1832/whats-the-verdict-on-the-loch-ness-monster

“Keep looking until you find it!” isn’t science-it’s wishful thinking.

Here’s an interesting breakdown of the LNM.

King Kong as a catalyst is an interesting angle to take. Though it kinda interesting that Avatar didn’t spawn a whole new bestiary of cryptids–testament how inconsequential it is as a cultural touchstone, methinks.

The OP should not was authoritative on subjects he seems to know nothing about.

This is a fundamental failure to understand the basics of Science.

Take the Earth being round. (I hope, hope, hope you’re not a Flat Earther as well.)

Why is it round? Due to the enormous pressure of gravity. But can we do an experiment to prove this? That is, can we assemble a planet size mass and see if becomes round over time? Of course not!

What do we have instead: data, calculations, etc. Exactly like with human caused global climate change!

I have no idea why people with such an deep lack of basic knowledge about something question the results produced by experts.

I’ve often wondered if it was a big hoax by the locals made in order to bring in tourist money.

Yep, I’ve seen the promotion materials - “Tired of freezing Titan? Come visit Earth, it’s nothing but warmth, warmth, warmth, all Earth-year long. Earth - we’ve got nowhere to go but up!”

Such a thing has been done. IIRC It was the Silver Lake Serpent.

Updating this thread depressing news:

No, not until you take away the “air quotes” from the word “evidence”. There is scientific evidence that clearly shows that humans are pouring greenhouse gases into the atmosphere at an alarming rate. We know exactly what carbon dioxide and, even worse, methane do from laboratory experiments. We can clearly measure how much CO2 is being belched into the atmosphere. We clearly see evidence of the warming earth releasing pockets of what used to be frozen methane into the atmosphere.

It’s not AT ALL like the Loch Ness myth.

I don’t see that as depressing – those motherfuckers are HUGE.

But are they screaming eels?

And is your hovercraft full of them?

Just as a heads-up, this thread was started 3 years ago, and the OP has not been active for more than a year.

WAS (not was) :smiley:

Apologies for the earworm!

Interesting… no mention of catfish or sturgeon DNA which I assumed were the prevailing theories these days.