2 jobs, 2000 applicants! Argh!

Hi Quartz. It’s really hard, for you and everyone else in the same trap, but you have to try and stay positive. Put it this way, if you stay positive, you’ve at least got a chance of achieving what you want. If you don’t, if you get stuck in a negative mind rut, it’s unlikely you’ll get anywhere.

About the gazillion other entrants. Don’t get too down about the stats. I’d like to confirm what others have said. I used to do a lot of hiring and the vast majority of applicants (for most any postion) are totally unfit for the job and impossible to hire. This woman may have received 2000 applications, but there will only be about 20 or 30 at most that have a serious chance of being hired. The odds are tough, for sure, but not as tough as you think. And she’s probably exaggerating anyway.

People disqualify themselves from getting hired all the time, usually in lots of little ways. What used to astound me was how people would make a big song and dance about how much they really wanted/needed the job, but either would not or could not make the effort to get even little things right. Maybe there’s a simple form to fill in - they lose it, make a mess of it, forget to send it back or forget to bring it with them. They turn up late for the interview. They were asked to bring two passport size photos and they bring one or none. They are given an appointment, agree to it, then ring up the next day and want to change it. They are asked to bring references and forget, or simply don’t bother. They are asked to bring a sample of work with them, and forget or don’t bother. It goes on and on. It’s just madness… why should I give the job to them, instead of to one of the other applicants who got these simple tasks right and turned up on time?

So… don’t get too down about the stats, and be one of those people who get the little things right and pay attention to small details. Hard thought it is, keep that positive air about you, especially if you actually get as far as a face-to-face. It doesn’t make a good first impression if you have an air of ‘I’m desperate, depressed and pessimistic’. It’s much better if you walk in with an air of, ‘Sure, times are tough, but I’m a good match for this job, this job is a good match for me, and I’m looking forward to this chat’.

Your CV is your face to the world. Make sure it’s as good as it can be. Get people to help you with it. There’s plenty of good advice for free on the internet. It has to be the best advert for you that it can be. Content, style and presentation are all important.

Having perfected your CV, check the papers (or online equivalent) and any other source of job ads, every single morning, and promise yourself you will make three good applications every singe day, to positions for which you are well suited. In each case, send off the paperwork with your Super Perfect CV, and then 2 or 3 days later follow it up with a nice, friendly phone call in which you contrive to achieve a face to face.

Make this process your daily work effort until you get a job. Paper and stamps are cheap, and if you can’t afford them your local Job Centre or equivalent will supply them for free. And lots of applications these days are done online, so you don’t even NEED a stamp.

When people have a job, they constantly complain about not having enough time for anything else - time for hobbies and interests, time to clean the house, time to read or study, time to spend with friends and family, time to see to DIY repairs, time to exercise and get fit, time to take up painting or write a novel or go for walks or learn to cook make a really good bechamel sauce. Well, you’ve got time now!! Use it. Times may be tough, you may have money worries. But you DO have time. Enjoy it as much as you can, while you can. As soon as you get a job again, you’ll be moaning how you never have time for anything else!

Try not to get down. Loud rock music, laughter, jokes, stupid clips on Youtube, the company of good friends, fresh air, sunshine… these are good things to enjoy for little or zero cost. Remember that in many ways you still have many blessings. You are better off than 90% of the people on the planet, and better off than 99% of all the people who ever lived. I have friends who lost everything in the Aussie bush fires, and another whose wife is undergoing cancer treatment. See your problems in perspective, difficult though this can be at times.

Look after yourself. Get enough sleep, try not to give in to stress - it’s the biggest killer of all. Tell yourself that when someone DOES give you a break, and at least gives you an interview, they are going to see someone who is fit, healthy, happy, positive, well-rested and relaxed.

Good luck, and remember… this too shall pass. Every life has its ups and downs. This is just one chapter, not the whole story.

The job of post editor springs to mind. What do you reckon that would pay?

