View Poll Results: What temperature do you set your thermostat to while you sleep?
≤ 67 32 12.90%
68 - 70 38 15.32%
71 - 73 57 22.98%
74 - 76 50 20.16%
77 - 79 27 10.89%
80 - 82 7 2.82%
≥ 83 4 1.61%
other 33 13.31%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2019, 04:33 PM

"We can't ... keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ..."

Inspired by the recent news about the EPA guidelines that you ought to set your thermostat to 82 while you sleep: What temperature do you set your thermostat to while you sleep?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:43 PM

I answered 68-70. I'd keep mine at 74-76, but I'm married. My wife has a .5-degree temperature variance tolerance, mine is more like 20 degrees.

[nitpick]Why is "other" an option?[/nitpick]
Old 08-21-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
... [nitpick]Why is "other" an option?[/nitpick]
In case someone doesn't have a thermostat / doesn't set it while they sleep (perhaps turns it off and opens windows) / doesn't know / etc. I'm just trying to be inclusive here.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 08-21-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Other...I seldom use the air conditioner. When I do, it's usually 80 or 81.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM

I answered other. In SoCal, near the ocean, we set the weather to 75-80 during the day and 65-70 at night. It seems to work pretty reliably.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:09 PM

82? Is that so we can burn more fossil fuels and make the planet more hospitable to our up and coming reptilian overlords? I don't like it when the outdoor summer temperature, in the SUN, is 82.

Left to my own devices I'd keep it in the 50s, but I'm married to a mammal and she would stare me down if I tried to achieve anything lower than 68. I loves heavy blankets (sensory thing) and shedding heat through my dome. I sleep like a baby when I go camping in The Rockies, but I'm a clean freak so I can't stay out too long.

ETA: OOOHHHHH, 82 is to give the AC a rest at night, so don't crank the AC. gotcha. Screw that, if Nature isn't going to chill me down to at least 70 at night, I'll move northward.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 08-21-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 PM

One of our local network affiliates posted a story online about this. I added a comment reminding them that not more than 3-4 weeks ago they interviewed an HVAC expert who strongly recommended picking a temperature and sticking to it. He said people think they're saving money buy raising the temp when they aren't home, but that the savings are small and more than offset by the extra wear and tear on your cooling system. Also (and this would, of course, depend on where you live) air conditioning doesn't just cool the air, it removes humidity. Opening your windows at night may lower the temperature, but it also allows the indoor humidity to match the outside pretty quickly. It can take 8-12 hours to bring it back down, meaning the AC has to run more during that time, costing you more.

We keep ours set at 79 night and day.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM

I'm one of the no AC people in the winter we set it at 60 F but the poll seems set for summer temps and for us its just ambient temp so mid 60s.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:20 PM

We set ours to around 73 on the rare evening that it's hotter than that outside.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
82? Is that so we can burn more fossil fuels and make the planet more hospitable to our up and coming reptilian overlords? I don't like it when the outdoor summer temperature, in the SUN, is 82.

Left to my own devices I'd keep it in the 50s. I loves heavy blankets (sensory thing) and shedding heat through my dome. I sleep like a baby when I go camping, but I'm a clean freak so I can't stay out too long.
I guess I didn't clarify this properly in the OP, but this is a recommendation for the temperature at which your air conditioner kicks on, not your heater. The recommended heat setpoint is 62 while you sleep.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Inspired by the recent news about the EPA guidelines that you ought to set your thermostat to 82 while you sleep: What temperature do you set your thermostat to while you sleep?
LOL at this. Are they expecting Trump to give his next Oval Office address while wearing a mesh tank top?

I can open my windows if I wanted 82 degrees at night, with about 1,000 percent humidity. It'll get down to that temperature eventually...

A/c can get ridiculous in commercial buildings in Texas. Like needing a sweater in the office cold.

I generally keep the house around 76 or so. Even that is warm to sleep in.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:31 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Our a/c pretty much stays at 74. In winter, the furnace is set at 68, but we run our pellet stove constantly, so the furnace rarely kicks on.

If I lived alone, I'd probably set 78 during the summer. If spousal unit had his way, it'd be 68 all summer.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Related topic recently explored in this thread.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 PM

I keep the AC at 76. I've experimented with higher but it seems to not kick on often enough to keep humidity from building up. It doesn't go on for the summer until we get a stretch that is both hot and humid without a lot of cooling down at night. It goes also goes off for the season when the days in late summer/early fall can still hit pretty warm highs. Realistically, I average between 76 and no AC for what is most household's cooling season.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

It makes lots of sense to not run your air conditioner at full all the time: It saves energy and (contrary to what Doug K.'s HVAC guy says) wear and tear. But it seems to me that this suggestion has it backwards. Temperatures in the 80s are tolerable during the day. The worst thing about temperatures that high is that it makes it hard to sleep. If I were going to run the air conditioner for part of the day, it'd be at night.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread, and it does contain a lot of answers that would be applicable to the question asked here too.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I guess I didn't clarify this properly in the OP, but this is a recommendation for the temperature at which your air conditioner kicks on, not your heater. The recommended heat setpoint is 62 while you sleep.
Yeah I got there eventually. I forgot that some folks have to deal with high humidity and temps over 80 at night (just another reason I don't get along with The South). The only temperature targeting I do in Colorado is 'between 70-75' in the winter time. Summer is all about running the swamp cooler during the day, and the house fan at night--gets me to around 75-80 most of the time day or night. I haven't had or wanted AC since...well since I left Georgia in 1994, so it doesn't quickly register with me that people would want to aim DOWN for 82.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 08-21-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 PM

I can only wonder, what's the OP's angle here?

