Old 11-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Don Cherry (Hockey)

Don Cherry, a 85-year old white male hockey commentator, made incendiary comments Saturday night during "Hockey Night in Canada", his show that he commentates.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rant/40580687/

I like Cherry's no-nonsense style, but there are certain things you keep to yourself. And I am not the biggest PC advocate out there.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/10/hockey...rant-comments/
Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

So far his Teflon has been working. For example years of calling Swedish players wimps and cowards, and celebrating bullies and thugs.

Time for CBC and Sportsnet to face the obvious and put the bigot out to retirement.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
I like Cherry's no-nonsense style, but there are certain things you keep to yourself. And I am not the biggest PC advocate out there
Grapes gonna Grapes, but sorry you either like his no nonsense style or you don't. He is a classic canadian icon, and says a shit load of things that people are thinking and he brings in money, or the networks would have turfed him along time ago. Even if he gets fired for this, its not the worst way to go.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
So far his Teflon has been working. For example years of calling Swedish players wimps and cowards, and celebrating bullies and thugs.

Time for CBC and Sportsnet to face the obvious and put the bigot out to retirement.
Sports is a rough game.

There will always be bullies in sports.

Iverson, Lebron, etc are all bullies in the NBA.

Cherry should stay.

He is a icon, he did not say the N word that would warrant his removal.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Grapes gonna Grapes, but sorry you either like his no nonsense style or you don't. He is a classic canadian icon, and says a shit load of things that people are thinking and he brings in money, or the networks would have turfed him along time ago. Even if he gets fired for this, its not the worst way to go.
I like his toughness, not his stupidity.

It is not a zero sum game.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Take a look at this slide show of his most ridiculous suits and tell me why anyone would take anything this person says seriously. He is a total joke. Any Canadians who like to poke fun at Trump, just take a look at your icon Don Cherry. And really, if he does say "a shit load of things that people are thinking" then those people are pretty awful too. Wonder what their suits look like.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:42 PM

He should be removed for being shitty at his job. The game of Hockey went way past everything he knew about it 25 years ago.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Take a look at this slide show of his most ridiculous suits and tell me why anyone would take anything this person says seriously. He is a total joke. Any Canadians who like to poke fun at Trump, just take a look at your icon Don Cherry. And really, if he does say "a shit load of things that people are thinking" then those people are pretty awful too. Wonder what their suits look like.
You can say the same thing about Walt Clyde Frazier, a black basketball legend as well.

Sports is Entertainment.

The Sports/Entertainment industry is huge.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
He should be removed for being shitty at his job. The game of Hockey went way past everything he knew about it 25 years ago.
John Tortorella still employs Cherry's blue collar tactics.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
John Tortorella still employs Cherry's blue collar tactics.
The question remains why black commentators don't act up like Cherry and others do.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Iverson haven't played in the NBA for a very long time. But white people are still obsessed with him it seems.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
I'm pretty sure Iverson haven't played in the NBA for a very long time. But white people are still obsessed with him it seems.
I'm not white. But a lot are obsessed. Just like a lot of black and Latinos are obsessed with Tom Brady being too white and too victorious against black quarterbacks. Race is in sports. But what I am saying is that they are bullies in the NBA as well.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:36 PM

LOL
You're pretty transparent bro.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Will Canada finally break its Cherry?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Will Canada finally break its Cherry?
Nah. He's too iconic. It's just entertainment. He does pull in the ratings.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 PM

The man has history and knowledge working in his favour. I enjoy his loud suits. I find his opinions somewhat dull and dated. I’m not sure how many “Rock’em Sock’em” compilations of hockey fights there are, but this hasn’t been the best part of the games since Sudbury Saturday Night topped the charts. His stupid comments have got a lot of commentary. I’ve never heard anyone or any group complain about wearing poppies or failing to appreciate the sacrifices made by veterans. Although they aren’t worth the attention, I think his comments are going to hurt him more than they should. I’m not sure why he would say that at all. Maybe he’s going senile.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Don Cherry has always toed the line with his comments. In the last several seasons he has he has, IMO, been leaning towards doddering old man. It kind of sucks but it is time to send Don out to pasture. He is not going to soften in any way.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
How often do opportunities to "say the n word" come up in hockey?
Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Was watching the Remembrance Day ceremony from Ottawa and the Major-General, Head Chaplin of the Armed Forces.

