Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:51 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 44,265

Fklorida Principal says he "can't say the Holocaust was real"


This is seriously fucked up. I think the principal is claimed that he doesn't want to say this, but is forced to by policies. Which are seriously fucked up, if that's true.

Quote:
Florida Principal: ‘Not Everyone Believes The Holocaust Happened’

The high school principal had to defend himself after reportedly telling a parent that he “can’t say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event.”


A Florida high school principal appeared to defend Holocaust deniers when he was reportedly asked by a parent how his school teaches about the World War II atrocity and wrote that “not everyone believes the Holocaust happened.”

The surprising response was revealed in emails between the parent and principal at Boca Raton’s Spanish River Community High School sent in April of 2018, The Palm Beach Post reported Friday, citing the results of a public records request.
The parent, who did not want her name published, told the Post that she had reached out to Principal William Latson about how his school prioritizes that part of world history. The mother mentioned a 1994 Florida mandate that requires Holocaust education in public schools. Oregon most recently passed its own such mandate.
Latson replied by saying that the school offers a one-day lesson to 10th graders but he said it’s not mandatory as some parents “don’t want their children to participate.”

“The Holocaust is a factual, historical event,” the mother reportedly responded to him. “It is not a right or a belief.”

Latson, however, protested.

“Not everyone believes the Holocaust happened and you have your thoughts but we are a public school and not all of our parents have the same beliefs so they will react differently,” he reportedly replied. “I can’t say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee.”

Just when you've digested that, you get the second punch:

Quote:
He added that the school presents information about the Holocaust to the students and allows them to make their own decisions about it. He said it does the same when it comes to slavery.
But, as I say, he doesn't seem to agree with the policy, although he still seems too comfortable with it:

Quote:
Latson, in a statement to the Post, apologized, saying the views he expressed in his emails “did not accurately reflect my professional and personal commitment to educating all students about the atrocities of the Holocaust.”
__________________
Who is the Calypso Singer that rides Pegasus?
Harry Bellerophonte
  #2  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,339
  #3  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,584
Looking at the photos, I'm surprised that it's a black guy who is saying this. I would have expected it to be a Caucasian white supremacist.

So - Holocaust and slavery - what other views, on other issues, does he hold?
  #4  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,380
Quote:
“I can’t say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee.”
He is mistaken. He is in such a position, because it is a factual historical event. So you can say that.

Regards,
Shodan
  #5  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,216
So no field trips to the Holocaust museum by this school, I guess. That's one hell of an education those kids are getting in Florida. Shit.
  #6  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,036
We're in the post-fact world. Reality is whatever you believe. Feelings shape reality.

hmm, maybe the anthropomorphic quantum theory people are actually correct. Thought and belief does shape reality. Maybe the principal should teach that?
  #7  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,169
Since I'm feeling masochistic today, I thought I'd see what the Yahoos had to say. Here's are a couple of examples:

Quote:
They died from typhus and starvation CAUSED BY ALLIED BOMBING OF CLEARLY MARKED RED CROSS TRAINS delivering food and medicine to German occupied areas. You don't need laws to defend the Holocaust if it weren't almost entirely fabricated stories and grotesque exaggerations. Six million did NOT die. The number was closer to 50,000 and was not caused by ovens or gassing or any other nonsense.
Quote:
...i visited dachau...and there was not a single body...same in buchenwald...and auschwitz...these were just movie sets...built as propaganda...
Quote:
If the Holocaust wasn't 99 percent myths and outright lies, it wouldn't require laws to force its narrative.
  #8  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Looking at the photos, I'm surprised that it's a black guy who is saying this. I would have expected it to be a Caucasian white supremacist.
So it’s not a personal racist thing, it’s an institutional racist thing. Which is so much worse.
  #9  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
So it’s not a personal racist thing, it’s an institutional racist thing. Which is so much worse.
Honestly, I don't think it's even that. I think it's a guy who is completely confused about what he's allowed to say without getting "political" and is over-correcting, just in case. It doesn't mean he believes the Holocaust didn't happen. It means he believes that if he says "the Holocaust didn't happen" and someone complains about him making a "political statement" or "indoctrinating students", he will be called on the carpet for inciting controversy. Now, obviously, this backfired horribly. But this is a pretty normal policy for schools: don't say evolution is a fact; don't say slavery was a cause of the civil war; don't say the earth is getting warmer. Say 'Experts think" and "here is their evidence".