(emphasis added)

Quit following Quartz arround applying for the jobs he’s qualified for already!

It’s stuff like this that makes me despair. I’m graduating in May from graduate school. I’m getting my resume ready to go next week. I do have a job until the end of May, but after that I’ll be pounding the (virtual) pavement with everyone else.

It doesn’t help that the majority of my training is in education and there’s a state hiring freeze on right now. I don’t know if my ESL stuff will save me from that.

A little respect, please… he crawled his way to the top of the ass-heap, beating 2,000 other applicants.

So elucidator, you have yelled at me for not offering anything to the OP but a platitude, but what have you offered him? You’ve only yelled at another poster fore displaying insufficient levels of liberal douchiness on the SDMB.

And I didn’t just offer a platitude. Lots of the posts on the SDMB show that people need to be reminded from time to time that they are responsible for the outcomes in their lives, so if they don’t like domething then thwy should get busy changing it.

It is a useless platitude. The problem is not in his education, it is in the economy. I know plenty of people with Ph.Ds in engineering looking for work now. Just about every company in Silicon Valley is laying off people. Losing out to 100 people is not going to be all that much more comfortable than losing out to 2,000.

There aren’t 2000 people in the world qualified to do my job.

Quartz, there is a silver lining here. Hiring managers hate getting 2.000 applications, since everything has to stop as they wade through them. Forget about this job, keep sending out resumes, but also see if you can make some personal connections. I hope you are asking everyone you know if they know of any openings. Try to identify some places where you’d fit in, and call or even visit. Leave your resume, and ask them to call you if anything shows up. Maybe it never will, but if you have a good resume, and are good at selling yourself, they might decide to give you a shot to avoid facing a horde of applicants. At least you might be at the head of the list. You have nothing to lose but some time and some gas money.

Good luck!

Which is. . . what, exactly? So far you’ve been a rich-clientele lawyer, a big project contractor and a super elite businessman.

There aren’t 2000 people in the world who get paid to be a big, fat liar?

Maybe he’s a Congressman.

A Republican Congressman.

ETA: Crap - I hope I haven’t just violated any no nasty insult rules.

I suppose you can post quotes with links where I’ve claimed to be anything other than a tax lawyer? If you don’t, then we will know who the big fat liar is (hint: you).

Executive in Charge of Inventing New Spellings?

Well, there may indeed not be 2000 people who are as much of a professional grade-A prick as Rand Rover, but I’m pretty sure there are.

Anyway, I think the OP is perfectly capable of comparing ianzin’s and Rand Rover’s posts and determining which one offers sincere support and advice and which one basically says, “shut the hell up, you whining wanker”.

Since you genuinely don’t seem to understand the way in which you are being a jerk, your snarky comment is much akin to having you make a comment that you went to a restaurant last night and the food was bad, and then I jump in to say that you shouldn’t worry about the quality of your food, because you’re way too fat.

I note with some irony that some people need to be told when they are acting like assholes. And it is very rare that those people accept the well-meaning criticism, as it is very common for the jerk to argue that he was actually doing someone a favor by being blunt, or whatever.

I understand now. Being an ass is all you know.

This is an honest to god true story.
I have a recently laid off friend who was a would be rocket scientist. He graduated at a time that NASA was no longer recruiting and decided to learn IT. He went back to school and started working in his new field. Our company lost clients who couldn’t get funding for their projects.

He was laid off from the company where I work and hasn’t been able to find another job. It’s been 6 months. What type of training would you suggest?

Rand Rover, my day didn’t start out too well, but when I saw your post, it made me smile.

You’re like a wind-up monkey toy, as dependable as ever. I was kinda bummed out last night when I actually agreed with something you said. But today, things are looking brighter.

Thanks for making me smile.

Motorized Trike Salesman and a professional one at that.

I don’t think that’s a good analogy. My post was responfing to the hopelessness the OP expressed about his situation. It’s therefore more like the fat person says “I just can’t lose weight” and I say “it is physically impossible to not lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat.”