View Poll Results: What is the significance of your middle name?
My middle name is my mother's maiden name. 12 5.22%
My middle name is another family surname. 17 7.39%
My middle name is a family given name. 79 34.35%
My middle name is an unrelated surname 2 0.87%
My middle name is an unrelated given name 92 40.00%
My middle name is a unique word, not a name. 3 1.30%
I don't have a middle name. 25 10.87%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Do you have a middle name?

I have been doing some genealogy research recently, noticed many people have a middle name that is their mother's maiden name, or a given name of another relative.

What is the significance of your middle name?

PTF
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 PM

Darren is my middle name. I have it because my mother liked the sound of it on Bewitched. (I don't know why I've always been called by my middle name--my first name is a common name in my family and incidentally and coincidentally could make some think about places beyond the sea and knives named "Mack.")
I was going to be named Elvis, but thankfully saner people talked her out if it.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Scott. It is the surname of the man who was best man at my Father's wedding. Great guy with a great family.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

1. My middle name is my mother's maiden name. I like it a lot, because I was the first grandchild in the family (on both sides), and I was particularly close to my maternal grandparents (actually living in their house when I went off to college). My grandfather used to introduce me to acquaintances, "This is my grandson, [firstname] [MIDDLENAME] [lastname]."

While my middle name is obviously a surname, it can also be a man's first name (though less commonly so), so it worked out well for me. Kind of a distinguished name, actually. Strangely enough, my wife's first husband had the same relatively uncommon middle name as me, so both of her husbands had the same middle name.

2. In my wife's family when she was growing up, children didn't get middle names at birth. Instead, they picked a middle name at their Confirmation, which was supposed to be the name of a saint. I guess this was common years ago in Irish Catholic families? So my wife's middle name isn't on her birth certificate.

3. My son's first name is related to my middle name. It's a name that also used to be a surname in the past. I suppose we could have given him the same middle name as myself, but instead he was saddled with my first name as his middle name.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Both my first and middle names are first names from corresponding relatives, one on each side of the family. I almost killed my mom. She was still pretty out of it a couple days after I was born and I was still unnamed. My maternal grandmother proposed the idea with my first name coming from Dad's side of the family since I was a boy. Mom was just happy to agree without really knowing or thinking about what the name actually would be. My grandmother didn't even know what name she was proposing from Dad's side of the family.

There was a name on Dad's side of the family that was really common for boys. It was also his. That was the one and only name my Mom didn't want if she had a boy. Did I say it was really common on that side of the family? Several days later Mom asked what I'd actually been named and
Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM

I don't have a middle name, just a middle initial. My parents thought that my middle name "should" be my mother's maiden name, Schallau, which is hard to spell and pronounce. In a rare attempt at parental kindness, they decided not to use it. Instead of selecting a different middle name they decided on "S" - no period, like Harry S Truman. I don't know why they left the period off; maybe they thought it would look like an abbreviation and I'd be badgered for my "real" middle name.

Once in a while I've filled out forms that demand your FULL middle name, not just an initial, but that's pretty rare, and there has never been any negative consequence from my lack of a middle name.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 07-11-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My middle name is Alexander. I voted "My middle name is an unrelated given name", but that's not quite accurate. My parents didn't know it at the time they named me, but in my father's mother's mother's Scottish-Canadian family there was a tradition of naming one boy in each generation Alexander (Sandy for short). My father met his great-uncle Sandy when he was a boy, but never realized it was short for Alexander until years after I was born.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 PM

My parents wanted a girl so badly that they only picked out girl names for me. So they had to scramble when I was born a boy. My first name is the name of the doctor who delivered me. Then, lying in bed in the hospital one evening post partum, my mom saw John Davidson on some variety show. She thought, "David sounds nice."

My wife doesn't have a middle name. She's Indian (ethnically Tamil, born in the US). No Indians that I know well enough to ask have a middle name. Our son's and daughter's middle names are the first names of my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother, respectively.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

My middle name is my uncle's. He died in Normandy.

Jewish tradition is to name your child for dead relatives. My first name was my grandfather's.

My wife's middle name was her mother's first name. When we married, she started using her maiden name as her middle name.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 PM

I don't have a middle name, not even an initial. Neither did either of my parents, and neither does my brother.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 PM

My middle name is the same as my mother's father's first name. I was never told that there was any special significance to this and given that "John" is literally just about as common a name as you can get, I'm not inclined to assume that this is more than coincidence.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

My middle name is a given name unrelated to any family or friends. It's a fairly common name, but my parents opted for one of the less common spellings.