I mean, maybe this guy is a holocaust denier, but the evidence isn't really strong here. It's much more like he's got really poor political skills.
  #10  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Since I'm feeling masochistic today, I thought I'd see what the Yahoos had to say. Here's are a couple of examples:
The ones I don't get are the deniers that say it never happened but on the other hand hate Jews so much that they seem to wish it did. What's up with that logic?
  #11  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The ones I don't get are the deniers that say it never happened but on the other hand hate Jews so much that they seem to wish it did. What's up with that logic?
But they also love Israel, because end times and rapture. You were expecting maybe reason and logic? Internal consistency? It is to laugh.

eta: I want to start a petition to change the name of that state to match the presumed typo in the thread title. It would be pronounced "Fucklorida."

Last edited by Roderick Femm; 07-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.
  #12  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Ulf the Unwashed is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The ones I don't get are the deniers that say it never happened but on the other hand hate Jews so much that they seem to wish it did. What's up with that logic?
There was somebody out there--half wish I could remember who it was, but maybe it's just as well that the name is no longer in my memory bank--who on the one hand insisted that the Holocaust was a myth but on the other got off on shouting SIX MILLION MORE! at white supremacist rallies and such. Six million more than the six million who didn't die, I suppose.

My thinking about the cause of this is roughly the same as Manda JO's. School administrators do try to walk a very fine line, and sometimes that leads to ridiculousness.

But it's also fair to say that issues such as the Holocaust and slavery can be very slippery in some places. I write textbooks and the like, and I got into some hot water once (at least a dozen years before Trump) when I was writing a social studies text about a state where slavery had been legal. I needed to begin each chapter with a little vignette, which I was told could either be a primary source quote or something I made up. For one chapter, dealing with the history of the state during the nineteenth century, I wrote a short piece from the perspective of an enslaved man, which included a line that was something like "It wasn't fair, he thought, that he did all the work and Mr. Cole got all the money. It wasn't right." Something that seemed to be, from my perspective, not only perfectly reasonable as a description of what a slave might have thought, but if anything rather understated.

But it was given the kibosh because "slavery is a very controversial topic in parts of [state], and we don't want to say something that's going to create hard feelings." I pushed back, and so did my editor, but the client wanted to sell a lot of textbooks without attracting negative attention, and so that was that. (They did include information about slavery, so it was not as though the whole topic had been deep-sixed, but that slight bit of moralizing apparently was a bridge too far.)
  #13  
Old 07-08-2019, 12:09 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,684
Quote:
He added that the school presents information about the Holocaust to the students and allows them to make their own decisions about it. He said it does the same when it comes to slavery.
Any bets they do the same with climate change? Gotta be fair to the deniers, after all.

Or evolution. Back in 2002, the Atlanta school system required a sticker in high school biology textbooks stating that evolution was "a theory, not a fact", managing in just five words to create a generation of idiots who not only denied evolution, but didn't understand what a scientific theory was. One thing we all understand now, though, is where Trump voters come from.
  #14  
Old 07-08-2019, 02:43 PM
DocCathode's Avatar
DocCathode is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Philladelphia-Mummer city
Posts: 11,772
So, the Holocaust did not happen.

I should tell my mom's friend Helga that she imagined the whole death camp thing.

Let's say for the sake of argument, the principal is not a denier- just avoiding a controversial stance. I say fire him anyway. If he doesn't have the guts to stand up for what's right he doesn't deserve a job helping mold our kids.

In Good News-

Remember that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was invented by a Florida public school teacher in response to being told he must 'teach that the big bang was just a theory and share alternate theories'.
__________________
Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it. That's the wonder of being a scientist!
Prof Hubert Farnsworth, Futurama
  #15  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 31,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions
The ones I don't get are the deniers that say it never happened but on the other hand hate Jews so much that they seem to wish it did. What's up with that logic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
But they also love Israel, because end times and rapture. You were expecting maybe reason and logic? Internal consistency? It is to laugh.
Actually you'd be hard pressed to find Holocaust deniers who "love Israel".

