Old 01-17-2020, 10:06 PM

I'm trying not to go crazy, but it's bad bad bad...

Mr VOW was taken by ambulance to the hospital with a heart attack. The Daughter and I are waiting while he undergoes cardiac catheterization.

Good thoughts, please.

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 PM

Oh, no. Sending good thoughts, vibes, and everything else I can think of.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 PM

I hit Send too soon. VOW, you have many friends here on the Dope. I know others will be pulling for Mr. VOW, too.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:23 PM

Oh, God. {{{{Hugs}}} for you. Good thoughts for Mr.~VOW.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 PM

I will. I brought my tablet with me, and I'm using it to distract me.

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 10:35 PM

Good thoughts being thunk.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:41 PM

All the best to your husband. But please dont forget to take care of yourself. This includes staying hydrated and eating even if you arent hungry. You're going to need your strength to take care of him as he convalesces.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 PM

All good and hopeful thoughts to you and yours.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:59 PM

I will be holding you in the light, my dear. I am glad you were able to get him to medical care swiftly.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:10 PM

He MUST get better, so I can slap the shit outta him!

He had three blocked arteries, one of which was completely blocked. That one has two stents.

One of the other ones was opened with balloon angioplasty. Then his heart stopped during the procedure. He's stabilized now, and is being moved to CCU. We saw him briefly in the hallway, thenwill see him again once he gets settled in bed.

My daughter is crumbling in front of me. I get to break down later.

And I will.

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I will be holding you in the light, my dear. I am glad you were able to get him to medical care swiftly.

Not only "medical care," but one of the best hospitals in the country. Loma Linda University Medical Center.

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 PM

I've been through it myself four years ago when I got implanted a stent, and today I heard that a friend of mine got successfully treated in a catherization the same way. It's a tried treatment. I hope all goes well and wish you the best.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:17 PM

Oh, ~VOW so happy he's outta surgery and in one of the best places. Tell daughter to calm down. I feel for her though. Girls dont like Daddys going and croaking on them.
Do NOT , I repeat DO NOT go and get yourself in a pickle with your neck. Don't even think of sleeping in a chair at the hospital.
I lit a candle for 'Sarge'.
Good vibes on the way!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-17-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:28 PM

Catheterization, I don't know if that qualifies as "surgery." We'll have to hear from Qagdop on that.

I hope I spelled that right!

I brought my "noodle" which is what I call my neck pillow!

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 11:41 PM

It's surgery.

IANanykindofD. But if you're knocked out and in an operating room it's surgery. IMHO

(Noodle? Come on ~VOW.)

If you need anything PM me.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-17-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:48 PM

It's a travel pillow, bendable foam, shaped like a pool noodle! It's a noodle!

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

I hope he recovers quickly. That he got through the surgery is already a good sign. Rest as well as you can, keep yourself and your daughter calm, and remember that you both will need sleep, liquids, and food.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:36 AM

VOW, warm vibes and good thoughts and feelings for You, Mr. W, and Vowlette. (Miss/Ms W? Vowling?) Anyway, keep yourself well as best you can, and don't be shy about asking to borrow an ear if you need one.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:11 AM

Prayers and cares to you and your daughter!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 AM

Hugs to you and your daughter. Keep us posted!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
VOW, warm vibes and good thoughts and feelings for You, Mr. W, and Vowlette. (Miss/Ms W? Vowling?) Anyway, keep yourself well as best you can, and don't be shy about asking to borrow an ear if you need one.

"The Daughter."

We are with him in his room. He feels well enough to bullshit. We're not buying.

He's trying to tell himself that "he didn't really have a heart attack." Uh-huh. The PA told him his heart stopped during the catheterization.

He said, "I don't remember that!"

I said, "Well, DUH!"

~VOW
Old 01-18-2020, 01:55 AM

So glad he's awake enough to bullshit. Don't start beating him up yet. You won't get any satisfaction from it until he's more healthy.
Y'all take care. May he have a goodnight.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:14 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Ohhh, my. Lots of prayers and positive energy going out for him, and for you, VOW.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Hoping for a full recovery.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:51 AM

More good thoughts coming your way.

Take care of yourself as well. And if you have friends or family nearby, do ask for help.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 AM

Hoping for a full recovery. A heart cath isn't really considered surgery, just a procedure. But it can lead to surgery, like mine did.

Take care of yourself and your daughter, and don't be shy about asking for help.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
All the best to your husband. But please dont forget to take care of yourself. This includes staying hydrated and eating even if you arent hungry. You're going to need your strength to take care of him as he convalesces.
^ This.

