Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Things that don't bother you, but seem to bother everyone else

Inspired by this post in another thread.

What are things that seem to bother most other people, but not you?

For me it's definitely personal/invasive questions. I couldn't bother me less. I might politely decline to answer, but the mere act of asking a personal question doesn't affect me. At all.

I once caught up with an aunt I hadn't seen in a long time, who started probing me with some very personal questions about an extremely difficult family event. She was clearly doing it with an intention to "get the gossip".

I just kept politely declining to answer the questions. The questioning itself couldn't have bothered me any less.

When I told my sister about my aunt's questioning, I told it as a "funny story", to elicit laughs. "Can you believe our aunt was that shameless?? BWA HA HA HA!!" etc.

What seems to bother most other people, but not you?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:17 PM

If I answered this question, it would bother you.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:39 PM

Do NOT shop at T. Joe's if you are a private person. "So....! Plenty of bratwurst and peppers. Looks like someone's grilling out, and inviting the neighbors..." I always want to mess with the checker and say stuff like "Actually, I've been trying to build a huge domino setup in your parking lot; brats and peppers add an extra level of difficulty."

Actually, I've taken to arching an eyebrow and whispering "NOT that it's anyone's business, but... yeah."
Old 11-14-2019, 07:46 PM

I'll add another one:

Religious doorknockers. They don't bother me. I take the same view on them as Penn Jillette. These doorknockers are convinced that I may not be on the path to salvation, and are knocking to try and warn me. They might be wrong, but they believe it to be true, so I understand their actions. They've always moved along when I've politely told them I'm not interested today, so I don't buy the arguement that religious doorknockers are "shoving their religion down my throat" by simply knocking (I'm sure pushy religious doorknockers do exist, I've just never met one).

So yes. Knocking on my door because you want me to put on the path to salvation? Doesn't bother me.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Zombie threads.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
So yes. Knocking on my door because you want me to put on the path to salvation? Doesn't bother me.
I'm right there with you and this despite having had a bad experience or two. I'm always a bit baffled by people who get enraged at door-to-door proselytizing. It's not like they're telemarketers( who themselves also don't particularly enrage me most of the time ). They're trying to be good people by their own beliefs, so I find politely declining their invitations and wishing them a good day is just decent manners. It's not like I'm usually up to something so important that I can't spare two or three minutes.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
I'll add another one:

Religious doorknockers. They don't bother me. I take the same view on them as Penn Jillette. These doorknockers are convinced that I may not be on the path to salvation, and are knocking to try and warn me. They might be wrong, but they believe it to be true, so I understand their actions. They've always moved along when I've politely told them I'm not interested today, so I don't buy the arguement that religious doorknockers are "shoving their religion down my throat" by simply knocking (I'm sure pushy religious doorknockers do exist, I've just never met one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I'm right there with you and this despite having had a bad experience or two. I'm always a bit baffled by people who get enraged at door-to-door proselytizing. It's not like they're telemarketers( who themselves also don't particularly enrage me most of the time ). They're trying to be good people by their own beliefs, so I find politely declining their invitations and wishing them a good day is just decent manners. It's not like I'm usually up to something so important that I can't spare two or three minutes.
Same here. I thought I was the only one.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:40 PM

people who have their steak well done, if you like it that way then have it that way, it doesn't bother me in the least
Old 11-14-2019, 10:47 PM

I do not understand the need to spend large amounts of money to recover the dead from World War. Let their bones rest.

I do not understand the horror of locking up Japanese-American in camps during the war. Of all the things that happened to people during that dreadful era, being sent to Utah and having your property stolen was way down the list. (On the other hand, why has it taken so long to do whatever we could to make these people whole as far as is possible?)

I do not understand people who have waited decades in order to accuse their rapists. If you are raped, he did something wrong, not you.

On the other hand I seem to lack empathy I suppose.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 PM

A seasonal issue: I have neighbors who rake/blow their leaves every single day, without exception. I rake ONCE, after all the trees are bare. I realize that some of my leaves are blowing all over the neighbors' lawns, but if they waited like I do, it wouldn't really be a problem for them. It's their choice, and I really don't care. My husband wants to go out and rake, but I tell him not to, on principle.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:25 PM

people that die of accidental drug orverdoses or kill THEMSELVES while driving drunk. a lot of people think it is a shame, me I figure it was their choice.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:29 AM

Cleaning the litter box.

As far as doorknockers go, LDS >>> JW
Old 11-15-2019, 12:51 AM

Mandolin music.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Zombie threads.
Same here, and for all message boards, not just this one. Users/members come and go, and If it's an interesting topic, I'm fine with a thread from 2005 re-surfacing and adding insight.

I truly and honestly don't know why some chafe over this.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:52 AM

Genealogy, couldn't give a stuff.