There are big-time supporters of Israel who are devout Christians and think Jews are going to hell, though. It's a biblical thing.
  #16  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Actually you'd be hard pressed to find Holocaust deniers who "love Israel".

There are big-time supporters of Israel who are devout Christians and think Jews are going to hell, though. It's a biblical thing.
I guess you could support Israel and hate the people there...?
  #17  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's even that. I think it's a guy who is completely confused about what he's allowed to say without getting "political" and is over-correcting, just in case. It doesn't mean he believes the Holocaust didn't happen. It means he believes that if he says "the Holocaust didn't happen" and someone complains about him making a "political statement" or "indoctrinating students", he will be called on the carpet for inciting controversy. Now, obviously, this backfired horribly. But this is a pretty normal policy for schools: don't say evolution is a fact; don't say slavery was a cause of the civil war; don't say the earth is getting warmer. Say 'Experts think" and "here is their evidence".

I mean, maybe this guy is a holocaust denier, but the evidence isn't really strong here. It's much more like he's got really poor political skills.
I wouldn't be exactly shocked to learn that he's tried to take a firmer stance on this sort of stuff before, and got slapped down by his district for upsetting parents.
  #18  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I guess you could support Israel and hate the people there...?
Depends on what you mean by 'support'. There's a not insignificant number of evangelicals who believe a war sparked in or around Israel will usher in the end times. Their support for Israel is support for regional instability that will lead to the end of the world.
  #19  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,314
Why would a principal be involved in the delivery of curriculum in the first place? That’s the teacher’s job. The principal supervises the teachers but doesn’t actually teach the vast majority of the time.
  #20  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
So, the Holocaust did not happen.

I should tell my mom's friend Helga that she imagined the whole death camp thing.

Let's say for the sake of argument, the principal is not a denier- just avoiding a controversial stance. I say fire him anyway. If he doesn't have the guts to stand up for what's right he doesn't deserve a job helping mold our kids.
Where's the line? He's not allowed to contradict students and parents who say "the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery". But now you think he should not be not allowed to take an unambiguous stance on the Holocaust? That's a pretty damn narrow needle to thread. I don't disagree with you--it's appalling that even for a second he'd feel uncomfortable asserting the existence of an simple fact. But, I mean, fuck, we made truth "political" long ago. It's not this guy's fault the world is that fucked up.
  #21  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Why would a principal be involved in the delivery of curriculum in the first place? That’s the teacher’s job. The principal supervises the teachers but doesn’t actually teach the vast majority of the time.
If you read the emails, the parents were asking him what the school did to make sure everyone is informed about the Holocaust. The parents were concerned that the schools special class dedicated to the Holocaust was an elective many students do not take. He told them that the school followed state-level guidelines in all courses except for AP, which have their own criteria. He said that they have an assembly each year for the sophomores where they talk about the Holocaust, but that parents have the right to have their kids opt out of that assembly. The assumption seems to be it is Holocaust deniers that opt out, though I am not sure that's obvious; if it is graphic, I can see pulling a kid if they were sensitive, and frankly, if a kid came from a family directly impacted by the Holocaust I can see pulling them because they probably know the information and because it might be upsetting.

I think the parents were objecting to parents having their kids opt out. I am not really sure that it's really reasonable to expect a principal to mandate attendance.
  #22  
Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
I thought of another thing a principal often can't say, depending on state law and district policy: "It's a good idea to wear a condom if you are having sex".
  #23  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,076
The mother should have written back asking if he was in a position to determine if American slavery as a factual episode in American history. I mean, not everyone believes slavery actually happened, and many slaves were apparently treated better than the masters' own children.
  #24  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:06 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Where's the line? He's not allowed to contradict students and parents who say "the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery". But now you think he should not be not allowed to take an unambiguous stance on the Holocaust? That's a pretty damn narrow needle to thread. I don't disagree with you--it's appalling that even for a second he'd feel uncomfortable asserting the existence of an simple fact. But, I mean, fuck, we made truth "political" long ago. It's not this guy's fault the world is that fucked up.
What is it about the history of the Holocaust that is supposedly controversial or ambiguous in your estimation?

