Old 12-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Beware DMV employees wearing MAGA hats

Just got back from taking my youngest daughter, Chlo, to her drivers test to get licenced to drive in the state of Florida.

I took my oldest daughter to her driver's test two years ago. She passed, but not without comment from her tester.

“Your daughter’s got a lead foot and I could fail her for that, but, otherwise, she’s a good driver and a good kid, so I passed her.”

Chlo is a much better driver than her sister. Safe, slow and responsible. I white knuckle it driving with my oldest; I relax driving with Chlo.

Chlo’s best friend had her driving test 30 minutes before Chlo today. On the way to the DMV, her friend texted:

“The instructor stopped my road test after 2 minutes. He didn’t say anything, just made me drive back and park. Don’t know what that means. I don’t like him.”

Less than 5 minutes later, she texted, “That old 70year old f%#$er failed me! I didn’t do anything wrong! … they should exterminate old people. I hate him! F$%#ing douchebag geezers. He was wearing a MAGA hat!” Her diatribe went on and on. I didn’t know teens knew the kind of curses she was spewing. If I were a sailor, i’d be blushing.

Needless to say, this text conversation did not comfort my daughter.

Minutes later, we arrive at the DMV. The instructor introduced himself. He was ~70 years old and wearing a MAGA cap. He told me to wait inside while he took my daughter for her driving test. Instead, I went to the lot and watched the test. Looked to me like she passed with flying colors.

They get back to the office, my daughter gets out of the car, looking dejected. Mr. MAGA hat gets out of the car and walks past us without saying a word. He say’s, “wait in the waiting room till I call you.”

30 minutes later, he calls us to his station. He tells my daughter, “you failed.” He gave some lame excuse for her failure (same lame excuse he told her friend). I said, let her try again, she was obviously nervous.” He said, “nope, she’s got to reschedule for another day. That will be $6 for today.”

I said, “you failed my daughter for some lame reason and you want her to pay $6?”

“Yep”

I said, “sorry, I don’t have $6 and neither does my daughter. Sue us.”

He spewed, “b...but, I’m going to make a note of this on the computer!”

“Ok, why don’t you do that.”

At that point 2 ladies in the office who were listening to all this said, “c’mon, Bob, pay for this poor girl’s test, it won’t kill you.” It was obvious they were fed up with their co-worker’s bullshit tactics.

He reluctantly ponied up the 6 bucks and said, “you better have $6 when you get retested!”

I said, “we will, but we won’t get retested at this DMV. Merry Christmas scrooge” (actually, he looked about my age). Then we walked out.

My daughter’s devastated and embarrassed about failing her driver's test. So is her friend. I’m making them a nice dinner (vegan, because they are vegans).

Daughter: nose ring, tats and blue hair. Best friend: orange hair, piercings and tats. DMV guy: stubble grey beard, blue jeans and MAGA hat. You do the math.

Last edited by Tibby; 12-06-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:10 PM

A billion yrs ago, i remember them taking the money before the test.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I understand you're mad, but I'm not sure what the MAGA hat has to do with it.
Also, it can't possibly be a good idea to stiff the DMV. I'm not sure what your reasoning was for that. It seems that has a real possibility to backfire when you go to retake.

Last edited by Joey P; 12-06-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:15 PM
BANNED

What were the actual words he offered for "some lame excuse"? And where are you that the DMV runs the whole test and then collects payment afterwards? That seems like a bizarre way to do things.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 12-06-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I understand you're mad, but I'm not sure what the MAGA hat has to do with it.
Also, it can't possibly be a good idea to stiff the DMV. I'm not sure what your reasoning was for that. It seems that has a real possibility to backfire when you go to retake.
Seconded.

It seems like a better tactic would be to record his explanation (or lack of one) for the failure and then file a complaint. Have your daughter's friend's parents do the same: identical complaints starts to show a pattern. Depending on the policies in effects state employees, it may also be verboten for him to be wearing a MAGA hat on the job (which the military has taken to be a campaign slogan, and therefore not permissible for wear related to official military duties).

Out of curiosity (feel free to ignore)... what was the reason The Hat gave for failing your daughter?

