Old 07-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Natalie Portman is the new Thor

At ComicCon it was revealed that the role of Thor in "Thor 4" would be played by Natalie Portman(as the character Jane Foster). I can see it happening because it already happened in the comics, and the changeover was quite successful.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 AM

Isn't Thor's Hammer as big as she is?

Should be interesting though I'm surprised a larger & younger actress was cast for the role.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Should be interesting though I'm surprised a larger & younger actress was cast for the role.
Estelle Getty from The Golden Girls would have been perfect.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 AM

I don't care about the woman as Thor angle but Portman was one of the worst parts off the MCU and they didn't even bother having her film new stuff for Endgame. I might be excited if it was Tessa Thompson as new Thor but Portman?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Yeah, a female Thor is fine, but Thor as waif?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Her character in the comics is wasting away from cancer before takes up the mantle. Thor Odinson himself even initially dismisses her as a possible secret identity of the new Thor because of it.

But [s]he who is found worthy of wielding Mjolnir "shall possess the power of Thor." She looks a lot beefier after the tranformation.

So much of what we see is CGI now, so I wouldn't put it past them to beef her up when she's in Thor mode.

Last edited by BigT; 07-21-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Here's an article with the actual reveal comic.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Very cool.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't care about the woman as Thor angle but Portman was one of the worst parts off the MCU and they didn't even bother having her film new stuff for Endgame. I might be excited if it was Tessa Thompson as new Thor but Portman?
Why, exactly? Being a giant Natalie Portman fan and not an MCU fan at all, she is the only reason that Thor was one of the two* MCU movies that I've seen, and Thor 4 is now going to be the third. So what--exactly--was it that she did so awful in the movie?

*Guardians of the Galaxy was the other one--curiosity got to me.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 07-21-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I dont get it. Thor is a name, a person, a deity. Cap picked up the hammer, didnt become Thor. There's a female Superman- called Supergirl. Monel isnt Superman, despite having his powers.

How can she become Thor? Grow a beard? Take over his memories? There's no Norse female deities who can do this? Plenty are cool enuf.

Or is it just that she picks up the hammer and takes over some of his duties?

Or is this just Marvel stirring shit up like Cap being Hydra?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I dont get it. Thor is a name, a person, a deity. Cap picked up the hammer, didnt become Thor. There's a female Superman- called Supergirl. Monel isnt Superman, despite having his powers.

How can she become Thor? Grow a beard? Take over his memories? There's no Norse female deities who can do this? Plenty are cool enuf.

It's merchandising. They have to keep the franchise fresh for the fanboys (of any gender).
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post

Bear in mind that, in Marvel canon, from the start, Mjolnir has born the inscription: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

In the books, a number of people who have been worthy have wielded Mjolnir, and thus been granted "the power of Thor", most notably Jane Foster and (longer ago) an alien named Beta Ray Bill.

As noted upthread, the Thor book had a fairly long story arc, three or four years ago, in which Thor Odinson realized he was unworthy of Mjolnir, and could no longer pick it up. Mjolnir (which is, itself, sentient) sought out a worthy wielder, to pick up the mantle that Thor Odinson no longer could; that person wound up being Jane Foster, and, when she was wielding the hammer, she was transformed into a tall, muscular blonde woman, and had all of the storm-control powers of Thor. Taika Waititi has said that he has read that run of the book, and it was an inspiration for this upcoming film.

IMO, that run of the book was very well done, but YMMV.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Bear in mind that, in Marvel canon, from the start, Mjolnir has born the inscription: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."
Sure. Power of Thor. No problem.

His name?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM

Yes, anyone who can pick up the hammer becomes Thor. (Probably from mutle thrain.)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
So what--exactly--was it that she did so awful in the movie?
Her acting was terrible. Mind you the character was nothing great either but she barely seemed to be trying. Even the MCU looked as though it was trying to lampshade/handwave the thing off across other movies and, as I said, they used purely recycled footage of her for Endgame* so it seemed even more jarring to hear that they plan to make a movie out of her. She's felt like an embarrassing appendix to the franchise for ages. I don't have a better "exactly" than that since I'm not about to rewatch the films to take notes on her acting but "Portman was bad in the Thor movies" has never felt like an especially argumentative stance in conversations about MCU.

*Apparently they got her to record a couple new lines for Endgame "heard at distance" which doesn't make it less odd. Like they got her to literally phone it in.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-21-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, anyone who can pick up the hammer becomes Thor.
Cap didnt.

