Old 11-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Can someone please explain this whole chicken sandwich thing?

As a vegetarian, I've been ignoring whatever is going on with this chicken sandwich war or whatever it is. But now I see someone in Maryland has been stabbed to death over it. Could someone kindly explain the whole mess? Why in hell is anyone getting worked up about chicken sandwiches?
Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM

A lot of people are morons. That about sums it up.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:19 PM

Cable TV was out?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 PM

I haven't tried the sandwich but I can't help but think there's no way I'll be disappointed. I'm going to bite into it and think, "This wasn't worth a human life." Holy cow! What if it tastes that good though?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I haven't tried the sandwich but I can't help but think there's no way I'll be disappointed. I'm going to bite into it and think, "This wasn't worth a human life." Holy cow! What if it tastes that good though?
You can't handle the truth.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 PM

They don't seen anything special to me. They did invent the chicken sandwich, though. (ducking) Anyway, they took them off the menu for some reason and just brought the sandwich back.

Dennis

Last edited by mixdenny; 11-05-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Little help? any links to what you guys are talking about?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The Chicken Sandwich War.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Someone was stabbed at a Popeye's Chicken place in Maryland, apparently for cutting in line for the new chicken sandwiches. Here.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Well, while a chicken sandwich certainly isn't worth anyone's life, queue-jumping is another matter entirely.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Someone was stabbed at a Popeye's Chicken place in Maryland, apparently for cutting in line for the new chicken sandwiches. Here.
Well, maybe he was stabbed for cutting in line in general. That's just rude.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:59 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The bullet points version:

-Popeye's, a fried chicken chain, introduced a new chicken sandwich in August and started a social-media war with Chik-fil-A, a chain already known for their chicken sandwiches. Soon other fast-food franchises joined the fray.

-The rivalry has political overtones because of anti-same-sex marriage statements by Chik-fil-A's owner and donations to such organizations.

-Popeye's sandwich was so popular it sold out in a few weeks and was discontinued.

-It was recently re-introduced, leading to long lines. On one such line a dispute led to a man being fatally stabbed.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-05-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
As a vegetarian, I've been ignoring whatever is going on with this chicken sandwich war or whatever it is. But now I see someone in Maryland has been stabbed to death over it. Could someone kindly explain the whole mess? Why in hell is anyone getting worked up about chicken sandwiches?
manufactured hype via marketing.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

What baffles me is, I could have sworn I've eaten chicken sandwiches at Popeye's before.

Thought they were called Po Boy's.

This whole thing feels like a glitch in the matrix to me.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
What baffles me is, I could have sworn I've eaten chicken sandwiches at Popeye's before.

This whole thing feels like a glitch in the matrix to me.
They appear to have discontinued the po'boys in favor of the new sandwich, which is a shame, as I always loved the shrimp po'boy myself. (Not that I could eat it anymore since I'm apparently allergic to shrimp now.)

Last edited by Smapti; 11-06-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Fried chicken is delicious beyond words, but not eaten that much due to health concerns of frying. People don't typically think of a chicken sandwich as fried chicken, so it avoids the unhealthy stigma of it but has the same taste. The marketing push now is to stir up interest in it. Also the sandwich is a easier to eat form then fried chicken pieces, which also allows toppings.

That's about it.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 AM

I still haven't tried one, but Popeye's chicken is quite good, and I'm sure this sandwich is, too. If only they'll be able to leave the mayo off of mine. Talk about stabby!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

There are a lot of people who despise Chik-Fil-A’s politics but love their chicken sandwiches. Popeye’s somehow picked just the right time and chose the right strategy to introduce an alternative to Chik-Fil-A’s sandwich.

The whole thing blew up unexpectedly and Popeye’s didn’t have enough supply to keep up with demand, and ran out of its ingredients within a few weeks. They’ve now reintroduced the sandwich after a couple of months.

It’s a pretty good fried chicken sandwich, but it’s popularity is the result of cultural coincidences and a good marketing program.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 AM

I know of a case where someone was stabbed in an argument over a Little Debbie snack cake*, so it's not just chicken sandwiches that provoke violence.