*ETA: seconded with the caveat that I think "the big deal" is this guy is bringing his politics into play by wearing a MAGA hat on the job. Which may be against the conditions of his employment and, regardless, is pretty darn unprofessional IMHO.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 12-06-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Reminds me. I was at the clinic today. I had to wait a few minutes for the infusion room. A guy strutted in with a MAGA hat on. They called "next", we stood up at the same time. Walked to the window and he looked up at me, (He was very short)and said something like "oh, Miss Highpockets, didn't see you there".
I said "That's ok Mr. Short MAGA hat guy, I saw you"
I wanted to kick him.
(I have this 'problem' with short men and wanting to kick, them. I'm thinking of getting help with my 'problem')
Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 PM
BANNED

Frankly, the most alarming part of the whole story (IMHO) was the "they should exterminate old people" rant

ETA: although wanting to kick men for their height deficiency might deserve honorable mention

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 12-06-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Reminds me. I was at the clinic today. I had to wait a few minutes for the infusion room. A guy strutted in with a MAGA hat on. They called "next", we stood up at the same time. Walked to the window and he looked up at me, (He was very short)and said something like "oh, Miss Highpockets, didn't see you there".
I said "That's ok Mr. Short MAGA hat guy, I saw you"
I wanted to kick him.
(I have this 'problem' with short men and wanting to kick, them. I'm thinking of getting help with my 'problem')
What size steel toed boots you wear? I'll send ya some...
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
A billion yrs ago, i remember them taking the money before the test.
Interestingly, the DMV changed policy 999,999,999 years ago.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
Interestingly, the DMV changed policy 999,999,999 years ago.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Frankly, the most alarming part of the whole story (IMHO) was the "they should exterminate old people" rant

ETA: although wanting to kick men for their height deficiency might deserve honorable mention
I never carry out these threats.
I'm 6ft tall, add shoes and I'm taller. A lifetime of short mens eyes looking at a place somewhere between my belly button and neck tends to put a girl on the defensive () just sayin'

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-06-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:

The most alarming thing to me is that a human piece of shit is distorting the system to abuse and extort people he disrespects.

But then I have a vague fondness for society running smoothly.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
The most alarming thing to me is that a human piece of shit is distorting the system to abuse and extort people he disrespects. ...
That's certainly what the OP's perspective is, but without knowing the reason given (and the actual driving test, which none of us can review) there's no real way to know if the instructor is "distorting the system to abuse and extort people he disrespects" or just doing his job and disqualifying unqualified applicants.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That's certainly what the OP's perspective is, but without knowing the reason given (and the actual driving test, which none of us can review) there's no real way to know if the instructor is "distorting the system to abuse and extort people he disrespects" or just doing his job and disqualifying unqualified applicants.
I believe that there is sufficient data in the OP to conclude that one of the two is true:

1) The OP is full of lies from stem to stern.

2) A human piece of shit is distorting the system to abuse and extort people he disrespects.

I mean, when I got my driver's license I was an objectively terrible driver, and I still passed. These things are generally not draconian, and somebody bad enough to fail would be visibly bad - particularly if they were bad enough to fail in two minutes. There is no vaguely possible way to interpret this situation as a fair test - unless of course you have the preconception that 70 year olds in MAGA hats are always right.

I do confess I'd like to know what the lame excuse excuse was, though.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I never carry out these threats.
I'm 6ft tall, add shoes and I'm taller. A lifetime of short mens eyes looking at a place somewhere between my belly button and neck tends to put a girl on the defensive () just sayin'
Eh, fair enough then. I'm mildly curious about your story too. Did he call you "Miss Highpockets" because of your height or for some other reason?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Eh, fair enough then. I'm mildly curious about your story too. Did he call you "Miss Highpockets" because of your height or for some other reason?
I assume it was for being tall. Kinda like the old quip 'how's the weather up there?"
Heard that a few too many times.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:38 PM

I keep checking back to see if Tibby will tell us what the girls failed for...