Mr Rogers didnt, either.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, maybe it worked in the comics, but the MCU Jane Foster just didn't work. Thor: Ragnarok made it pretty clear that Thor Odinsson and Jane weren't an item any more, which one would think would put her out of the picture. I'd much rather see a Valkyrie movie (with or without the hammer) than a Jane Foster movie.

Plus, they'd have to deal with the minor issue that Mjollnir doesn't even exist any more. They borrowed it from the past for Endgame, but then they put it back. Is she going to wield Stormbreaker instead? Because while that's an impressive weapon, it's not even particularly associated with the role of Thor. You might as well say that the next gladiator to use the mace that Sparky used in the Grandmaster's arena "counts as Thor", because hey, it's totally the same weapon he used!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Plus, they'd have to deal with the minor issue that Mjollnir doesn't even exist any more. They borrowed it from the past for Endgame, but then they put it back. Is she going to wield Stormbreaker instead?
My guess is that this is going to be one of the splinter multiverse thingies where Capt returns the hammer and Reality stone (sludge?) to Asgard. It'd kind of have to be, I'd think.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 PM

I like the idea that all the authenticity fanatics have spent the last ten years getting all blue in the face about how "this didn't happen in the comics!" and now they're just gonna have to deal with it.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Addressing a couple of points:
1) "Natalie Portman couldn't play Thor Foster - she's too small and waiflike"
Does that mean you object to Bill Bixby/Edward Norton/Mark Ruffalo as HulK? Or Waititi as Korg? They'll (most likely) do some sort of embiggening when she's being Thor, just as they did with Ruffalo when he was being Hulk. Lots of little dots...
She'll be in her own skin being Jane Foster, and CGI'd into being Thor, I'm pretty sure. Think of the difference between Adora and She-Ra. Same person, different forms.
2) "Thor Odinsson and Jane are no longer an item, therefore she's no longer in the picture"
Does she have to be dating Odinsson to be worthy of the power of Thor?
3) "Natalie Portman sucks as an actor"
Well, to be honest, I wasn't impressed by her turn as Foster in Thors one or two, but she's done good work in other movies, and let's face it, she didn't have much of a character in the previous Thor movies. I'm still a little doubtful, but I'll see how it works out now that she'll have a little meat to chew on. If nothing else, Waititi and Marvel in general have earned a fair amount of faith, and I'm willing to go along.

Last edited by galen ubal; 07-21-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
3) "Natalie Portman sucks as an actor"
Point of order, I never said that she sucks as an actor. She just sucked in the MCU Thor movies. Maybe she doesn't play that role well, maybe she just didn't give a shit and phoned in her performance... I dunno. But she was somewhere between awful and forgettable depending on how charitable you're feeling. I don't know anyone who left those feeling like "Man, I sure could use more of Portman's Jane Foster in the next movies..."

I'd be more interested if I heard that there was going to be a Paltrow/Potts led Iron Man movie than a Portman/Foster Thor. Maybe it'll be great, I'm just honestly surprised that, in the context of the MCU so far, anyone thought "You know who we need more of...?"
Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Point of order, I never said that she sucks as an actor. She just sucked in the MCU Thor movies. Maybe she doesn't play that role well, maybe she just didn't give a shit and phoned in her performance... I dunno. But she was somewhere between awful and forgettable depending on how charitable you're feeling. I don't know anyone who left those feeling like "Man, I sure could use more of Portman's Jane Foster in the next movies..."

I'd be more interested if I heard that there was going to be a Paltrow/Potts led Iron Man movie than a Portman/Foster Thor. Maybe it'll be great, I'm just honestly surprised that, in the context of the MCU so far, anyone thought "You know who we need more of...?"
H'm. I thought I was distilling down the comments of a couple of posters - possibly I was conflating with other stuff I've read around the web. I didn't mean to misrepresent your particular comments, anyway. Mea culpa.
And, again, I largely agree with you on your comments on her performance in the Thor movies; I'm hoping a better role will bring out a better performance, that we know she can do.
I think that Waititi, and Marvel in general, said "this is a good story, and it's one we want to tell," and that's why they went with it. I'm hoping that Portman can summon up the performance that the story deserves.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 PM

They should have gotten the actress that plays Brienne of Tarth from game of thrones or whatever to play the female Thor, she has the look of a woman that could wield the hammer of Thor.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
At least with Potts they set up multiple prior movies with her wearing Iron Man armor. Jane Foster they spent a similar amount of time writing her out of the MCU.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 PM

I don't have any problem with Portman's acting; I thought the character was kind of wooden and distant because, hello, nerdy scientist with no social life? It made sense to me.

