Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This movie is not what I expected it to be

Ever come across a movie that was entirely different from what the title and/or movie poster lead you to expect? I was cruising through the lineup on my favorite B-move channel, Tubi, and I came across something called "Sicilian Vampire". Thinking that this would be Leslie Nielsen/National Lampoon type of farce, I clicked on it...and got a movie that was 90% straight mob movie and 10% vampire tale starring James Caan, Daryl Hannah, Paul Sorvino, Robert Davi, Robert Loggia, Armand Assante, Michael Paré, Eric Roberts, Daniel Baldwin and Art Hindle. They weren't there in cameo roles-they were the lead actors, and they all played it seriously. I liked this film, but whoever thought up the title and created the movie poster should be shot.

Any others out there?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

The film Flight was advertised as a procedural - Did Denzel cause the crash or not?

The actual film was a character study about a mans addiction problems.

A few years ago, I was talking with Martin Kistler, the CEO of Ignition Creative, a marketing firm which specializes in movie production about Flight and while his firm didn't do the trailer, they were involved in the bidding process. His point was that the job of the trailer is to get butts in seats, and sometimes they are given a movie which just won't do it. And he flat out asked me:

"You went to the film expecting to see a procedural, right? Would you have seen the film if you knew it was about addiction?"

And, to be honest, no. No, I wouldn't have.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM

Pan's Labyrinth

It's a very dark violent movie. It was presented as a fantastical story that despite an R rating seemed suitable for young children. I enjoyed it but I know several people who were disturbed by what they saw, not really the content itself, but the expecting a more upbeat feel good movie.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Pan's Labyrinth

It's a very dark violent movie. It was presented as a fantastical story that despite an R rating seemed suitable for young children. I enjoyed it but I know several people who were disturbed by what they saw, not really the content itself, but the expecting a more upbeat feel good movie.
Yeah. In the same vein I am not sure who the latest version of Dumbo was for.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Pan's Labyrinth

Same deception when it comes to the ads for Bridge to Terabithia.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Fight Club seems like a pretty good example of this. I'm quite sure I'm not the only person who had no interest in a movie about a fight club. It's one of my favorite movies now. I've probably seen it at least a dozen times.

Also, Black Swan.

Last edited by Joey P; 05-21-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:03 PM

For some reason, I thought The Guest was a study of an emotionally damaged combat veteran trying to re-integrate into civilian life. I was expecting kind of a psychological drama. I'm not sure how I got that impression. I was wrong.

It was not a bad movie for what it was, just not what I thought it would be.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM

On the Beach is NOT a Frankie Avalon movie

Similarly Miracle Mile is not an 80's rom-com.

Gross Anatomy is not animal house in a medical examiner school

Muriels Wedding is just Over the Mountain with ABBA.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

If your girlfriend wants to see 28 Day and rents 28 Days Later instead, you'll both be in for a surprise.

ETA, to relate that to the OP. 28 Days Later is not Sandra Bullock in rehab for being an alcoholic.

Last edited by Joey P; 05-21-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Back in the olden days, I rented Watership Down. I knew full well what to expect, but I had my little kids with me when I picked it up, and the guy at the register warned me it was not for them. I imagine he had fielded some complaints!
Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pan's Labyrinth

I love Pan's labyrinth. An excellent movie, dark indeed. I had to watch the trailer, to see if you could actually think it would be suitable for young children, and honestly I don't think it gives this impression. Even though you could have expected something less dark from it, indeed. The name of the director, however, should have been a hint.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
I love Pan's labyrinth. An excellent movie, dark indeed. I had to watch the trailer, to see if you could actually think it would be suitable for young children, and honestly I don't think it gives this impression. Even though you could have expected something less dark from it, indeed. The name of the director, however, should have been a hint.
I never saw a complete trailer, just the commercials, and some people talking about it on TV. It is a pretty good movie, but I understand people being surprised at what it actually was about. The tone of the commercials didn't match what I saw in the movie. Others have mentioned similar circumstances with fantasy movies, I suppose that outside of horror and it's related genres that it doesn't pay to advertise how dark and violent a movie is.