I have every reason to suspect some weird shit in the nether regions of my dad's side of the family. There are some very curious and exotic colourations and features that have come on down the line but I haven't got the slightest bit of interest in any of it. Nothing you could tell me about my genetic history could be of the slightest relevance to me, now.

My wife and her dad are fascinated by it but when they tell me I just glaze over. My wife and I are actually related a good few generations past and my response to that was along the lines of .......of course, we're from a fairly immobile rural area of small communities and were born 5 miles apart, I'd be shocked if we weren't.

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 11-15-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Smelling bad stuff.

My sense of smell isn't normal. I guess it's genetic. It takes a strong smell before I even notice and I can't differenciate differrent smells. To me, it's "something", good, bad, flowery or citris. And it takes a REALLY bad smell before it bothers me.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm with you on the dying of a drug overdose shit. What, someone put a gun to their head and forced them to do it?

Homosexuality has never bothered me. When it comes to consenting adults, as long as you stay out of my bedroom I don't give a fuck who you are fucking.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Tattoos. Many people my age (old) seem to hate them. Except for the really extreme ones, I’m fine with them
Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Yielding when a political argument escalates.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I deal with truth. If you want to say something negative about me, go head but it had jolly well be true. Otherwise, I'll have to fight the urge to scratch your eyes out.

If you need a list of the negative things that are true about me, I'll make you one. And it will be longer than anyone else's.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Temperature, I have a wide tolerance. people in my current office space are forever complaining about the AC and playing with it. They ask me whether I'm hot/cold to which I reply "no" (and mutter under my breath about the Deming funnel and how them messing with the control is only making things worse)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

People forgetting anniversaries, birthdays, etc. just doesn't matter to me.

People calling me by the wrong name. Even husband can get away with it if it doesn't happen too often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author Balk View Post
Smelling bad stuff.

My sense of smell isn't normal. I guess it's genetic. It takes a strong smell before I even notice and I can't differenciate differrent smells. To me, it's "something", good, bad, flowery or citris. And it takes a REALLY bad smell before it bothers me.
I don't really have a sense of smell either. I'm glad because it seems like smells cause people to bitch all the time.

Last edited by Dung Beetle; 11-15-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: You know what pisses me off? Spacing!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Another one for zombie threads.

I don't care which way the toilet paper goes on the roll.

I enjoy winter.

I don't mind drinking coffee that's gone cold.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Temperature, I have a wide tolerance. people in my current office space are forever complaining about the AC and playing with it. They ask me whether I'm hot/cold to which I reply "no" (and mutter under my breath about the Deming funnel and how them messing with the control is only making things worse)
Same with me. I ride my bicycle to work year round. I live in a northern climate (not far from US/Canada border) so the typical range I see in that year is 0-90 Fahrenheit. You acclimate. Currently, my morning ride is in the 20s and it now feels not so bad. When I leave work it's in the 40s and I can wear my shorts at that temp. The only thing that stinks about winter riding is my bike is heavy (fenders, heavy studded tires, lights, etc) and I'm already looking forward to April when I can go back to a light bike. Those e-bikes look better every winter. I'm waiting for my winter bike to break so I can justify it - I've had it 20 years so it's gotta break one of these days.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Mandolin music.
I didnít realize that mandolin music bothered people but if it does I have to agree with RioRico.

My other answer would be how people like their food. Steak well done, beans in chili, mayo on anything.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Me
Old 11-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Unrealistic or inaccurate things in movies and T.V. shows. I honestly didn't know this was an issue for people before the Internet. Movies and T.V. shows are not supposed to be realistic, they are supposed to be entertaining. If I want reality, I'll look around me. I just can't see getting upset because something in a movie is not the same as it is in real life.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:05 PM

I like the smell of my own farts... but nobody else's.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 PM

People screwing around at work. If they're not making my job harder or endangering our customers, not my problem. It's not my job to make sure you do yours.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:40 PM

When someone says something, dresses a certain way, or presents a symbol or sign that others find offensive and hurtful and they do it with zero malicious intent, I really donít give crap.
If someone finds some random swastika patterns in a first graders mosaic art project I couldnít care less.
If someone is a big Beyonce fan and puts on some bronzer to dress like her for Halloween so what?
If some kids want to play the circle game and have never heard that it is now considered some kind of white supremacy sign, let them play the dumb circle game.
If some girl is a big fan of rap music and someone catches her singing along to a song and she says the n-word I think she is a fan of rap music and nothing else.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Comic sans. I am vehemently against some typefaces, but I think there's a place for Comic Sans. Probably not on your business card. Certainly not on MY business card. But I think it's a good choice at times. Like if you don't have Dom Casual.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 11-15-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Spiders, bugs in the house, snakes. Animal feces (I have cleaned up too much of too many species to care). "Germs" in situations where the likelihood of contacting a contagious disease or a parasite is extremely unlikely. Pet rats.

