Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 PM

"False" noises like the camera noise that cell phones make

Are there any other noises made by technology that mimic a past noise that was an intrinsic part of the action, like the subject noise?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM

This one may surprise you.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Some pure electric cars also have gadgets installed to make noises so pedestrians can hear them coming; while in some cases these are more like a car horn or the "beep-beep-beep" of a truck or a forklift that's backing up, in other cases they're basically mimicking the sounds made by a more old-fashioned car (engine noises and so on).

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 07-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Are there any other noises made by technology that mimic a past noise that was an intrinsic part of the action, like the subject noise?
Cell phones that ring like it is 1965? Or electronic doorbells that mimic gongs or chimes? White noise machines with rainfall on the roof. POS card readers that ring like a cash register opening when it is time to remove the card.

ETA: Outside alarms that mimic air horn / air raid sirens.

Last edited by PoppaSan; 07-16-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: eta
Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM

I believe in the past when you called someone and heard the brrrrrr (pause) brrrrr (pause)it was actually the on/off signal activating the bell or ringer on the physical phone of the person you were calling.
Today you still hear the brrrr (pause) brrrr (pause) but for all you know the person has a ring tone of Stairway to Heaven.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:31 PM

As I understand it the clicking sound made by cars' turn signals is another example. In old cars the sound was made by a device called a thermal flasher, an electro-mechanical device that would physically turn the lights on an off as it heated up and cooled off, and it clicked as it did so. Nowadays the flashing is done electronically, and the clicking sound is added so you know you turn signal is on.

In fact my 2019 Mazda actually has an option to adjust the turn signal volume in the infotainment system, although it's disabled in mine. I guess you have to get the top trim level if you want to change your turn signal volume.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 PM

ATM machines make an unnecessary counting-out-the-money noise purely to reassure customers that the machine is doing something.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSan View Post
ETA: Outside alarms that mimic air horn / air raid sirens.
Good one. I believe they mostly mimic pneumatic sirens.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
As I understand it the clicking sound made by cars' turn signals is another example. In old cars the sound was made by a device called a thermal flasher, an electro-mechanical device that would physically turn the lights on an off as it heated up and cooled off, and it clicked as it did so. Nowadays the flashing is done electronically, and the clicking sound is added so you know you turn signal is on.

In fact my 2019 Mazda actually has an option to adjust the turn signal volume in the infotainment system, although it's disabled in mine. I guess you have to get the top trim level if you want to change your turn signal volume.
By any chance can you download custom turn signal sounds?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

The AI attendent can be heard 'typing' while looking up my account when I call Comcast.
Gambling machines have fake coin drop sounds. The wheels on a 'mechanical' slot machine are predetermined, too.
Most church bells around here are electronic speakers. Same with a lot of 'pipe' organs.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

No, but that would be awesome! Although you know some immature jokers would just set their turn signals to fart noises if they could.

And I'm disappointed that I can't adjust the turn signal volume in my car, because honestly I find the default too quiet, and I keep looking down at the dash to double check that the turn signal is actually on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
The AI attendent can be heard 'typing' while looking up my account when I call Comcast.
Good one. And there are also the "typing" sounds from most on screen smartphone/tablet keyboards.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 07-16-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Some pure electric cars also have gadgets installed to make noises so pedestrians can hear them coming; while in some cases these are more like a car horn or the "beep-beep-beep" of a truck or a forklift that's backing up, in other cases they're basically mimicking the sounds made by a more old-fashioned car (engine noises and so on).
I believe that London now requires EVs to make noise when they're moving below a certain speed so as to alert blind pedestrians. The only thing is, they don't specify what noise needs to be made, so each manufacturer will come up with their own. Or let the driver choose a noise. When EVs become more common, there's going to be a real cacophony when cars start off after a red light.