And I thought thought from the little I knew about the movie that del Toro might be directing against type, and to some degree he was. He didn't produce the film himself, not directly anyway, so he may have had no part in the marketing.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Coraline

I knew what it was, but clearly all of the adults in the theater who brought their small children had no idea. Watching their reactions and then hurriedly packing up and shuffling out was almost as entertaining as the movie itself. I should have been taking notes on what points in the movie were the tipping point for the parents walking out. Most made it quite a while.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 PM

Hereditary, while advertised as a horror movie, was so much darker and emotionally charge than I could have imagined.The synopsis I read sounded so formulaic and, frankly corny, that I didn't bother to see it in the theater. I did not expect to feel the way I did when it was over
Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Obligatory Simpsons clip
Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Friends shined me on telling me it was the scariest horror movie ever. Saw a midnight showing, which sort of upped the tension that it was a horror movie. I knew absolutely nothing about it. Loved it.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:29 PM

I just watched 'The Island' with Scarlett Johansson and Ewen McGregor. It was a great action movie, not what I thought it was gonna be.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:09 PM

From Dusk til Dawn is one of the best examples that springs to mind - especially as the first part is standard Tarantino wise-cracking gangster fare.

Another which surprised me was The Terminal with Tom Hanks. I expected some semi-serious Kafkaesque nightmare and found Hanks playing an international Mr Bean, for as long as I could tolerate it.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 PM

I had a small instance of that a few days ago. There is a 2015 Korean movie called The Beauty Inside where a guy has a rare condition where he wakes up every day with a completely different body, is forced to live an emotionally isolated life because of it, but then falls in love with a girl--but his rare medical condition makes establishing a relationship with her a difficult prospect. Then a 2018 American movie called Every Day came out where a guy has a rare condition where he wakes up every day with a completely different body, is forced to live an emotionally isolated life because of it, but then falls in love with a girl--but his rare medical condition makes establishing a relationship with her a difficult prospect. I assumed that the American movie was a fairly direct clone, but I pretty much stumbled into watching it recently and rather than having his own body change every day, he is some sort of mental parasite without a body that jumps into and possesses a different body every day.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:23 PM

This is more a case of relying on form rather than a trailer or a title. After a decade plus of loving everything those wacky, eccentric and charming Coen brothers had ever done, when Mrs Trep was out for the evening I treated myself to a trip to the cinema to see The Man Who Wasn't There. Holy shit, that's a tough watch.

j
Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Fight Club, as mentioned up thread.

The Princess Bride - I thought it was going to be some sappy kid's movie.

Dr. Strangelove - from the title, not expecting a black comedy about nuclear annihilation.

Heathers - again, not expecting a black comedy.

And probably not in the spirit of the OP, but Punchline, which I expected to be a hilarious comedy about doing stand-up, but which actually sucked donkey balls.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Drive with Ryan Gosling fooled a lot of people, the trailers made it look something like a stylish version of Fast & Furious, but it was really a slow noir type movie rather than action.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:51 PM

The 1981 Pennies from Heaven. I thought it was going to be Steve Martin's latest wacky comedy.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Once a friend and I wanted to see a movie but didn't want anything violent. Being animal lovers, we chose a documentary about jungle animals.

It was the most violent movie I've ever seen, basically 90 minutes of monkeys having their brains bashed out in various ways.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:01 PM

The first David Lynch movie I saw was Dune. I loved it (I have been told I set a pretty low bar sometimes for sci-fi movies...). A few years later I saw Blue Velvet. It was not what I expected...

A few years after that, Twin Peaks aired, and I watched a few episodes to see if it was made by the guy who made Dune, or the guy who made Blue Velvet. The latter, for those who are wondering.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:10 PM

It's not completely on topic, but the oral history of "Office Space" is fascinating w/r/t the creative view versus the studio / marketing approach.

I'd say the promotional materials weren't misleading, but they definitely didn't accurately convey the movie.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:29 PM

Going In Style George Burns in what looked from the trailers to be a funny comedy about old people robbing banks. Almost all the old guys die. Bittersweet, not at all bad, but not a riotous comedy.

Pennies From Heaven Steve Martin & Bernadette Peters lip sync and dance through the Great Depression. But, while it gives every impression it's going to ultimately be a comedy, it ain't.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Fight Club, as mentioned up thread.

The Princess Bride - I thought it was going to be some sappy kid's movie.

Dr. Strangelove - from the title, not expecting a black comedy about nuclear annihilation.

Heathers - again, not expecting a black comedy.