Or better yet, Tib, let the girls loose on here! I want to hear some Teen Girl Power Awesome Venting!
Old 12-06-2019, 08:06 PM

I don't know about the driving performance part, but the tester wearing a political symbol for an official state-sanctioned test seems not right. If nothing he wore had words or letters on it, we probably would not be having this discussion. The girls would just be complaining about old people. Instead, wearing that hat instantly built mistrust, same if the roles were reversed and the tester wore a Bernie hat. Should not be allowed.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 PM

Daughter not getting her drivers license today as opposed to next week, or the week after, is not a big enough deal to escalate or get our panties all bunched up.

I will take Chloe to another DMV to get tested asap. No big deal. It means my daughter has to take another day off from school (which she really can’t afford to do) and I have to take another day off from work. That’s just part of parenting.

Not a concern if I thought my daughter deserved to fail. But, I don’t think she deserved to fail. Nor, do I belive her friend deserved to fail.

In my daughter’s case, the very last part of the 15 minute test, the instructor told Chloe stop right before a railroad crossing, then told her to do a U-turn. She did as he asked. I was watching and I did not see her turn on the tracks, I saw her go past the tracks, then turn. Maybe she should have gone further past the tracks, but she did not turn on the tracks. The instructor said he saw her brush the tracks on the turn. If she failed, then they should revoke my license too, because I would have done it exactly the same way, and I believe most of you would have, too.

It certainly didn’t help that the instructor was brusk and intimidating—not a good feature for dealing with scared kids.

<snip>Frankly, the most alarming part of the whole story (IMHO) was the "they should exterminate old people" rant<snip>

Teenage melodrama. Nothing more. Do you think teens really want to exterminate old people, or do you think they’re just letting off steam to their teenage friends when they feel unjustly treated? Pretty sure your and my generations had similar rants back in the day.

The reason this incident pissed me off is because I don’t believe my daughter did anything wrong in her road test, and she was looking forward to getting something positive happen in her life after a long series of failures. Something she could be proud of. Something she could post on social media to her family and friends.

Chloe was dealt a bad hand from birth. She has moyamoya disease, a congenital disease that causes strokes. She had her first stroke before birth and three strokes after birth. She endured 2 major brain revascularization surgeries. She has permanent partial paralysis of her left hand and foot (unfortunately, she’s left-handed, so she can’t write well). Luckily, her right side was not affected, so she can drive unrestricted. Her mother abandoned her when she was 3.

She’s struggled her whole life with weight control (thanks to moyamoya) and academics, unlike her sister who is model-thin and an academic and artistic over-achiever (full-ride scholarship to a fine art school, and more). Chloe loves and brags about her gifted sister, but I know deep down she’s envious of her accomplishments. She’d love to excel at something. Anything.

One thing that Chloe excelled at was driving. I’ve driven with her as a passenger (legally, as per Florida law) for ~ a year. She’s a great driver. Better than me. Probably better than you, too. It’s a point of pride for her. It’s the one thing she felt she could do better than her sister.

Passing the driving test would have been a point of pride for Chloe; failing the test is a point of embarrassment.

This clown of a DMV instructor denied my daughter that small point of pride by failing her for supposedly brushing a train track on a u-turn. A brush that I did not see, nor a brush that my daughter believes happened. This is a memory that will stick in my daughter’s mind for the rest of her life. Even when she passes the test, she’ll always remember that she failed the first time around. Second, once again, to her talented sister.

The DMV tester was a dick. Even if he thought Chloe failed the railroad track test, he should have given her the chance to re-do the test immediately, rather than tell her she was a failure. That’s something that can haunt kids for the rest of their lives.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I have this 'problem' with short men and wanting to kick, them.
Interesting. What if I said, "I have this 'problem' with fat women and wanting to kick them." I doubt I would get a pass on the SDMB.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Interesting. What if I said, "I have this 'problem' with fat women and wanting to kick them." I doubt I would get a pass on the SDMB.
Did you report her post?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I'm not really in the business of kicking people. I promise. I thought his name calling me 'Miss Highpockets' was being a bit too familiar. Not to mention his complete lack of good manners by looking at my chest.
If I need modding, so be it. I don't think I was being a jerk or being sexist. Shortist? Maybe.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-06-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This clown of a DMV instructor denied my daughter that small point of pride by failing her for supposedly brushing a train track on a u-turn. A brush that I did not see, nor a brush that my daughter believes happened. This is a memory that will stick in my daughter’s mind for the rest of her life. Even when she passes the test, she’ll always remember that she failed the first time around. Second, once again, to her talented sister.

