Old 01-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

What do you wish you had in your current home that you don't?

Doesn’t matter if it’s a house, apartment, etc. What do you wish you had that you don’t?

I would really like to have radiant flooring. I had it many years ago in Northeast Ohio when I lived in an apartment and loved it. When I was looking for a place, the manager told me about it and said, “Just put your wet jeans on the floor in the bedroom and they’ll be dry in an hour or two – no need to spend money on drying them in the machines" (we had pay washers and dryers in the basement of the building).

I now live in the Southeast US and radiant heating is not a thing here. But on those coldest, shortest days of the year I would still love to have it – especially in the bathrooms. I think it’s also much more efficient than the forced-air heat we have now.

I’d also like to have a deep sink – and that may actually happen at some point, because I do have a place for it and I don’t think it would cost a lot to do it. But the radiant heat will remain a distant dream.

You?
Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 PM

A basement, but alas, the house is built on a concrete slab, and the lack of storage space is most apparent, and getting worse as more "stuff" is acquired.

I can see why there are so many storage space rentals around here.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:48 PM

more equity
Old 01-18-2020, 08:50 PM

A winning lottery ticket.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:51 PM

new furniture instead of the mix & match shit I have now.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I'd say basement also, but not going to happen around here. A few months ago I'd have said air conditioning, but we bit the bullet and had it put in, along with heat for the addition. The people who added the addition were too cheap to put central heat in, though we seldom need it.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:35 PM

We should have bought an 8-foot stretch when we ordered this modular. An extra section through the living and dining areas would have been great. But we were being prudent. What a drag.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 PM

My kitchen is not big enough to accommodate a dishwasher. I wish this were not so.

Also, I wish that I had a screened-in back porch. That way I could sit and sleep outside and not be attacked by mosquitoes.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Range hood. Not having one really influences what and how I cook.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 PM

A bidet.

One of those tall, arched faucets in the kitchen, instead of this $%#! piddly short thing that sticks straight out (that'swhatshesaid) to make dishwashing easier. Along the same lines, a single sink (farmhouse style?) instead of this divided shit.

Chickens in the backyard.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

We don't have a basement either, though the only reason I'd want one is for the temperature modulation. It would be nice to have one during the summer. A sleeping porch would be nice too - we do have a back deck but it's not covered and I don't really want to think about how much that would cost to have enclosed.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 PM

My house is small, but mostly adequate, but the dining room is really too small (8' x 8') and the kitchen, being a galley kitchen, has no room for a table. I'd love a larger dining room that could hold more than 4 people.

I'd also love a 2nd bathroom which would go in the basement.

My dream would be to put a small mother-in-law accessory dwelling unit in the backyard, but to build one here runs around $250,000 and up.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:03 PM

A utility sink. And an electric cow zapper to shock anybody (myself included) who tries to dump stuff all over the kitchen island. And a swimming pool, as long as we're dreaming.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

a) A second refrigerator

b) A walk-in pantry

c) A double-basin stainless steel sink instead of the single we have now

d) At least one chest freezer

e) In my bedroom / office, I'd like a nonstop array of 3 prong outlets, one every five inches in a double row all across the baseboard on the back wall where all the computers and related paraphernalia sit. Like 250 of them total.

f) A sturdy gasoline-powered generator. Or better yet, an electical service that didn't go out in every freaking storm.

g) A heated garage with either a lift or a pit below/between the wheels.

h) Rehearsal space sufficient for a mid-sized choir, with recording apparatus, good acoustics (not dead but also not echo-y), well lit.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:10 PM

If I won the lottery or something, the first thing I'd do is put in a shower with plenty of room to move around. Showering in a narrow claw foot tub with cold, clammy shower curtains trying to cling to your skin at every turn really sucks.

The second thing I'd do would be to put in a utility sink in the the basement. (We have one of those, at least.) They're so handy when you need to clean something you don't want to use another sink for. Like your shoes after you've stepped in something some dog's owner couldn't be bothered to clean up.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 PM

A janitors closet.

Basically a room where you store mops and brooms and with a utility sink and a catch pan and floor drain for dumping out buckets or washing things (like the dog) so you dont have to use your bathtub or sink.

I do building maintenance and these come in handy.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:33 PM

A bigger yard. I'm happy with the house, but I'd be happier being farther from the neighbors.