And probably not in the spirit of the OP, but Punchline, which I expected to be a hilarious comedy about doing stand-up, but which actually sucked donkey balls.
Wow....we're all gonna lean into Tom Hanks movies are we? Nothing in Common. Well its not Bachelor Party Hanks thats for sure. Elderly divorce, diabetes, 80's sex while horses watch. Or was it the other way around?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I know quite a few people who were taken by surprise by "From Dusk til Dawn"

I knew going in it was going to be a vampire flick. Not sure why others didn't. Perhaps the trailers were misleading?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:54 PM

My sister is a fan of somewhat obscure indie movies, so one year when we got together for Christmas she brought along a DVD of a movie called Raghead for us all to watch. I think I'm remembering the title correctly, because I remember having to explain to my parents that it was a slur directed towards Arabs, but I can't even find it on IMDB now (There's a short film listed with that title, but that's definitely not the movie we watched). Based on the title and the description that it was about an Arab-American teenager, I expected it to be about her facing Islamophobia at school or something along those lines. It was not that at all. The main plot was about a teenage girl discovering her sexuality, getting sexually assaulted by her neighbor, and having a (consensual) sexual relationship with her first boyfriend. The fact that she was of Middle Eastern decent barely had anything to do with it, although her socially conservative overprotective father played into it a bit. And it was set in the early 1990s during the first Iraq War for some reason, so there was some minor sub plot about her being picked on because her father was an Iraqi immigrant. Even my sister, who picked out the movie, agreed that it wasn't what she expected at all.

On a completely different note (and not technically a movie), the way Fox promoted The Orville I was expecting it to be a stupid comedy that happened to be set in a Star Trek like universe, and thus I didn't bother watching it until I heard other people talking about how much they liked it. Yeah, it's not what I expected at all.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Before I saw "Dear Zachary,", I knew it was about a couple with a child who split up, and a custody dispute.

I was NOT prepared for what eventually happened.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Woody Allen's Stardust Memories

He'd already made the utterly humorless Interiors, and Manhattan was pretty much a drama, but we thought from the advertising that Stardust Memories would be a return to his "earlier funnier movies" (as several characters said during the film. It wasn't. Despite some surreal funny moments, this film left most people scratching their heads. It might've helped if I'd seen Fellini's 8 1/2.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Darren Garrison writes:

> I assumed that the American movie was a fairly direct clone, but I pretty much
> stumbled into watching it recently and rather than having his own body change every
> day, he is some sort of mental parasite without a body that jumps into and possesses
> a different body every day.

The movies have no relationship to each other. Every Day was based on a 2012 novel by David Levithan of the same name. It's a very good book. The movie doesn't work quite as well. The thing that irritated me about the movie is that, like the book, it's set entirely in Maryland, except for a little bit in Washington, D.C. I thus watched the movie listening for the characters to talk about the towns that it was set in and was happy that I recognized them all as being in Maryland. The shots didn't look familiar, but that didn't bother me. Then I watched the credits. It was shot entirely in Canada. The leading actress was Australian.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

This is an oldie, but when I saw the previews for 48 Hours, I thought is was a PG 70's TV show type buddy cop movie. I didn't realize until I was sitting in the theater what the adjective "action" meant.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 05-21-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 PM

Long ago, I found "Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads" in the horror section of the video store (told you it was long ago).

Turned out to be one of Spike Lee's very early films. Good movie, but not at all what I went in expecting (the fact that it opened with "A Spike Lee Joint" at least mitigated the confusion).

I let the shop owner know, and next time I went in it was on the 'famous directors' shelf.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Fight Club seems like a pretty good example of this. I'm quite sure I'm not the only person who had no interest in a movie about a fight club. It's one of my favorite movies now. I've probably seen it at least a dozen times.

Also, Black Swan.
I was also caught off-guard by Fight Club. Not as badly, however, as the mom and daughter sitting behind me, who had evidently gone to see 90s-heartthrob Brad Pitt. After it ended, I heard one of them say softly "what was thaaaat?"
Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Good Night Mommy, a 2014 Austrian horror film. I went to it expecting subtle psychological horror, and I got....BODY HORROR.

I fucking hate body horror.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post

Also, Black Swan.
Funny story about fight club that sorta relates to the thread topic.

I love Fight Club. I watch it about once or twice a year. I figured it was about time to watch it again, and I do have a legal copy, but, back when this happened, I had no working optical drive. So I figured I'd just download a torrent of it. I was pretty drunk and tired so I figured id just start the download and go to bed and watch it after work the next day. Next day comes around and I fire it up...it turns out I downloaded Lesbian Fight Club. It was much much worse, yet I couldn't not watch it. The fight scenes were...much different.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Woody Allen made a movie called The Purple Rose of Cairo, and it looks like a lighthearted rom-com. But there's nothing light or happy about the ending.

Apparently, Woody considered it a meditation on the power of art. Ah well.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:08 PM

I think Downsizing fits the bill. I only watched it because the trailers looked kind of funny. But the trailers only covered the first 20 minutes of the movie.

