View Poll Results: Bloomberg vs. Trump in November
Bloomberg 164 82.00%
Trump 15 7.50%
Third party 11 5.50%
Write in 7 3.50%
Stay home 3 1.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2020, 07:07 PM

If Bloomberg gets the nomination, how do you vote?

I think it's still unlikely that Bloomberg will get the Democratic nomination, but I also thought Trump could never get the Republican nomination, so what the hell do I know?

So, say Bloomberg winds up on the November ballot. How would you vote?

Bloomberg is awful. Stop and frisk was a bad policy, he seems to have no fixed principles apart from plutocracy, and I want someone with experience at the federal level. But he's far less awful than Trump, so he'll get my vote. I won't go to the polls with a spring in my step, but I'll go. Now, full disclosure, I once voted for a dead Democrat over his very much alive Republican opponent, so I'm what you might call a partisan. But Trump is operating concentration camps and running the government like a crime syndicate, so as long as I'm reasonably confident the Democrat will be better than that, I'm on board.

What about you?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:28 PM

In such a case, I vote Bloomberg. No matter what can be said about Bloomberg that is a drawback, or not actually good, there's no fucking way Trump is a better choice.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I'll stay home. Bloomberg is just like Trump only more articulate.

No thanks.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Clarification: "Stay home" should have included "don't vote for POTUS but vote in other contests".
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want Bloomberg to be the Dem candidate. But this is just wrong.

If nothing else, Bloomberg believes in climate change and wants to take steps to mitigate its worst impacts. If this were the only difference between them, that'd be more than enough to make me cast my ballot for Bloomberg in a hot minute.

But Bloomberg also won't appoint judges from the Federalist Society. He won't be quite so fast to imprison immigrant children. He won't cozy up to Putin.

He's a terrible tool, Machiavelli reborn, and I don't at all want him to be the nominee. But you better believe I've got my clothespin ready for my nose just in case.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 02-15-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 PM

I'm voting for whoever gets The Dem nom. Also Bloomberg is very little like Trump. He is pretty Green is the biggest difference. That makes him easy enough for me to vote for.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:54 PM

I had forgotten that he's pretty good on environment. That does make it a lot easier for me to vote for him.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Green or n, Bloomberg is an entitled narcissist racist who thinks he can buy his way into the WH.

Also, he's only running to save himself billions of dollars.

And really, do we want the Presidency to be a Billionaires only club?
Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 PM

Bloomberg. I have no idea if he means what he says on his issues page, but it isn't really bad policy. And its light years better than Trump. Also it would prevent the GOP from appointing more judges for another 4 years.

However if Bernie wins a plurality of delegates and they give the nomination to Bloomberg who has far fewer delegates, I'll be pissed and disappointed. But I'll still vote for him since he is much better than Trump.

However it would just verify how important it is to get money out of politics.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 02-15-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I'd vote for anybody who's not Trump.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:16 PM

If Bloomberg's the nominee, I'll vote the same way I likely will in the Michigan primary: for Mike Bloomberg.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Green or n, Bloomberg is an entitled narcissist racist who thinks he can buy his way into the WH.

And really, do we want the Presidency to be a Billionaires only club?
Sure, but in Trump vs Bloomberg, the lesser evil is pretty clear. He's less racist, less narcissist and far more green than Trump. Also a lot less sexist while we're at it. Also far less likely to kowtow to Russia and embarrass us with the world.

Look a steaming pile of shit better than Trump, so hold your nose and vote for Bloomberg or Biden or whoever if it isn't Trump. I'm hoping for Bernie at this point too, but I'll take anyone the Dems shove on us, just like last time.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Solid blue Illinois. I vote Bloomberg. I don’t do protests, I don’t do 3rd parties and I don’t stay home. The same goes for Sanders.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 PM

I'm trying to think of what rival could make me vote Tramp. An animated corpse? A talking dog turd? No, they're better.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I'm trying to think of what rival could make me vote Tramp. An animated corpse? A talking dog turd? No, they're better.
All I have is Ted Cruz. Then I would go third party.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I like him better than Tulsi and I don't think he'd be horrible overall.