The DMV tester was a dick. Even if he thought Chloe failed the railroad track test, he should have given her the chance to re-do the test immediately, rather than tell her she was a failure. That’s something that can haunt kids for the rest of their lives.
While I don't doubt the guy was a dick, this doesn't strike me as a helpful way of thinking about something that isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Lots of people fail their driver's test the first time. Once they reach maturer years, it's either something they think of as a funny story or something they rarely think about at all. Almost nobody is haunted for the rest of their life by it.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I don't know about the driving performance part, but the tester wearing a political symbol for an official state-sanctioned test seems not right.
Yes, this. I currently work for my state and have worked for the federal government in the past. Wearing anything with a political slogan on it of any sort is right out and if I'd ever be dumb enough to do it, I'd get told to change/remove the item immediately.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Yes, this. I currently work for my state and have worked for the federal government in the past. Wearing anything with a political slogan on it of any sort is right out and if I'd ever be dumb enough to do it, I'd get told to change/remove the item immediately.
To the OP, this is why I think you and the other parent involved really need to consider sending in a pair of complaints. If you really want to take the sting ought of your daughter getting faked, justly or unjustly, on her driving test, then this is the best way to go about it IMHO.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 PM

What a weird driving test. Why would potential drivers be required to show they knew how to make a U-turn near RR tracks??? I can see requiring evidence a driver can make a U-turn. I can see requiring a driver to show she can safely cross RR tracks. But requiring a potential driver to make a U-turn after crossing tracks to ensure she doesn't brush the tracks? WTF is that about?

Also, how does ONE error=failure? Usually there are point values attached to each required maneuver on the test, with different maneuvers worth varying point values. I can't believe brushing a RR track while making a U-turn would be enough to fail a person.

MAGA hat or no (and I, too, think state employees should not wear political attire at work), this guy apparently has some issues that need to be addressed. The only way to do that is to complain to a supervisor.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
The most alarming thing to me is that a human piece of shit is distorting the system to abuse and extort people he disrespects.

But then I have a vague fondness for society running smoothly.
"[E]xtort" people? Apparently there's a six-dollar fee for taking the road test. Which, in any event, this MAGA-hat wearing examiner waived. Or paid out of his own pocket, which seems incredibly unlikely to me, but I wasn't there. But either way, the examiner did not gain financially. There was no extortion.

As to why the two young women failed the test, the OP does not give a reason (although he/she apparently knows the reason, given that a "lame excuse" is mentioned).

The poster says that his/her daughter's test appeared pretty good from his point of view. Okay, I believe that. On the other hand, as I remember from so many years ago, there's plenty one can do inside the car that will result in failure.

And the best friend certainly seems to be a bit of a handful. Seriously, I don't think her story is worth the paper it's printed on.

But if the examiner was wearing a MAGA hat, well, then, all bets are off. Clearly he failed the two young women because of their appearance.

Edit: I see that the reason for the failure was given in a later post. It's plausible. Things might look different from the poster's vantage point.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 12-06-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Also, how does ONE error=failure?
Happened to me when I was in the process of getting my Virginia driver's license after only having a learner's permit. I had just exited the DMV's service road when the instructor told me to return to the DMV. Failed to come to a complete stop when turning right on red.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-06-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

OTOH, I passed the Louisiana driver's test when I probably shouldn't have. I was 16 and at least a full head taller than the instructor; I think she was afraid of having to ride with me again.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:33 PM

I tell ya, if I'd failed anything and had a parent who'd say "What a jerk! You shoulda passed - you're an excellent driver!"... it would've been worth failing just to hear that. And having a common enemy with my dad or mom... awesome.

Having them believe in me, THAT's the memory I'd carry with me the rest of my life.

Tell your daughter I said that!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:00 AM

In the State of Confusion, I mean, California, time must pass before another behind-the-wheel test can be taken again. One week, one month, whatever.

You get the score shhet, too, detailing what was tested, and if the driver passed or not. I remember losing points on two left turns, but I still passed with a respectable 92%.