But as it turns out, I love this movie. Everything after Matt Damon gets small is awesome to me.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:16 PM

Filled with wild action, fantastic choreography and editing, Duel to the Death (1983) nevertheless has a thoroughly misleading title seeing as the main characters only end up dueling till dismemberment.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 AM

Slight hijack, but a related story: decades ago when I lived on a small island in Micronesia, our main form of entertainment was to go down to the local video store and rent movies.

I had a houseguest, and we decided to watch a movie. He offered to go into town and get one. He inquired as to what I felt like, and I said, "Oh, I dunno ... something light, I don't feel like thinking too hard tonight."

He returned with Das Boot and told me nothing about it before we started watching. It's an amazing movie, but hardly what I was in the mood for. (Semi-spoiler for those who haven't seen it: it has an incredibly sad ending.)

A few days later, I got my revenge. We again decided to rent a movie, only it was my turn to go get one. He wanted a comedy and I promised to deliver.

Saying nothing more, I got us Blue Velvet (which I had already seen so I knew exactly what to expect) and let him watch it, completely unprepared. It totally freaked him out. I told him it was exactly what he deserved for showing me Das Boot with no warning when I asked for something light. He agreed.

/

Last edited by CairoCarol; 05-22-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 AM

I happened to catch Once Upon A Time In Mexico when I lived in Philadelphia. The theater was pretty packed; everybody was some flavor of Hispanic except for four very-white ladies in the front row. After a few minutes of the movie, one of them turned to the others and said "you know, I don't think this is a fairy tale".

Later when we were exiting they were talking with some of the people who'd been sitting closest to them about how the rest of us could have watched the movie without the subtitles (since yes, all of us were bilingual) and other linguistic and cultural background stuff. They agreed that, while very much not a fairy tale, it had been an interesting experience.

Quote:
Pan's Labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Hereditary, while advertised as a horror movie, was so much darker and emotionally charge than I could have imagined.The synopsis I read sounded so formulaic and, frankly corny, that I didn't bother to see it in the theater. I did not expect to feel the way I did when it was over
With both of those I think I have a cultural-background advantage. "Spanish horror movie" is something that I know is going to go to some nasty, nasty places (Labyrinth is del Toro but made and set in Spain with a Spanish cast, so it definitely qualifies as "Spanish horror movie").

Last edited by Nava; 05-22-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 AM

Two movies that (like Bridge to Teribithia) are famous for deceptive trailers are Kindergarden Cop, which mostly wasn't in kindergarden, and Kangaroo Jack, which mostly wasn't about the kangaroo.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Both my wife and I were disappointed by Crazy Rich Asians. We both had the impression that the movie was about rich Asians who were crazy. Actually it's about Asians who are crazy rich. It's an important distinction if you're looking for a comedy.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Both my wife and I were disappointed by Crazy Rich Asians. We both had the impression that the movie was about rich Asians who were crazy. Actually it's about Asians who are crazy rich. It's an important distinction if you're looking for a comedy.
I think it's a brilliant title for American viewers. Because it's hard to tell where the culture ends and the eccentric begins.

That said, had I'd know it was going to be a Princess fairy tale, I probably would have gave it a hard pass.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
Woody Allen made a movie called The Purple Rose of Cairo, and it looks like a lighthearted rom-com. But there's nothing light or happy about the ending.

Apparently, Woody considered it a meditation on the power of art. Ah well.
His A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy is often assumed to be a sex comedy. Though there are a few amusing bits, it's mostly a serious musing about relationships and about they are always going to fail, and that a happy ending is literally a fairy story.

Blake Edwards' The Man Who Loved Woman was marketed as a comedy, with trailers focusing on what was the only deliberately funny scene in it. It's really mostly a drama about someone who has an inability to commit. The original ending was so downbeat that the studio asked for reshots to lighten it just a bit. But it was a pretty serious drama.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Yeah. In the same vein I am not sure who the latest version of Dumbo was for.

How about the original Dumbo??!! It was awful, I started watching it with my grandkids and after 15 minutes, shut it off.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

The Babadook. I expected a horror movie. What I got was a character study about a grieving widow with a special-needs kid.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM

One thing I hate is when a studio didn't know how to make a trailer for a mediocre, independent dramedy. Most of the time there's little -medy in the drama, so they cram every humorous line into the trailer. It's deliberately deceptive, and not for a genre-subverting purpose. Memorable examples are The Five Year Engagement, Friends With Kids, and This Is Where I Leave You.