As far as the OP, Harley Davidson electric motorcycles will/could make noise like their gas-burning forebears. Don't know if they'll vibrate like them too, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:

I don't know. Probably sometime soon. My 2018 sounds to me like fine teak sticks being clicked together. I don't know why I think teak, but it sounds so pleasant!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

This thread made me realize that I had no idea how cell phones and the like actually produce their various sounds, clicks, and vibrations, and so led me to haptics. Some cool stuff out there.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
As far as the OP, Harley Davidson electric motorcycles will/could make noise like their gas-burning forebears. Don't know if they'll vibrate like them too, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Correction on this. I misunderstood some article I read on them. Instead they sound like: this
Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM

I built this Heathkit electronic metronome when I was a kid.
It used a wooden sounding board with a washer glued to it to produce its “tick.” The washer was attracted by an electromagnet.
Heath made a big deal of it’s “authentic sound,” and it did sound very nice...
Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Lots of cars are now pumping engine noise into the cabin via the speakers.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
No, but that would be awesome! Although you know some immature jokers would just set their turn signals to fart noises if they could.

What do you mean 'mmature'??? I'm a highly-trained Flatulist. (Studied at the playground of Syndal South Primary school during recess. I still practise most days, as well......)

I'd actually like some Murray Walker - perhaps 'He's going for the inside line!' or the legendary 'I'm not sure what's happening here'.

Actually, my wife usually says that when I'm driving anyway.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
What do you mean 'mmature'??? I'm a highly-trained Flatulist. (Studied at the playground of Syndal South Primary school during recess. I still practise most days, as well......)

Pfftt. The preferred term is "fartiste".
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM

My e-reader can make page turning sounds. Stupid.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post

Usually preceded by "All right, let me look up your account." Which makes me want to scream, "You're not a person, you're a bunch of electrons bouncing along a silicon highway!" But it would probably be offended and cut me off.

(I used to program interactive phone applications, and I would no more have added these gimmicks than flap my arms and fly to the moon. People are people and computers are computers, and I have no desire to blur the divide.)

One that struck me a while ago is that when an Amtrak train pulls into a station one can hear a steam-engine clanging bell even though there's no physical bell in sight. Obviously done for nostalgia value, and I expect at some time they'll introduce the "chuff-chuff-chuff" sound when it starts up.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
One that struck me a while ago is that when an Amtrak train pulls into a station one can hear a steam-engine clanging bell even though there's no physical bell in sight. Obviously done for nostalgia value, and I expect at some time they'll introduce the "chuff-chuff-chuff" sound when it starts up.
I don't think that's just for nostalgia; I'm pretty sure there's a federal safety requirement that trains sound a bell at certain times when there's likely to be people nearby, like when they are pulling into a station. Freight locomotives have them, too (Edit: See the freight train that passed through at around 2:30 in this video, for example. I doubt freight companies care about nostalgia). Although I don't know if it specifically has to be a bell sound, possibly something like an electronic beep might meet the requirement, but it always seems to be a bell.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 07-16-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 PM

The keyboard on my phone makes clacking noises as I type.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

When the first electronic display pinball machines made the scene in the 1970s, they figured folks would miss the sound of the counter reels clicking away as the players scored, so they resorted to adding mechanical noise to the rest of the machine sounds.

Here's video of a Williams "Hot Tip" machine from 1977, with a blank counter wheel embedded in the bowels of the machine (link goes to the place where the guy opens it up and explains it), just to ensure players heard real mechanical counter sounds.

They also had a mechanical knocker thing that would make a sound when a free ball or free game was earned.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
When the first electronic display pinball machines made the scene in the 1970s, they figured folks would miss the sound of the counter reels clicking away as the players scored, so they resorted to adding mechanical noise to the rest of the machine sounds.

Here's video of a Williams "Hot Tip" machine from 1977, with a blank counter wheel embedded in the bowels of the machine (link goes to the place where the guy opens it up and explains it), just to ensure players heard real mechanical counter sounds.

They also had a mechanical knocker thing that would make a sound when a free ball or free game was earned.
Missed the edit window...