*it seems that most Little Debbie snack cakes are not vegan, but the Little Debbie cake donut is regarded as an exception.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Itís a pretty good fried chicken sandwich, but itís popularity is the result of cultural coincidences and a good marketing program.
Yep. I'm still a little baffled as to why chicken sandwiches/chicken tenders (really any boneless fried chicken product) are so popular, but this whole Popeye's thing is really just a combination of good marketing and I'm guessing social media buzz. I mean, they did have TV ads, but they weren't anything too special. I'm guessing someone really liked it, and was in a position to relay that to a lot of people on social media who all agreed and did the same. And so on, and so forth in a chain reaction way.

One final observation- nobody's really getting stabbed over a chicken sandwich; in my experience, it's more about bad behavior and disrespect. Nobody's thinking "I'm going to shank that fool in the liver because he may get a chicken sandwich and I may not." What they're waiting in line for is immaterial- it's the fact that the line-cutter was disrespectful and ill-behaved that likely started the fight, and it escalated to a stabbing because that's how that particular person chose to handle it.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Never heard of the sandwich. And now it's gone.

I feel cheated, somehow, and yet five minutes ago I'd never even heard of the sandwich.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
nobody's really getting stabbed over a chicken sandwich; in my experience, it's more about bad behavior and disrespect.
Yes--or, IMHO, poor impulse control by the stabber.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Wendy's homestyle chicken sandwiches are very good and there's no waiting in line.

Their spicy chicken sandwich is similar to Popeyes.

I prefer homestyle.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:24 AM

The stabber and stabbee had both gone to the parking lot so there is a remote possibility it was self defense. Details are still mightily thin the last I knew of.

Agree though that chicken sandwiches and line jumping are both insufficient cause for physical violence.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

A comparison of Popeye's chicken sandwich and its now-discontinued chicken po'boy.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Never heard of the sandwich. And now it's gone.

I feel cheated, somehow, and yet five minutes ago I'd never even heard of the sandwich.
It's in the news again now (besides the stabbing) because they just brought it back again.

I've never actually had anything from a Popeye's. I've had the CFA spicy chicken sandwich many times, and love it. Many people seem to think the Popeye's chicken sandwich is way better, so I'll probably check it out soon.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Wendy's homestyle chicken sandwiches are very good and there's no waiting in line.

Their spicy chicken sandwich is similar to Popeyes.

I prefer homestyle.
This is what's baffling. Wendy's has sold chicken sandwiches for how long? 32 years at a minimum, and I believe much longer.

Why has the general social-media public pretended like the Popeye's sandwich was the first competitor to Chik-Fil-A in the history of fast food? I understand marketing and alll, but sheesh.

Not to mention Canes, Zaxby's, Lil Abner's, and thousands of local joints.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
..I've never actually had anything from a Popeye's. I've had the CFA spicy chicken sandwich many times, and love it. Many people seem to think the Popeye's chicken sandwich is way better, so I'll probably check it out soon.
Just a heads up- from what I've seen, they slather it with mayo.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
This is what's baffling. Wendy's has sold chicken sandwiches for how long? 32 years at a minimum, and I believe much longer.

Why has the general social-media public pretended like the Popeye's sandwich was the first competitor to Chik-Fil-A in the history of fast food? I understand marketing and alll, but sheesh.

Not to mention Canes, Zaxby's, Lil Abner's, and thousands of local joints.
My understanding is that it's because Popeye's is already sorta competing with Chick-Fil-A by being a chicken place. And thus their chicken is supposed to be really good. Other restaurants that don't specialize in making chicken are reportedly* not as good.

Of course, that leaves out the original chicken franchise, KFC. But consensus in the US at least seems to be that it's bargain basement chicken, and doesn't really compete with the other two. I hear it's better in the UK, though, with a lot more options.

*I don't know myself. I haven't been to Popeyes in over a decade now, and I've never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A. I have eaten at KFC, but never thought their chicken sandwiches were anything special, while their stand alone chicken was pretty good, and the biscuits were alone worth the price of the buffet.

