Old 01-16-2020, 04:15 PM

The Artform You Could Live Without

I went to see a musical yesterday. (Long story. The Book Of Mormon, as it happens.) At one point in the first half there was a Very Musical Moment: all the boys onstage NOW, and tapdance like your life depends on it! And I thought……Nice set. I can’t see the drummer – I wonder how far under the stage the orchestra pit goes? That woman three rows in front is very tall. Do I need a piss?

Now, I don’t hate tap. I mean, how could you? But I could live without it. If it went away for ever, I wouldn’t even notice it had gone. So that’s what this thread is about – and feel free to interpret “artform” as widely as you like. And hey, if there’s an artform that you really hate – if you loathe, say, ironing plastic beads* – well OK, go ahead and vent about that too; but that’s kind of a sidebar to this thread.

So if I woke up tomorrow and someone told me, it’s over, that’s it, tapdancing is gone for ever – I wouldn’t rejoice. Not really. I’d just say fine, and then wonder about breakfast. It’s the artform I could live without.

What’s yours?

j

* - You didn’t know it was a thing? Me either, until I ended up in a repurposed Copenhagen church where young adults (!) were doing it (even longer story). So it is a thing. But it shouldn’t be.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 PM

I really like tapdancing when it happens to appear before me, but I never seek it out, so like you I could probably live without it. I do like it though, and I'm always pleasantly surprised when it pops up in movies (I've never seen a person tap dance live).

Personally, I frequently actively dislike, and at best merely tolerate, slam poetry, so that's my choice.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 PM

I thought I'd take on some larger prey just for conversation's sake.

I like to think of myself as a guy who likes his culture, but if opera disappeared tomorrow, I don't think I'd even notice. It's one of those things (like ballet or poetry) that I pay lip service to as one of the high arts, but I never really put in any effort towards appreciating it. As many of you will say, my bad.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 PM

Adult coloring books.

(drops mic)
Old 01-16-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
if you loathe, say, ironing plastic beads...
I was just looking at those in a store, fantasizing about doing a huge mural with those beads. Might have to rent a flamethrower, an iron would take too long. My other dream mural would be a wall-sized LiteBrite.

As to the OP, for me, it'd be couples figure skating. Oh, I'll watch it during the Olympics, but meh...

~ ~ ~

But I'll tell you what we can't live without...

"Next big thing? Whaling songs. No more country music, no more classical music. Fuhgettit, fuhgettit, fuhgettit. Hello, no more classical music at this station, just whaling songs... No more rock and roll, in the dumper. Whaling songs."

(according to Bill Murray interviewing Christopher Guest)

Last edited by digs; 01-16-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 PM

Heinlein invented the "artform" I could do without in PODKAYNE OF MARS: full video+sound holographic adverts beamed at you wherever you are. But that's inescapable. So I'll nominate musical greeting cards. And Billy Fish.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:34 PM

I appreciate the skill necessary for opera and ballet, but I cannot even pretend to be interested. They could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't care.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
I thought I'd take on some larger prey just for conversation's sake.

I like to think of myself as a guy who likes his culture, but if opera disappeared tomorrow, I don't think I'd even notice. It's one of those things (like ballet or poetry) that I pay lip service to as one of the high arts, but I never really put in any effort towards appreciating it. As many of you will say, my bad.
Opera is where, when they stab a guy, instead of dying, he sings about it.

(I forget who said it.)
Old 01-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I appreciate the skill necessary for opera and ballet, but I cannot even pretend to be interested. They could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't care.
Oddly, my ten year old son just fell in love with the opera “Akhnaten”, by Philip Glass. He plays it over and over. Very surprising.

Last edited by suranyi; 01-16-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Let me be the one to drop in the requisite "old white guy whose musical tastes atrophied somewhere in the mid-70s" suggestion of rap/hip-hop/whatever the hell it is these days that the cretin in the chopped Toyota next to me at the stoplight is blaring at a volume that would sterilized frogs at 50 meters.

