Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,100

"Some of the best friends I got is coloured." Wow.


Thread title is quoting the landlord who is getting sued by former tenant. Why is she suing? Well, landlord apparently doesn't like people of a certain race on his property. So when a journalist asked the landlord to comment, he uttered that informative quote.

The "reactions" section this time has some great commentary. One reaction says the landlord's colored friend" is probably the orange one in yhe Whitd Housre.

Re the landlord: the bigots are barely even pretending now, huh?
  #2  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,547
~63 million of them hiding in plain sight.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #3  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Emiliana's Avatar
Emiliana is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,619
I thought the OP might be quoting SlackerInc.
  #4  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
All due respect to the OP, this has be going on for centuries, and is only more well known now due to internet, social media and the like. But its actually getting better, not worse- slowly, as most of the people of the landlord's age who grew up during segregation are dying out, and forty years from now no one alive hardly will have grown up pre-Civil Rights Act- which doesnt mean no more racism, just that it will be getting less common as the country gets less homogeneous. Anyone who grew up in the 70's or later grew up to some degree around different races, and knows they are regular people, same as them.

You could literally post a thread of this type, just with the names and locations changed, once a week.

And regardless of racist intenet or not, elderly people using the word colored is common, is it is what many called them then- antiquated to be sure, but you dont expect "change" from elderly people in general.
  #5  
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,562
I agree in that it'll take a generation or two to breed out the inherent racism. With today's cybersphere, Millenials are used to myriads of races as next-door neighbors.

Is "cybersphere" a dated term now?
  #6  
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
All due respect to the OP, this has be going on for centuries, and is only more well known now due to internet, social media and the like. But its actually getting better, not worse- slowly, as most of the people of the landlord's age who grew up during segregation are dying out, and forty years from now no one alive hardly will have grown up pre-Civil Rights Act- which doesnt mean no more racism, just that it will be getting less common as the country gets less homogeneous. Anyone who grew up in the 70's or later grew up to some degree around different races, and knows they are regular people, same as them.

You could literally post a thread of this type, just with the names and locations changed, once a week.

And regardless of racist intenet or not, elderly people using the word colored is common, is it is what many called them then- antiquated to be sure, but you dont expect "change" from elderly people in general.

Oh Jesus.


Why am I not surprised that you'd completely miss the entire point?
__________________
Itís not you, itís your sports team.
  #7  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Guinastasia, respectfully, if the entire point is something other than 90 year old redneck is horribly racist and did something horrible as a result, then yes, i must have, and I apologize for the error if so. If you could tell me where I went wrong,I will gladly take note. Again, with no disrespect towards you or the OP, this seems like in 2019 too common an occurrence to be outraged about, while at the same time, agreeing it is unfathomably despicable. but I respect the Op's right as a member to post what he wishes, just my two cents, which is the point of this board, various people exchanging their personal opinions and ideas, whether we agree or disagree. I have stuck to topic and disrespected no one, and not held an uncommon opinion, yet you still take umbrage with this post, yet offer no reason why, other than you dont care for something I posted in a previous thread?

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 12:05 PM.
  #8  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
"Racism is common, so it's no big deal. Let's just ignore it, mkay?"
  #9  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
"Racism is common, so it's no big deal. Let's just ignore it, mkay?"
respectfully, racism in any form is despicable. yet it is so common place, especially among elderly whites, it could be argued it does not reach the level of outrage anymore, its too common. is it "outrageous" if its an almost daily occurrence (not daily occurrence that it happens, it happens thousands of times of day, its just about once a day its recorded). its as common as murder, and no one posts threads on every murder. just my opinion, no disrespect to you.
  #10  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
Mkay, we'll stop mentioning it then. mkay.
  #11  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
I mean it the same thread, every week. Just keep one on-going like the troll or trump ones. If two people on back to back days posted name your favorite soda, they would be merged, or one closed.

I was advised in a previous thread that too many posts in one thread is bad form, and I dont wish to derail the OP's thread, so I will vacate now.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 12:28 PM.
  #12  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 563
Poor baby!
  #13  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
All due respect to the OP, this has be going on for centuries, and is only more well known now due to internet, social media and the like. But its actually getting better, not worse- slowly, as most of the people of the landlord's age who grew up during segregation are dying out, and forty years from now no one alive hardly will have grown up pre-Civil Rights Act- which doesnt mean no more racism, just that it will be getting less common as the country gets less homogeneous. Anyone who grew up in the 70's or later grew up to some degree around different races, and knows they are regular people, same as them.

