View Poll Results: Which is the funnier movie?
AIRPLANE! is funnier than BLAZING SADDLES 178 60.96%
BLAZING SADDLES is funnier than AIRPLANE! 114 39.04%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2020, 11:53 AM

AIRPLANE! vs. BLAZING SADDLES - Which is the funnier movie?

Sorry Mods - I needed a poll so I placed if here instead of CS.

Pretty much what the thread title asks. Between these two movies, and only these two, which is the funnier movie? Yes, I know,other funny movies exist. You might even say that one or more of them are funnier if you want to ....be...wrong? Those other movies are completely outside the scope of this thread though.

Just my opinion, BLAZING SADDLES is the funnier movie because Madeline Kahn was three days dead and still funnier than Julie Hagerty was on her best day.

Poll coming
Old 02-16-2020, 12:01 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Equally but differently funny.

Blazing Saddles was more brilliant. More levels and all that.

Last edited by running coach; 02-16-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Blazing Saddles is a series of jokes that make 12 year olds giggle. There’s no question that Airplane is funnier.

Many things in Blazing Saddles aren’t even jokes. Like the farting scene. It’s just a bunch of guys farting. He never bothered to write an actual joke for that scene.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-16-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:32 PM

I watched a chunk of Blazing Saddles recently. It really has not aged well, IMHO.

Airplane still cracks me up.

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 02-16-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

Blazing Saddles was more brilliant. More levels and all that.
Agreed. Blazing Saddles had a point to make in addition to the general satire and silliness. Namely - racism is bad, and racists are stupid buffoons. And it does a great job of pointing and laughing at bigots.

Airplane was, like the later Naked Gun, an exercise in how many jokes can you cram into one movie. But the critical difference between Airplane and a run-of-the-mill comedy was the great percentage of the jokes were GOOD. It was relentless, but also maintained a high quality. Very rare.

Both are must-see movies, but I definitely consider BZ the better film overall.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Airplane. Blazing Saddles was a product of its time, not even copious amounts of good weed make it funny today.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:11 PM

Blazing Saddles makes me laugh like an idiot. Airplane just makes me groan. Put me in the BS camp.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:22 PM

"Airplane!" Both are great, but "Airplane!" has more jokes packed into it: even jokes you don't pick up on after viewing it two or three times. Hell, I watched some YouTube scenes a few months back and only then realized that when they were dragging Roger Murdock out of the cockpit he was wearing basketball shorts! I've seen the movie maybe a dozen times and just noticed that!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:35 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Blazing Saddles.

It's like comparing guavas and rutabagas, but Mel Brooks beats the Zuckers any day of the week.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Airplane.

I like both, neither is my favorite, but Airplane just makes me laugh more.

I like Blazing Saddles but it seems more like a product of its time. I mean They're not wrong, Racism is bad, but I don't need a movie to point that out. I can appreciate it was a good message when the movie came out, though.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Blazing Saddles is a series of jokes that make 12 year olds giggle. Thereís no question that Airplane is funnier.
Right. "Don't call me Shirley" will stand the test of time. Unrestricted farting, however...
Old 02-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
You can create polls in CS. Just sayin'.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
You can create polls in CS. Just sayin'.
Is that new or was it always thus? Am I just a low grade simpleton who would fall for Bart's Candygram?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Is that new or was it always thus? Am I just a low grade simpleton who would fall for Bart's Candygram?
I don't know if it's new, but there are currently two polls on the front page of CS.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Part of what makes Airplane! funny is that so many serious actors act like goofballs. As Robert Stack put it: "Lloyd, we're the joke."
Old 02-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Blazing Saddles is a groundbreaking and very well done satire. That bigger intent in Blazing Saddles makes it a better movie IMO. Airplane is a firehouse of well crafted jokes. That focus on just being funny shows.

Airplane.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:29 PM

Interestingly, it looks like they both have the exact same score on IMDB.

(Which is to say, ďbelow Young FrankensteinĒ.)
Old 02-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mongo like CS polls!
Old 02-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Blazing Saddles, if only for Madeleine Kahn singing "I'm Tired". A side-splitting send-up of Marlene Dietrich in Blue Angel. When she has to take a breath in that long note, I lose it every time.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:08 PM

Blazing Saddles has some intensely funny scenes and some scenes that just fell flat even when it was new. Some of the bits (Harvey Korman banging his head on the window frame, e.g.) are just groan-inducing instead of funny. The whole ending is just a hot mess, as far as I'm concerned. Once the fake town is built (sorry, spoilers) I just zone out. The plot doesn't really hold together and the whole movie seems to me scattered and unfocused.

Airplane, on the other hand. has a (borrowed) plot that holds together all the way to the end of the movie, which makes it seem more polished and more a finished product. Not all the jokes are funny but most are. My vote therefore goes to Airplane.

