Old 07-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

What's the point (with insulting Indian phone calls)?

Recently, I have received calls with spoofed CIDs pretending to be local, but when answered, are obviously from Indian boiler rooms. Sometimes I can detect the particular scam (typically credit card rate reduction scams), but not always. What distinguishes these calls from others is the caller seems to enjoy insulting the callees in what he thinks is the most possible offensive language.*

In my experience, if a scam caller detects, even suspects, the call will not produce any income, he hangs up. Hey, time is money, so why continue?

But some callers delight in throwing out offending language, like "Do you want to suck my dick?" "You can eat my shit!" and "I am fucking your mother, asshole!" and it goes downhill from there -- long, long after it is obvious that this call will not generate any revenue.

Why? Is there some perverse pleasure in calling random numbers and yelling such crap at Americans? Are they paying a service for this privilege (they certainly aren't making any money from it, so they must be paying)?

In short, WTF?

________

* Doesn't offend me in the slightest. It only reinforces my prejudice against Indians.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
It only reinforces my prejudice against Indians.
In short, WTF?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
In short, WTF?
It's hard to maintain a favorable or even neutral attitude towards any group when the only encounters with them are blatantly unwanted, fraudulent, and offensive.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 PM

1.6 billion people. I’m sure there are a couple of nice ones somewhere.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Mod Rocker

I have never heard of such calls.

Given the OP's last statement, I am guessing that he is being pranked by people that know him.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
1.6 billion people. Iím sure there are a couple of nice ones somewhere.
I dunno, even Gandhi was a racist.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
If you blame over a billion for the actions of a handful, then that reflects very poorly on you, not them.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Given the OP's last statement, I am guessing that he is being pranked by people that know him.
I don't know ANYONE in India. It's possible someone in that country has decided to pursue a useless personal vendetta, but why? Now we're back to the OP.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I don't know ANYONE in India.
But you know they are all offensive fraudsters?

Last edited by Riemann; 07-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM

This is truly bizarre. I’ve never heard of such a thing, and find it difficult to imagine. I’m just trying to be logical here — I mean this in all seriousness — have you perhaps been ingesting hallucinogenic substances?

Not a snark. I’m really trying to help you figure this out.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM

I've gotten similar calls, and occasionally they've become abusive after I asked a lot of questions because I was bored. But this reflects poorly on phone scammers, not any ethnicity or nationality.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is truly bizarre. Iíve never heard of such a thing, and find it difficult to imagine. Iím just trying to be logical here ó I mean this in all seriousness ó have you perhaps been ingesting hallucinogenic substances?
Never have. Probably never will.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:00 PM

I would say that this is an extension to the telephone system of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Quote:
it goes downhill from there -- long, long after it is obvious that this call will not generate any revenue.
Why, may I ask, are you still on the phone at that point?

If I may guess: perhaps they are annoyed at you for not just hanging up and for stringing them along? I'm not claiming they would be justified there, but I imagine if I were a phone scammer and I got suckered into thinking I had a live one for a bit, I might throw out some invective when I realized otherwise.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Okay, thanks. Wow, this still surprises me, but I trust the accuracy of your story.

ETA: I see it’s been corroborated by iiandiiii. Okay, then. Wow, that’s terrible, and I’m sorry you had to endure this abuse (seriously). As others have noted, perhaps you’ll consider ending the calls sooner (not that this excuses their behavior).

Last edited by JKellyMap; 07-11-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I would say that this is an extension to the telephone system of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

If I may guess: perhaps they are annoyed at you for not just hanging up and for stringing them along? I'm not claiming they would be justified there, but I imagine if I were a phone scammer and I got suckered into thinking I had a live one for a bit, I might throw out some invective when I realized otherwise.
The Onion: "Why Do All These Indians Keep Fucking My Mom?"
Old 07-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
But you know they are all offensive fraudsters?
All the calls I have received from India in the last 5 years are. Just in case you aren't aware of this, India is a hotbed of phone fraud. It's not racial prejudice, just a fact. Ask Jim Browning where the call centers are and how many millions they make each month from victims.

Hey, folks, discussion about India or Indians is derailing the thread. Why would anyone want to spend time insulting potential customers, especially if it become obvious that the call recipient isn't going to fall for your scam?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM

I can't imagine why they do that. Maybe they sense some hostility from you toward them, but I don't know why that would be.