You could literally post a thread of this type, just with the names and locations changed, once a week.

And regardless of racist intenet or not, elderly people using the word colored is common, is it is what many called them then- antiquated to be sure, but you dont expect "change" from elderly people in general.
Racism doesn't just fade away with the passage of time. It fades away because people are actively opposing it.

So there's no excuse to ignore racism because it's going away. It's only going away because people aren't choosing to ignore it.

Quote:
Time itself is neutral; it can be used either destructively or constructively. More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to work to be co-workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. - Martin Luther King
  #14  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Racism doesn't just fade away with the passage of time. It fades away because people are actively opposing it.

So there's no excuse to ignore racism because it's going away. It's only going away because people aren't choosing to ignore it.
It certainly does not fade away with the passage of time, but the passage of the time does kill off all of the Archie bunker era racists. Much of racism stems from not interacting with other races. Director John Waters accurately said something to the effect of racism is often found in those who dont travel out of their country, and punishment for them should have them travel abroad (vacations to islands where you never leave the resort and the only minorities you see are serving you dont count).

thats also the reason Hollywood is so liberal- actors travel, see and interact with people all over the world, see their plight, and see they are no different than they are. Actors are also less homophobic than the general population for the same reason- many set designers, make-up, costume people are gay, and actors see them, know them, are friends with them, and know they are the same as them.

Putting people like this on websites exposing them is good because it may make them lose their jobs, get sued, arrested, etc., but they arent going to stop being who they are as a result- by doing this you can decrease blatant public showings of racism, but not racism itself.

Old racists dying out, and exposing people from birth to other races so they never develop racist feelings in the first place, is how to stop racism.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.
  #15  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
Just be passive and patient, and the problem will take care of itself.

No.

There are new racists being trained all the time. Right now, your president is telling women who were born in the USA to "go back to where they came from", just because their skin color is not white.
  #16  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Just be passive and patient, and the problem will take care of itself.

No.

There are new racists being trained all the time. Right now, your president is telling women who were born in the USA to "go back to where they came from", just because their skin color is not white.
Trump is an evil man, but his poll numbers are the same as they ever were or will be- the 30 percent or whatever of the country who are old white racists who are dying out, or younger racists who dont live around or interact with minorities- Trumps rhetoric is not "converting" anyone.

One million rally tomorrow against racism- does that change the heart of a racist Trump supporter? Rallys are good to change laws, not a persons heart.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 01:09 PM.
  #17  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
And a major cable network is calling Trump's racist comments "comedic". They love it. They think that telling brown and black Americans to "go back where they came from" is funny.

A MAJOR NETWORK THINKS RACISM IS FUNNY.

We cannot just passively wait and hope.
  #18  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:36 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
And a major cable network is calling Trump's racist comments "comedic". They love it. They think that telling brown and black Americans to "go back where they came from" is funny.

A MAJOR NETWORK THINKS RACISM IS FUNNY.

We cannot just passively wait and hope.
Let me guess, MSNBC??
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #19  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:06 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I agree in that it'll take a generation or two to breed out the inherent racism. With today's cybersphere, Millenials are used to myriads of races as next-door neighbors.

Is "cybersphere" a dated term now?

Sorry to have to break it to you my dude(tte), but it was already dated in the 90s.
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #20  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Just be passive and patient, and the problem will take care of itself.

No.
How do you propose to take care of the problem of racism. Keep in mind your answer will determine if you are evil or just plain dumb.
  #21  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
By not being passive and accepting it as inevitable, or not a big deal, or something that will just cure itself if we ignore it harder.

One does not "take care of" the problem with a one-size soundbite that would satisfy you. One calls it out, points it out, and makes it clear that it is not acceptable in any form. In particular, in real life, not on the internet, we need to call it out in our friends, workplace, and everywhere we see it. The trouble with remaining silent and passive is that it leads racists to think that they are accepted. They need to be told they are not accepted - loudly and often.
  #22  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Keep in mind your answer will determine if you are evil or just plain dumb.
It's too bad he isn't both. Then you two wouldn't be arguing.
  #23  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:16 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
By not being passive and accepting it as inevitable, or not a big deal, or something that will just cure itself if we ignore it harder.