Speaking as someone who has cared for many loved ones in a hospital over the years, absolutely be sure to take care of yourself - even if you aren't terribly hungry be sure to eat healthy and drink fluids. You don't have to eat a lot, but eat something. Also, one of the reasons the food in the hospital cafeteria is so blah is lack of salt. Assuming salt isn't a problem for you add a bit to anything you buy there.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
"The Daughter."

We are with him in his room. He feels well enough to bullshit. We're not buying.

He's trying to tell himself that "he didn't really have a heart attack." Uh-huh. The PA told him his heart stopped during the catheterization.

He said, "I don't remember that!"

I said, "Well, DUH!"
Healthy enough to bullshit is a good sign. And denial is normal. Frustrating to you, but a normal reaction
Old 01-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Several years ago my husband had the same type of procedure, two stents and the balloon. He was on jury duty at the time and needed to return to court in two days. He asked the Dr. if he could and was told it was up to him. He had the stents put in on Friday, went home on Saturday and went to court on Monday. So, it's exciting and all but not always a big long hard recovery. Depends on a lot of factors. Hope you get the easy kind of recovery, VOW. He should be just fine.

Last edited by kayT; 01-18-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

We are with you VOW. I have had two heart attacks, one in 2012 and one in 2018. Both times required a stent. I also did my best to minimize the incidents to my family. Soon there will be someone from the hospital to talk to you about getting him into Cardiac Rehab. This is an eight to ten week course of monitored exercise to rebuild cardiovascular health along with education on diet and health. Both times I went through this my wife went also. I felt pretty fragile going into the program, but by the end I felt really strong.

He made it through the heart cath, so recovery is in sight.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Why are some people such trying patients?? And some men, especially? My theory - traditionally, the men are the ones who want to take care of everything, and they put themselves second, or third, or 20th in priority, and it takes something extreme to make them step back. My point (if I have one) is don't slap him too hard - he's just trying not to be the burden. His role is protector, etc.

Not that knowing that makes it any easier on anybody... So I echo those who remind you to take care of yourself! Get rest. Don't eat junk. Deep cleansing breaths.

Healthy, healing thoughts to you and yours!!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:03 AM

I sure hope he continues to improve and you guys get many more years together.

Best wishes.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:16 PM

My Diabetes says I have to eat regularly, my bladder says I have to stay well-hydrated, and my neck says I have to take things slowly and carefully.

Last night I had a "blow yer brains all over the ceiling" migraine, so I guess I have built in stress-relief.

The Son and Daughter-in-law are with him now, they say he is in good spirits. After the Daughter and I get fed, she's taking a shower and I'll get dressed, and we can head for the hospital.

Mr VOW's job is to rest and heal. He will find it hard to sit still for that!

Thanks to all for your love, thoughts, best wishes and prayers. They all really do help, you know!

~VOW
Old 01-18-2020, 12:25 PM

I was awake last night and thought about you and your family. Glad to hear he's doing better today.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:36 PM

Wishing you and Mr. VOW all the best.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:44 PM

He seems to be coming along just fine, and my prediction is that all will be well. But I'm still sending positive healing thoughts along. And you can't take care of anyone else, unless you take care of yourself first, so make self care a priority!
Old 01-18-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
My Diabetes says I have to eat regularly, my bladder says I have to stay well-hydrated, and my neck says I have to take things slowly and carefully.

Last night I had a "blow yer brains all over the ceiling" migraine, so I guess I have built in stress-relief.

The Son and Daughter-in-law are with him now, they say he is in good spirits. After the Daughter and I get fed, she's taking a shower and I'll get dressed, and we can head for the hospital.

Mr VOW's job is to rest and heal. He will find it hard to sit still for that!

Thanks to all for your love, thoughts, best wishes and prayers. They all really do help, you know!

~VOW
I'm happy to hear this. Keep.him on a tight leash. Take care, sweetie.
Keep posting his recovery reports. And, tell him I insist he follow Doctors orders.
{{{Hugs to all y'all }}}

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-18-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM

It sounds like good news on all fronts except for the migraine--just what you didn't need. It sounds like you have a supportive family, and that's golden. I'm still sending good thoughts and vibes.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:33 PM

I'm so glad he's doing well. I know how stressful it is for you! The very best of luck.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Why are some people such trying patients?? And some men, especially? My theory - traditionally, the men are the ones who want to take care of everything, and they put themselves second, or third, or 20th in priority, and it takes something extreme to make them step back. My point (if I have one) is don't slap him too hard - he's just trying not to be the burden. His role is protector, etc.

