View Poll Results: Is the sandwich described below weird?
Yes, it's weird, and I wouldn't touch it, or I have had a similar sandwich and hated it. 36 24.32%
Yes, it's weird, but I would at least try it, or I have had a similar sandwich and enjoyed it. 24 16.22%
No, nothing weird about it, but it doesn't appeal to me, or I have had a similar sandwich and hated it. 35 23.65%
No, nothing weird about it, I would try it, or I have had a similar sandwich and enjoyed it. 28 18.92%
Whatever, don't care if your sandwich is weird... 25 16.89%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Is this a weird sandwich?

So, there's a very simple sandwich I make and enjoy, but just about everyone I've mentioned it to seems repulsed.

* 2 slices bread, preferably Italian or Potato
* 1 slice American Cheese
* 1 dollop of Peanut Butter (chunky if possible)

I call it the PB & Chee. It is yummy.

My rationale that it's not weird is that these exist and are enjoyed by many, and therefore peanut butter and low quality "cheese" are an accepted flavor combo.

I have yet to find anyone who agrees with me among my family and friends, except for one weirdo who said he grew up eating them, except with Jelly (US Jelly, i.e. Jam) as well. That's a bridge too far for me.

So I put it to a vote... what say ye?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 AM

I had a roommate in college who ate peanut butter and jelly with bologna and American cheese sandwiches so PB & chee sounds perfectly cromulent to me.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 AM

Not my style, but not weird, at all--I used to eat PB, cream cheese and banana sammiches.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

It's a pretty standard sandwich for me. PB & Cheese are a perfectly normal combination (I mean, there's all those PB & Cheese sandwich crackers out there--Oh, I see you've already mentioned it). And I don't necessarily just use cheap American singles type cheese -- I'll use whatever cheese I have handy, even cheese spreads like Merkt's/Kaukauna.

I'll occasionally amp it up with some freshly sliced hot peppers, too, or pickles. (But PB & pickles are another delight for me, as well!)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:06 AM

Not weird at all, but I'd used cheddar rather than American.

I also like peanut butter and salami on rye.

But the best is peanut butter, butter and bananas.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:11 AM

It's weird, and I wouldn't touch it. But to each his own.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The peanut butter and cheese sandwich needs hot sauce.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I think the key to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is the contrast of the sweet and salty tastes. You're not going to have that in a peanut butter and cheese sandwich.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I have a bagel shop that knows me as that weird woman who always asks for a customized combination on her bagel. I have had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches there, and also various sandwiches with American cheese. I am tempted to ask them for a PB and cheese, just to see how they react.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Sounds icky, but the American "cheese" is what really turns me off.

From Google: "American cheese—the kind you get in the individual plastic wrappers—is processed cheese or “cheese food,” meaning it's not actually real cheese. ... In short, Kraft Singles are made with less than 51% actual cheese, so it can't legally be called "cheese."

No thanks.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Sounds icky, but the American "cheese" is what really turns me off.

From Google: "American cheese—the kind you get in the individual plastic wrappers—is processed cheese or “cheese food,” meaning it's not actually real cheese. ... In short, Kraft Singles are made with less than 51% actual cheese, so it can't legally be called "cheese."

No thanks.
Not all American cheese comes in plastic wrappers. There are Kraft Deli Slices and the stuff you can get behind the deli counter as well. It is a type of processed cheese, but they are cheese. Kraft Singles are labeled as a "cheese product." For me, who gives a shit? Do you like it or not? I can see not liking it for whatever reason, but just because it's not legally called "cheese" is not a good reason.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM

I went with the last option, which was closest to my actual reaction of 'yeah, it's weird, and I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole, but you do you'.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Not weird, but it's a whole lot of food I don't care for all in one place. No I would not eat it.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Edith Ann and her sandwich.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Not fond of peanut butter, not allergic to it, just don't happen to like it. I have had brie/carmelized onion/toasted almond sandwiches on brioche before, so I would try brie and almond butter or perhaps a nice sharp cheddar and almond butter [hm, with paper thin slices of a good tart apple?]
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM

I used to eat PB & cheese sandwiches all the time as a kid. Haven't had one in a long time, though. They're not bad but not what I'd go for.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I like PB&cheese. Don't need any bread mucking it up though.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

It's a bit odd, in that ordinarily, cheese and peanut butter would serve similar purposes in a sandwich, and so combining them seems redundant.