Last edited by BigT; 11-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:07 PM

I've always like Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich far better than Chick-Fil-A's for what its worth. However, I find the Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich even better than Wendy's. So it was worth standing in line for like 20 minutes on Monday, but probably not good enough to get stabbed.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:15 PM

A chicken sandwich is nothing to be killed over. Now, a good cheesesteak, that's to die for.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Based on the thread title, I thought people were putting whole chickens in sandwiches.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:24 PM

Two people with bad manners encountered each other and found an excuse to behave badly. Welcome to the human race. Frankly, I count the line cutter as the worse of the two. Ya gotta not be fucking with people unless you know for sure they are not prepared to use your guts for garters.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 PM

I've heard of food so good that it makes you wanna slap someone's mama, but food so good you wanna kill someone? That's a new one!

I have heard good things about this sandwich. I may have to try it to see if it's worth the hype.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 PM

I grew up next door to Grandpa and Grandma's small poultry farm. After we moved a few miles away, we still returned constantly for Sunday dinners, usually heavenly mashed potatoes with fried chicken but sometimes rabbit. IMHO this whole chicken-sandwich-war thing can be resolved by frying rabbits for sandwiches.
"Throw another bunny on the barby, baby
Roast another rabbit on the rack... ♫"
A traditional San Francisco bird alternative was seagull, the REAL "chicken of the sea," and usually pretty cheap. Why don't we hear of fried seagull sandwich wars?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
My understanding is that it's because Popeye's is already sorta competing with Chick-Fil-A by being a chicken place. And thus their chicken is supposed to be really good. Other restaurants that don't specialize in making chicken are reportedly* not as good.

Of course, that leaves out the original chicken franchise, KFC. But consensus in the US at least seems to be that it's bargain basement chicken, and doesn't really compete with the other two. I hear it's better in the UK, though, with a lot more options.

*I don't know myself. I haven't been to Popeyes in over a decade now, and I've never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A. I have eaten at KFC, but never thought their chicken sandwiches were anything special, while their stand alone chicken was pretty good, and the biscuits were alone worth the price of the buffet.
Popeye's fried chicken is far better than KFC (there was a thread on this a while back) and Popeye's has dirty rice (which they call Cajun rice to not confuse the goyim) which while not great compared to the real thing is still better than fries.

Never had their po' boys bu I've had real po' boys in New Orleans and Lafayette, so I don't want to. I'll try the chicken sandwich when this settles down.
There was no Chick-Fil-A near me until recently, and I had already decided to boycott it when the place opened. I had stuff there 15 years ago and it was reasonably good. But not worth driving 15 miles for.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
There are a lot of people who despise Chik-Fil-Aís politics but love their chicken sandwiches. Popeyeís somehow picked just the right time and chose the right strategy to introduce an alternative to Chik-Fil-Aís sandwich.

The whole thing blew up unexpectedly and Popeyeís didnít have enough supply to keep up with demand, and ran out of its ingredients within a few weeks. Theyíve now reintroduced the sandwich after a couple of months.

Itís a pretty good fried chicken sandwich, but itís popularity is the result of cultural coincidences and a good marketing program.
I'm going to disagree with some of this.

Sure, some folks despise Chik-Fil-A's politics, but a lot? Not even close. A lot of Dopers do, but the general public are fine with the company's stance.

Also, I cannot believe it "blew up unexpectedly". It was actually a masterful marketing ploy. Are we to think the world suddenly had a chicken shortage? That lasted several months?

Disney, McDonalds, and other corporate powerhouses have demonstrated how creating an artificial shortage or manufacturing unavailability makes us humans crave a product well beyond reason.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Two people with bad manners encountered each other and found an excuse to behave badly. Welcome to the human race. Frankly, I count the line cutter as the worse of the two. Ya gotta not be fucking with people unless you know for sure they are not prepared to use your guts for garters.
I reject this line of argument and would call it victim-blaming. Assuming, of course, that he didn’t initiate a life-threatening physical assault once outside.