One does not "take care of" the problem with a one-size soundbite that would satisfy you. One calls it out, points it out, and makes it clear that it is not acceptable in any form. In particular, in real life, not on the internet, we need to call it out in our friends, workplace, and everywhere we see it. The trouble with remaining silent and passive is that it leads racists to think that they are accepted. They need to be told they are not accepted - loudly and often.
Sounds exhausting, luckily everyone in politics and popular culture has been doing that for 60 years or more so you have momentum.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 07-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.
  #24  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:25 PM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Anyone who grew up in the 70's or later grew up to some degree around different races, and knows they are regular people, same as them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Millenials are used to myriads of races as next-door neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Much of racism stems from not interacting with other races. .
White people in the USA South, as well as in many places in the North, interacted routinely with black people all of the time. They did so during slavery. They did so during Jim Crow. It most certainly didn't make them not racist.
  #25  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Sounds exhausting, luckily everyone in politics and popular culture has been doing that for 60 years or more so you have momentum.
I think we still have a ways to go.

Fox & Friends praises Trump's bigoted tweet telling Democratic congresswomen to leave the United States


But thanks for doing your part, and clearly, unequivocally calling out racist comments when you hear them from anyone in your life.
  #26  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,822
I'm seeing less and less distinction between Fox News and Infowars.
  #27  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 PM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Sounds exhausting, luckily everyone in politics and popular culture has been doing that for 60 years or more so you have momentum.
I keep meaning to tell you that you are one weird dude.
  #28  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I think we still have a ways to go.

Fox & Friends praises Trump's bigoted tweet telling Democratic congresswomen to leave the United States


But thanks for doing your part, and clearly, unequivocally calling out racist comments when you hear them from anyone in your life.
The real problems here are that Fox & Friends is a talk show masquerading as a news program and too few either don't know or don't care.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-14-2019 at 05:28 PM.
  #29  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
The real problems here are that Fox & Friends is a talk show masquerading as a news program and too few either don't know or don't care.
Talk show? I thought it was a KKK infomercial.
  #30  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Talk show? I thought it was a KKK infomercial.
Nah, the KKK has too much self respect to be sponsored by the creepy pillow guy.
  #31  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:54 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
I mean it the same thread, every week. Just keep one on-going like the troll or trump ones. If two people on back to back days posted name your favorite soda, they would be merged, or one closed.

I was advised in a previous thread that too many posts in one thread is bad form, and I dont wish to derail the OP's thread, so I will vacate now.
The reason you see threads about people like this and the band who has an evil flag is purely due to people wanting to demonstrate a certain level of wokeness. Why folks waste energy on a random person when there are nations like China and North Korea with legitimate concentration camps and issues that are several orders of magnitude worse is bizarre.

Last edited by octopus; 07-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.
  #32  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:56 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
The reason you see threads about people like this and the band who has an evil flag is purely due to people wanting to demonstrate a certain level of wokeness. Why folks waste energy on a random person when there are nations like China and North Korea with legitimate concentration camps and issues that are several orders of magnitude worse is bizarre.
Or maybe some folks are actually really concerned by racism in their own neighborhoods and communities? Sure, I suppose some could be liars spewing bullshit for silly reasons like demonstrating "wokeness"... but you really believe that every single critic of American racists is a liar?
  #33  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
It's bizarre that we don't want to become like North Korea?

I guess that would be fine with you, but...


I suppose this is like the "argument" that you can't comment on global warming issues, unless you live in a cave and eat only grubs.
  #34  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,751
Meh. The eight-legged pony is showing off his "concern for virtue signalling" trick again.
  #35  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
"Anyone who exhibits even the tiniest bit of empathy is virtue signalling"

Said the sociopath.
  #36  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Or maybe some folks are actually really concerned by racism in their own neighborhoods and communities? Sure, I suppose some could be liars spewing bullshit for silly reasons like demonstrating "wokeness"... but you really believe that every single critic of American racists is a liar?
I think itís more a case, for most here at least, of misplaced priorities and irrationally disproportionately commenting on what is near and familiar. However, it is sad that billions of people live in conditions far worse with no commentary. That in itself seems like unconscious bigotry.

