2008 earth impact of Rose Bowl stadium sized asteroid predicted?

The asteroid, 2004MN4 (which is now called 99942), is set to miss us by “tens of thousands of miles” in 2029. But the gravitational interaction between the Earth and the asteroid means that it is more likely to make it hit us in 2036. However, if it did hit the damge would be substantial but not deadly on a global scale.

NASA has a plan to deflect the asteroid should it prove to be dangerous.

More information can be found here.

Stranger,

Interesting - I have heard that scientists have been saying recently that much of the extinction following the K-T event happened much quicker than first thought. Possibly on the order of months or even weeks. That’s admittedly anecdotal on my part, but it is typical of the differences of opinion in the scientific community.

The Cretaceous period was indeed a hotbed of volcanic activity - the planet was a pretty hostile place to be. Certainly the poison gas and other effects of high volcanic activity could have contributed to further extinctions after the initial kill of the K-T event. But, without a 65 million year old web cam to capture the whole thing on tape, there’s no way to know exactly who died off when.

My reply was intentionally broad-stroked. It was a simple reply to rebut another post, which I believe it still does. There are many facets of this issue that could be discussed, none of which has much to do with the OP. The general opinion, which I believe you and I share, is that if a big enough asteroid is headed for the third rock from the sun, you’d best get your shit in order.

About 3 million years ago Donny & Marie Osmond had a TV Variety show, you’re eclectic enough probably to remember it. For some reason I can recall a faux newsclip they did announcing the discovery of life on Canada. It was a primitive and brutal form of humanoid life, the daily existence of which involved protracted battles on frozen bodies of water over what appearecd to be a mint wafer.

I wish I could forget more of that show.
:: wanders off humming “I’m a little bit country, I’m a little bit rock’n’roll…” ::

You know, the instant intelligent life picks up the transmissions of that show, they’re going to send an armada of horribly beweaponed space cruisers to wipe us out. I only pray it’s soon.