Old 09-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Has this "artist" spent much time in a real forest?

LOL They planted the trees much to closely together. Disease will easily pass from tree to tree. Creating a fire hazard.

I think the artist is missing the point that unused land is reclaimed quickly by nature. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is an example. It's filled with trees and wildlife.
https://www.earth.com/news/chernobyl...ldlife-refuge/

I've seen local farmland and pastures revert to pine trees in 10 to 15 years. The original family gets older and stops working the land. Nature soon fills it with brush and trees. Pine seems to pop up the quickest in my state. Pine will completely take over unused land in 25 years. It can be harvested for good money.

This artist's exhibit looks like an abandoned stadium that has been overrun with trees. The mowed grass is the only tip off it's maintained by people.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/f...html?gallery=0

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-07-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Would you want to visit this artist's idea of a forrest?

Someone really needs to take this guy backpacking. Learn just how beautiful nature can be.

I've spent much of my life hiking and backpacking. I embraced "leave no trace" behind decades ago. I love the forrest and meadowlands. They need to be treasured & protected.

https://lnt.org/why/7-principles/

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-07-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:08 AM

I understand the artist means well. He just badly missed the mark. His forrest hurts my eyes.

This is a forrest I'd enjoy visiting. Absolutely breathtaking and uplifting. It's humbling to see the true beauty nature can produce.
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_g...wns_Ferry_Hike

Ok, I know my Sierra Club affiliation is showing. I won't hug any trees.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-07-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I understand the artist means well. He just badly missed the mark.
Lotta that goin' around, eh, aceplace57?
Old 09-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Sorry for the triple post. I've been a environmentalist most of my adult life. Getting outside on a hike is something I have to do. It feeds me and makes it possible to live & work in a city.

The forrest exhibit could be a very cool project. Space out the trees correctly. Add in natural scrub trees. A short trail would allow visitors to interact with the exhibit. There's nothing quite like looking up 60 feet to the tops of trees.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:

This is a forrest I'd enjoy visiting. Absolutely breathtaking and uplifting. It's humbling to see the true beauty nature can produce.
Forrest is well-known for his love of chocolate.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Would you want to visit this artist's idea of a forrest?
I have visited areas in nature where the trees were that thick. They tend to be areas that have seen a fire or been clear cut. The trees come back in all at once and thick as they regrow. Only over time does the competition for resources like water and sunlight sort out the weak from the more widely dispersed winners. Those trees are on the bigger side for areas I've seen that are that thick with trees. I'd expect to see more that are looking a bit sickly as they trend towards sorting out the lack of spacing.

Natures answer to trees "planted" too close includes things like disease and fire not starting off with trees sprouting with better separation. I'm not seeing the issue you have with that. Since the artist isn't planning to leave the trees in that football stadium long term that's not really an issue for the display. He's showing part of the lifecycle in some forests and then moving the trees outdoors for permanent planting.

I don't know that I would choose that location for hiking or camping. I have been in areas for recreation where that was part of the overall terrain, though. I just mostly worked around it. The Army didn't seem concerned when they made me go into them though. Well, the post environmental office could get extremely concerned about what happens when a tank ends up in an area like that.

Last edited by DinoR; 09-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:51 AM

I often misspell forest. Spell check doesn't catch it because forrest is also a word.

Honestly it looks more correct with two R's. But I didn't make the rules.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:53 AM

It looks like it's an art installation, scheduled for removal next month. It's not a permanent planting, so it doesn't seem like the spacing is relevant. If you'd like to see Trees Planted Too Close Together by developers, come to my neighborhood.

Last edited by susan; 09-07-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I often misspell forest. Spell check doesn't catch it because forrest is also a word.

Honestly it looks more correct with two R's. But I didn't make the rules.
Heh, me too. Green Forest is my favorite churrascaria. I always spell churrascaria correctly but misspell forest.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
It looks like it's an art installation, scheduled for removal next month. It's not a permanent planting, so it doesn't seem like the spacing is relevant. If you'd like to see Trees Planted Too Close Together by developers, come to my neighborhood.
Hopefully the permanent installation will use the services of an experienced arborist.

