24: Season 7: Episode 17 (12:00am - 1:00am)

Maybe she already used those stem cells to grow whats-his-name’s hand back.

JON VOIGHT tosses double-crossing CHAIRMAN onto oversized MAP OF THE WORLD.

PRESIDENT: Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!
Seriously, though, why haven’t the U.S. presidents of the 24-verse learned to stop taking phone calls from terrorists? :rolleyes:

To further beat the thoroughly dead horse: honestly, just once I would like to see this exchange on 24:

In the SITUATION ROOM:

PRESIDENTIAL AIDE: Uh, Madame President, we have an incoming call from BIG BAD TERRORIST GUY. He has somehow hacked into our proprietary satellite switchboard socket protocol’s precompiled headers, and he wants to speak with you personally.

PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: We’re in the middle of an airstrike here! I don’t have time to chat.

AIDE: With all due respect Madame President, it sounds urgent. He probably wants to cloud your judgment by making an irrational and desperate threat and thereby weasel his way out of the undeniable weakness of his position.

PRESIDENT: [With much VIM and VIGOR] I’m fucking busy! Shitcan that call right now, Mr. Aide!
Meanwhile, back at EVIL TERRORIST HEADQUARTERS:

TERRORIST GOON 1: Sir! The call went dead. They cut the line.

BIG BAD TERRORIST GUY: [With EMPHASIS] Um, shit.

TERRORIST LIEUTENANT: [Whining LOUDLY] How are we going to weasel out of our situation by clouding the president’s judgment with an irrational, desperate threat now?

GOON 2: Wait, sir! The line’s active again!

GOON 1: Something’s coming through!

BIG BAD: Excellent! Hand me my list of demands!

GOON 2: …It appears to be a photograph of the President’s buttocks.

BIG BAD: …

Ugh. I guess I’m especially sore about this example of incompetence on the part of 24’s writing staff because it has deprived me of one of the few things that makes the show tolerable: enormous explosions. They’d better find a way to pack three times the explosion quota into next week’s episode, or I’m going be awfully tempted to give up on this season.

24 has always been on the absurd side of realistic, but I can’t see what possible explanation they can give for Hodges’ actions, much less all of the Starkwood people that are in on the conspiracy. What possible endgame could they have? Where’s the profit in this? They’re openly declaring war on the United States government, and while I’m very good at suspending disbelief for 24, this is just ridiculous.

Maybe Hodges has a spaceship… and he’s a Cylon!

Obviously not. David Palmer won the 2000 election in the 24 Universe, and that other guy (Keeler?) won in 2004. (Some place Palmer as winning in 2004, but look at the type of cellphones in use in S1-2, and no way does that timeline work. No one in 2004 would’ve been caught dead with those models.)

Further, from the above wiki link: “Unlike embryonic stem cells, the use of adult stem cells in research and therapy is not considered to be controversial as they are derived from adult tissue samples rather than destroyed human embryos”

So your little backhand to President Bush wasn’t really needed in any event.

But it was appreciated. :slight_smile:

Ah, thanks. Would those help cure the biological weapon damage, though…? And more importantly, would they allow me to grow my own Shakey’s Pizza?

I still say Kim’s brain is made up of the embryonic stem cells…