Oh, and a maid.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:48 AM

Fireplace with insert.

Currently don't have room for one. They require a lot of wall space.

My last apartment had a fireplace that I enjoyed using. The house that I purchased had everything I wanted except the fireplace.

I occasionally rent a cabin at the state park. I always use the fireplace if it's winter.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:29 AM

Laundry room upstairs. I knew I wanted it when we built.
The contractor and Mr.Wrekker talked me out of it. I know, I know. Disaster waiting to happen. Heavy appliances that have to be replaced. Yada, yada, yada. Heard it all.
I still think most laundry is generated from upstairs. That means it has to be brought down, laundered, folded and dragged back upstairs. PITA.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-19-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:57 AM

Renovated the bathrooms 3 years ago. Should have gotten a bidet.

Cozy window seat for reading/web-surfing.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:02 AM

A backyard with a pool.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:29 AM

An oven, and the first thing I'd make would be lobster macaroni and cheese.

Cheezus, not even three weeks into the new year and we're griping already.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:46 AM

I have a forced air heating system. I would prefer a floor hot water heating system.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:22 AM

A better view. I only have one window that actually looks out at something and that something isn't exactly postcard-worthy.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

More insulation.

A second bedroom - I'm a bit cramped, but I'll deal with it.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:47 AM

A fenced cat yard for my herd (That one IS in the works, I just need it like 2 weeks ago).

A roomba to keep up with the grit and hair that come with sandy soil and lots o' pets. (Also definitely planned, but the one we want is $1300 so it'll be a while!)

A better kitchen layout. This house that we just bought has a stupid corner sink arrangement - a double bowl where each bowl parallels one leg of counter, and their corners point at each other with a small bit of counter between. The faucet is in the V of the bowls, and there is something about that arrangement that is instant backache for me. No matter what I do there's a weird twist in the way I need to stand. Also the dishwasher is put so that if you are at the sink rinsing dishes to put in it, you have maybe a foot and a half of space to stand in when the thing is open. It's the only thing about this place that I really don't like.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:00 AM

A pool table.

We like our house, but it was designed with tiny rooms. We could afford it, but there's no single space big enough.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:11 AM

A paved driveway.

A garage.

Brick or siding.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Renovated the bathrooms 3 years ago. Should have gotten a bidet.

Cozy window seat for reading/web-surfing.
I give you the bidet toilet seat. It's relatively easy to install and there are many models to choose from. This one is probably the simplest, and works well.

For me, I wish we had a second bathroom. There is a half bath in the basement, but the only basement access is outside. Fine for contractor use, but not convenient for regular use.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I am really pretty happy with our house. it isn't a mansion by any standards, but it is paid for and in very good condition. I would like a bigger kitchen though
Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 AM

I'd like to add on a 23' x 26' two car garage on to our basement with a asphalt driveway down to the paved county road. After that I'd like to expand my master bedroom 6', and expand the other 3 bedroom about 10' in opposite directions. I'd like to turn my current carport into a 26' x 26' shop and curing shed. Then I'd like a new monosloped roof to get rid of the flat roof. I'd like the random storage room in the basement turned into a wine cave and mud closet. I'd like the mechanical room converted to a mechanical room and a bathroom. I'd like the family bathroom converted to a master bathroom and the guest bathroom converted to a family bathroom. I'd like the deck rebuilt into a low maintenance trex.

That's the construction plan for the house for the next 20 years. I've got an equally long list for the yard
Old 01-19-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
I have a forced air heating system. I would prefer a floor hot water heating system.
I bought the house I grew up in when my mom died. It was built in the late fifties. It had hot water heat in the concrete slab. It was nice until the pipes in the floor started to have leaks. My dad had to jackhammer up the concrete floor to fix the pipes at least twice. Before she died my mom had forced air gas heat put in. I wouldn't have bought the place if it still had the hot water floor heat.
I'm sure they use a more corrosion resistant pipe nowadays but fixing leaks is a big deal.