The guy demonstrates the fake score reel in action here.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I believe in the past when you called someone and heard the brrrrrr (pause) brrrrr (pause)it was actually the on/off signal activating the bell or ringer on the physical phone of the person you were calling.
Today you still hear the brrrr (pause) brrrr (pause) but for all you know the person has a ring tone of Stairway to Heaven.
I think it might have been "False" from the very start.

With early telephones the operator did not connect you until after the other party had answered: there would have been no connection while she was ringing the other party. Dial tones were introduced with automatic dialling: the dial tone is generated at the exchange. It seems reasonable to believe that the "ringing" tone was introduced at the same time and in the same way.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

A Ring wireless doorbell makes a door chime sound. It's not very good, but you can tell what it's supposed to be.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
I think it might have been "False" from the very start.

With early telephones the operator did not connect you until after the other party had answered: there would have been no connection while she was ringing the other party. Dial tones were introduced with automatic dialling: the dial tone is generated at the exchange. It seems reasonable to believe that the "ringing" tone was introduced at the same time and in the same way.
How did the party being called know that someone was calling them?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
How did the party being called know that someone was calling them?
The operator would ring their phone.
There were a variety off rings - for party lines, each customer had their own ring.
There was also a “fast ring” for emergencies.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
The operator would ring their phone.
There were a variety off rings - for party lines, each customer had their own ring.
There was also a “fast ring” for emergencies.
But Melbourne claimed that ringing was introduced only when dial tones were invented. What was used before then?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
That made me remember something -- if you're calling a cell phone that tone may not even indicate the other party's phone is ringing in some cases. It's more like something to listen to so you know something is happening while the network locates their phone and figures out what tower to route your call to.

Unfortunately I learned that from a rather sad story of a missing person's family getting false hope because her phone still "rang" when they tried to call it, so someone must be charging it but not answering. But that wasn't actually the case; her phone was dead and off and the network was just playing the "ringing" sound when it was trying to find what tower it was on, and then sending the calls to voicemail when it couldn't locate it.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 07-16-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
But Melbourne claimed that ringing was introduced only when dial tones were invented. What was used before then?
I think Melbourne was talking about the ring noise that the caller heard to indicate that the there was a phone ringing at the other end.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Yes, when the Air Malaysia flight disappeared, relatives didn't believe that it had crashed because if they tried calling the passengers' cells, they heard the ringing tone, and assumed that meant the phone was still live, just not being answered.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Yes, when the Air Malaysia flight disappeared, relatives didn't believe that it had crashed because if they tried calling the passengers' cells, they heard the ringing tone, and assumed that meant the phone was still live, just not being answered.
Ah yes, that was where I learned that. I knew it was something like that but I couldn't remember what the person (or people I guess) were victims of, just that when people tried to call them they thought they must be still alive because their phones still "rang" when they called.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazpacho View Post
I think Melbourne was talking about the ring noise that the caller heard to indicate that the there was a phone ringing at the other end.
Oh! The tone that the caller heard on their receiver. Yeah, wasn't even synchronized to the ringing of the phone on the other end.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ringing Tones or “ringback” are part of the Call Progress Tones. They have been more-or-less standardized since the 1960’s or 70’s, but I couldn’t find out their history. I think it would take going to a library, or an Alta Vista search - Google is far too lax with it’s search results.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Ringing Tones or “ringback” are part of the Call Progress Tones. They have been more-or-less standardized since the 1960’s or 70’s, but I couldn’t find out their history. I think it would take going to a library, or an Alta Vista search - Google is far too lax with it’s search results.
Going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole for Call Progress Tones, I was lead to the page for Comfort tone, which is an artificial background noise used to reassure the listener that a transmission is still being received when otherwise there might be dead silence on the line.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, yes you can!

https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/turn_signal
Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
The operator would say something lie "ringing". and "connecting you now".
Old 07-17-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole for Call Progress Tones, I was lead to the page for Comfort tone, which is an artificial background noise used to reassure the listener that a transmission is still being received when otherwise there might be dead silence on the line.
There is also -- I don't know what it is called -- the sound they feed back from your microphone to your ear, to assure you that you are talking and that other people can hear you.