When you are growing up, your parents tell you your middle name, but how often do they write it down? I grew up using the spelling that my schoolmates used.

When I was 15, I was applying for my driver's license, and had to get a copy of my birth certificate. I then learned that I had been misspelling my own middle name for nearly a decade.

My dad first got a copy of his birth certificate when he joined the military in 1941. The first name and middle name on the certificate were the reverse of what he had grown up using.

To people who knew him in childhood, he was Fxxx M. Surname.
To people who knew him in the war, he was M.F. Surname.
To people who knew him afterward, he was Mxxx F. Surname.

Last edited by mbh; 07-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Of my closest relatives (parents, grandparents, uncle, nieces) and myself:

7 family given names, including me
3 unrelated given names
1 mother's maiden name
1 no middle name on the birth certificate, but unofficially a family given name
1 family given name that's a common patronymic last name, but I haven't found a relative with that last name

The latter two aren't counted in the seven family given names.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Me, and my three siblings (all born in Scotland), have middle names that are surnames of ancestors.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM

No significance to my middle name. There was a bit of a scramble. Dad wanted boys. The story goes he had picked out names for twins, just in case. I arrived, neither boy nor twin, and mom got to pick. I believe she thought it was pretty.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I don't have a middle name, not even an initial. Neither did either of my parents, and neither does my brother.
My mother has one, my father does not and I do not. It wasn't a tradition in the Slavic paternal side of the family and my parents went traditional when naming me. I'm actually a little surprised to see that many folks without them in the poll. It seems so ubiquitous to me in the United States, but maybe that has just been confirmation bias on my part.

Now my father's older sister converted from a nominal Eastern Orthodox faith to Catholicism when she got married and she and my uncle did hand out middle names to their kids.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 07-11-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM

Yes, I do.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My parent didn't give any of the 5 of us middle names. Dunno why...
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

My father had a middle initial. He never learned what it stood for. Perhaps because of that neither I nor my brother has either a middle name or initial.
I attribute my success in life to this fact. Can you imagine how much extra time I had on tests not having to write a middle name. A great advantage.
My wife does, so both of my kids do.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM
SD Curator of Critters

My middle name is my mother's father's name. I was the first born; my next brother got my mother's father's name as his first name (and an unrelated middle name). My other four siblings have names unrelated to any relatives.

My first name is my father's first name. His middle name was his mother's father's name.

My father's first name was his father's first name. My grandfather had an older brother who was given his father's first name but died as an infant. So he was named after his mother's father. His middle name was the first name of his father's father.

Ultimately I can trace my first name to a German g-g-grandfather who was born in New York in the 1830s, and my middle name to an Irish g-g-grandfather who was born probably around the same time.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Unrelated given name. My first name is that of a friend of my father's who died before I was born. I don't know of any source for my middle name, other than they all seem to kind of "fit" together.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 PM
born to be shunned

My middle name could be related to either grandfather but somehow I doubt that explanation.

It's "Thomas" by the way.

Last edited by kopek; 07-11-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 PM

My middle name is my father's first name.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
My father had a middle initial. He never learned what it stood for. Perhaps because of that neither I nor my brother has either a middle name or initial.
I attribute my success in life to this fact. Can you imagine how much extra time I had on tests not having to write a middle name. A great advantage.
My wife does, so both of my kids do.
My kids have two middle names. True story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
My parent didn't give any of the 5 of us middle names. Dunno why...
Well, with 5 of you, who has time for that type of thing?

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 07-11-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

My middle name is my grandfatherís first name. He died before I was born.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Danger is my middle name.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 PM

No middle name. Nor my sisters. The brothers have family related middle names.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

I don't see an option for "I have more than one middle name", which is the case with myself, as my first and middle names are the full name of a 1920s celebrity my grrat-grandparents worked with.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:58 AM

My middle name is my maternal uncle's first name.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a middle name. Once in a great while this causes someone to get flustered, but officialdom is OK with it.

Apparently some people believe having a middle name is a legal requirement. No, it's not.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 AM

My first and middle names are from two popes, Paul Telesphorus.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM

I have my paternal Grandfather's first name as my middle name.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 AM

my entire name was my grandfathers who was jr and his dad was sr so occasionally I have to add "the third" then III became common in the 90s .....

i just dont like saying my full name out loud because it sounds pretentious as hell

Last edited by nightshadea; 07-12-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I don't have a middle name. Once in a great while this causes someone to get flustered, but officialdom is OK with it.

