2001: A Space Odyssey

That was a very long meeting.

Hey, HAL wasn’t evil, he was just trying to do the job he had been assigned. A very important job. Sometimes you have to take drastic measures when a job that important is threatened.

priority one
insure return of organism
for analysis.
All other considerations secondary.
Crew expendable.

I recently watched it on the big screen in 70mm. A great experience, and my appreciation for it has gone up a notch which I didn’t think was possible.

I’ve still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

Note: before and after the meeting each had their own separate issues regarding the Earth in the sky.

Circulate the minutes of the meeting, HAL.

Speaking of HAL, mystratfordnow.com is reporting that Douglas Rain has passed away at the age of 90.

The BBC confirms it: Douglas Rain: Actor who voiced Hal in 2001: A Space Odyssey dies - BBC News

Excerpts from the Alex North score which Kubrick decided not to use in 2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256NgMW4tQw
I think he made the right call.

I purchased one of the CDs of North’s score, and I have to agree. Much as I liked North’s work in Spartacus (also Kubrick-directed) and Cleopatra, I think the straight classics work much better in 2001.

Especially since the music North wrote included several cues for the Dawn of Man sequence, which is far better as silent (except for the brief monolith throb). North’s music for the moon stuff is actually quite lovely, though provides a very different emotional tone than the J.Strauss waltzes do.

Thanks for the links. The music behind the introduction seemed way too complex for the minimalist images and titles. I thought I heard a bit of “Rite of Spring” ancestry for the drum heavy music behind the apes fighting. It would have been interesting to see what it was like when mixed in properly with the movie.

Still, silence, especially for the beginning of the Dawn of Man sequence, is much better.

Reproduction 2001 big movie posters up for sale: http://www.historicaviation.com/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-Movie-Poster-On-Moon/productinfo/0071154/

2001 is like a Charles Dickens book. Way too long, but with some delicious stuff in it.

Edit the movie down 30 minutes, and I think you’d have a better viewing experience.

A cool *2001 *photographic project. Click for closeups: Kubrick's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - All 611 Shots | VashiVisuals Blog

Just learned that Kubrick was honored two years ago with the naming of a mountain after him on Charon, Pluto’s moon: Kubrick Mons - Wikipedia

Having just read the “Space Odyssey” book recommended here, I can honestly say that Kubrick was quite a dick. His off-the-cuff working style is one thing, but he would just throw away the studios money (in huge quantities) on whims with no idea if he was even going to use the purchased item. And he was so controlling and overbearing.

Have you heard how Kubrick infuriated George C. Scott after the filming of Strangelove?

No, I have not. Do tell.