You didn't ask, but compare both to Young Frankenstein, which outscores both movies on every level except for acting - writing, jokes, bits, and integration of the jokes and bits into the plot, right to the last frame (Ah, sweet mystery of life indeed).
Old 02-16-2020, 04:33 PM

Airplane. Didn't even need to ponder on it.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:46 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Quote:
As was already mentioned, you can create polls in CS.

Moving thread from IMHO to CS.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

"Where all the white ladies at?" is perhaps the funniest single line in movie history. It's either that or "Well, nobody's perfect" from Some Like It Hot.

I have to give this battle to Blazing Saddles because just thinking about moments like the one I mentioned make me smile.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

"But where would I find a man like that?"

(pause)

"What am I looking at you for?"
Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 PM

They are both great. Both in my top 10 comedies. I give Blazing Saddles the slight edge. I actually think Airplane! has aged more as so many of the references mean nothing to younger people. I know my kids prefer BS to Airplane!

I think it is really close though.

Oh, as to Some Like it Hot, I'm still confused by why it is so well regarded. Though it seems to be a generational thing. Now Arsenic and Old Lace is timeless, Some Like it Hot is really dated.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Blazing Saddles, if only for Madeleine Kahn singing "I'm Tired". A side-splitting send-up of Marlene Dietrich in Blue Angel. When she has to take a breath in that long note, I lose it every time.
I've always thought it was a sendup of Dietrich in Stage Fright (1950 Hitchcock) where she sang "The Laziest Gal in Town." Her voice was like 2 octaves higher in Blue Angel.

Which takes nothing away from your point about the scene, which is for me the highlight of the movie.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:25 PM

I went with Young Doct......, wait, no, Blazing Sandals since YDF isn't in the poll. Reasons put forth above; social commentary, it's got musical numbers!. I'll watch any of the three on late night TV if I can't sleep.

Personal rank:
1. Y D F
2. Blazing Saddles
3. Airplane
Old 02-16-2020, 05:26 PM

Nowadays Iím still able to sit through Airplane! in itís entirety. Canít say the same for Blazing Saddles. Saddles has some classic lines and scenes but thereís a lot of filler thatís just not funny. Harvey Korman just ainít that funny. The finale of the chase through the Hollywood sets ainít funny.
In a way itís a lot like Caddyshack. Classic memorable scenes and lines but quite a slog to sit through these days.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Bite your tongue! Harvey is what holds the whole thing together. Every minute on screen is gold.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
I went with Young Doct......, wait, no, Blazing Sandals since YDF isn't in the poll. Reasons put forth above; social commentary, it's got musical numbers!. I'll watch any of the three on late night TV if I can't sleep.

Personal rank:
1. Y D F
2. Blazing Saddles
3. Airplane
What movie are you talking about with the initials Y D F?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

It's a close call, but I gotta go with Blazing Saddles.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 02-16-2020, 07:41 PM

Blazing Saddles, by a mile. I find Airplane! unwatchable anymore.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
He's putting a "Dr." in Young Frankenstein.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
They are both great. Both in my top 10 comedies. I give Blazing Saddles the slight edge. I actually think Airplane! has aged more as so many of the references mean nothing to younger people. I know my kids prefer BS to Airplane!

I think it is really close though.

Oh, as to Some Like it Hot, I'm still confused by why it is so well regarded. Though it seems to be a generational thing. Now Arsenic and Old Lace is timeless, Some Like it Hot is really dated.
I agree with this post 100%
Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Aye; I know that and you know that, but he doesn't seem to know that. Hence my gentle and good-humored reminder, trying to allow him a chance to call out his own mistake in a similarly good-natured manner.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:11 PM

It's BS all the way - right up until the closing scene. I get it's a send-up of movie cliches, but for me that just is a real damper on what went before.

I think others have it right. BS has the higher, more surreal moments (because you can almost convince yourself you are watching a real movie) - Airplane is just straight vaudeville, and never stops. Both great.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
The finale of the chase through the Hollywood sets ainít funny.
Sure it is. like riding off into the sunset to a
SPOILER:
horse trailer and a limo
is funny as hell.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

If I had to pick, which I did, it's Blazing Saddles. Both are great, though I think BS has deeper humor behind it. (Despite the farting scenes and all that.)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I was never a big fan of Blazing Saddles, even at its release. I get that it's funny in a sophomoric way, but even as a sophomore I thought the jokes obvious and tiring. LOL in parts, yes, but overall it doesn't do much for me. It may be the pacing.

But I acknowledge...even celebrate...that Blazing Saddles was made with love and care by a great many people who knew that what they were making was special.