Quote:
Oh. Never mind.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
This is truly bizarre. I’ve never heard of such a thing, and find it difficult to imagine.
I've actually received one like that. I answered the phone at my mother's* house and got someone with an Indian accent who was trying to sell some credit scam. I informed him we were on a do not call list and that I was reporting the call and asked his name. He immediately went into a tirade of abuse, calling me a motherfucker and so on, and threatening to harass my mother (mentioning her first name) by repeatedly calling her.

After the first shock, I just stayed on the line without responding, bemusedly listening to him rant on for about five minutes. I took some satisfaction in that he was wasting so much of his time.

Unlike the OP, that's the only encounter of this kind I've had. Most of them just hang up immediately when confronted. I suppose being in a low paying job trying to rip off old people where most people you contact abuse and despise you eventually gets to you. But I didn't have the slightest sympathy for the sucker.

*My mother has dementia and always takes scam calls seriously and insists on answering them if she gets to the phone first. Fortunately (I guess) she can't remember her birthday or social security number and hasn't had credit cards or a bank account in her name for years. Although the guys can't do any damage and it wastes their time to talk to her, I don't like to see her get all confused by the call.

Last edited by Colibri; 07-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Wow. Sad.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap;2174544...
Wow, thatís terrible, and Iím sorry you had to endure this abuse (seriously). As others have noted, perhaps youíll consider ending the calls sooner (not that this excuses their behavior).
I am not in the least offended by these idiots, who are trying their damned best to get my goat. Not possible.

I have all the time in the world, and since I know these are crooks trying to separate innocent victims from their money, every minute I occupy them is a minute they are (1) not making any money, and (2) not stealing from anyone else. Let's say it's a public service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
See above.
Quote:
You may be right. But I return to the OP: since these scammers are in it for the money, why don't they cut their losses when it is obvious that they won't earn anything? Do they think they will grind me down and I will give up my credit card number? Are they getting pleasure from thinking they are offending me? If so, then they are stupider than I thought.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
All the calls I have received from India in the last 5 years are. Just in case you aren't aware of this, India is a hotbed of phone fraud. It's not racial prejudice, just a fact. Ask Jim Browning where the call centers are and how many millions they make each month from victims.

Hey, folks, discussion about India or Indians is derailing the thread. Why would anyone want to spend time insulting potential customers, especially if it become obvious that the call recipient isn't going to fall for your scam?
You're the one derailing your own thread by casually extrapolating the behavior of a small number of fraudsters to 1.6 billion people. That's the very definition of irrational racial prejudice.

Even if 100% of phone scammers that you encounter are Indian, are you really too stupid to distinguish between the two conclusions "all phone scammers are Indian" and "all Indians are phone scammers"?

Last edited by Riemann; 07-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You may be right. But I return to the OP: since these scammers are in it for the money, why don't they cut their losses when it is obvious that they won't earn anything? Do they think they will grind me down and I will give up my credit card number? Are they getting pleasure from thinking they are offending me? If so, then they are stupider than I thought.
The next time you're being cursed out by one of them, you should offer some tips on how to improve efficiency. I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Why would anyone want to spend time insulting potential customers, especially if it become obvious that the call recipient isn't going to fall for your scam?
I have never heard of this phenomenon before and find it absolutely baffling. But if there's one thing I've learned about modern capitalism, it is that sometimes profit can be made from the most gobsmackingly bizarre behavior.

So is it possible that this invective is a sort of last-resort sales pitch that scammers have found to be effective on some people who are about to turn them down, but capitulate out of fright when the aggressive obscenities make them feel threatened?

I have a hard time understanding how this could be effective, but there are a hell of a lot of apparently very effective ways to sell goods and services that I have a hard time understanding.

Oh, and while we're in the Pit, fuck bigotry and prejudice against Indians or any other national/ethnic group, and also fuck trying to blame it on the tiny percentage of Indians who make aggressively nasty scam phone calls.

Last edited by Kimstu; 07-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
So is it possible that this invective is a sort of last-resort sales pitch that scammers have found to be effective on some people who are about to turn them down, but capitulate out of fright when the aggressive obscenities make them feel threatened?
No, it isn't. These guys are just taking out their frustrations about having such a shitty job.