This could be a great exhibit that people will enjoy for many years.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I have visited areas in nature where the trees were that thick.
I have too. But in any case, this is an art installation, not a re-forestation project. It's not supposed to be natural. That's the point.

Aceplace, have you spent much time in art museums?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM

I go by the Fine Arts gallery at work and look at the student exhibits. It's mostly oils and watercolors.

Art museums aren't a big thing locally. We have a couple local galleries.

I know this is a temporary exhibit. The artist could have still made an exhibit visitors could walk through and enjoy.

But, whatever floats the guy's boat. His heart is in the right place.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-07-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
His heart is in the right place.

You know this how?

Quote:
The heart is located in the chest between the lungs behind the sternum and above the diaphragm. It is surrounded by the pericardium. Its size is about that of a fist, and its weight is about 250-300 g. Its center is located about 1.5 cm to the left of the midsagittal plane.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:34 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urb...place&amp=true

The guy loves trees. I assume he's an environmentalist.

I wouldn't mind meeting him. Maybe invite him on a hike in the Ozarks.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-07-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I know this is a temporary exhibit. The artist could have still made an exhibit visitors could walk through and enjoy.
I would certainly enjoy walking through that exhibit--but again, that's not really the point.

This installation is based on a surreal painting by Max Peintner--it's meant to look surreal. The stadium is not abandoned at all. When the installation is removed next month, it will go to continue as the home of the Klagenfurt soccer team.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Ok.
Surrealism is something I hadn't considered.

Thank you for the Max Peintner reference.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
LOL They planted the trees much to closely together. Disease will easily pass from tree to tree. Creating a fire hazard.
They are a mix of alder, aspen, field maple, and common oak trees that came from nurseries. I think that means that they're likely to be disease-free and because they're different species, disease is unlikely to spread among them.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 09-07-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:58 PM

It's Art for arts sake, first off.
2nd it's meant to make you consider the need and advantages of forested lands. Instead of looking at trees in an artificial setting. Like a nature Zoo.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:27 PM

It's an art project. That's basically the definition for something that's not supposed to be natural. Do you also complain that Franz Marc's horses are blue?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Living trees were used. I was thinking of realism or perhaps hyperrealism art.

Anyway, I misunderstood what the artist was trying to accomplish.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:26 PM

I think you have it now, Ace.
The Art made you *think*, that's the highest praise you can bestow on an Artist.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-07-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Living trees were used. I was thinking of realism or perhaps hyperrealism art.

Anyway, I misunderstood what the artist was trying to accomplish.
If only there was a way to easily determine his intent prior to making the post.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:04 PM

I grew up next to national forest and hike semi-regularly.

The trees look reasonably spaced to me, but I've seen ones further apart and closer together; it depends on the type of tree. Whether the artist got it right for these particular types of tree, I could not say, but the overhead shot of how close the furthest leaves are from one tree to the furthest leaves of the next tree seems good to me in terms of access to light.

My guess would be that you simply live in an area with tree types that need more room.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 PM

While it's true that the 'forest' there is unnatural looking, you're wrong about this:

Quote:
The trees in the forest behind my house (that's considerably older than me, and I'm more than a half-century old) are much closer together than the (obviously) artificial 'forest' in those pictures, and my (actually my neighbor owns it, but I walk in it) forest is quite healthy, thank-you-very-much. The trees in the (totally natural, and unmodified by humans for over 200 years) state forest 30 miles away from me that I go to occasionally are about the same distance apart as the ones in those pictures (much closer in some spots). That forest, too, is quite healthy. The brush, vines, and stuff at ground level of both are much thicker than that. You need a machete to get through it in some places. No fire hazard. There hasn't been a forest fire in this region in anyone's living memory.

