19 Years and still unable to drive!

46 and still not driving (brought up in London with good public transport, now I use trains + taxis).

One of my pupils got a sports car from his dad when he passed his test. Pupil wrote it off within 20 minutes (£53,000, yes £ not $!). Naturally his insurance policy had a £7,000 excess.

How? I live in Orange County and can’t fathom living in So. Cal. without a car.

I’ve heard that Woody Allen has never learned how to drive, which probably is not that unusual in New York City (or any large city, as we can see from glee’s post.)

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Henri B. Stendhal

It’s fairkly common for New Yorkers to not drive. Many don’t even have a license, and more have a license but do not use it.

Yer pal,
Satan

Coldfire… hon… its usually men who do that… the ole… wont stop for directions routine… women are naturally gifted in finding their way wink

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

Buses and taxis, Arnold. I spend a couple of hundred dollars a month on cabs --part of which my employer pays back, since they don’t have to pay for my parking – and maybe another hundred on buses. Still way cheaper than driving.

If you hate driving enough, there’s always a way!

Catrandom

don’t sweat it, hon. My mom didn’t get her license til she was 35(New Yorker gone Jersey) Well, now that I think about it, she drives, and she’s not a bad driver really, she just doesn’t have alot of confidence in her driving, Guess she’s just a strap-hanger at heart.

so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. what’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Tori Amos

I didn’t learn to drive until I was 24. I have never owned a car; here in Toronto you don’t need one to get around. Even in the regions (the outlying satellite cities and towns) you can live without one if you pick your location with care. Occaisionally I rent one for a weekend…

I’ve wanted to do too many other things with my limited supply of cash (like buy software, take music lessons, and plan for a house) to spend most of it on car payments. I also found that I disliked the internal combustion engine in grade-nine auto shop.

I may buy a car in the future: I’ve my eye on the Toyota Prius.

But unless I pay 5000 dollars for laser eye surgery I’ll never have good-enough night vision to feel comfortable driving in the dark.

Sterling:

I know more than a few folks who had driver’s licences in the US and then they hauled off and joined the military. Got stationed in Japan and all of a sudden, because they’re younger than 20, no driver’s license.

How’s that for a letdown?

I’m 31 and don’t have a license and don’t want one. At first the reason was taking the road test. I am terrified of someone watching me and grading me when I do stuff (I was a wreck at my state boards for my cosmetology license!). So I never went. I have had a permit off and on for years but I always let it expire.

Years go by, I get along without a car and now I don’t need one. I walk to and from work, and everything else is pretty much in walking distance. I’ll pay for a taxi or use of the bus if I have to.

People ask me how I get along without a car. They say they’d be lost without theirs, but ya know, I never had one and you can’t miss what you never had. I can’t afford one, either. Even if I got a free car I can’t afford the upkeep or insurance costs.

I’m doing fine without a car and I don’t mooch for rides. In fact, people are always insisting on getting a ride from them because they cannot fathom that I actually want to walk (I LOVE walking!). The only time I take them up on it is when the weather gets bad and I’m unprepared.

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

19 and don’t drive? No big deal. Not everyone has to be the same. Our culture is too car-oriented anyway.

NOTE TO SUNDANCE: Careful, laser surgery can often make night vision even worse. Do some research if you’re seriously considering having it done.