Against Trump!? I've vote for Jeff Sessions or Mike Pence if they were the only folks running against Trump. David Duke might give me pause.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
All I have is Ted Cruz. Then I would go third party.
The only way I'd go third party is if:
1) I lived in a state where the outcome wasn't in doubt; or
2) I genuinely couldn't tell a difference between how horrible they'd be.

Set me up in a race between Pol Pot and Robert Mugabe, and I'm gonna be spreadsheeting human rights violations to figure out which one to vote for. My new favorite quote is Rebecca Solnit: "Voting is a chess move, not a valentine."

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 02-15-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm for Bloomberg because it looks to me like he might beat Trump. And it looks to me like no one else the Demos have to offer can do that. So it's an easy choice.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 PM

Bloomberg is pretty awful, but if my vote mattered I would hold my nose and vote for him. As luck has it I live in a blue state in an electoral college system, so it makes more sense for me to vote third party in presidential elections
Old 02-15-2020, 09:17 PM

I would vote Bloomberg. Shitty as he is, he's still orders of magnitude less shitty than Trump.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

True blue no matter who.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 PM

I've really developed a dislike for the entire banana Republican party, so it would probably be "blue no matter who" regardless of who the Republicans were running. But with Trump it really does become a no brainer. I don't really care for Bloomberg, but he's still way better than Trump.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Any action other than voting for the Democratic nominee is morally equivalent to treason.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:51 PM

Definite "lesser of two evils" situation there. Bloomberg.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I would vote Bloomberg. Shitty as he is, he's still orders of magnitude less shitty than Trump.
I agree 100%, although the chances that Mikey will get the nod are about 0.00000001%.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:41 AM

I'm ultimately a person of negotiable virtue like nearly everybody, so I almost certainly grit my teeth and vote for Bloomberg, in the hope that both parties being taken over by odious authoritarian oligarchs is a temporary glitch in the system and that the short-term political goals will be worth the longer-term risk. But the last time the pro-democracy party acquiesced to a deal with Satan in exchange for some short-term power (1876), it took 90 years to undo the damage.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 02-16-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
I'm ultimately a person of negotiable virtue like nearly everybody, so I almost certainly grit my teeth and vote for Bloomberg, in the hope that both parties being taken over by odious authoritarian oligarchs is a temporary glitch in the system and that the short-term political goals will be worth the longer-term risk. But the last time the pro-democracy party acquiesced to a deal with Satan in exchange for some short-term power (1876), it took 90 years to undo the damage.
And if we don't address global warming soon, how great will the damage be, and on what scale of time will that damage eventually unwind itself?
Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:

No thanks.
Wow. I'm sorry for your ignorance.

Quote:
Cite? (That's sarcasm; I know you got nuttin'.)

I do NOT consider myself a Bloomberg Brat, but I try to stamp out ignorance wherever it raises its head.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:13 AM

Bloomberg is literally my last choice in the Democratic primaries, but I'd vote for him over Trump. I'm not sure I'd vote for him over Bill Weld, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Wow. I'm sorry for your ignorance.

Cite? (That's sarcasm; I know you got nuttin'.)

I do NOT consider myself a Bloomberg Brat, but I try to stamp out ignorance wherever it raises its head.
Let's see.

BOTH are racist
BOTH been sued for sexual harassment
BOTH hang out with the same circle of friends.

But yeah dude, I'm sure they're worlds apart.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Let's see.

BOTH are racist
BOTH been sued for sexual harassment
BOTH hang out with the same circle of friends.

But yeah dude, I'm sure they're worlds apart.
Do you suppose Bloomberg would appoint more justices like Brett Kavanaugh?
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Bloomberg, the difference being that this time around I am thinking of donating money, and ironically you can thank the phone spammers for this. They've pushed me over the edge of despair at ever being able to be left alone when I want to, so running the annoyance of campaigns hitting me up constantly wouldn't make things that much worse than constant phone spam.

