslims being funny to him and the rest isn't in there at all. If you need a translation for the lame joke, he seems to be saying (from the context and what is actually in the thread) that the reason for the slowness is New Zealand censorship affecting the whole web. Lame. Stupid. But nothing about the joy of killing Muslims or white nationalism or any of that other stuff...hell, the thread basically ends right after this exchange and the one from the Mod and the OP talking about the issue and saying it's resolved.

I'm sure you can find better examples of what you are getting at than this...right?

Old 04-24-2019, 05:37 PM

In a poll requiring the responders to assume they are self centered sociopaths, most responders struggle with such a condition. Except our good pal ditka who has no problem "pretending" to be sociopath, and is butt hurt that he cant murder people more efficiently anymore, but not quite enough to blame Trump for it. Because hey, at least his taxes are lower!

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=874536

Ditka shows up in post #4
Old 04-24-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
But he didn't say any of that...that's all subtext you are adding. The extent of what he said is:

That seems appropriate to the lame ass joke in a thread that is about something completely different...in fact, I'd say that the Mod COULD have dinged him for threadshitting, and that would have been fine. But all that stuff you are saying about dead Muslims being funny to him and the rest isn't in there at all. If you need a translation for the lame joke, he seems to be saying (from the context and what is actually in the thread) that the reason for the slowness is New Zealand censorship affecting the whole web. Lame. Stupid. But nothing about the joy of killing Muslims or white nationalism or any of that other stuff...hell, the thread basically ends right after this exchange and the one from the Mod and the OP talking about the issue and saying it's resolved.

I'm sure you can find better examples of what you are getting at than this...right?
Three days after the shooting, he’s making his joke apropos of nothing. I’m sure if someone had shot up a Mormon church and bits of his daughter’s brains were still caked on the linoleum floor, it would be heelarios to make a joke about the incident. I’m sure that the fact that the victims were non-Christians and largely non-whites had nothing to do with it.

I’m also sure that if someone had shot up a Mormon church in Idaho and I had made a similar joke out of the blue, that I also would get a note.

Last edited by madmonk28; 04-24-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Go back through all his posts. The recurring theme is that he's a white nationalist shitbag. That subtext is clear. He's knows enough to not admit it because he knows where he is a knows we think being a white nationalist shitbag is wrong. But he's never really denied it. Defending him based one thread is missing the whole context of his time here.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Give the Mcveigh apologist the benefit of the doubt? Yeah, no. He probably jerked off into his magic underwear watching that video.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Welp, I came in here to see a troll contest, but now I am left with the image if crown prince Salman with a camel's dick in his hand. Can't win 'em all, I guess...
Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Three days after the shooting, heís making his joke apropos of nothing. Iím sure if someone had shot up a Mormon church and bits of his daughterís brains were still caked on the linoleum floor, it would be heelarios to make a joke about the incident. Iím sure that the fact that the victims were non-Christians and largely non-whites had nothing to do with it.

Iím also sure that if someone had shot up a Mormon church in Idaho and I had made a similar joke out of the blue, that I also would get a note.
Wait, are you saying the OP of that thread had their daughter killed in the massacre? I didn't get that from the thread either. Someone making off color jokes about tragic events, especially when he was specifically talking about the government there and censorship, not all that other stuff is...well, it's fairly common on the 'dope. Black humor is fairly common as well.

I don't know what would happen to you had you made a similar joke, presumably about the US government doing, something in relation to a killing of Mormons (that seems oddly specific?), but my WAG is, if you had been as obscure you probably would have gotten Mod attention and probably a similar slap on the wrist...and, like him, you'd deserve a Mod warning for thread-shitting. I don't know why the Mods chose not to warn him for that, as his post had nothing to do really with the thread, but it also wasn't anything like the narrative you are spinning. Like I said, perhaps there are other threads that have lead you to see the subtext I'm missing in all this...but the link you gave doesn't show what you are saying.