But hey, if you like them, why would anyone else complain about that?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 PM

I grew up eating those sandwiches. They are delicious.
Also add miracle whip and its even better.
If you are feeling really crazy...add a banana. It's not for everyone.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 PM

I give you the Dee Snider Burger

Quote:
After reading the description of this burger, you will probably make the same face I did:

+ Peanut Butter
+ Jelly
+ Bacon
+ (in case your mind wasn’t already blown) Sriracha Sauce
That face you have right now (probably with your head titled a little bit in disbelief), is the same face I had when seeing this one on the menu. I figured I probably won’t make it to LA anytime soon, so maybe I’ll order this burger just so I can say I tried a bite of it.

Seriously folks, this mix of flavors somehow works on a burger!
Works is an understatement. It is awesome.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Haven't tried it. Sounds weird, but lots of things that sound weird are actually tasty.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

If someone made one and offered me a bite, I'd bite. I'm not making one on my own based on the description.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Not weird, but I probably wouldn't like it, because of the particular cheese.

If you made me one with a good sharp cheddar, I'd definitely try it, and might well like it. And a version adding jam to that also sounds tempting -- raspberry maybe?

I didn't vote, because I wasn't sure how to fit that into the options.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 PM

never heard of this combo, but I'd take a bite. PB and bananas sure, PB and bacon of course! PB on pickles was recently offered up to me, and it was surprisingly good. But forget about mayo and bananas though nothing good can come of that.

I do like a fried egg sandwich with mayo and tomato on white bread, just leave off the bananas.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Okay, having conducted the experiment, I am changing my vote to "No, nothing weird about it, but it doesn't appeal to me." It tasted just like a plain peanut butter sandwich. I couldn't taste the cheese at all, and felt like it added nothing to the experience. Would not order again.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM

It's weird, and I wouldn't touch it.

What is it with putting peanut butter with other stuff? Cheese. Funky-ass Concord grape jam. Liverwurst. Bleargh!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I give you the Dee Snider Burger

Works is an understatement. It is awesome.
I've had some variation of that burger a couple of times (I don't think my version had sriracha, but it did have some hot pepper in it.) One version had pickles instead of jelly. They were ... okay. I mean, the flavors worked fine for me, but the complaint I had both times is that the burger was just too damned rich. I also had a peanut butter and bacon hot dog variation somewhere, and same thing. It just makes the whole thing so "heavy." Maybe if the places I've had it at were much more conservative in their peanut butter smears, but every time I've had these versions, it tasted great for about a bite or two, and then I just wanted relief from the overwhelming fattiness of the whole thing.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Pb bacon and cheese pretty sure Id eat that up.

Family down the street served up the mayo banana egg sandwich they were originally from Ohio. Mine from PA but then we ate scrapple
Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I grew up with PB & mayo sandwiches, and still indulge from time to time.

An adult indulgence that I discovered a couple years ago and shared here is grilled hot dog slathered with chunky PB and dosed with Sriracha. Sounds weird, tastes great.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I also had a peanut butter and bacon hot dog variation somewhere, and same thing.
How in the hell did I forget the strangest part of this hot dog (as if this weren't strange enough)? It was nestled in a Twinkie as a bun.

That place isn't around anymore, but it was a fun fast food stop in Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area.)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Pb bacon and cheese pretty sure Id eat that up.

Family down the street served up the mayo banana egg sandwich they were originally from Ohio. Mine from PA but then we ate scrapple
Don't be knockin' scrapple, boy-o; food of the gods.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:29 PM

It's weird, but I might try it.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
It's weird, and I wouldn't touch it.

What is it with putting peanut butter with other stuff? Cheese. Funky-ass Concord grape jam. Liverwurst. Bleargh!
How is it that weird? Nuts, cheese, and fruit commonly go together. (OK, peanuts are not technically a nut, but fine for this comparison.)

I do find it odd that around 40% or so of respondents find peanut butter & cheese weird (and I assume a majority of these are Americans), as peanut butter and cheese crackers are a pretty standard snack around here, so it's not like at least the Americans should be shocked by that combo. I can see peanut butter and chicken being weird (though not an unusual combo in other parts of the world, though the peanut butter may be different than the American style), but peanut butter and cheese?

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-13-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Haven't tried it. Sounds weird, but lots of things that sound weird are actually tasty.
I’ve tried it. Doesn’t seem the least bit weird. Have always been a little disappointed that it was not tasty.

PButter and sliced cheese are two common sandwich ingredients that are almost always in my kitchen. And they are both a little lacking as the sole ingredient of a sandwich. It would be great if they complemented each other, but for me they are worse together than alone.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 PM

I wouldn't say the OP's sandwich is weird, just unconventional.