But I wouldn't give money to Bloomberg, he has enough as it is.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I believe that both are only looking out for their own interests, but there's a subtle but important difference between them. Bloomberg wants things to be as good as possible for himself, regardless of other people. If he believes that he can do something to help everyone, himself included, he'll do it, because it helps himself. Trump, however, wants things to be better for him than for everyone else. If he believes that he can do something to hurt everyone except for himself, he'll do it, because it makes thing for him more better than for them.

All that said, Bloomberg is my penultimate choice in the Democratic primaries, ahead only of Gabbard.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:08 AM

Well said, Chronos. Trump exemplifies that woman who said we need to make sure we’re hurting the right people. I get none of that vibe from Bloomberg, despite all his many faults.

(Yes, I know that stop and frisk hurt certain sorts of people unfairly. Still, Bloomberg didn’t implement or extend that policy FOR THAT REASON).

Last edited by JKellyMap; 02-16-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:12 AM

Bloomberg of course.

A real poll would be if in some alternate universe the choice was Donald Trump vs. Donald Trump Jr. That would be a tough one, we could hope Sr. would die in office. On the other hand, Jr. doesn't hasn't had as many years polishing his con game. And might actually be stupider. Not sure if that's good or bad, depends on what you look for in a crook.

I just had a horrifying thought. Can Trump boot Pence and change his running mate?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Also there's the fact that Bloomberg seems to be a neurotypical adult, while Trump shows signs of severe cognitive impairment. That's a pretty big mark in Bloomberg's favor.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Also there's the fact that Bloomberg seems to be a neurotypical adult, while Trump shows signs of severe cognitive impairment. That's a pretty big mark in Bloomberg's favor.
Bloomberg - "Where I'm from, we measure height from the neck up"
Old 02-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Well said, Chronos. Trump exemplifies that woman who said we need to make sure we’re hurting the right people. I get none of that vibe from Bloomberg, despite all his many faults.

(Yes, I know that stop and frisk hurt certain sorts of people unfairly. Still, Bloomberg didn’t implement or extend that policy FOR THAT REASON).
How do you know this?

And for the "certain sorts of people" whose lives were ruined over this policy, why do you think they should be comforted by this reasoning?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 AM

I'm not going to vote for a racist, authoritarian who is blatantly opposed to the rule of law when it applies to him. That describes both Bloomberg and Trump, so there's no way I'd vote for either of them. If the country has really sunk so low that we end up with both major parties fielding candidates that belong in dystopian fiction, I'm not going to give it my endorsement. The fact that Bloomberg is even being seriously considered by anyone is a sick joke, it's like the Democrats are thinking that doubling-down on 'lesser of two evils' rhetoric instead of nominating an even vaguely decent candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
He won't be quite so fast to imprison immigrant children.
Not sure why you'd believe that he'd hesitate to imprison non-citizens, he was super fast to imprison Americans for the 'crime' of high melanin content, then coerce them into taking plea deals to avoid being kept in hellish prisons while a trial dragged on.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Bloomberg.

Is this even a serious question? Refusing to vote is simply enabling the person you least agree with.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Not sure why you'd believe that he'd hesitate to imprison non-citizens,
Children.

(And that sort of cute-twist argumentation tastes like saccharine, and I wish you'd knock it off.)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:12 AM

Bloomberg is flawed, but I'd still vote for him. Substitute "any Democrat", or indeed "any human", or even "a wet dog turd" for Bloomberg and I would still vote blue. Don Tweetosaurus is the biggest threat to democracy that the world has ever seen and he must be defeated.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 AM

I've only seen bits and pieces of Casino, but isn't there a scene where the casino owners take a guy in the back room, hold him down, and force him to choose between having his hand cut off with a Skil saw or smashed with a hammer?