Last edited by asahi; 07-08-2019 at 04:06 PM.
  #25  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 31,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I wouldn't be exactly shocked to learn that he's tried to take a firmer stance on this sort of stuff before, and got slapped down by his district for upsetting parents.
We have to remember that this is a school administrator.

The breed typically avoids taking a decisive stand on anything that could be perceived as remotely controversial, for fear parents, students, the news media, higher-ups in administration or school board members might take offense.
Their overriding concern is protecting their position, and living in a trembling, ball-less state is the price they're willing to pay.
  #26  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
If you read the emails, the parents were asking him what the school did to make sure everyone is informed about the Holocaust. The parents were concerned that the schools special class dedicated to the Holocaust was an elective many students do not take. He told them that the school followed state-level guidelines in all courses except for AP, which have their own criteria. He said that they have an assembly each year for the sophomores where they talk about the Holocaust, but that parents have the right to have their kids opt out of that assembly. The assumption seems to be it is Holocaust deniers that opt out, though I am not sure that's obvious; if it is graphic, I can see pulling a kid if they were sensitive, and frankly, if a kid came from a family directly impacted by the Holocaust I can see pulling them because they probably know the information and because it might be upsetting.



I think the parents were objecting to parents having their kids opt out. I am not really sure that it's really reasonable to expect a principal to mandate attendance.


Thanks for clarifying.
  #27  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
What is it about the history of the Holocaust that is supposedly controversial or ambiguous in your estimation?
I am not Manda JO and cannot speak for her, some restrictions may apply, yadda yadda yadda, but as I understood it, she was asking where the line should be drawn between things school administrators may defer to (erroneous) parental opinions about and things they may not.

Yes, it's historically unambiguous that the Holocaust happened, but it's also historically unambiguous that the US Civil War had a lot to do with slavery. Where do you draw the line on which subjects can be described as "controversial" because a lot of people have strong and wrong opinions about them?
  #28  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
What is it about the history of the Holocaust that is supposedly controversial or ambiguous in your estimation?
Nothing. Also, nothing about American Slavery, Global Warming, Evolution, or Fundamentals of sexual reproduction. But ALL of these are areas where we have explicitly told educators: you must not say that anything is a fact. You must only say that others have said. If you say that the preponderance of the evidence supports evolution, or that the world is growing hotter, or that slavery caused the civil war, you are Taking Sides and Indoctrinating Children. It is not your place to do this.

We haven't said this about the Holocaust, yet, but given the trend, I can see how an administrator would be unsure if his administration would back him up, or if he'd get called into some office and formally written up for "taking sides on a political issue". He told the parents he also "can't tell students what to believe about slavery"--so clearly he's been given some very clear instructions on that. Honestly, we are a generation from having the present "both sides" on Vaccines and Flat Earth, as well.
  #29  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,584
I think that, over the past few years, we have finally seen the end of the ivory-tower "there is no such thing as objective reality" philosophy (not sure if there was a name for it.) This sort of thing may be finally what puts an end to it, along with solipsism and "pain is only an illusion" and other such philosophical nonsense - along with the notion that feelings trump facts.
  #30  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Nothing. Also, nothing about American Slavery, Global Warming, Evolution, or Fundamentals of sexual reproduction. But ALL of these are areas where we have explicitly told educators: you must not say that anything is a fact. You must only say that others have said. If you say that the preponderance of the evidence supports evolution, or that the world is growing hotter, or that slavery caused the civil war, you are Taking Sides and Indoctrinating Children. It is not your place to do this.