That said, there are some who want the accusation of racism, sexism, ___ism to be such a toxic weapon that the Pavlovian response of the mob can be used to silence or destroy ideological opponents.
  #37  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
White people in the USA South, as well as in many places in the North, interacted routinely with black people all of the time. They did so during slavery. They did so during Jim Crow. It most certainly didn't make them not racist.
did not interact with them as equals from birth. Did not grow up with minorities as friends, neighbors and equals. Knew them as property only, or lessers (govt approved).

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 07:25 PM.
  #38  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
The reason you see threads about people like this and the band who has an evil flag is purely due to people wanting to demonstrate a certain level of wokeness. Why folks waste energy on a random person when there are nations like China and North Korea with legitimate concentration camps and issues that are several orders of magnitude worse is bizarre.
Iíd focus on one of those countries over problems in the US if I lived there. But I donít.

I donít stop pulling weeds because the guy across the street has more weeds than me. I donít care about his weeds, I care about where I live.

I mean, yes if it got to the point of hurting property values or becoming a public health hazard I might do something about it (talk to him, go to the housing authority, contact the city, whatever). But what I wonít do is figure it gives me an excuse to ignore my own.
  #39  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
The reason you see threads about people like this and the band who has an evil flag is purely due to people wanting to demonstrate a certain level of wokeness. Why folks waste energy on a random person when there are nations like China and North Korea with legitimate concentration camps and issues that are several orders of magnitude worse is bizarre.
The reason you see threads like this is because people like me love America. So we hate to see people like Donald Trump hurting our country. And we hate to see people like you cheering him on.
  #40  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The reason you see threads like this is because people like me love America. So we hate to see people like Donald Trump hurting our country. And we hate to see people like you cheering him on.
respectfully disagree in this case. this OP concerns a doddering old fool who grew up in the pre-Civil Rights Era south. Trumps not empowering him to do anything- he's never had a minority tenant in the 50 years he's owned the place. It's not like he always had black tenants, now Trumps racism gave him the power to make it whites only. His particular breed is a dying one. Archie Bunker is dead, his friends are dead or dying.
  #41  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
Sure. Racism is pretty much gone... It only exists in doddering old fools who will be gone soon. So why get excited about it. Just relax - there is not a problem to see here. Look away.

Jesus.
  #42  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I think itís more a case, for most here at least, of misplaced priorities and irrationally disproportionately commenting on what is near and familiar. However, it is sad that billions of people live in conditions far worse with no commentary. That in itself seems like unconscious bigotry.
There's plenty of commentary. But people tend to talk about their own communities a whole lot more than others. It's entirely reasonable to look at how one's own community can be improved. It's even possible to do this while also being critical of authoritarian regimes like NK.
  #43  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Sure. Racism is pretty much gone... It only exists in doddering old fools who will be gone soon. So why get excited about it. Just relax - there is not a problem to see here. Look away.

Jesus.
Well actually yes Jesus *could* eradicate it if he really wanted to, I would think? why *does* he allow it?

Would love to hear your plan to 100% eradicate racism. Its not like smallpox you know.
While youre at it, could you come up with one to erase sexism? How about to stop all bullies, domestic abusers and the like?

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 07:59 PM.
  #44  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
respectfully disagree in this case. this OP concerns a doddering old fool who grew up in the pre-Civil Rights Era south. Trumps not empowering him to do anything- he's never had a minority tenant in the 50 years he's owned the place. It's not like he always had black tenants, now Trumps racism gave him the power to make it whites only. His particular breed is a dying one. Archie Bunker is dead, his friends are dead or dying.

You really are a stupid one. Trump's shenanigans do not give the old racist piwer to break the law. It empowers him to voice his racism today, sixty years into the Civil Rights Era, though. And that should teach him a very expensive lesson. The government agency responsible should now be looking into his rental practices to see how many people he discriminated against and hit him in the wallet for that in addition to taking action against the two latest bigoted stunts.
  #45  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You really are a stupid one. Trump's shenanigans do not give the old racist piwer to break the law. It empowers him to voice his racism today, sixty years into the Civil Rights Era, though. And that should teach him a very expensive lesson. The government agency responsible should now be looking into his rental practices to see how many people he discriminated against and hit him in the wallet for that in addition to taking action against the two latest bigoted stunts.
Actually Monty, if you read my post, I said this sort of outing of this particular gentleman does have a positive- if he is breaking housing discrimination laws, he should be sued into bankruptcy.