I was just thinking of that. No reason really.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 AM

If it were me, I’d vote Bloomberg. But I wouldn’t blame anyone who decided not to vote. People keep forgetting that Trump isn’t the problem. He’s a symptom of the problem. The problem is money in politics, and it’s quite literally impossible to think of a more in-your-face demonstration of that problem than having a Johnny-Come-Lately Billionaire buy himself the Presidency. His slogan might as well be “Get fucked, peasants”.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 02-16-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I'm not going to vote for a racist, authoritarian who is blatantly opposed to the rule of law when it applies to him. That describes both Bloomberg and Trump, so there's no way I'd vote for either of them. If the country has really sunk so low that we end up with both major parties fielding candidates that belong in dystopian fiction, I'm not going to give it my endorsement. The fact that Bloomberg is even being seriously considered by anyone is a sick joke, it's like the Democrats are thinking that doubling-down on 'lesser of two evils' rhetoric instead of nominating an even vaguely decent candidate.

Not sure why you'd believe that he'd hesitate to imprison non-citizens, he was super fast to imprison Americans for the 'crime' of high melanin content, then coerce them into taking plea deals to avoid being kept in hellish prisons while a trial dragged on.
Thank you.

People don't seem to know that stop-and-frisk had a huge impact on children. I've been reading some troubling accounts of teachers who witnessed their students (elementary school-aged) harassed by the police on their way to school. Trevor Noah talked about this the other day. Imagine being bullied by the police day after day. Eventually you're going to do what all victims of bullying do--run away. Running away from the police earns you a trip to jail with a busted-up face. Or worse.

And then white folks get to turn around and vilify black and brown people for not trusting the police. That's white privilege for you, though.

I am not sure who I would vote for between Trump and Bloomberg. From what I've read about the latter, he just seems like a richer, smarter, more sophisticated version of the former. That's a scary proposition to me. Look, I care about the environment too. But I also care about civil liberties and having a president who doesn't see people like me as servants who are too irresponsible to be trusted with home loans or guns. Those aren't trivial things to me. I have learned from my fellow liberals that it would be stupid for me to vote against my own self-interest. So this is why I'm ambivalent.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:32 AM

I'm cheering for Bloomberg to win over bernie in a contested convention.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:53 AM

What are the psychological effects of stop-and-frisk?

Quote:
For a subset of the area’s residents, stop-and-frisk meant a seemingly never-ending stream of police stops, some of them a bit over-the-top. One evening, for example, “20 officers surrounded a man outside the Brownsville Houses after he would not let an officer smell the contents of his orange juice container.” Citizens who were just trying to live their lives had to adjust. “Young black men get stopped so often that a few years ago, Gus Cyrus, coach of the football team at nearby Thomas Jefferson High School, started letting his players leave practice with their bright orange helmets so the police would not confuse them with gang members,” the article notes.

And while maybe these stops didn’t often lead to arrests, sometimes they did, and sometimes those arrests were questionable....

Here, for example, is a story about a man in Crown Heights getting arrested for possession … of a straw for his soda. And here’s one about a guy named William D. Peppers who fell asleep on an empty, early-morning subway car on his way to work at a bakery in the Bronx and was woken up by a police officer: “Mr. Peppers had put his feet up on a subway seat,” the article explains, “and that, the officer informed him, was a crime — one that in his case would lead to his arrest. He spent 12 hours in jail before he saw a judge, and was released after pleading guilty.” I’m not cherry-picking: While the “crime” of putting one’s feet up on a subway seat can be dealt with via a ticket, the article notes, “roughly 1,600 people like Mr. Peppers were arrested [in 2011], sometimes waiting more than a day to be brought before a judge and released, according to statistics from district attorneys’ offices.” Peppers’s story is nothing compared to a case that yielded a court judgment against the city: “New York City paid $150,000 to Juan Castillo, a diabetic, who was arrested for putting his feet on a subway seat after he briefly lifted his leg to inject himself with insulin while riding a Manhattan-bound F train to work.”
Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
How do you know this?

And for the "certain sorts of people" whose lives were ruined over this policy, why do you think they should be comforted by this reasoning?
Good points. I’m about to take a long car trip, and I will think hard about both these points.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:25 AM

I'd vote for Bloomberg in that case. Better an evil spirit than the devil, himself.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I will stab myself in the thigh while doing it but of course I’d vote for Bloomberg in those circumstances. Any other choice is a vote for Trump.