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is how they're going to ramp up from "nerdy scientist" to "deserves the power of Thor" in one movie without just re-making the first movie.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
I don't have any problem with Portman's acting; I thought the character was kind of wooden and distant because, hello, nerdy scientist with no social life? It made sense to me.

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is how they're going to ramp up from "nerdy scientist" to "deserves the power of Thor" in one movie without just re-making the first movie.
Perhaps the "Loki" miniseries will lead up to it, as "WandaVision" will apparently lead up to "Doctor Strange"? Dunno. At this point, it's all speculation.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth galen ubal:

2) "Thor Odinsson and Jane are no longer an item, therefore she's no longer in the picture"
They don't need to be an item for her to be worthy; they need to be an item for her to be in the picture. There are 7 billion people on Earth. Some very low percentage are worthy... 1%? 0.01%? But even with a very low percentage, that still leaves a lot of potential worthies. Why would Jane specifically be chosen? If she's hanging around with Odinsson a lot, then it makes sense: She's the closest, or she's the one he specifically entrusts the hammer to once he can't wield it any more, or whatever. But if they're not together, then why her?

Quote:
Quoth Ethilrist:

I'm exactly the sort of person her character should have resonated with. I'm also a nerdy scientist with almost no social life, and I even have the same subfield of specialization. And, well, she didn't. Her performance just fell completely flat to me. It's not a dig on her acting skills in general: I've seen other things where she was just fine. But apparently, "nerdy" just isn't in her range.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
In the movies, at least, it seemed like one of the main points of Ragnarok was that Thor was Thor, not because of a magic hammer but because... he was Thor. I suppose that doesn't preclude the hammer making people Thor-like but it seems weird that you'd carry around a hammer that gave you the power of you. It's like Peter Parker having his spider mojo and also wearing a special suit that gives him the proportional strength of a spider.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-21-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Nice to see we're already nitpicking a movie that hasn't been written yet.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
But you see, she is not getting the POWER of Thor, she BECOMES Thor, which is what I dont like.

Thor isnt a job title, it's his name.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 PM

<Let's out big sigh and puts head on desk>

Let's just say that I'm not a fan of Natalie Portman.

I certainly cannot imagine her as Thor. There's no way she's going to get sufficiently bulked up and muscular to be even remotely believable.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I certainly cannot imagine her as Thor. There's no way she's going to get sufficiently bulked up and muscular to be even remotely believable.
As noted upthread:

- The MCU already has examples of bulked-up characters played by decidedly non-bulked-up actors, thanks to CGI (e.g., Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk)

- In the "Jane as Thor" cycle of the Thor comic book, Mjolnir's magic transformed Jane's body from that of a thin woman who was dying of breast cancer to a big, muscular woman.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 AM

Quite possible they get someone else to play her in Thor-form (especially if she's rocking the helmet that hides the top half of her face), or they could just CGI it as mentioned above.

I like Natalie Portman but agree that her spot in the Thor movies didn't work very well; she seemed disinterested. I know she didn't like playing the damsel in distress so maybe being the heroine will get her more interested.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:45 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
<Let's out big sigh and puts head on desk>

Let's just say that I'm not a fan of Natalie Portman.

Actually, this is something I'm really looking forward to seeing. She's a genuinely small woman. He listed height is 5'3" but sells smaller. Making that work will be great.

It's kind of like seeing Joan Jett live. She's listed at 5'5" but live she looks absolutely teeny - her guitars looks two sizes too big - but she absolutely fills a room/hall/stadium when she plays. I want to see if Portman can pull the same thing off as Thor. I'm willing to bet she can.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:08 AM

I am really looking Forward into how this will work. And all the Valkyrie fanboys can rejoice, as she was stated to be in that same movie. Let us se how they work the FemThor angle, as currently Mjolnir has shifted a bit in the MCU from being the empowering item as seen in Thor 1 to being basically just Dumbos Magic Feather in Ragnarock. Which I am fine with, but it begs the question how Jane Foster wielding Mjölnir works out. Multiverse is an absolute possiblity, as they lean into it with the new Strange movie.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
They don't need to be an item for her to be worthy; they need to be an item for her to be in the picture.
I admit that I haven't actually gotten my hands on the female Thor books--I just know about them from talking with fans and stuff.