My answer for this thread would be a modern efficient fireplace or a big wood stove. I have an abundance of available firewood and would love to be able to supplement heating the house in the winter. I have an old fireplace but it sucks out more heat than it provides.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Laundry room upstairs. I knew I wanted it when we built.
The contractor and Mr.Wrekker talked me out of it. I know, I know. Disaster waiting to happen. Heavy appliances that have to be replaced. Yada, yada, yada. Heard it all.
I still think most laundry is generated from upstairs. That means it has to be brought down, laundered, folded and dragged back upstairs. PITA.
Ha! I tried to talk my wife out of it, but she wouldn't budge. She wanted stack-able washer and dryer in the master suite and a regular size set in the "laundry room." I tell her frequently how right she was. Take off your dirty clothes, throw them right into the washer. An hour later, throw them into the dryer. Take them out, put them away. Never leave your room. The kids can do their laundry downstairs and not bother our routine.

Back to the OP, for us, it's probably a pool or a dock. No space for a pool, can't get a permit for the dock.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

A high-end elliptical machine.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

A walk-in pantry would be sweet - but we'd have to completely remodel the kitchen to do it. Not gonna happen.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 PM

A urinal. I'd prefer a bathroom with a urinal and a toilet rather than just a toilet.

Granted I have a bathtub but its not the same.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-19-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Here’s where I live https://www.halstedflats.com/floorplans/0.1

520 sq ft apartment means a small bedroom, only enough room for a full size bed.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:56 PM

Love.

And a wood-stove.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Love.

And a wood-stove.
Yeah but where are you going to get a wood stove this time of year?
Old 01-19-2020, 02:09 PM

A Jacuzzi tub. (no place to put one)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:09 PM

Jesus, Oredigger. Just move! Seems simpler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I give you the bidet toilet seat. It's relatively easy to install and there are many models to choose from. This one is probably the simplest, and works well.

For me, I wish we had a second bathroom. There is a half bath in the basement, but the only basement access is outside. Fine for contractor use, but not convenient for regular use.
Is it basically like the sprayer thingie next to the faucet on some kitchen sinks?
Old 01-19-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Is it basically like the sprayer thingie next to the faucet on some kitchen sinks?
It's built into the toilet seat. The handle you see on the side is just the valve to turn it on. When you rotate the handle, the water pressure forces a small spray arm to project under your bum and spray water upward.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Not on your life. We bought this place 6 months ago for $200k under market value. We're on a acre with a spectacular view. The house was well maintained but literally hadn't been updated in 70 years. I've already gutted and rebuilt 1000 sqft of the living room, kitchen and entry way this summer and added $150k to the value of the house. When it's all said and done we'll have a 2-3 million dollar home that we will have paid less than $750k for and that's not counting market appreciation.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I want my waterbed back (but I rent); I want my own washer and dryer; I want adequate counterspace (place was built in the late 60's, when apparently no one had small appliances).
Old 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM

We live in a mobile home in the Sacramento area. We only have a swamp cooler in the roof to keep us cool in the summer. With temps in the 100s every summer, it doesn't do any good. We need air conditioning. We've been quoted $9000 for a new air conditioner. No way we can afford that.
My mother, who's 91, can't stand temps that high. When it gets too hot, we have to abandon the house and go other places till the house cools off in the evening.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:34 PM

An emergency exit. There's only the main staircase for two habitable floors, full basement, and walk-in attic. I'm thinking of installing at least a fire ladder from the upper floor.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:46 PM

Another one wishing for a basement. I'm in Florida and houses don't have them here. It's not practical because the water table is too high, moisture and flooding would be a constant problem. Grew up with one in Michigan though so I know how useful they can be.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar; 01-19-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
One of those tall, arched faucets in the kitchen, instead of this $%#! piddly short thing that sticks straight out …
Years ago, when our kitchen faucet was dying, I bought one of those. It is not arched, rather, just up and over (inverted-L). And it has two tap handles, because, in the kitchen, you typically use hot water or cold water but rarely need to blend them, so fuck those joystick things that end up where you have to struggle to find off when they get old.

Then, recently, I went with my mom to get her a new faucet. All of the two-tap models were arched, and when I looked at them, it was clear that the water would be coming out at the same spot as with a regular short faucet even though the arch part was some 6" higher.

I mean, why? I really like my tall outlet faucet. Why would the lower outlet be preferable?
Old 01-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Central heat, for God's sake. Central heat.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Here’s where I live https://www.halstedflats.com/floorplans/0.1

520 sq ft apartment means a small bedroom, only enough room for a full size bed.
I feel your pain, but moreso. I lived several years in a 400 square foot apartment. There were no drawers in the kitchen, and laundry was in a laundromat in a separate building.