One of his prayers was: “We remember those soldiers who were born outside of Canada and joined in the struggle.”

I wonder if that was a last-minute addition, to respond to Don?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, an association of media organizations, says that the volume of complaints about Cherry have crashed their system.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/do...site-1.4679550
Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
“Remember guys, you can say anything you want on the air, disparage the patriotism of non-white Canadians, call them ‘You people’, and suggest that immigrants aren’t really Canadians. Just don’t use the n-word and you’re good.”

Yeah, I don’t think so.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

The National Hockey League has issued a statement that Cherry’s remarks were “offensive and contrary to the values we believe in.”

Sportsnet, which broadcasts Hockey Night in Canada, has issued an apology and called his comments “offensive “.

Ron Maclean has apologised, saying he should have responded immediately to Cherry’s comments.

Cherry? <crickets, crickets>

He’s done.

“Sportsnet apologises for Cherry’s anti-immigrant comments”: https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports...ents-1.4678516

Last edited by Northern Piper; 11-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Chracterizing him as "no nonsense" is just not an honest assessment of the facts. Cherry is, in fact, quite full of nonsense, and what he's in hot water for is entirely nonsense. His implications that immigrants do not wear poppies, and that native-born Canadians usually do, are both total nonsense.

Perhaps my personal standards of honesty are unusually high, but I think that for a person to be classified as "No nonsense," they should not speak nonsense, but in fact Cherry does, quite regularly. Being a loudmouthed asshole is not "no nonsense." What he said was a lie. There is no other way to say it. It was bullshit.

So that's my take on that. As to the issue of wearing poppies, that's stupid bullshit too. MOST PEOPLE DON'T. If you don't believe me, go to a public place and do an honest count. And who cares? I usually do, but if the reason someone ends up wearing one is shame and/or confirmity then what the hell does it really mean?

Bu fine, I'll wear mine, but I am openly contemptuous of bullshit-spewing chickenhawks like Don Cherry who drape themselves in the flag and the glory of braver men and women than he, babbling about the sacrifices of veterans in an effort to prove how much better and more patriotic he is than "pinkos." Remind me again what branch of the service Don Cherry was in? Oh that's right, he served with the Barrie Flyers during Korea. How noble.

Not everyone has to serve, and people who do serve are not better than those who don't (I served.) But there's nothing grosser than someone like Cherry who attaches himself like a lamprey to the honour or serving so they get reflected glory. If you want to honor veterans do it quietly, for when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.

Grosser still is using this holier-than-thou horseshit to divide Canadians into good ones and bad ones. That's the kind of hateful and divisive horseshit our veterans fought against.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

It’s posts like that that make me think the SDMB needs a “like” button.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
N(one).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 03:12 PM

And he was fired.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:21 PM

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ou-people-rant
Old 11-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

And in the “Just doesn’t get it” category, Cherry is apparently hurt that they would do this to him on Remembrance Day!
Old 11-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The only way this could have ended up....
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM

I'm surprised. He's said worse over the decades.

Leaffan - The poppy-wearing immigrant.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Subbans, Givani Smith, Wayne Simmonds, Devante Smith-Pelly among others have had it aimed at them at least once on the ice.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:21 PM

I think firing is too much. He’s said worse. But I’m not surprised. The guy is out of touch. When he travels from place to place for the games, he refuses to leave his hotel room. I’ve never served, but I’ve worked for the military as a civilian, and I’ve cared for thousands of soldiers. They are a very diverse group. And they have been for a long time.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I'm surprised. He's said worse over the decades.

Leaffan - The poppy-wearing immigrant.
He's said worse over the years, yes (remember his remarks about "French guys" which instituted a five-second delay for a while?). But his remarks have added up, and this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:25 PM

His comments were idiotic but I hate to see the old coot go. He and Ron Maclean were a real fixture on Hockey Night in Canada. The Coach's Corner segment with Cherry and Maclean dates back to 1986, and the show itself is a Canadian tradition going back to 1952 and Guinness World Record holder as the longest-running TV sports program anywhere.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 PM

It is about time.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Any guesses on who will replace him?