Every-damn-thing is on the computer now. Mental fist fights with the examiner or trying to stiff the State out of a fee is not wise. Remember, driving is a privilege and not a right. It is only through the benevolence of the State that you are allowed to operate a motor vehicle. And the vehicle itself must be properly registered with the State, or you cannot even park it on a public street!

I am sorry for your daughter's disappointment. If you did get her score sheet, brush up on the rules regarding u-turns and set backs from railroad tracks. I seem to recall that you need something like 50-foot clearance from railroad tracks. Even if your State permits the u-turn in less than 50-foot clearance, show Chloe how to estimate 50 feet, and tell her she must be at least that distance from the tracks.

IMHO, this should be a learning experience, not a demonstration of how not to behave when you disagree with someone in a position of authority.

I taught my kids: Life isn't fair, get over it. Tough? Yeah, it is.

~VOW
Old 12-07-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
In the State of Confusion, I mean, California, time must pass before another behind-the-wheel test can be taken again. One week, one month, whatever.

You get the score shhet, too, detailing what was tested, and if the driver passed or not. I remember losing points on two left turns, but I still passed with a respectable 92%....
Same in Washington state, at least it was like that 30 some years ago. I passed on the third try and my first try didn't even las the entire 30 minutes (or whatever the time period was).

Slightly different bandwagon, I was amazed when I found out about my husband's driving test. It was done in a closed course, not on public roads. I think PA has changed since then.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 AM

Passing a test like this can be a crap-shoot in any case.

My story: I passed my test in CA in 1968 at age 17 on my very first try. Bragging much? Nah -- there was a certain amount of dumb beginner's luck going on. I did rather better than my actual skill should have allowed, as I recall.

In particular was the Offset Backing test. (More commonly know as Parallel Parking.) Yeah, we had to demonstrate that in those days. Unlike the rest of the test, this was done in the DMV lot. There was a parking spot marked with bendy poles at the corners. I thought it was a DAMN TIGHT spot to try to get into without hitting the poles. I sure didn't feel that skilled at the time, nor at any time since. By pure beginner's luck, AFACT, I did it absolutely perfectly on the first try.

You wanna see a "road test" that will REALLY curdle your blood? Take a look at this:
Private Pilot Certification Standards (PDF, 80-some pages )
Old 12-07-2019, 08:20 AM

The good thing about those wearing MAGA caps is you know exactly who Jesus wants you to pray for. That's why God also made those caps bright red and placed it on their heads, so there is no missing it. Mark of the beast, forehead location??? Hmmm

Last edited by kanicbird; 12-07-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Regarding the "one error equals failure" - my state uses points, but certain infractions, like running a stop sign are an automatic failure. And regarding an immediate retest - the examiner couldn't do that in my state. I mean he could , but he's not supposed to ( he doesn't know how many road tests you have taken already, and only two are included with the permit fee, plus they have to be scheduled so you don't end up with more people than the examiners can test in a day) and there might be consequences. I don't just mean from his employer - I mean from the other people who failed and now want an immediate re-test and the people had to wait longer because of the re-tests.

About the MAGA hat- yes, he shouldn't have been wearing it, but road test examiners have been assholes since before anyone outside NYC heard of Trump. I know someone who was told 40 years ago that she failed because she took the test on her birthday , and he didn't want her to think that was a lucky day.

Last edited by doreen; 12-07-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:43 AM

I'm still not sure what his age had to do with anything. Would it have made a difference if the guy had been 40?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 AM

IT took me two tries to pass my drivers test, failed the parallel park bit. ALso took me two tries to pass my motorcycle safety course, put my foot fown on the slow obstacle course.

WHen my eldest finally at 20yo decided to get her DL, it was for a summer job she got driving camp kids around. She had no practice time beforehand. We worried about her passing, she hadn't had behind the wheel time in a while. SHe said no problem I watched you tubes of parking so I'm good. Ya think? My only advice to her was dress conservatively, you'll probably have an old guy who doesn't appreciate casual dress like leggings and rude tshirts. OFf she went in jeans and a flannel to take her test. She had to go way across town to an unfamiliar area to get the test. I made her Dad go with her as I would've jinxed the whole operation I'm sure.