I'm just surprised the OP has gotten several such calls. I've taken quite a few scam calls and only had one that became abusive.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:57 PM

It's unfortunate that you derailed your own thread with a little casual racism thrown in at the end. But I've said my piece on that, so as for the actual question:

Quote:
since these scammers are in it for the money, why don't they cut their losses when it is obvious that they won't earn anything? Do they think they will grind me down and I will give up my credit card number? Are they getting pleasure from thinking they are offending me? If so, then they are stupider than I thought.
These aren't high-level criminal masterminds you're talking to. They're the low-level grunts getting paid peanuts to make calls for someone else. They don't give a shit if they take an extra 30 seconds to hurl some profanities your way. I'm sure they have no illusions that you will cower and offer up a credit card, they're just blowing off steam and, in their mind, making fun of the asshole American. Even if you don't give them the desired reaction (offense or shock), they probably get it from many others.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

YouTube has a bunch of "scambaiting" videos and often when the scammer realizes that his time is being wasted he launches into a tirade of obscenities and name calling, so the op is not imagining this.

Why do they do this? Keep in mind that these are nasty self-centered criminals who prey on elderly people, so we shouldn't be surprised that they sometimes act in a mean and irrational manner.

And I agree with others that the op is unfairly trashing an entire country because of the actions of a very few people.

Last edited by davidm; 07-11-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I have never heard of such calls.

I have gotten calls from obviously South Asian scam callers.

When I've responded with something like "Are you kidding me?" or something like that -- not using obscene or abusive language -- I've gotten responses like the ones described in the OP.

More than once.

It's definitely weird. It may be that the fact that the scammers know they're in a different country, far, far away, is a disinhibiting factor.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Why on earth are you people having conversations with these callers? I don't answer my phone if it's an number not in my contacts, and when they leave me messages I delete them without listening and block that number. Life is too short to have my blood pressure raised when it can be avoided so easily. Reminds me of the people who complain about ads on the internet.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM

These callers are not worried about turning off a potential mark. I would imagine the calls are autodialed, and it's not like they're going to call you back later and try again. They're just going to keep going down the autodial list and never deal with you again. They're either crooks or desperately poor or both, and when you waste their time they vent at you. They're not just screaming invective at you as soon as you answer, right? They realize that you're stringing them along and get pissed before moving on to the next potential mark.

This seems fairly straightforward to me.

Oh, and I echo the "WTF" about the casual racism. Seriously, what the actual fuck?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 PM

I tried stringing along someone who was pretending to be a contractor for Microsoft. He claimed to be a security company who was tasked with following up on incident reports and got a notification that my computer was at risk. I’ve been waiting years to get a call like this and I was so excited!

I played dumb and went along with him. (The man who called had an accent but was not Indian, to me it sounded like a Mexican accent if anything.) Eventually he asked about the keys on my keyboard and I was confused, and then I realized he was trying to figure out if I had a Mac or Windows PC. I made the mistake of saying that out loud which outed me as someone not totally computer illiterate and he hung up. D’oh!

(I’ve been an IT support professional for about 20 years.)

He was quite polite up until he hung up on me. I really wanted to play along for much longer too.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
But this reflects poorly on phone scammers

Classic.

Quote:

I live in China and when I call a business in another country, sometimes I have to call the same number a few times before someone answers, assuming I'm a scammer. 1.386 billion people (not including us foreigners) here are not all phone scammers, nor is the phone scammer demographic a majority of the population of China, or India for that matter.

Have you considered that maybe someone's on their last day at work in some hell-hole phone scammer sweat-shop? Even if the boss is running a scam, I don't think they'd be all that happy with their employees pissing off the marks to such an extent. But that's just my theory.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 PM

My theory is that they've been strung along by one of those YouTube scammer revenge people and then given a call-back number that accidentally was yours. So, the YouTube revenge person keeps the scammer on the phone for as long as possible and trolls them until the scammer realizes he's been stung. Then the connection is lost and the scammer calls what he thinks is the revenge person and calls a random number the revenge person gave him, which is yours or anyone else's.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Nobody calls me on my phone anymore, except recruiters, who I don't really want to talk to anyway. Oh yeah I forgot, occasionally, like twice a year, I get calls at my work phone from India by people pretending to be our agent there. They never are though, of course. I guess they hope I am dumb enough to not realize they are not our agents and to authorize them to do some work for us?? I'm dumb but not that dumb.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
No, it isn't. These guys are just taking out their frustrations about having such a shitty job.
Itís this. Theyíre desperate enough to feel forced into a criminal job that requires them to work in a boiler room. Theyíre angry so when they realize a call had gone south, they let loose.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
I don't know ANYONE in India. It's possible someone in that country has decided to pursue a useless personal vendetta, but why? Now we're back to the OP.
With iiandyiiii and others reporting the same thing, I will accept your story. However, unless you have extensive experience speaking with folks from the sub-continent, I could easily picture local friends taking on "Indian" accents and running this as a joke. The whole point of speculating a prank would be that it was not Indians who performed it.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 AM

My key takeaway is that Musicat was already prejudiced against Indians before getting these abusive calls.