You appear to be assuming that what you are personally familiar with is typical of everywhere, which is always a very bad assumption to make.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Am I the only one who clicked the first link in the OP, and then wondered what the heck art aceplace57 was talking about?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:51 PM

^ You are not the only one, but I had thumbs to twiddle.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think the artist is missing the point that unused land is reclaimed quickly by nature. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is an example. It's filled with trees and wildlife.
This is also true of the Korean DMZ.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:49 AM

This thread is the first time I've ever encountered someone literally not seeing the forest for the trees.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I have visited areas in nature where the trees were that thick.
The bottom of Pyrenaic north sides is like that. The species in the exhibit are more mixed than in the northern slopes of the Pyrenees, but aside from that it looks like pictures I could take anywhere in that zone where I can see a northern side clearly.

A lot of the Pyrenees have a shape similar to Arthur's Seat or to the hill atop which Edinburgh Castle sits; please check the second view. The long, soft, walkable slope is the south, whereas the north side is a sharp cliff. The area below the cliff will be covered in grass and trees, and have similar species as a south-side climb at similar heights but occupying bands which are much narrower in terms of actual physical space. Take a pic of a southern slope, you'll be lucky to see more than one species of trees; take one of a northern slope's bottom and you easily have four different-colored bands.

Last edited by Nava; 09-08-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:13 AM

What makes it look unnatural to me isn't how close the trees are- there's plenty of woodland near here with trees closer together than that- it's that they're too evenly spaced. There's also no dead bits, shorter spindly trees that are being outcompeted or bare lower branches on the central trees, which natural dense woodland should have.

Eye catching project though, but I'm sure glad it's not my job to restore the grass on the pitch to playable condition afterwards.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
What makes it look unnatural to me isn't how close the trees are- there's plenty of woodland near here with trees closer together than that- it's that they're too evenly spaced. There's also no dead bits, shorter spindly trees that are being outcompeted or bare lower branches on the central trees, which natural dense woodland should have.
I've encountered real world examples of this. Back during the depression, the CCC paid people to plant saplings. And they generally planted them in a grid. I once walked through one of these forests, decades later when the trees were grown. It generally looked like a normal natural forest. But if you stood in certain spots, you'd realize the trees lined up.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 09-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I've encountered real world examples of this. Back during the depression, the CCC paid people to plant saplings. And they generally planted them in a grid. I once walked through one of these forests, decades later when the trees were grown. It generally looked like a normal natural forest. But if you stood in certain spots, you'd realize the trees lined up.
Israel is full of forests like that. When you want to turn the desert green, you set about doing it systematically.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
This thread is the first time I've ever encountered someone literally not seeing the forest for the trees.
"Hello, park rangers? I'd like to report a serious burn."

Last edited by Ravenman; 09-09-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Israel is full of forests like that. When you want to turn the desert green, you set about doing it systematically.
Lots of areas with absurdly orderly trees in Spain too (mostly repopulation after fires) and Sweden (where I understand it's wood farms). I remember my father making us check out how the trees were all lined up and explaining that this was a repopulated area, telling us about forest fires, etc. I've seen other parents do the same with their own children.

Last edited by Nava; 09-09-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I understand the artist means well. He just badly missed the mark. His forrest hurts my eyes.

Ok, I know my Sierra Club affiliation is showing. I won't hug any trees.
HIS forest hurts your eyes?
Well, YOUR "forrest" hurts MINE!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Yes, and that Picasso guy should learn the people's faces aren't made up of cubes.

It's an art installation, people. It is not a nature preserve. It is not intended to be representational, but rather is designed to get people to look at the forest (and a football stadium) in a new way. It is designed to make people think and talk about the issues of nature vs. human influence.
In that way, this thread shows it's hugely successful.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 09-12-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Am I the only one who clicked the first link in the OP, and then wondered what the heck art aceplace57 was talking about?
You're not the only one. That's what I did.