In an old rotary phone, where you pushed the earpiece against your ear, tha handset was designed to channel anough sound up the handpiece from the mouth to the ear, so that you could hear yourself talking.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:28 AM

I have an electric kettle that has a fake 'whistle' like the steam whistle you always used to get in stovetop kettles.

It's actually triggered off the same mechanism as the shutoff switch. So if you switch the kettle off early it still whistles, even though the water might only be lukewarm. And it whistles from the base, not the kettle itself, which can also be a bit weird
Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
ATM machines make an unnecessary counting-out-the-money noise purely to reassure customers that the machine is doing something.
Is that actually a fake noise, though, or do they just make the counting mechanism itself unnecessarily noisy?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
There is also -- I don't know what it is called -- the sound they feed back from your microphone to your ear, to assure you that you are talking and that other people can hear you.

In an old rotary phone, where you pushed the earpiece against your ear, tha handset was designed to channel anough sound up the handpiece from the mouth to the ear, so that you could hear yourself talking.
It is called side-tone. Makes using a telephone much easier.

It was achieved electrically, not by acoustic ducting in the handset.

See :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone
Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Re: Typewriter sounds.

There's a typing app that simulates classic typewriter noises. Named after one of the co-developers. Hanx Writer.

But it was "Hanx"'s co-star Greg Kinnear in You've Got Mail that had a thing for real typewriters and their sounds.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
Is that actually a fake noise, though, or do they just make the counting mechanism itself unnecessarily noisy?
Pretty sure it is fake; you get the exact same sound regardless of the number of bills being dispensed. I did google it and consensus was that it is played through a speaker, though none of those sources I would consider authoritative.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I believe that London now requires EVs to make noise when they're moving below a certain speed so as to alert blind pedestrians. The only thing is, they don't specify what noise needs to be made, so each manufacturer will come up with their own. Or let the driver choose a noise. When EVs become more common, there's going to be a real cacophony when cars start off after a red light.
that's also a requirement in the US per FMVSS 141. the feature is called AVAS (Approaching Vehicle Alert System).

Quote:
it's not fake, though, the output of the electric motor goes into a straight bevel gearset. Straight cut gears make noise. it does have the upside of not having the shear losses of the usual hypoid gearset, though.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure it is fake; you get the exact same sound regardless of the number of bills being dispensed. I did google it and consensus was that it is played through a speaker, though none of those sources I would consider authoritative.
This Reddit thread is fairly old but several people who claim to be ATM engineers reckon the sound is real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearn..._artificially/
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
That could be. If it is, it's synchronized, in my experience, to the number of bills being dispensed. If I take out $500, I can count 25 clicks for twenty-five $20 bills. If I take out $100, I can count 5 clicks for five $20 bills. It's reassuring nonetheless.

Last edited by Personal; 07-17-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
According to this review of the Harley Davidson electric motorbike, it does have an artificial vibration when "idling" to let you feel it is turned on.

Quote:
Another way the LiveWire creates a connection with the rider is through its “heart beat pulse”. This one threw me for a loop when they described it to us in the presentation, but feeling it made all the difference. Essentially, when you’re sitting still but the bike is on and ready to ride, there is a slight haptic response in the handlebars in the form of a pulsing feeling. It’s not overpowering, but you feel it. And the point is to let the rider know that the bike is on and capable of rocketing off at any moment, lest the lack of engine noise lull him or her into a false sense of security. Essentially it is a gentle reminder that the bike is ready to lurch, even though you can’t hear anything.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:44 AM

"False" noises like the camera noise that cell phones make

Eminem's "Lose Yourself" song (and countless others, no doubt) has clear artificial "gramophone stylus on a record" noise added. Clearly audible at the beginning.

https://youtu.be/nPA2czkOsFE