Weird would be flavors that don't go together, like mustard on tuna

I see the cheese and PB both as smooth creamy texture/flavors, so no clash, but I don't wanna eat it.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Somewhere between yes it's weird and I wouldn't touch it and I dont care.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

OK, now peanut butter, jelly, bacon, and sriracha, that sounds really good. Though I'm not sure that it would benefit by being combined with a ground beef patty.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Never had it, never will. Not much of a peanut-butter-eater, though.

I’ve been buying sliced American cheese regularly from the deli, though, out of nostalgia for New Haven, where everything from tuna fish grinders to cheeseburgers came with melted white American cheese. It’s also great on toast with scrambled egg and bacon as a breakfast sandwich. It’s just a very mild type of Cheddar.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I am in the "I have had a similar sandwich and enjoyed it" camp.

I make a little convenience store combo snack along the lines of the crackers in the OP. Take a packet of Peanut Butter Toast crackers and a stick of cheddar cheese, top each of the crackers with a small slice of cheese, microwave for 20 seconds or so, and voila, a tasty warm PB and melted cheese mini sandwich!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
How is it that weird? Nuts, cheese, and fruit commonly go together. (OK, peanuts are not technically a nut, but fine for this comparison.)
No, not fine. If you put out peanuts in a nut selection, I would think it weird, too.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:53 AM

Peanut butter and cheese crackers are OK but it's not that much of a comparison since the bread seems redundant. In the cheese crackers the cheese cracker is the bread and that's a lot different than a piece of cheese food on a piece of bread. Maybe peanut putter spread on 2 pieces of higher quality cheese would make sense. Actually a lot more sense than adding random pieces of low quality bread. I might even throw a little honey on it.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Only true statement so far.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I'm SOOOO agreed here. (I've had scrapple, toast and syrup sandwiches. Scrapple's gotta be dark on both sides.)
Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, not fine. If you put out peanuts in a nut selection, I would think it weird, too.
Interesting. Do you guys just not eat peanuts/ground nuts on their own over there? Here, peanuts are part of a standard fruit & nut mix. Like say something like this. And it's a standard part of a general "mixed nuts" selection.

Why are peanuts different for you guys culinarily? Foodwise, they act and taste like a type of true nut to me. Like a common mix is nuts and chocolate, for example, and that nut can be peanut, almond, or hazulnet typically--they all fulfill the same purpose.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-14-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
It's a pretty standard sandwich for me. PB & Cheese are a perfectly normal combination (I mean, there's all those PB & Cheese sandwich crackers out there--Oh, I see you've already mentioned it). And I don't necessarily just use cheap American singles type cheese -- I'll use whatever cheese I have handy, even cheese spreads like Merkt's/Kaukauna.

I'll occasionally amp it up with some freshly sliced hot peppers, too, or pickles. (But PB & pickles are another delight for me, as well!)
PB, mayonnaise, and pickles was common in my house growing up. I haven't had one in decades, and I don't remember if I liked it.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Peanut-flavored crackers with cheese, or cheese-flavored crackers with peanut butter, are not the same thing as what the OP's describing. All the cracker has is the flavor of its ingredient, not the texture or nutritional value.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:55 AM

Peanuts are a very common component of mixed nuts around here, also. I've got a bag like that in the bowl of munchies on the kitchen table right now.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:06 AM

It's an unusual sandwich, not really weird. Add ketchup and then you've got some weird going on.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Do you guys just not eat peanuts/ground nuts on their own over there?
No, of course we do - on their own. With raisins. In trail mix. In chevda. In satay sauce.

And ground nuts are something else, but similar. Either makes a lovely stew popular in West Africa and through immigration, quite common here now too.
Quote:
And it's a standard part of a general "mixed nuts" selection.
Naah, here it'd be just tree nuts. Cashews, almonds, macadamias, hazelnuts, maybe brazils, maybe pecans...if it had peanuts in it, people would think you were cheapening out on them. Peanuts are...how do I put this? Poor people food.
Quote:
Why are peanuts different for you guys culinarily? Foodwise, they act and taste like a type of true nut to me. Like a common mix is nuts and chocolate, for example, and that nut can be peanut, almond, or hazulnet typically--they all fulfill the same purpose.
I also wouldn't have an almond butter+jelly sandwich, or a liverwurst+hazelnut butter one.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I also wouldn't have an almond butter+jelly sandwich, or a liverwurst+hazelnut butter one.
If you're getting the liverwurst-peanut butter suggestion from the thread about being stranded on an island with a sat phone, I don't think that's meant to be entirely serious thing. I thought the whole point of it was to come up with a disgusting sandiwch that nobody eats. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if someone ate liverwurst-peanut butter sandwiches, but it's not a thing to my knowledge. 99.9% of Americans would consider that weird, and much much weirder than peanut butter and cheese.