Apparently some people believe having a middle name is a legal requirement. No, it's not.
Is your family Catholic, by any chance? See my second comment in Post #4 above. Maybe you were supposed to pick a middle name later, but this never happened for some reason.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
my entire name was my grandfathers who was jr and his dad was sr so occasionally I have to add "the third" then III became common in the 90s .....

i just dont like saying my full name out loud because it sounds pretentious as hell
Something like Thurston Howell III?
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 AM

My middle name is a relatively common women's given name. One big survey (n- 1000) places it just barely in the top 10 most common, which suggests it's actually a lot more popular as a middle name than first.

My brother's middle name, on the other hand, is Dad's first name. Mom suggested naming him after dad, but he didn't want a junior. So the middle name was their compromise.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 AM

My middle name is a standard given name, as is my sisters.

The best middle name comes from 'How I met your mother'

In case the clip doesn't work, the middle name is Ö
SPOILER:
waitforit i.e. Marvin Waitforit Eriksen
Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM

I have a rather boring middle name. However, my grandmother was Naomi, my mother was Naomi, my sister’s middle name is Naomi, my niece’s middle name is Naomi, and my great niece’s middle name is Naomi. Five generations.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:38 AM

My middle -and first and sur - names are the same as my dad's, his dad's, his dad's, and - I'm pretty sure - his dad's. I'm descended from a pretty uncreative bunch!

My wife, OTOH, has no middle name. Which is kinda weird, as she is the youngest of 3 sisters, and both of her older sibs have middle names. Guess they ran out of ideas - or couldn't afford one!
Old 07-12-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

My middle name was my Uncle's name. And he was named for a significant ancestor.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Was the assumption that you'd get married and your maiden name would be your middle name?

All the middle names in my immediate family are "sounds nice"; my mom is one of 12 kids and the middle name of one uncle is the doctor that delivered most of them. I've always liked that.

I kept my name when I married, and gave it to my son as a second middle name.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 AM

My first name is my grandmother's name, and my middle name (the name that I go by) is one that my parents picked just because they liked it.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Yes, I do.
It's Bo, isn't it? And your last name is Boarder. Snowboarder Bo Boarder, banana-fanna fo forder, me-my-mo morder, Boarder!

My middle name is Michelle. Ma was going to call my brother Michael, and then refer to the two of us as Mike and Mickey. Thank heavens Dad stopped her.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM

As someone who spends a lot of time finding ancestors for myself and others, I love it when surnames are used as middle names or even first names. That makes it easier to find families, especially when the name leads to a previously hard-to-find female line.

On the other hand, I had a set of gggg grandparents who loved to give their sons names that were surnames of completely unrelated people. I tried tracking those surnames down as possible ancestral surnames, but they were not related in any way, shape, or form.

They were playing head games with me across time. Tricksters! :-)

My middle name is just a common given name. It was a popular name at the time, but not so popular now. As far as I can tell, I'm not named after anyone.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post

I am also "the Third", in that my first, middle, and last names are the same as my father and grandfather. I don't like it, also because it is pretentious, and I don't like my middle name either. My wife wanted to name our son the Fourth, but I put my foot down - we are not founding a Carolingian dynasty here.

My wife certainly has a middle name - her family is Catholic, and you can't throw a brick at a reunion without hitting at least three women with the same first name.

Regards,
Shodan III
Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 AM

Middle names have never been the norm in Norway, although there's a trend in that direction currently. Double first names were probably more common.

Only three out of eight great-grandparents had a middle name, only one out of four great-grandparents, both my parents, but they disliked theirs, so me and my brothers have none.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
My family had middle names for the boys and no middle names for the girls as they were expected to get married and use their maiden names as middle names. Then my mom got pissy when my sister legally changed her last name to her partnerís last name, and kept our surname as a middle name. You can never win in ultra-conservative families.

My middle name was a mistake. My parents named me after a famous Mormon figure, but they only knew his middle initial. In the pre-internet days of the past, they simply guessed, and guessed wrongly. Growing up I disliked my middle name for that reason, but since doping out, it has become a point of pride.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:34 AM

No, and I've always felt bad about it, I didn't like my first name, and could have used it as a substitute.
Somebody give me one?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 AM

My middle name is my maternal grandfather's American name. Which is kind of odd as no one in the family ever called him that, they use his Chinese name. I never met him; he died before I was born. I suppose my parents thought my name would look weird with his Chinese name in the middle, but I don't really know.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM

When I was born, my parents allowed my (8 year old) sister and (5 year old) brother to name me. My brother's best friend was Philip, so my middle name is Philippa. I don't like it much but do feel I dodged a few bullets there.