1984 Question

Winston describes looking forward to the bullet in the brain in an interior monologue after seeing Julia, but then they both rush into a crowd that is celebrating a victory of Oceania over…er…Eastasia. I mean, Eurasia. Wait, which one are we at war with, again?

Great movie. I recommend the Criterion release so you can compare the chopped American cinematic release, the full length European release, and the “Love Conquerers All” network television version.

Sam Lowry: Excuse me, Dawson, can you put me through to Mr. Helpmann’s office?
Dawson: I’m afraid I can’t sir. You have to go through the proper channels.
Sam Lowry: And you can’t tell me what the proper channels are, because that’s classified information?
Dawson: I’m glad to see the Ministry’s continuing its tradition of recruiting the brightest and best, sir.
Sam Lowry: Thank you, Dawson.

Stranger

The one we’ve always been at war with, of course.

Such people are unpersons: they don’t exist, they never existed. So no harm, no foul.

In retrospect, I should have said “knowingly allowing a member to die with a criminal thought intact.” Yes, I know it’s all semantics; but the combination of doublethink and crimestop takes care of things quite handily.

As to the original question, my take on it is that Winston is be undone by his instincts, both as a human being and a Party member. As a human being, he (like the vast majority) freezes in the first moments of a crisis. At the point where this first reaction might pass away, the instincts of a Party member — raised from infancy (or in Winston’s case, from adolescence) to automatic obedience to the telescreen — take over. (In fact, Winston remarks on how unthinkable it would be to disobey.) Finally, when the guards enter the room, a different motivation comes into play: the desire to give them no excuse to hit him. At that point it’s all over.

The fact of the matter is that Winston, for all his idealistic talk, is a coward (at least in the sense that he fails to take action when doing so might have made a difference). I can’t be too hard on him, though: this just puts him in the same boat as the vast majority of the human race — including, most definitely, yours truly.

The State knows everything, though, so you are oldthinking. Your statement is crimethink and against the principles of Ingsoc.

You, sir, are a doubleplusgood duckspeaker.

Unfortunately, you are correct: I unbellyfeel Ingsoc.

Now with that said, you’ll have to excuse me: there’s a trim black-uniformed figure with a face like a wax mask at the door asking me to accompany him to the loo. At least, I think that’s what he said — with a face like a wax mask, he wasn’t articulating very well.

This is the film ending I remember. Although if you say there are two endings it must be so.

Also another question; how did Britain’s working class who in 1948 (when Orwell wrote the book) was highly educated (well compared to the rest of the world anyways) and strongly involved in politics become no better then Russian serfs in the space of a generation?

They were technically American serfs. Oceania was the result of American expansian, Eurasia grew out of the USSR and Eastasia the Chinese.

Some of Winston’s fragmentary childhood memories describe an atomic war in the fifties:

That could have been a sneak Soviet attack or even an American one.

Also note that it wasn’t necessarily a single generation: There’s no way of knowing what year the book takes place in (yes, the year is called 1984, but does that mean anything?).

Orwell makes that point explicitly in Chapter One:

I can imagine it being 1982-1986, but it’s a little less likely to be 2024.

I was once in a video rental store and saw a copy of 1984 on the shelf.

In the Romance section.

I thought it must have been incorrectly shelved, but I checked the box and it was tagged as belonging in Romance. I guess someone had a…unique…interpretation of the film.

Winston clearly remembers a capitalist society and a revolution thus it’s probably sometime in the 1980s. Also the old prole does remember the Hyde Park, capitalists, top hats, and so on.