Gone tomorrow? Where do I sign?
Old 01-16-2020, 05:49 PM

I’m cold on Haiku
Sterile, smut-free limericks
That don’t even rhyme
Old 01-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Contact Juggling makes me sad seeing a human spend so much time to be good at something so stupid.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Let me be the one to drop in the requisite "old white guy whose musical tastes atrophied somewhere in the mid-70s" suggestion of rap/hip-hop/whatever the hell it is these days that the cretin in the chopped Toyota next to me at the stoplight is blaring at a volume that would sterilized frogs at 50 meters.

Yup!
Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
And Billy Fish.
What did the half-man, half-fish goalkeeper of Fulchester United ever do to deserve this opprobrium?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Oh, that walking a tight rope between buildings AND putting it on primetime TV. Nope. Not watching.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Contact Juggling makes me sad seeing a human spend so much time to be good at something so stupid.
That sounds like most of my life.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Funerary violin.

*snaps fingers*
Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Bagpipes.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:12 PM

I'm going to be contrarian and say Hama beads are great fun, but you really need a convenient five-year-old with you for camouflage purposes.

That thing where people dress themselves in all-over silver and busk as pretend-robots was kind of fun while it lasted. But I'm fine with its window being brief.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM

Bumper Stickers.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Football.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Abstract painting and sculpture. There are a few pieces that I appreciate on an abstract intellectual level, but emotionally, they leave me cold.

Free verse. You know the line, "90% of everything is drek"? Well, with free verse, it's more like 99.999%. Purple prose is just as good, and much less pretentious.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:05 PM

dance generally and jazz.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Football.
Beat me to it. Any sportsball type game, really.

Last edited by Jumpbass; 01-16-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

There are probably quite a few, but two art forms that I'd probably be just as happy without are

1. dance in general and ballet in particular (I'd keep the music; just don't make me watch it), and

2. rap/hip-hop.

If you enjoy these things, more power to you. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, and great artistic merit in the best of them. They just don't do it for me.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Football.
All sports. I don't hate them or anything, but sports hold no interest for me. If they all disappeared tomorrow? While the rest of the world was having a collective aneurysm, I'd be like "meh."
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
dance generally and jazz.
That's bold.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
I’m cold on Haiku
Sterile, smut-free limericks
That don’t even rhyme
I salute you.

Quote:
Like regular juggling is so intellectual? I say that as someone who can juggle a little. It's all 'hey look at this/these balls! Watch them move!'

I could probably live without free verse, although blank verse can be nice. Not that I run across much free verse in an average year.

Last edited by Yllaria; 01-16-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Movie musicals, especially the Christmas ones.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
Sports are Artforms? I don't agree. At all.

Adult coloring books are trying to be artforms, though, Beckdawrek; trying and failing.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Oddly, my ten year old son just fell in love with the opera “Akhnaten”, by Philip Glass. He plays it over and over. Very surprising.
Huh. I was all set to say opera, too--I've given it the old college try and just don't care for it--but I too went through an Akhnaten phase. The Funeral of Amenhotep III from it still stirs me; I imagine an army of dwarves marching into underground battle every time I hear it.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Several forms of dance — modern dance, ballet

Visual art — abstract Impressionism, especially of the Jackson Pollock Or Gerhard Richter type.

Music — weird boring stuff like silence or atonal stuff or stuff without melodies, avant-garde jazz

Performance art that isn’t the performance of of one or more arts like drama or music or whatever

Computer-rendered animation or illustration - I’m happy with just things that people have to make with their own hands
Old 01-16-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
I'm not a sports fan, but I've become a fan of going to the local pub and soaking up the energy of dozens of excited sportsball fanatics hootin' an' hollerin' whenever a good play is made. Oh, and they have a great Farmhouse Ale on tap, and they don't realize what a good single malt should cost...

Took a similarly-leaning friend, and we were shouting along, yelling things like "Annnd, he sported the ball!" "Better than the gentlemen sporting the opposite colors!" "You mean the colors that aren't even a compelling split complementary?" "Oh, look, the sportsball is close to our end of the lawn! Can it get any more exciting?" "I'd contend that's a definite negative there..."
Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:

This x100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Bagpipes.
This x1000

And pre-Baroque classical music, especially played on "original" instruments. There's a local concert advertised as 13th century songs. You couldn't pay me to hear that.