But Trump isnt empowering him to do anything- he was doing this same thing under every President since Nixon probably. He was *caught* under Trump, he didnt *start* because of Trump. And he wasnt *voicing* anything, he was engaging in illegal housing discrimination. His only statement was he has black friends, which is cliche, but not hate speech in any sense of the word. Horrible person, but not a Trump creation.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 08:19 PM.
  #46  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Well actually yes Jesus *could* eradicate it if he really wanted to, I would think? why *does* he allow it?

Would love to hear your plan to 100% eradicate racism. Its not like smallpox you know.
While youre at it, could you come up with one to erase sexism? How about to stop all bullies, domestic abusers and the like?
You will never eradicate bigotry. Racism is just one form of it; a form that in recent history (and to this day) leads to murder and violence and genocide. It’s entirely conceivable to one day eliminate racism though it would take something extreme. In time, if the worldwide population became homogeneous enough that everyone was one blended race, that’s one way. Or if we made contact with extraterrestrials and they were so different from humans that things like “race” no longer mattered in comparison, that might do it. Or if we had humanoid AI automatons walking around to interact with (another kind of alien). I could see the issue of race effectively vanishing in one of those situations.

But bigotry and prejudice will never go away. There will always be something that people will use to divide “us” and “them”, and will unfairly discriminate against “them”. You will never stamp that out, whether it’s about skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, favorite sports team... There will be something.

That doesn’t mean you don’t still try anyway. You try knowing that you will ultimately fail, because as long as people try, things will get better. Not perfect, but better.

But you don’t say that things are better so we get to relax and stop trying. And you don’t stop trying because it’ll never be perfect. Perfect is the enemy of the good.

Last edited by Atamasama; 07-14-2019 at 08:19 PM.
  #47  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
You will never eradicate bigotry. Racism is just one form of it; a form that in recent history (and to this day) leads to murder and violence and genocide. It’s entirely conceivable to one day eliminate racism though it would take something extreme. In time, if the worldwide population became homogeneous enough that everyone was one blended race, that’s one way. Or if we made contact with extraterrestrials and they were so different from humans that things like “race” no longer mattered in comparison, that might do it. Or if we had humanoid AI automatons walking around to interact with (another kind of alien). I could see the issue of race effectively vanishing in one of those situations.

But bigotry and prejudice will never go away. There will always be something that people will use to divide “us” and “them”, and will unfairly discriminate against “them”. You will never stamp that out, whether it’s about skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, favorite sports team... There will be something.

That doesn’t mean you don’t still try anyway. You try knowing that you will ultimately fail, because as long as people try, things will get better. Not perfect, but better.

But you don’t say that things are better so we get to relax and stop trying. And you don’t stop trying because it’ll never be perfect. Perfect is the enemy of the good.
I agree, and I agree every time this happens, you should post it online so anyone who sees it and knows the person knows they are scum.

My opinion was just it happens several times a week or so, way too common for a pit thread, especially when its not some young teens, but instead a 90 year old redneck coot.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 08:25 PM.
  #48  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Well actually yes Jesus *could* eradicate it if he really wanted to, I would think? why *does* he allow it?

Would love to hear your plan to 100% eradicate racism. I
"If you can't eradicate racism 100% with one simple plan, then it is pointless to do anything to fight it. Might as well just accept it and do nothing."

I'm amazed at how often this asinine trope is trotted out.
  #49  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
respectfully disagree in this case. this OP concerns a doddering old fool who grew up in the pre-Civil Rights Era south. Trumps not empowering him to do anything- he's never had a minority tenant in the 50 years he's owned the place.
If you don't think Trump is empowering racism, you're a fucking idiot:

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/1...fascist-right/
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/12/polit...ump/index.html
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blog...goes-wild.html
  #50  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
"If you can't eradicate racism 100% with one simple plan, then it is pointless to do anything to fight it. Might as well just accept it and do nothing."

I'm amazed at how often this asinine trope is trotted out.
Your sixth post stating the same basic rhetorical thought.

Care to address how to eradicate racism, specifically in the hearts of 90 year old hillbillies?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017