Kelly Hrudey?
Cassie Campbell?
Brian Burke?
Hayley Wickenheiser?

Burkie must be foaming at the mouth.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM

He's an overpaid coot whose shtick is constant indignation, anger, and sharp assholery.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
He's an overpaid coot whose shtick is constant indignation, anger, and sharp assholery.
Exactly. If that is "tradition" deliver me from tradition.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
It needs to be someone with knowledge of the Toronto market, who is popular with Leaf fans, and has a deep understanding of hockey.

I nominate Mats Sundin.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Exactly. If that is "tradition" deliver me from tradition.
Sometimes tradition is valuable enough to override concerns about offense by contributors from previous generations.

This is not one of those times.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:22 PM

Great tweet and photo from Jagmeet Singh:

"Don, let me introduce you to “#youpeople”

My great grandfather, Hira Singh, who served in WW1 & WW2 under the British."

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/11...ns-don-cherry/
Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Kelly Hrudey?
Cassie Campbell?
Brian Burke?
Hayley Wickenheiser?

Hopefully no one, It seems like a good time to let coaches corner go. It’s time and trying to replace Don would be a huge problem for a large percentage of Canadians. Find some up and coming person with a voice and give them their own thing.

I happen to be biased against Don Cherry as I worked in proximity to him (not on his show, in the building) for a while and found him to be a huge jerk (Ron is great). Good riddance.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:03 PM

I couldn't believe he was still on TV. Does he just really like giving out his outdated opinions (which were outdated 20 years ago) that he hadn't retired yet? Or does he need the money to buy a new suit every day?
Old 11-11-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Find some up and coming person with a voice and give them their own thing.
George Stroumboulopoulos?

I'll show myself out....
Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Kelly Hrudey?
Cassie Campbell?
Brian Burke?
Hayley Wickenheiser?

Tim Tebow.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

The intermissions are filled with ex hockey players and coaches pontificating about the game. Let's do something different - I've always liked Hockey Day In Canada... let's have features about hockey's role in communities, the minor leagues, amateur hockey, kids hockey, the NHL players reaching out to the communities with pro bono and charity work.

There's more to this game other than billionaire owners with millionaire players on their salary.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Wrapped-in-the-flag, chickenhawk assholes aren't something I associate with Canada. I feel like I recognize this guy but the last hockey game I watched was the U.S. over Finland, 4-2. Did he cover the Olympics?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 AM

He's my fashion idol. Not the ridiculous jackets that he has custom made from fabric he picks out, but I love his high collared shirts. I wish I could find them.

I like to watch his commentary. I never played the game and don't know much about the x's and o's, but sometimes he'll show a replay and I'll think "so that's how they set that shot up". The game goes so fast it's hard for people like me to see how it works but there are times where he makes me feel like I understand a little more than I did before the segment.

He's also a bombastic old coot but he's like the uncle who's a little behind the times but tells a great story.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
He's also a bombastic old coot but he's like the uncle who's a little behind the times but tells a great story.
Unless you happen to be the kind of people he doesn't like; then you're the subject of abuse. Plenty of people tell great stories without being assholes.

Last edited by Telemark; 11-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 AM

As others have said, this HAS been a long time coming. For years, Cherry (and MacLean, for that matter) were great at providing some insight into the game but even that input has waned over the last decade or more.

My peeve was actually not with Cherry but the masses who blindly agreed with absolutely everything he says. As a hockey player, parent, coach, and fan, I began to realize that you needed to filter almost everything he said to "You kids, out there...". His brand of hockey is long gone and his politics even older.

That said, I do wish he'd ended his career on a different note and retired years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
It needs to be someone with knowledge of the Toronto market, who is popular with Leaf fans, and has a deep understanding of hockey.

I nominate Mats Sundin.
I can see it now! Mats' Corner... brought to you by .... Campbell's Chunky Soup!

<Mats' Mom>"MATS! Did you eat your Chunky Soup!"<Mat's Mom>

...wish I could find video link

Last edited by Sparky812; 11-12-2019 at 09:28 AM.