On the subject of Popeyes running out of a featured item... the only time I’ve ever been to a Popeyes was when they were advertising their popcorn-style chicken. It looked and sounded delicious.

They were out, of course. So I will never go to a Popeyes again. Companies that promote products heavily, but then cannot keep them in stock or meet demand within a reasonable timeframe do not deserve repeat business. In fact, I’d argue they don’t even deserve a chance.

Screw Popeyes.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 11-07-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
I reject this line of argument and would call it victim-blaming. Assuming, of course, that he didnít initiate a life-threatening physical assault once outside.
You know, I try to be a nice person, but I will admit to some degree of victim blaming from time to time. Under no circumstances is an assailant less responsible for the assault, but there are victims who have been minding their own business, and then there are victims who test fate and get bit. Cutting in line? Shit, I'll stab you myself without the courtesy of engaging you in witty banter first.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know, I try to be a nice person, but I will admit to some degree of victim blaming from time to time. Under no circumstances is an assailant less responsible for the assault, but there are victims who have been minding their own business, and then there are victims who test fate and get bit. Cutting in line? Shit, I'll stab you myself without the courtesy of engaging you in witty banter first.
This seems to suggest a misaligned sense of proportion. Cutting in line is a violation of the social norms, but certainly not one that should justify rage and violence.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
This seems to suggest a misaligned sense of proportion. Cutting in line is a violation of the social norms, but certainly not one that should justify rage and violence.
Trouble with psychopaths is we they look like everyone else until they're wearing your skin.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
First, I’m going to assume there’s some misplaced sarcasm in there (misplaced because I think the topic is serious enough to warrant a straight up rejection of lethal violence over violation of "social norms.")

With that said... how would you announce your intention to kill the line cutter? Is there... any particular turn of phrase you might use? Inigo Montoya? Might you invite the so-called provocateur to... "prepare" for something?

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 11-07-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

It isn't worth stabbing someone over, but Popeye's is one fine chicken sandwich. Much better than Wendy's could ever produce, and it edged out CFA in a side by side test we did last weekend. We have all of the chains local to us, so it was pretty easy to do.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
With that said... how would you announce your intention to kill the line cutter? Is there... any particular turn of phrase you might use? Inigo Montoya? Might you invite the so-called provocateur to... "prepare" for something?
Too much thought required to look to the namesake. But maybe a classic line like, "Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!" Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have to act alone if there are enough hungry, angry, ____gry nerds in line with me.

But we seem to differ on what's too serious for humor/sarcasm. And that's cool.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Based on the thread title, I thought people were putting whole chickens in sandwiches.
...& a Coke.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
But we seem to differ on what's too serious for humor/sarcasm. And that's cool.
For some, timing of a joke is always too soon or too late. I wonder sometimes if they'd be better off at musical.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Sure, some folks despise Chik-Fil-A's politics, but a lot? Not even close. A lot of Dopers do, but the general public are fine with the company's stance.
Agreed. Even though support has grown over recent years, it looks like nearly 1 out of 3 people still disagree with gay marriage: https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/
Even with those who would say they support gay rights, they donít necessarily care enough about the issue to boycott over it. Most people choose to eat at a restaurant based on if they like the food, not based on the ownerís political views, unless they are especially passionate about the issue.

Quote:
Disney, McDonalds, and other corporate powerhouses have demonstrated how creating an artificial shortage or manufacturing unavailability makes us humans crave a product well beyond reason.
The McRib actually is fucking delicious though.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Sure, some folks despise Chik-Fil-A's politics, but a lot? Not even close.
Just how precise an amount do you think is described by "a lot?"
Old 11-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I get my chicken sandwiches at Bojangles. 100% stab free.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:33 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I know of a case where someone was stabbed in an argument over a Little Debbie snack cake*, so it's not just chicken sandwiches that provoke violence.

*it seems that most Little Debbie snack cakes are not vegan, but the Little Debbie cake donut is regarded as an exception.
Little Debbie is too young to be wearing make up, the little slut!