So karma is real!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:38 AM

If you are aware of your own prejudice, then you should be trying to fight it, not justify it.

Bigotry is very often about extrapolating one's experiences with a small few to everyone. Like when my grandpa hated Mexicans because of some Mexican bullies (with guns) back when he lived in Arizona. But he worked on it, and by the end of his life had several Mexican friends. (It started breaking because he loves Mexican food a lot, and went to Mexican restaurants a lot, getting to know the staff and such.)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 AM

So the secret to harmony and world peace lies within fajitas? And maybe margaritas?

I can get behind that theory.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
But some callers delight in throwing out offending language, like "Do you want to suck my dick?" "You can eat my shit!" and "I am fucking your mother, asshole!" and it goes downhill from there -- long, long after it is obvious that this call will not generate any revenue.
This sounds like it is coming from people who know you. I, 4 1, have never received a call like this.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

This isn’t the first time I’m hearing about this kind of thing.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 AM

As a point of clarification, I have received spam phone calls from people with Indian accents. I think. I honestly couldn't tell you if they were Pakistani, Indian, or something else. Anyway, not a one of them ever told me they were fucking my mother or anything e;se like that. As the OP stated that he was already prejudiced against Indians, I can only say that this sounds like karma.

Last edited by bobot; 07-12-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
...since I know these are crooks trying to separate innocent victims from their money, every minute I occupy them is a minute they are (1) not making any money, and (2) not stealing from anyone else. Let's say it's a public service.
You're a saint.

mmm
Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
"I am fucking your mother, asshole!"
"Goddammit dad, go home."
Old 07-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I once had a phone call (a solicitation at work). I told the guy not to call back and he started making some comments. I said something to him and hung up. The same guy called back the next day (he had others listening) and tried to get rise out of me since I wasn't buying their scam. I guess all Americans are assholes based on that.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Guys, can we just put the accusations of racism aside and just concentrate on how Indians are the worst?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess all Americans are assholes based on that.
We are, but not based on that.

I have gotten a couple of calls similar to the ones described, but to be fair to the scammers, they don't usually become abusive until I do first. I even had one call me back to complain that I insulted him. Which I certainly had, and continued to do.

Nothing stops them, so I might as well amuse myself venting at them in creative ways.

Fuck you,
Shodan

Last edited by Shodan; 07-12-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: because up yours, that's why
Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Wait, it goes downhill from "I am fucking your mother"? I have to confess a bit of curiosity as to where such a conversation might go.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure my response would be something like, "Well, she's been dead since 2008, so knock yourself out", or something similar. Except I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, so I never seem to get the chance.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

See above.You may be right. But I return to the OP: since these scammers are in it for the money, why don't they cut their losses when it is obvious that they won't earn anything? Do they think they will grind me down and I will give up my credit card number? Are they getting pleasure from thinking they are offending me? If so, then they are stupider than I thought.
As vile as the work is, it's still not being done by machines. If you've noticed, humans occasionally get frustrated and act sub-optimally or not their best interest. We're not a ruthlessly efficient, profit-maximizing species (or at least most of us aren't). It's being human. They got pissed they didn't catch a live one and are hurling invectives in frustration. That's all it is.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
So karma is real!
Well, Iím sure many in India think so.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I have all the time in the world, and since I know these are crooks trying to separate innocent victims from their money, every minute I occupy them is a minute they are (1) not making any money, and (2) not stealing from anyone else. Let's say it's a public service.

See above.You may be right. But I return to the OP: since these scammers are in it for the money, why don't they cut their losses when it is obvious that they won't earn anything? Do they think they will grind me down and I will give up my credit card number? Are they getting pleasure from thinking they are offending me? If so, then they are stupider than I thought.
For the same reason you don't you cut your losses when it's obvious it's a scam. You can cast it as a public service all you want, but that is unconvincing. You're getting revenge on them because you don't like what they're doing. They're doing the same thing back

None of the people in this scenario are rational actors. You are wasting their time out of spite. They are angry at you for wasting their time. You may be immune to having nasty things said to you, but most people aren't. Which is why people say nasty things to other people when they are angry.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 07-12-2019 at 12:08 PM.