She passed, with flying colors! But to drive children in 8 passenger vans? I did not express my doubts and glad I did not. Turns out she was the only one of her peers at camp who could pull a trailer of canoes and expertly park it anywhere.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
30 minutes later, he calls us to his station. He tells my daughter, “you failed.” He gave some lame excuse for her failure (same lame excuse he told her friend). I said, let her try again, she was obviously nervous.” He said, “nope, she’s got to reschedule for another day. That will be $6 for today.”
I think that it was wrong for the guy to wear a MAGA hat. I don't think that government employees should be making any overt political statements like this as part of their employment, especially in a public-facing job. In California, state employees are only allowed to wear campaign buttons or political message clothing at work if they "do not have direct contact with the public or clientele they manage or serve." So, in California at least, this guy would be violating policy. (I use California as an example because I'm an employee of the state.)

But you probably need to get a better grip on reality. For better or worse, driving in a testing environment like this is usually far more stringent and nitpicky than the normal driving conditions that people face every day. Driving testers will often dock points for incredibly minor offenses that would never attract the attention of a police officer. They often dock points for things that aren't offenses at all. For example, failing to check your blind spot before changing lanes is not, by itself, a ticketable offense, but in many jurisdictions, it will be marked as an error on a driving test and contribute to a failing grade.

We can argue about whether the system of driver testing that we have in this country is any good. Personally, I tend to believe that passing your driving test is more an indication of an ability to pass the test than it is of whether or not you're actually a good driver. You might be right that your daughter is an excellent driver, but the fact is that passing the test is really not the same thing as being a good driver. Maybe that sucks, but it's the truth.

It might make you and your daughter feel better to believe that this guy was a dick who denied her a license for political reasons, but it could also be that your daughter did, or didn't do something on the test that he would have failed anyone for, even someone wearing their own MAGA hat.

I've had drivers licenses in four countries, and taken driving tests in three of them. Nowhere I have ever been has a rule allowing a person who fails their driving test to turn around straight away and take their test again on the same day. As others have noted, some jurisdictions have minimum wait times before you can take another test. Beside the fact that they want you to wait before retesting, the fact is that most DMVs are busy enough that there is probably someone else waiting to take their own test when you finish yours. That person also has an appointment. Why should they be inconvenienced just because you believe that your daughter has a right to an immediate do-over?

Last edited by mhendo; 12-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
It might make you and your daughter feel better to believe that this guy was a dick who denied her a license for political reasons, but it could also be that your daughter did, or didn't do something on the test that he would have failed anyone for, even someone wearing their own MAGA hat.
The thing is, there ought to be some objective way to tell. Whether you pass or fail should be based on standard, clearly documented reasons. The tester shouldn't be able to decide ahead of time that you're going to fail just because he doesn't like your looks. That's what the OP suspects happened, and I think she might be right. A guy who would behave unprofessionally in one way (wearing the MAGA hat at work) would behave unprofessionally in other ways.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
The thing is, there ought to be some objective way to tell. Whether you pass or fail should be based on standard, clearly documented reasons. The tester shouldn't be able to decide ahead of time that you're going to fail just because he doesn't like your looks. That's what the OP suspects happened, and I think she might be right. A guy who would behave unprofessionally in one way (wearing the MAGA hat at work) would behave unprofessionally in other ways.
I absolutely think that there's a possibility this happened. I also tend to agree that a person who would be unprofessional in one way might be more likely to be unprofessional in others. It's entirely possible that the OP is right. But it's also possible that she's wrong.

Here are the reasons she said she was given:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby
In my daughter’s case, the very last part of the 15 minute test, the instructor told Chloe stop right before a railroad crossing, then told her to do a U-turn. She did as he asked. I was watching and I did not see her turn on the tracks, I saw her go past the tracks, then turn. Maybe she should have gone further past the tracks, but she did not turn on the tracks. The instructor said he saw her brush the tracks on the turn. If she failed, then they should revoke my license too, because I would have done it exactly the same way, and I believe most of you would have, too.
We're relying here on the OP's own observations, and she has her own motivations to view things in a light most sympathetic to her daughter. Her final sentence is also quite instructive, because it betrays an ignorance of the way that driving tests work. The tests aren't really about how experienced drivers drive on a daily basis.

