Old 11-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Trump Jr. asks supporters to deliberately create conflict during Thanksgiving

Don Trump Jr. asks supporters to deliberately rile up liberal family members during Thanksgiving dinner because he thinks it is a funny thing to do. He is awarding his new book and a MAGA hat to the "best" picture or video.
Republicans: Is this a line he shouldn't have crossed, or is it one step over the line, Sweet Jesus?
Old 11-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

To late to edit: That last line shoud be
Republicans: Is this o.k. with you, or is it one step over the line, Sweet Jesus?
Old 11-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

"One toke over the line, sweet Jesus" and the thought of him stoned makes my skin crawl.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:49 PM

There is no "over the line" with Trump or his spawn.

This is the "haw haw, I pissed you off!" presidency.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:00 PM

No plates this year. Only bowls. Conflict will ensue as there will be no way to keep the gravy from merging with the cranberry sauce or sweet potato off the turkey. It will be anarchy!
Old 11-28-2019, 04:02 PM

In the meantime, former president Obama has a more positive Thanksgiving message:

Quote:
Today, we give thanks for our blessings, give back to those around us, and enjoy some time and turkey, and maybe a little football with the ones we love. From the Obama family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
Old 11-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Jeeze -
how do you guys go from someone as classy as Obama to someone as crass as Trump?
all politics aside, how is "riling" those with different views during THANKSGIVING a good thing?
Old 11-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
Jeeze -
how do you guys go from someone as classy as Obama to someone as crass as Trump?
all politics aside, how is "riling" those with different views during THANKSGIVING a good thing?
Easy:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." - Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 11-29-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The Instagram post at the bottom of that article is equally petty and stupid.

Oh look - it's another Donald Trump pushing his tiny junk onto an unwilling woman.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I got not problem with that. I just keep politics out of it. Football (Your team sucks!), the meal we're eating right now (pumpkin vs sweet potato pie), painful childhood memories (Remember that time you wet yourself in 6th grade gym class?). Keep in mind though, this is your family. They know where all your bodies are buried too. Keep it classy and smile when you pass the gravy.

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 11-29-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Ah-nold needs to teach these Trump trolls how a real Republican behaves around liberal relatives, on threat of throwing them like hammers.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:30 AM

A lot of what Trump does seems just to rial up some people on the left. From releasing the war criminal to environmental destruction. He seems to have a personal vendetta against the 'left' in general, and he does not care who he hurts in the process. Perhaps he has seen them to take some of his money for social programs or something, but unquestionably seems like his motive is revenge. Really once you see that, it's really pathetic and sad that he just lives to steal joy from others and gets power from that.

Last edited by kanicbird; 11-29-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:44 AM

Trump Jr is such a sad pathetic loser.

Born with a silver spoon in his mouth yet. Never done anything in his life without riding daddy's coattails despite in his own words Trump not being much of a father. And acts like he's some sort of everyday man.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
"One toke over the line, sweet Jesus" and the thought of him stoned makes my skin crawl.
Neither of us being without sin, mind if I cut in line?
Old 11-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I've said it before: Republicans want to hurt Democrats, and don't care that they hurt everyone in the process. Democrats want to help everyone, and don't care that they help Republicans in the process.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I've said it before: Republicans want to hurt Democrats, and don't care that they hurt everyone in the process. Democrats want to help everyone, and don't care that they help Republicans in the process.
Sharing.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:10 PM

For Christmas, I think a distant liberal member of his family should show up for Christmas dinner at the Trumps, and when asked what he would like for desert, simply say: "I'll have the im-peach cobbler."
Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Um, there are entire sections of this very message board dedicated to riling up folks of a different political party.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Um, there are entire sections of this very message board dedicated to riling up folks of a different political party.
Is that the best excuse you can come up with to defend a political leader asking supporters to deliberately rile up family members during a time set aside to bring people together?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 11-29-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don Trump Jr. asks supporters to deliberately rile up liberal family members during Thanksgiving dinner because he thinks it is a funny thing to do. He is awarding his new book and a MAGA hat to the "best" picture or video.
Republicans: Is this a line he shouldn't have crossed, or is it one step over the line, Sweet Jesus?
Hell, my brother-in-law (may he rot in pieces) was doing this way before Little Donny Small Dick came up with it. The guy could have easily won this contest.

Oh, and Donny? Just because your book is selling a lot of copies to PACs and the RNC, it doesn't mean you're a successful "author" or than anyone is actually reading the fucking thing. Pathetic loser.

Last edited by Chefguy; 11-29-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

How could someone possibly approve of trolling family members during a special dinner just to please a political leader??
Old 11-29-2019, 01:13 PM

This is so classically Trumpian. Their world view is just so fucked up and pathetic.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:36 PM

This is kinda creepy next level shit. I know Trump Jr is probably just thinks it's hilarious and wants to pimp his book. But this is a not so unsubtle way to make people choose party over their fucking family.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
This is kinda creepy next level shit. I know Trump Jr is probably just thinks it's hilarious and wants to pimp his book. But this is a not so unsubtle way to make people choose party over their fucking family.
I could have sworn that happened before in history.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Could we get the entire damn family to live under a bridge, where they belong, if said bridge has the Trump name on it?
Old 11-29-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know you know the difference between 'here's a place for you guys to argue about politics' and DTJ telling people to trigger (his word) their family at Thanksgiving, record them getting riled up and upload it to social media...because he thinks it will be funny.