Airplane!, on the other hand, was a film where really only Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker knew what what was going on, or had the vision of how these straight-delivered lines would come together. And like most other ZAZ films, I laughed heartily the first half-dozen viewings. Even now, I'll stop and watch their films on TV if I run across them, and smile frequently even though I know all the dialogue.

On the tangent of Young Frankenstein: it isn't a laugh-out-loud film for me EXCEPT for the scene with Frankenstein at the [uncredited surprise actor]'s hermit hut. I think I may have pulled something internally. Even now, I know what's coming, but it is still one of my top-3* funniest film moments ever. But: not that I don't find the rest of the film dull or unfunny; I love the whole thing, but it isn't a "laugher" for me, but rather I appreciate the love and care that went into its making.

* YF's monster dance scene also nearly killed me the first time I saw it
Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Quote:
Aye; I know that and you know that, but he doesn't seem to know that. Hence my gentle and good-humored reminder, trying to allow him a chance to call out his own mistake in a similarly good-natured manner.
All the above and no one commented on me spelling "Saddles" as "Sandals" the first mention. I did that on purpose; nothing from the peanut gallery. Subtlety is dead.

I can't help it if the original title should have been, "Young Dr. Fronkensteen*."

*one of the quotable lines from the film if that's too obscure.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Surely you can't expect us to vote against one of these classics?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I'll agree with many others that Airplane is as many jokes as it's possible to cram into a movie.

Where I'll disagree is that I think that's what makes Blazing Saddles the funnier of the two. It's a coherent whole. Even if there aren't the raw number of jokes, they support each other, and work together. And that makes the whole all the funnier.

Yeah, the fourth-wall-breaking ending didn't really work right. That happens sometimes when you're taking risks. And taking risks is necessary for any sort of great art.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Itís an entirely different kind of funny, altogether.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I've always thought it was a sendup of Dietrich in Stage Fright (1950 Hitchcock) where she sang "The Laziest Gal in Town." Her voice was like 2 octaves higher in Blue Angel.

Which takes nothing away from your point about the scene, which is for me the highlight of the movie.
In "Blue Angel", Dietrich sings "Falling In Love Again", which is why I assumed it was the object of the satire.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:26 AM

No vote. Differently funny. AIRPLANE is all brief gags and ends well. SADDLES is deeper with longer gags, and ends... thankfully. But Alex Karras insisting, "Mongo STRAIGHT!" kills me. Better than Peter Graves asking, "Have you ever seen a man naked, Timmy?" But Lloyd Bridges *did* pick a good day to stop sniffing glue and floating about. Nice gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
On the tangent of Young Frankenstein: it isn't a laugh-out-loud film for me EXCEPT for the scene with Frankenstein at the [b][uncredited surprise actor][b]'s hermit hut.
Oh, that car-chase guy, sure. He could have had better roles. At least Feldman's eyes didn't give out. BTW Brooks beat me out but he could afford this: I saw the electro lab gear from the original FRANK at a San Francisco shop circa 1972 but didn't have the cash or space for it. Mel's props gal got that stuff. They used it nicely so I can't whine.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 AM

Given the choice between authentic frontier gibberish and Jive, I'm going with Jive. There are good bits to Blazing Saddles, but Airplane! tickles my funny bone more thoroughly.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 AM

Blazing Saddles has better characters, better setting, and a better story, but I think the jokes in Airplane! held up better over the years. True, Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder (among others) never fail to make me smile, and again, I love the characters, but scenes like the fireside farting, some of the Mongo scenes, and the fake townspeople are a little flat for me.

It's narrow. I REALLY like the Blazing Saddles universe, but I guess I'm going with Airplane! as the funnier movie. I think if OP had asked which was the BETTER movie, I'd have gone with Blazing Saddles.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'll agree with many others that Airplane is as many jokes as it's possible to cram into a movie.

Where I'll disagree is that I think that's what makes Blazing Saddles the funnier of the two. It's a coherent whole.
That might be the first time I've ever heard "coherent" used to describe BLAZING SADDLES in any way.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Blazing Saddles is a BETTER movie, but that’s not what the poll asked, I chose Airplane! as the FUNNIER movie.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That might be the first time I've ever heard "coherent" used to describe BLAZING SADDLES in any way.
But it is. The plot of Blazing Saddles is that a corrupt governor is trying to get a town to sell their land cheap to a railroad company by making their lives intolerable, and the primary way he's doing that is by appointing a black man as sheriff. And everything in the movie fits in with that basic plot. The plot of Airplane! is that there's some sort of disaster on a plane that needs to be resolved before it can land, but it's basically irrelevant, because nothing in the movie relates to that plot at all. It'd be almost the same movie if it were set in a restaurant, or a cruise ship, or a session of Congress, or almost any other setting you can think of.