I've been driving for over 30 years, in multiple countries on three continents, and I consider myself an attentive and thoughtful and defensive driver. I've never had an at-fault accident. And in the course of my driving I probably do at least a dozen things every day that would cause me to fail a driving test. I exceed the speed limit, especially on freeways and highways. I sometimes don't come to a complete stop before Stop signs or right turns on red. I occasionally complete u-turns in business districts. I do my best not to endanger or inconvenience other road users when I do this, but I'm under no illusion about the fact that I'm violating road rules.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
First of all , that last sentence is not true - I know lots of people who behave unprofessionally in only one way (or one area) but not others, and one of the most common is people who behave professionally in every way except how they dress. Second, a driving test is inherently going to be subjective in some ways - here's a link to road test points in NY. How do you have an objective standard for "follows too closely" or "poor judgement in traffic"? A two second distance might be fine under some conditions but not others. No, he shouldn't be able to decide ahead of time that you are going to fail, but there really is no way to prevent it from ever happening.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Chlo’s best friend had her driving test 30 minutes before Chlo today. On the way to the DMV, her friend texted:

“The instructor stopped my road test after 2 minutes. He didn’t say anything, just made me drive back and park. Don’t know what that means. I don’t like him.”
The first time I took my road test to get a DL I reached an intersection just as the light turned yellow, leaving me with a choice to jam on the brakes or continue through the yellow light. When I chose the latter option, the examiner told me to head back to the license bureau. Obviously I had failed but the examiner wouldn't say why at the time. I think this has long been the policy for road tests (at least in some locations), to avoid getting into arguments that for some people might turn physical.*

I doubt a prospective driver's piercings/tattoos/hair color would get her failed unreasonably. There are lots of people with these characteristics and an examiner who kept flunking them wouldn't last long. I agree that the examiner shouldn't have been wearing a MAGA hat. Why do something that is bound to antagonize many people coming in for road tests and create more tension than there already is?

*I had to wait at least a couple weeks before retaking the test and passed with flying colors. The new examiner asked me why I'd failed it the first time. When I explained he had no comment.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
*I had to wait at least a couple weeks before retaking the test and passed with flying colors. The new examiner asked me why I'd failed it the first time. When I explained he had no comment.
I reckon that, like in many occupations, there are probably plenty of examiners who wonder how the hell some of their colleagues ever got hired in the first place, and marvel that they manage to keep their jobs.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Suspended

@Tibby: Did Chlo pass a Driver's Ed course before taking her test? I ask because I too caught an unsympathetic tester my first time around but I passed because that training worked. I'll claim Driver's Ed and Typing as my most valuable secondary-school classes.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
The good thing about those wearing MAGA caps is you know exactly who Jesus wants you to pray for. That's why God also made those caps bright red and placed it on their heads, so there is no missing it. Mark of the beast, forehead location??? Hmmm
Yea, that's definitely what they need. More prayer. If it's one thing right-wing conservatives are lacking, it's prayer. Good call.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Yea, that's definitely what they need. More prayer. If it's one thing right-wing conservatives are lacking, it's prayer. Good call.
Amen!

Old 12-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Happened to me when I was in the process of getting my Virginia driver's license after only having a learner's permit. I had just exited the DMV's service road when the instructor told me to return to the DMV. Failed to come to a complete stop when turning right on red.
I failed my first time out for one error also. I drove down the middle of a one-way street in the middle of the street, not on one side or the other. And even though there was no middle line designating it as a two-lane street, the instructor failed me for it.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:43 PM

In California, the test prep materials put out by DMV state explicitly that the examiner will not ask the driver to do anything illegal. So, no "trick" questions. Or at least, they're not supposed to.

I wonder if the examiner was doing something like that in asking OP's daughter to stop at a RR crossing and then do a U-turn. Was he setting her up to turn on the tracks to see if she would?
Old 12-07-2019, 08:39 PM

Sometimes a hat is just a hat.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Sometimes a hat is just a hat.
MAGA hats excepted.