But to answer the poll, I'm stuck in a place that is forever 72. And I don't mind it, but it is a bit chilly for me.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I was sort of expecting your link to be to this thread: Setting the AC higher when away versus a constant temperature.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It makes lots of sense to not run your air conditioner at full all the time: It saves energy and (contrary to what Doug K.'s HVAC guy says) wear and tear. But it seems to me that this suggestion has it backwards. Temperatures in the 80s are tolerable during the day. The worst thing about temperatures that high is that it makes it hard to sleep. If I were going to run the air conditioner for part of the day, it'd be at night.
Yeah, exactly. Plus, bedrooms are usually on the top floor of the house, where it's warmer. I usually set it at 75 during the day in the summer, but I can't stand anything higher than 71 at night.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:18 PM

Answered other. I have one window air conditioner, downstairs in the kitchen, and if it's hot outside there is no way it will get my upstairs bedroom cool.

My usual air conditioning, which used to work fine here about 360 days out of the year and still works fine on at least 340, is that in weather too hot for me I open windows at night and shut them in the morning. If the day's going to be in the 80's or 90's (I'm assuming from the OP that we're talking in Fahrenheit here), then if I can get the house down to low 60's or below by dawn it won't much be out of the mid-70's by the end of the day. If outdoor temperatures don't go down at least to the mid-60's this technique doesn't work; hence the one window airconditioner.

I think a comfortable bedroom sleeping temperature is anywhere from upper 50's to low 60's. I'd much rather a cold room with blankets and comfortors (and cats) than one too hot for covers.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

You did not specify the season, which is important. 73 in the summer and 68 in the winter.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:55 PM

78 in the summer and 66 in the winter.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 PM

I have no AC but my thermostat is programmed to set the heat to 61 at night (mainly for winter although occasionally summer nights might get that cold here on the Northern California coast). It's rare for the daytime temperature to get above 90 here and hot nights are essentially nonexistent.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 PM

I have a Nest thermostat that can detect whether I'm home or not based on my phone's location. In the summer I have the temperature set to 80 when I'm home, 85 when I'm not home.

I'm in inland Northern California, where can get very hot during the day, but with low humidity. That low humidity means the temperature can drop by 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night. I also have a whole house fan. So what I've been doing lately is to open the windows and turn on the whole house fan around 8:30 pm, which seems to be about the time the outside temperature drops below the inside temperature. By bed time this usually gets the inside temperature down to around 77F. At bed time I turn off the fan and close some windows but leave a few open a few inches with that little thingy that pops up to prevent burglars from opening them further. When I wake up the next morning the inside temperature will have only dropped another degree or two, but the outside temperature has now dropped into the 60s unless we're in a really hot spell. At this point I open up the windows again and turn on the whole house fan while I'm getting ready for work. The inside temperature will drop to about 70 by the time I'm ready to leave for work. Before I leave I turn off the fan and close all the windows. The temperature inside will gradually rise, but not enough for the air conditioner to kick in until I get home usually.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I voted "other" because we only have air con in one room, and it's the room furthest from our bedroom. When it's hot in summer, I sleep on top of the sheet (no blanket of course). When it's cold in winter, I get a hot water bottle -- low tech, but it works.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 PM

my thermostat is set at 72 degrees Farenheit no matter what time of year or day or night. There is no way I could sleep if it was 80 in my house.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm much more tolerant of cold than of heat and humidity. In winter I usually keep the thermostat at 58 during the day when I'm home, 50 when I'm away and at night. I live in Maine, so I only have to use the AC maybe 10 or 12 days a month from early June to mid-September. When I do use the AC, it's set to about 73 day and night. That's about as warm as I can have it and still get a good night's sleep. Believe me, I've tried to set it warmer to save money, but it's not worth the misery. If it were 82 at night I doubt I could get any quality sleep at all.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 PM

I get chilled and shake easily. I dislike the cold drafts from the vents. My thermostat is set at 77 most of the time during the summer.

Once in awhile I might turn it down to 75 (for an hour) if I've been outside and gotten overheated.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I live on the coast of Maine. I have a window AC unit, but it really hasn't gotten hot enough that I've needed it this year. The few days where it has gotten hot enough to put it in, I was on the road anyway, and it had cooled down by the time I got home, so I just haven't bothered putting it in, and have been enjoying the lower electric bills as a result.