Not that knowing that makes it any easier on anybody... So I echo those who remind you to take care of yourself! Get rest. Don't eat junk. Deep cleansing breaths.

Healthy, healing thoughts to you and yours!!
This meme periodically shows up on my Facebook feed, and I know that it isn't Photoshopped because I drove by it many, many times.

https://lolzombie.com/8741/stubbornness/

If (generic) you eat anything off a patient's try, let the nurse know because s/he charts the tray before it goes back to the kitchen. Thinking the patient is eating full meals when they aren't can definitely affect their treatment.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:39 PM

He is doing well, but is still a very sick boy. Tomorrow, they hope to take him back to cardiac catheterization and put a stent in that third artery.

The cardiologist told us today that the type of heart attack Mr VOW had is called "The Widow Maker."

Well, shit.

He has had excellent care (obviously!) from everyone--paramedics, ER staff cardiology, and nurses. Thank God for them all.

~VOW
Old 01-18-2020, 07:01 PM

VOW, I am sending healing thoughts. Tell him to be a good boy, then go home, unwind, and get a good night's sleep for for yourself. You must be worn out.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:24 PM

Jeez, VOW, just caught up with this. It sounds like Mr VOW is in the best place and receiving the best care. Think positive thoughts and try to get some rest.

Love.

J
Old 01-18-2020, 07:27 PM

Yes, take care of yourself, this shaping up to be a long haul.
Good luck.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He MUST get better, so I can slap the shit outta him!

He had three blocked arteries, one of which was completely blocked. That one has two stents.

One of the other ones was opened with balloon angioplasty. Then his heart stopped during the procedure. He's stabilized now, and is being moved to CCU. We saw him briefly in the hallway, thenwill see him again once he gets settled in bed.

My daughter is crumbling in front of me. I get to break down later.

And I will.

~VOW
{{{{Vow and Mr. VOW}}}}
And you're allowed a breakdown or 8. that's scary.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:13 PM

{{{VOW and MrVOW}}}
Old 01-19-2020, 12:47 AM

((((((The Vow Family))))))
Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 AM

Now the doctor is saying he has congestive heart failure as well. The recovery from the heart attack is slower because of the fluid build up.

Of COURSE I googled the shit out of "heart attack," "widow maker," and "congestive heart failure." And of COURSE now I feel like a big black cloud hangs over everything. Will we ever get back to Arizona? We've been married 45 years; will we see fifty?

Your mind goes into dark dark places sometimes.

Our kids, our kids' spouses, are such bright shining places amid all the gloom.

I'm standing on a ledge, looking into the abyss. I have a lousy sense of balance, and I'm terrified of heights.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 01-19-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 AM

Oh, VOW...step back off that ledge. You will be needed whatever happens. People live with congestive heart failure. It's a managable condition with meds. He'll have to do some lifestyle changes.
{{{Hugs}}} to you and yours, my friend.
Let us know if we can help. Just PM me.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:09 AM

He's 6'2", 300 pounds, a lot of which I now suspect is fluid that has built up gradually because of this unknown congestive heart failure.

Unfortunately, he has the eating habits of an eight-year-old. Remember the 'Mergency discussion about his stash of Hershey bars and chocolate peanut clusters?

His biggest vice is Coke...the carbonated stuff that comes in red cans. He lies-lies-lies when talking to doctors about his Coke consumption. "Oh, I only have two a day." It's more like 6 or 8. I had a doctor say to me, "Why do you BUY this for him?" Because if I don't shop around and get it at the lowest price, he'll go out on his own and pay big bucks to slake his thirst at the moment. In our penny counting days, he MURDERED my budget doing that!

The man had a childhood of deprivation, and that creates a mindset that never, ever is overcome. He eats in volume. I work to make sure the volume is healthy, but he can make a trip to the store and come home with pies, cookies, and cake.

Try to talk to him about it, and he makes a joke, or tries to find a pun in the words, or deliberately misunderstands, or argues. I'm worn down to the bone.

Add to this, I have been observing little tiny signs of ...we can call it fading, probably due to the Parkinson. He is not so impaired that his driving skills are affected. Believe me, I WATCH EVERY LITTLE THING. But I know the little cracks in cognition because of the Parkinson's will make the lifestyle education that much more difficult.

But see, I really really really need him around, because he's half my very soul...

~VOW