We haven't said this about the Holocaust, yet, but given the trend, I can see how an administrator would be unsure if his administration would back him up, or if he'd get called into some office and formally written up for "taking sides on a political issue". He told the parents he also "can't tell students what to believe about slavery"--so clearly he's been given some very clear instructions on that. Honestly, we are a generation from having the present "both sides" on Vaccines and Flat Earth, as well.
And yet there are still no government sanctioned holidays relating to the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Cthulhu.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-08-2019 at 04:33 PM.
  #31  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I think that, over the past few years, we have finally seen the end of the ivory-tower "there is no such thing as objective reality" philosophy (not sure if there was a name for it.) This sort of thing may be finally what puts an end to it, along with solipsism and "pain is only an illusion" and other such philosophical nonsense - along with the notion that feelings trump facts.
So it's the fault of Ivory Tower Liberal Intellectuals that a teacher can't say "slavery caused the Civil War"?
  #32  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
So it's the fault of Ivory Tower Liberal Intellectuals that a teacher can't say "slavery caused the Civil War"?
Yes, because Ivory Tower Liberal Intellectuals keep insisting that "slavery caused the Civil War"!

CMC fnord!
  #33  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I think that, over the past few years, we have finally seen the end of the ivory-tower "there is no such thing as objective reality" philosophy (not sure if there was a name for it.)
Unfortunately, we haven't seen anywhere near the end of the anti-intellectual positions "This can't be true because the Bible says different" and "This can't be true because it's just a conspiracy by One-World-Government scientists" and similar. And it's those attitudes that are the real problem here.

A lot of people like to blame the recent "controversialization" of scientific and historical fact in primary/secondary education on "ivory tower intellectuals" with their postmodernist deconstructionist philosophy and all, but that position is mostly bullshit. Even the most radical poststructuralists were not trying to argue that we can't identify scientific and historical facts in the context of educating children.

What has primarily caused this "controversialization" in American education is the passionate resistance of many "anti-elitist" and anti-science conservatives to having their children taught facts that they (the parents) don't like.

Last edited by Kimstu; 07-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.
  #34  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
And yet there are still no government sanctioned holidays relating to the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Cthulhu.
I thought that’s what Spaghetti Tuesday was about? (I celebrate it on Wednesday.)
  #35  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I thought that’s what Spaghetti Tuesday was about? (I celebrate it on Wednesday.)
Schismatic!
  #36  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:37 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I think that, over the past few years, we have finally seen the end of the ivory-tower "there is no such thing as objective reality" philosophy (not sure if there was a name for it.) This sort of thing may be finally what puts an end to it, along with solipsism and "pain is only an illusion" and other such philosophical nonsense - along with the notion that feelings trump facts.
Arguing that history can be viewed from different perspectives with different interpretations, or pointing out that there are legitimately conflicting accounts of what actually occurred is one thing; arguing that something did not happen when, in fact, it is demonstrably provable is quite another.
  #37  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:41 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Nothing. Also, nothing about American Slavery, Global Warming, Evolution, or Fundamentals of sexual reproduction. But ALL of these are areas where we have explicitly told educators: you must not say that anything is a fact. You must only say that others have said. If you say that the preponderance of the evidence supports evolution, or that the world is growing hotter, or that slavery caused the civil war, you are Taking Sides and Indoctrinating Children. It is not your place to do this.
I've been out of school for a while. Which school districts are explicitly instructing teachers to say that we can't say anything is fact? I guess I'm looking for examples to help me understand what could lead a high school administrator to reach the kinds of conclusions he apparently has, because it literally shocks the shit out of me. Maybe it shouldn't in this day and age.
  #38  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I've been out of school for a while. Which school districts are explicitly instructing teachers to say that we can't say anything is fact? I guess I'm looking for examples to help me understand what could lead a high school administrator to reach the kinds of conclusions he apparently has, because it literally shocks the shit out of me. Maybe it shouldn't in this day and age.
Well, it was 2018 before Texas teachers could teach that slavery was a central cause of the Civil War; restrictions on teaching evolution as fact are also wide-spread; I know it was only in 2017 that Texas removed language that students must "evaluate" alternate theories of cell complexity (which was code for ID; it was so teachers couldn't say "evolution by natural selection is true"; they had to "evaluate" alternate possibilities. Current Texas law requires health teachers to devote the majority of their time to abstinence and present it as the preferred choice. Climate change is noticeably absent in Texas state education standards. Texas is significantly more progressive on these issues than the deep South.