And BTW, I like tap dancing (have done it myself), ballet and opera (but NOT Philip Glass).
Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

What, no one has said the obvious?

Mime
Old 01-16-2020, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Sports are Artforms? I don't agree. At all.
It's just opera without the annoying music.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
What, no one has said the obvious?

Mime
LOL, beat me by 14 minutes! Honestly, if you've seen 5 minutes of Mime, you've seen it all.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 PM

I don't mind listening to mime, but watching it is unbearable.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:

You know, back when I was about 15 and rap was gaining popularity, I felt the same way. Now that I'm older, I feel exactly the same. With the exception of a handful of pieces that incorporate some rap (Blondie's, "Rapture" and Billy Idol's, "Eyes Without A Face") and one or two more rap-intensive pieces (Massive Attack's, "I Against I"), I would not miss it. That's about the extent of my interest in it.

You'd think that, being that age, it would become my thing. Not so much.

Let me tag on here, "Beatboxing." You're making farting noises. Stop it.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:04 AM

Ballet works as my answer (picking a "major" art form and not a niche thing). There's music genres I could do without but I think they all touch songs I do like here or there whereas ballet I don't think I'd miss at all.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:25 AM

Improv comedy. Thinking about the very best longform show I ever saw and how much more entertaining an NCIS rerun would have been. I appreciate its history in American comedy, but it's a bit like making calisthenics an Olympic event.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I invented a word for people like that: Macramísts. (From people who practice macramé, of course)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:39 AM

Arts I could live without? too many to name

Arts I would very much prefer to live without?
Rap/Hiphop
Abstract sculpture
Impressionists
Old 01-17-2020, 12:54 AM

The current trend of hyper-realistic drawings (not from life, just basically copying a photo much larger with pens or pencils).

Yay, you've painstakingly duplicated a photograph, just like my desktop printer does. Well done, you.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:26 AM

Atonal music.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

The ponzi scheme that is Modern Art. See well known plagiarist Damien Hirst and unpleasant weird woman Tracy Emin as examples.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
That's bold.
Not sure why my choices are particularly worthy of comment. Those are fairly common targets of distastse.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Adult coloring books.

(drops mic)
I do believe the OP was meant to include artforms **outside** of Arkansas.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I'm not a sports fan, but I've become a fan of going to the local pub and soaking up the energy of dozens of excited sportsball fanatics hootin' an' hollerin' whenever a good play is made. Oh, and they have a great Farmhouse Ale on tap, and they don't realize what a good single malt should cost...

Took a similarly-leaning friend, and we were shouting along, yelling things like "Annnd, he sported the ball!" "Better than the gentlemen sporting the opposite colors!" "You mean the colors that aren't even a compelling split complementary?" "Oh, look, the sportsball is close to our end of the lawn! Can it get any more exciting?" "I'd contend that's a definite negative there..."
This reminds me of the time I attended a party a friend threw to watch the series finale of "Melrose Place", even though I'd never seen a single episode of the series. I was spewing a lot of: "How could she?!"; "He was always like a son to me!"; "She's too good for him!"

I had a great time....

Last edited by LLCoolL; 01-17-2020 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
The current trend of hyper-realistic drawings (not from life, just basically copying a photo much larger with pens or pencils).

Yay, you've painstakingly duplicated a photograph, just like my desktop printer does. Well done, you.
In the same vein, people who literally make money by drawing WHAT IF DISNEY PRINCESSES WERE LIVING IN MODERN TIMES articles for BuzzFeed or WHAT IF ANIME CHARACTERS WERE DRAWN LIKE WESTERN CHARACTERS for Kotaku. Basically if your entire art gimmick is taking already existing characters and then just drawing them in a different style/scenario and pretending it's deep.

Also more to your point, all those Patreon artists who draw anime/video game characters "realistically" and thus they lose all their style/uniqueness.