2016 Illinois Senate Race: Who takes on vulnerable Mark Kirk?

I also hope that Kirk gets replaced. By a REAL Republican, not a RINO like himself. Lisa Madigan will hopefully be in jail by then, along with her old man.

Not that I have much hope of any of that happening in this corrupt state.

Mike Ditka!:slight_smile:

He says that he is. I don’t know what other Republican moderate they’d dig up otherwise if he didn’t run. Maybe Jim Oberweis could launch a failed campaign for the 40th time.

I don’t hate the guy but I don’t have a good reason to vote for him either. After his stroke, he became more outspoken on social issues, saying that coming near death taught him that life is too short to spend fighting who should marry who and things like that. On the other hand, during the shutdown he seemed more worried about getting in photo-ops with visiting veterans and whining about the WWII memorial than actually working to find a solution. I lost a fair amount of respect for him as a result of that since he was supposed to be one of the “moderate” bridging voices. He did sign on at the 11th hour to the compromise proposal but he’s lying if he says he was instrumental in writing it.

Ultimately though, he’s part of a political party I mainly see as “the problem” so a vote for him is a vote for that structure. I assume that this will be the thrust of the campaign against him especially after his voice is needed to align with the GOP’s to defeat filibusters and the like for the next couple years.

Bill Foster is potentially looking to take on Kirk for the Senate

I don’t see Foster having the same chances as Duckworth but it’ll really come down to what the presidential ticket looks like.

Oh, shit! I’m out of district but I donated when he was running against Oberweis for Hastert’s seat, and not I’ll never get rid of him.

Maybe global-warming-believing Old Mark Kirk will run against global-warming-skeptic New Mark “Greenland!” Kirk. :stuck_out_tongue: Cite. Another cite. Moderate Mark Kirk, we hardly knew ya! :frowning:

Looks like Duckworth is probably planning a run

Be good for Democrats if she does since she no doubt has the best chances out of the probable candidates (I don’t view Madigan as probable).

She’s also the most conservative Democrat you’re likely to get in Illinois, making it a small victory for Republicans.

We might see the same thing in California, with the very liberal Boxer hopefully being replaced by someone more like Feinstein.

Silver linings, I suppose.

She’s also honest. Always a plus.

Joe Walsh to possibly challenge Mark Kirk. I doubt Walsh is going to mount any sort of serious campaign and is probably just self promoting himself. Still, this could force Kirk to run more to the right, he’s already waffling on climate change.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/7/71/374228/joe-walsh-tea-party-mark-kirk-2016

Isn’t Walsh the guy who didn’t pay his child support?

What happened with Adam Kinzinger? I know he’s an R (and farther to the right than Kirk), but does he have his eye on any higher offices yet?

I’m sure he does, but primarying Kirk probably isn’t wise for him. I think he’s waiting for Durbin to retire.

I used to be in Kinzinger’s district (before he got redistricted) and he’s a regular on the AM local shows so I’ve heard him a bit and paid attention since he was my Congressman at the time. He’s charismatic with a friendly audience but I don’t see anything in him that would appeal to the Democratic parts of the state. He’s been a straight R vote in Congress, pro-life, voted in favor of a “Traditional Marriage” amendment to the constitution, repeal ACA, loosen gun restrictions, anti-immigration reform beyond “fence the borders”, general hawkish foreign policy, etc. If Illinois ever decides it doesn’t want a moderate Republican but rather a complete right-winger I suppose he’ll find his niche in a Senate election. Until then, he’s safer in his new majority-red district.

Walsh has zero chance of winning the nomination and less than zero chance of beating Duckworth in the general.

Kirk’s job approval at 44.5% Not good for an incumbent senator. Senator Durbin is at 53.7%

Poll

I wonder what Tammy Duckworth’s approval rating is? I did a quick search, but didn’t find anything.

Duckworth is in, goodbye Kirk!
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/476096/rep-tammy-duckworth-announce-senate-monday?utm_source=Chicago+Sun-Times&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=332378_duckworth-CST-032715&ID=332378_duckworth-CST-032715&dm_i=2JCP,74GQ,2HTEEL,FPRL,1

A deeply blue state was always going to be difficult for a Republican senator. Illinois is in desperate trouble so hopefully Rauner can begin turn around process.

Tammy Duckworth is running for Kirk’s seat. She’s a Rep. at present, and a triple-amputee Iraq War veteran.