But what I was reading sure made it seem like her being with Thor had absolutely nothing to do with why Mjolnir picked her. Thor was completely unaware that she was the new Thor. (I also presume that means she looks quite different powered up.)

Also, any "why her?" question would obviously have to be answered in the movie itself. But remember that very few are worthy, and few still are more than temporarily worthy (like Captain America and Superman were). Worthy doesn't mean "good person."

Plus the other obvious candidate would be Valkyrie, but she's becoming her own thing, rather than female Thor.

Last edited by BigT; 07-22-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, anyone who can pick up the hammer becomes Thor. (Probably from mutle thrain.)
Still waiting for the films to include the line "You're Thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith!"
Old 07-22-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
They don't announce these things years in advance so people don't talk about them.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Plus, if they decide to change course based on the fans thinking they made a mistake, better that they realize that early, when it's still possible to change course, rather than later.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
But what I was reading sure made it seem like her being with Thor had absolutely nothing to do with why Mjolnir picked her. Thor was completely unaware that she was the new Thor. (I also presume that means she looks quite different powered up.)
All of this is correct. Thor Odinson was shocked when he finally discovered that it was Jane -- he had made at least one other (incorrect) guess as to her identity. And, though she wore a helmet with a mask that covered her upper face, Jane-as-Thor also had blonde hair, whereas Jane-as-Jane is a brunette (and, at that time, she was bald, due to the effects of chemotherapy). And, of course, she was also like a foot taller, and far more muscular, as Thor.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:35 AM
SDSAB

I like Portman and think she could do well in the role. Her previous Thor movie appearances certainly weren't her best work (check out Cold Mountain, V for Vendetta and Black Swan for that, IMHO), but I thought she did all right. Unless the reviews are gawdawful, I'll probably see the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
They should have gotten the actress that plays Brienne of Tarth from game of thrones or whatever to play the female Thor, she has the look of a woman that could wield the hammer of Thor.
Heh. That was exactly the actress I was thinking of, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwendoline_Christie

Quote:
Just one more service we offer.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Natalie Portman left the MCU.

I'm not sure I want a "quitter", unless she's locked into a multi-film contract (which I'm sure she would be?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, we're nitpicking a press release etc that has been written. Do try to keep up.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 PM

if people are unhappy wait until they hear George Lucas is the director/writer.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Plus, if they decide to change course based on the fans thinking they made a mistake, better that they realize that early, when it's still possible to change course, rather than later.
Uh huh. Sure. I bet they're right onto that.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:55 PM

Portman did start her career out by playing the part of a bloodthirsty assassin, and did a fairly good job of it.

Obviously, that hasn't been the sort of role that she has played since then but, then again, I don't know that she has really stood out in any role since then either. (I would place Black Swan on the shoulders of Darren Aronofsky and Satoshi Kon, not Portman - no offense to her.)

It does indeed seem to be that the character, in the comics, is in fact a waif at the start.

My guess would be that they will or already have filmed her as she is now and that she'll then go into hiding from the paparazzi for six months, bulking up, and they'll film the rest of the film, using camera angles and other tricks (ala the Hobbits in Peter Jackson's films) to make her seem larger compared to other people than she actually is for all the dramatic/close-up shots. And, of course, for action scenes they'll just go full CGI and make her whatever size they want.

Height is really the key constraint. But height is also purely a function of how close you are standing to the camera. Muscle is easy to add - if you're willing to do the filming in two chunks. I imagine that they have that ability.

I'll be interested in seeing how well she does at "god-like". I would expect that just seeing herself looking like this will go a fair ways towards helping herself get into the mood.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

They will inverse what they did with Chris Evans for the first Captain America.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Natalie Portman left the MCU.

I'm not sure I want a "quitter", unless she's locked into a multi-film contract (which I'm sure she would be?
She did sign a 3-film contract, but they didn't specify in advance which three they would be.

https://www.quora.com/What-happened-...c-Universe-MCU

According to this article, she did a couple lines of voice-over in Endgame, got into the credits, and may have satisfied the 3-film contract requirement, but they did leave the door open for her to make a third movie.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
They will inverse what they did with Chris Evans for the first Captain America.
Too expensive. Much cheaper to hire a fitness coach and put the camera closer to her than everyone else.

Certainly, they could afford going full special effect for every scene with her. But, why do so when you could spend the money more effectively on other things?

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-22-2019 at 10:10 PM.