I also like winter.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Tattoos. Many people my age (old) seem to hate them. Except for the really extreme ones, Iím fine with them
I'm old but I like some tattoos. I don't have any and likely won't ever get any. I see images online of some insanely great (IMHO) tattoos. I just hate the ones I see in real life. I swear, the people I work with look for what ever tattoo place is closest and their first question is "What's on sale?"
Old 11-15-2019, 08:23 PM

The DST and back again time changes. It’s an hour, not the end of the world.

“Creepy-crawly” things - spiders, snakes, ants, bees etc. They don’t worry me at all.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I find it impossible to imagine any word or phrase that would get me so riled up to punch, shoot, or run over someone. My motto is "Sticks & stones..."

Insult my race, my occupation, my heritage or my mama...I can't find any word so offensive as to require a violent reaction.

But you use a single offensive epithet to some people, and you better run for your life.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Mandolin music.
I have no problem with that...

But...

How do you feel about Myron Florin music? Dick Contino music? Florian Zabach music? All three together? While stoned?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll add another one:

Religious doorknockers. They don't bother me. I take the same view on them as Penn Jillette. These doorknockers are convinced that I may not be on the path to salvation, and are knocking to try and warn me. They might be wrong, but they believe it to be true, so I understand their actions.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
[...]It's not like they're telemarketers( who themselves also don't particularly enrage me most of the time ). They're trying to be good people by their own beliefs, so I find politely declining their invitations and wishing them a good day is just decent manners.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Same here. I thought I was the only one.
I'm glad there's three others out there!
There's a pit thread out there about this, and I posted my opinion, and wasn't summarily booted out of the thread for it, but it certainly was going against the general tone of that thread.

I invite JW's in my home and we have a nice chat. I know they really want to make a major difference in my life, and I also know that it must stink to deal with folks from that pit thread all day long. So we chat.
And they explain their doctrines and theology and I explain mine, and we look at a few Bible verses. What's wrong with that? It puts me in a position where I have to consider the reasons between certain doctrines, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 PM

A certain signature.

Regards,

krondys
Old 11-15-2019, 11:06 PM

Answering unfamiliar phone numbers.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 PM

Judging by Reddit video game subs, people taking screenshots of funny/interesting things by taking a picture with a phone...
Old 11-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Comic sans. I am vehemently against some typefaces, but I think there's a place for Comic Sans. Probably not on your business card. Certainly not on MY business card. But I think it's a good choice at times. Like if you don't have Dom Casual.
I've read that Comic Sans is great for dyslexics. I don't know if this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
How do you feel about Myron Florin music? Dick Contino music? Florian Zabach music? All three together? While stoned?
ZaBach was a fast fiddler, and the others? The slogan of the annual Cotati (California) Accordion Festival is, "Accordions don't play LADY OF SPAIN - people do." I'm also okay with Korla Pandit on organ at the skating rink. Some, like my granddaughter, hate high-pitched Indian females singing, or Yma Sumac. As with Comic Sans, I'm not bothered.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:41 AM

Dandelions in my lawn (which is a carpet of mostly weeds anyway).
Old 11-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
A certain signature.

Regards,

krondys
Well played! Quarry-worthy, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Zombie threads.
Hope you're enjoying this, because you'll get to read it all over again when I post A Thing That Doesn't Bother Me to this thread on this date in 2049.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Trolls on this board.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Trolls on this board.
?Are you just saying that to get a rise outa peopleŅ
Old 11-16-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Cold Weather. We're having an unseasonable cold snap, and people are complaining. I'm getting asked "Where are your gloves? Aren't you cold? Do you have a winter coat?" Well, cold do not bother me. I'm wearing a sweater and a warm jacket, and a hat with both hoods over it. That's all I need.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
?Are you just saying that to get a rise outa peopleŅ
Heavens to Betsy! Now what kind of monster would do something like that?? 😮
Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Cold Weather. We're having an unseasonable cold snap, and people are complaining. I'm getting asked "Where are your gloves? Aren't you cold? Do you have a winter coat?" Well, cold do not bother me. I'm wearing a sweater and a warm jacket, and a hat with both hoods over it. That's all I need.
I'm surprised cold weather doesn't bother your wrist.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes it does make my left wrist sore and/or stiffens it, but since I'm right handed it's not a big deal. When it happens to be really bad, I put on a wrist brace.

I really only need to wear one mitten because the hand itself does not feel any pain.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:45 PM

For me, it would be pumpkin spice. I am not fond of it, but have nothing against it. Yet many people on social media seem to burn with a white-hot rage against pumpkin spice.

Ditto for pineapple on pizza, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but people lose their minds.