I've also personally known teachers who were told by administration to "never talk about evolution in the context of Human Evolution".

Teachers have always faced pressure not to say facts people wish weren't true, if those people were powerful enough. This is why colleges have tenure.
  #39  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,076
No wonder we have president Trump.
  #40  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
And just to be clear--I think the administration probably would have backed him if he'd made the daring statement that "The Holocaust happened". I just understand why it might seem plausible to him that they wouldn't. It's not that far from the "Don't say the south fought to keep their slaves".
  #41  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:27 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
...I've also personally known teachers who were told by administration to "never talk about evolution in the context of Human Evolution".
If the shoe fits...
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #42  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
If the shoe fits...
I don't understand this.
  #43  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Steve McQwark is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Well, it was 2018 before Texas teachers could teach that slavery was a central cause of the Civil War; restrictions on teaching evolution as fact are also wide-spread; I know it was only in 2017 that Texas removed language that students must "evaluate" alternate theories of cell complexity (which was code for ID; it was so teachers couldn't say "evolution by natural selection is true"; they had to "evaluate" alternate possibilities. Current Texas law requires health teachers to devote the majority of their time to abstinence and present it as the preferred choice. Climate change is noticeably absent in Texas state education standards. Texas is significantly more progressive on these issues than the deep South.

I've also personally known teachers who were told by administration to "never talk about evolution in the context of Human Evolution".

Teachers have always faced pressure not to say facts people wish weren't true, if those people were powerful enough. This is why colleges have tenure.
I just asked my younger son what he has learned in his North Texas schools - he will be a Junior in high school this fall. Evolution and the Holocaust were taught as straight facts with no controversy mentioned. He and his older brother were taught in junior high (before 2018) that slavery was not a cause for the Civil War. Fortunately, I went to school in Kansas and I was able to give them the straight dope.

Sex ed did devote most of their time to abstinence. His geography teacher told them that climate change is a hoax and the world is actually getting colder but, in fairness, I don't know if that was district policy or his own beliefs - he was kind of an idiot; thankfully he's moved on.
  #44  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Again, I don't think Holocaust denialism is to the point where you can't teach the Holocaust as fact; I just understand why a timid administrator might be afraid it was.

Ultimately, local standards rule. I'm in an urban North Texas high school and I can pretty much teach truth. But I know full well that there are teachers who can't make bald statements of fact about these things without repercussion.
  #45  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I don't understand this.
Not directed at you Manda JO. But directed at those that don't want to teach human evolution.

IMHO, they need to evolve a bit to understand science. They have not evolved, so the shoe fits.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #46  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Not directed at you Manda JO. But directed at those that don't want to teach human evolution.

IMHO, they need to evolve a bit to understand science. They have not evolved, so the shoe fits.
I've never known a science teacher who didn't want to teach it (though I am sure they exist). It's always been an administrator whi didn't want a parent in the office yelling "Do you have teachers here who aren't SAVED? ! ? ! "
  #47  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM
DocCathode's Avatar
DocCathode is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Philladelphia-Mummer city
Posts: 11,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Not directed at you Manda JO. But directed at those that don't want to teach human evolution.

IMHO, they need to evolve a bit to understand science. They have not evolved, so the shoe fits.
I could be misreading, but I don't think you understand evolution.

Living things reproduce.

There is variation in the offspring.

Those that are the most fit survive and reproduce.

Evolving can mean growing smaller and dumber. The ancestors of the mole had eyes. "evolve a bit to understand science" is a fallacy.
  #48  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Derleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 21,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
And just to be clear--I think the administration probably would have backed him if he'd made the daring statement that "The Holocaust happened".
It would have backed him had the exchange gone public. However, had he said it to the wrong parent, and the parent went over his head... well, no need to make the internal matter of disciplining a principal public.
  #49  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,310
You all are misinterpreting and reading WAY to much into my 'If the shoe fits' comment. It was directed overall to people that refuse science. All of them.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #50  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
You all are misinterpreting and reading WAY to much into my 'If the shoe fits' comment. It was directed overall to people that refuse science. All of them.
What I read into it was a joke that fell flat.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017