If he had said 'this thanksgiving we encourage you to discuss the current political climate with the people you share the table with. It's time to bring politics out into the open instead of something that we consider taboo', it at least would have been a little classier than 'hey everyone, wear a MAGA hat and tell your college aged kin how much you love Trump..Best reaction/meltdown video wins a copy of my book'.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know Trump Jr is probably just thinks it's hilarious and wants to pimp his book.
Not 'probably', those were literally his words. His tweet (in part) was "Have some fun & talk politics at the thanksgiving table. Best pic/vid of something/someone triggered maybe w/ my book, wins a signed copy of Triggered".
Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If your republican family member starts trying to talk some shit, just wish them a 'Happy Holiday'. Make sure to film the melt down....
Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Is that the best excuse you can come up with to defend a political leader asking supporters to deliberately rile up family members during a time set aside to bring people together?
It's not an excuse at all.

It is an accurate description, though.

Your outrage against the President's son is misplaced. IME, families argue about politics during the holidays all of the time.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Lol yeah. I have a particular friend who is constantly advocating for confronting conservative family members at family gatherings. To the point where if you value not rocking the boat at those events, you are a bad person.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Your outrage against the President's son is misplaced. IME, families argue about politics during the holidays all of the time.
Stop signs are red and usually octagons. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the discussion but you must agree, it is an accurate description!

Some families discuss politics, some don't. Sometimes lines are crossed and anger erupts. You are being blase about Jr actively encouraging people to aim for that and cause strife within their family.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Not 'probably', those were literally his words. His tweet (in part) was "Have some fun & talk politics at the thanksgiving table. Best pic/vid of something/someone triggered maybe w/ my book, wins a signed copy of Triggered".
The "probably" was modifying "just". I am giving him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he would have thought about the creepy next level shit implications.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:

True, but what he's asking people to do is to troll their own family members and then embarrass them publicly, for the benefit of the president and his party. It's an attempt to sow the seeds of division, to Balkanize the electorate and society precisely because it's only through division that a minority faction can win power.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jeeze -
All I can think of is that the president rated by consensus of American historians as the single greatest president, Lincoln, was bracketed by the two very worst on the list, Buchanan and A. Johnson.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
To late to edit: That last line shoud be
Republicans: Is this o.k. with you, or is it one step over the line, Sweet Jesus?
I'm not thrilled about it, and have no intention of picking fights with the few liberals in my family over the holidays, but it's not enough to convince me to vote for a Democrat, if that's what you mean by "over the line".

Frankly, the whole thing kind of reminded me of Obama asking his supporters to argue with people and get in their faces.

Quote:
I don't think of Donald Trump Jr. as any more of a "political leader" than I imagine you do of Kellyanne Conway's husband.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 11-29-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
It is that broad? I limited this to Trump.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Trump and his swamp of sycophants.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Swamp Thing! He makes my heart sink
And not a thing
Groovy....
Old 11-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Mitch McConnell was doing it long before Trump was elected.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:23 PM

It's fun to get drunk at family gatherings and yell at each other over religio-politico-socio stuff. But that's after the meal, when sharp utensils and hot items aren't available. And leave the badminton rackets alone.

Oh, about junior. Pathetic as usual. It's genetic.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm not thrilled about it, and have no intention of picking fights with the few liberals in my family over the holidays, but it's not enough to convince me to vote for a Democrat, if that's what you mean by "over the line".

Frankly, the whole thing kind of reminded me of Obama asking his supporters to argue with people and get in their faces.

I don't think of Donald Trump Jr. as any more of a "political leader" than I imagine you do of Kellyanne Conway's husband.
I don't think that the OP was asking if this is enough to make someone vote against their natural inclination. I think it was more of an "is this an okay action and completely within the lines of regular social decorum, or is it more akin to cracking jokes and talking shit about someone at a funeral? Is this an action that, if the roles were reversed, you would consider bad form?"
Old 11-30-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I don't think that the OP was asking if this is enough to make someone vote against their natural inclination. I think it was more of an "is this an okay action and completely within the lines of regular social decorum, or is it more akin to cracking jokes and talking shit about someone at a funeral? Is this an action that, if the roles were reversed, you would consider bad form?"
Even with the roles as they actually are, I consider it "bad form". Can I ask your opinion of Obama's "get in their faces" quote? (please note, I don't want to sidetrack the thread with that tangent, just a simple "approve" or "disapprove" from you should suffice)

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 11-30-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Even with the roles as they actually are, I consider it "bad form". Can I ask your opinion of Obama's "get in their faces" quote? (please note, I don't want to sidetrack the thread with that tangent, just a simple "approve" or "disapprove" from you should suffice)
Since you somehow failed to actually give the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama
"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face. And if they tell you that, 'Well, we're not sure where he stands on guns.' I want you to say, 'He believes in the Second Amendment.' If they tell you, 'Well, he's going to raise your taxes,' you say, 'No, he's not, he's going lower them.' You are my ambassadors. You guys are the ones who can make the case.

I guess I missed the part where he discussed triggering people and mocking them.

Could you point it out to me?

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 11-30-2019 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Missed a nut
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 AM

Obama also failed to offer an autographed book for the best ambassadorship caught on video.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Obama also failed to offer an autographed book for the best ambassadorship caught on video.
Obama didn't need RNC and PAC help to make the bestsellers list.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I agreed with the sentiment, but I thought he could have worded it better. So, I guess, taking it solely of just the phrase out of context, I disagreed with it.

I also think it's inherently different than trying to provoke someone just to piss them off. Obama was trying to foster debate. Trump just seems to want to be trolling people.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:15 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
There is a difference between encouraging others to debate when possible, and encouraging others to troll their own family members during a special occasion and film the result in order to win a book and a hat.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Donju is just describing the go-to Republican tactic since at least the beginning of the Tea Party days - your fellow Americans are your enemy, so wage war on them.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
If your republican family member starts trying to talk some shit, just wish them a 'Happy Holiday'. Make sure to film the melt down....
Aw, that probably would not do it. "Kwanzaa," though...
Old 11-30-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Has Junior posted any videos?