Setting the thermostat to 82 on my furnace? No way Jos. Might as well take a match to a stack of $100 dollar bills.
It's at 68 most of the winter, and gets turned at the lowest possible set point as soon as the outside temperatures warrant it. It'd be at 65 or less if I were the only one in the house. Sweaters are cheap! Fuel oil costs almost $3,000 per year.

Last edited by CoastalMaineiac; 08-21-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 PM

Other - it's turned off. Airflow sucks in our home*, so it'd be useless. A ceiling fan in the bedroom makes it sleepable during the summer.
During the day, it's set to 28 C - about 82 F.

*It's not central A/C, which is uncommon in Australia - it's a split system venting into the living room.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

AC at 76 all times for summer.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 PM

I keep the A/C at 72 around the clock. I live in the DC area in an apartment on a high floor. It's hot and humid (93% humidity at the moment) and turning the A/C off is not an option. I'd feel sick all the time.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Not contrary to what the HVAC said. It's letting the house warm up and then cooling it back down that causes the AC to run constantly for a long time. I had a boss years ago who destroyed a commercial AC and cost himself a huge chunk of money because he insisted on turning it off at night and starting it up again in the morning. And not just the cost of replacing the unit - it was also that the building was heating up to the high 80s (it's not uncommon to have lows in the 80s during the summer) at night then working to cool back down to 75 during peak billing hours.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not following the OP -why would you want your furnace on to keep the temperature that high while you sleep?

And, your thread title says 72 , but your lead-in says 82?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I need to have it below 70 get a good night's sleep, preferably in the mid 60s or less. When I stay in hotels I'll crank the AC down really low at bedtime, especially if I'm in a room where I can't open the windows enough to let in cool outside air.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
I'm not following the OP -why would you want your furnace on to keep the temperature that high while you sleep?

And, your thread title says 72 , but your lead-in says 82?

It's not keep the furnace on to get the temperature that high, it's keeping the A/C off and letting it get that high. This was clarified in post #10.

The thread title is a quote from BHO. The lead-in is a recommendation from the EPA.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Oh. Air conditioning. Coolth, not warmth.

Missed post #10 somehow.

Sorry.

[Emily Litella voice] "Never mind." [/Emily Litella voice]

Last edited by Northern Piper; 08-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:00 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

I have sensory issues and heat intolerance. My sleeping temperature is around 60, whether it's winter or summer. Sometimes I'll let it get colder than that in winter.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 PM

The House In The Mountains does have a thermostat, but no a/c. Until two years ago I'd never seen the thermometer reach 30C/86F there.

The House In Barcelona has one a/c unit, but so far I've never kept it on while sleeping; at most I've had it on for a while before going to bed (set it to 25C/77F, which is the coolest I ever set it, and once it stops the first cycle switch it off; normally if I've got it on it'll be set to "dehumidify" or to 32C/90F). Note that it is rare for temps not to cool down to levels I consider no-a/c-needed at night: the "cold attack" is because during the day my bedroom will be closed, I cool it down only before going to bed.

Last edited by Nava; 08-21-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 PM

Right now (summer) it's set to 84 when we are home. We usually turn off the AC when we leave home.

In winter I think we set it to around 65.

Last edited by scr4; 08-21-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 AM

We have the temp set at 18c at night, 22c during the day, winter or summer. We both need it as cold a meat locker to sleep comfortably.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:34 AM

No thermostat on a Swamp Cooler. It's hot or nice or cold. Adjust the fan as required. I like 'cold', personally.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 AM

We got our A/C installed just this year. It gets used only during periods of extreme heat (I think for four nights so far this season), and then set to 21 C (~70 F).

For the record, in winter we've agreed to heat the bedroom to 17 C (~63 F).
Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 AM

I set my AC at 18 C (64 F) day and night, but only because it doesn't go any lower.

It's HOT out there.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

75 degrees for me. Any hotter and I can't sleep.

In the winter it drifts down considerably cooler, which is fine by me.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:48 AM

Nothing. I don't have aircon (don't need it), and I don't have the heating on at night in winter either (not cold enough).

I live in a temperate climate (southern England). I do have a Dyson floor fan which gives a lovely gently breeze in warmer weather!
Old 08-22-2019, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

I have a downstairs apartment so it is insulated enough that the coolth stays all night as long as I go to bed at a reasonable temperature. I leave my AC off except for a few hours when I get home, even in the middle of the Florida summer. Then I put my floor fan on me all night for the cooling and white noise - during the wintertime I point it orthogonal to me.

I always start the night below 82 but sometimes it creeps up there or higher during the night but I have the fan.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:38 AM

71 is a compromise temperature which makes most of us not terribly unhappy about sleeping. Though I find that I could use air movement such as a fan in a pinch. Still air feels like I suffocating in a furnace.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:04 AM

While we sleep? 74. We have a ground floor master bedroom, so this is probably a fair estimate of the actual temp in the bedroom.

During the day while we're home? 78.