I admit, I don't follow HD. I've seen him post, but I don't know if we've ever interacted that much. Generally, I'm more engaged with other posters in one way or another. I haven't noticed trolling or white racism or Muslim hating glee or whatever. Certainly if he has actually been doing that stuff that would be grounds for banning him, as that stuff is specifically forbidden, even though it still happens. But the only links I've seen seem ambiguous to me, and mostly this seems a case of folks calling someone a troll because of a fundamental disconnect in world views. And when I click on a link purporting to show dastardly things I expect to see unambiguous nastiness...not lame and stupid jokes that are complete non-sequiturs and that the Mods should have warned because of the fairly obvious thread-shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner
Go back through all his posts. The recurring theme is that he's a white nationalist shitbag. That subtext is clear. He's knows enough to not admit it because he knows where he is a knows we think being a white nationalist shitbag is wrong. But he's never really denied it. Defending him based one thread is missing the whole context of his time here.
Go back through his thousands of posts? I'm not that interested in the guy. I'm not defending him, either. What I'm saying is I, personally, haven't seen any evidence of his doing the things he's accused of thus far. He and I haven't butted heads that I recall, though we might have...no idea. I don't know that much about his posting history as I haven't really followed it....I really just came in because I do know DrDeth so figured I'd see what that's about. But, honestly, HD isn't one of the posters I follow. For instance, if someone said in a thread that you were a troll, I wouldn't have any idea how accurate that is or isn't. I don't know your posting history, and as far as I know, you and I have never butted heads. You probably have no idea who I am either, or my posting history. If they presented similar evidence that I've seen so far, I'd defend you if I happened to wander into the thread in exactly the same way. If you want to link to some things he's said you think indicate he's a troll, that would be great...I'm willing to take a look. If not, that's cool too.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Wait, are you saying the OP of that thread had their daughter killed in the massacre? I didn't get that from the thread either. Someone making off color jokes about tragic events, especially when he was specifically talking about the government there and censorship, not all that other stuff is...well, it's fairly common on the 'dope. Black humor is fairly common as well.

I don't know what would happen to you had you made a similar joke, presumably about the US government doing, something in relation to a killing of Mormons (that seems oddly specific?), but my WAG is, if you had been as obscure you probably would have gotten Mod attention and probably a similar slap on the wrist...and, like him, you'd deserve a Mod warning for thread-shitting. I don't know why the Mods chose not to warn him for that, as his post had nothing to do really with the thread, but it also wasn't anything like the narrative you are spinning. Like I said, perhaps there are other threads that have lead you to see the subtext I'm missing in all this...but the link you gave doesn't show what you are saying.

I admit, I don't follow HD. I've seen him post, but I don't know if we've ever interacted that much. Generally, I'm more engaged with other posters in one way or another. I haven't noticed trolling or white racism or Muslim hating glee or whatever. Certainly if he has actually been doing that stuff that would be grounds for banning him, as that stuff is specifically forbidden, even though it still happens. But the only links I've seen seem ambiguous to me, and mostly this seems a case of folks calling someone a troll because of a fundamental disconnect in world views. And when I click on a link purporting to show dastardly things I expect to see unambiguous nastiness...not lame and stupid jokes that are complete non-sequiturs and that the Mods should have warned because of the fairly obvious thread-shit.

Go back through his thousands of posts? I'm not that interested in the guy. I'm not defending him, either. What I'm saying is I, personally, haven't seen any evidence of his doing the things he's accused of thus far. He and I haven't butted heads that I recall, though we might have...no idea. I don't know that much about his posting history as I haven't really followed it....I really just came in because I do know DrDeth so figured I'd see what that's about. But, honestly, HD isn't one of the posters I follow. For instance, if someone said in a thread that you were a troll, I wouldn't have any idea how accurate that is or isn't. I don't know your posting history, and as far as I know, you and I have never butted heads. You probably have no idea who I am either, or my posting history. If they presented similar evidence that I've seen so far, I'd defend you if I happened to wander into the thread in exactly the same way. If you want to link to some things he's said you think indicate he's a troll, that would be great...I'm willing to take a look. If not, that's cool too.
Fair enough. I wouldn't want you to go back through all of anyone's posts, let alone that shitbag's. I certainly don't want to go back through them just to find cites. But how about trusting those of us who have butt heads with him instead of spending the effort dissecting one thread just to say you dont see what we're saying?